Wilson should start | The Boneyard

Wilson should start

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Ik he isn’t playing today, but I’ve seen enough with Polley. Shooting 26% in conference play, 14% from 3. Even worse, 2 rebs per.
Wilson will only get better on offense as the year goes on, and he is far better on the boards/defensively.

Reaction Score
If Polley isn’t hitting jump shots there’s not much use for him. He doesn’t rebound. He doesn’t play good defense. And he can’t handle the ball well. The kind of player that can’t start on a good team. If he can be more consistent hitting shots he can come off the bench in the future and be useful.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
He always makes a couple of nice dribble drives to the hoop that make you think he may be a baller. And then sh hits the bed for the next 20 minutes of game time and you remember how limited he is.

Reaction Score
Sid is definitely the future but until he gains strength and skill he limits them by clogging the floor on offense and not being able to physically compete on defense. Polley is struggling in conference but at least he still provides spacing on O and real length on D.

Reaction Score
They’re both not very good right now and while you’d like to think SIDS better on D it’s only those wonderful blocks otherwise he’s lost. Polley not making shots makes him close to worthless I’m afraid. Need a 4 badly

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If Polley isn’t hitting jump shots there’s not much use for him. He doesn’t rebound. He doesn’t play good defense. And he can’t handle the ball well. The kind of player that can’t start on a good team. If he can be more consistent hitting shots he can come off the bench in the future and be useful.

There's some guy on here that keeps insisting he's a good defender (huskymagic iirc)--mind boggling take.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
After last year I thought Polley was going to bulk up and gain some confidence. You have to think the kid can shoot. But he has been a huge ? out there. He is a horrible defender, period. When he started to lose his shot, his misses were close, a lot of in and outs. Now he just missing or deciding not to shoot when open.
Why he is starting is another DH decision that is puzzling. With Sid hurt today I get it but he hasn't been hurt during prior games.

Reaction Score
There's some guy on here that keeps insisting he's a good defender (huskymagic iirc)--mind boggling take.
I don't think he's as bad of a defender as some people make him out to be, but Sid has potential to be an elite defender and adequately guard 4 positions in this conference. Until Polley can hit some shots, Sid should be playing far more

Reaction Score
Polley is going through the same kind of huge slump that Anderson had last year. Anderson went 0-22 from the arc over a number games. It killed Anderson's season, he never recovered. Polley has to figure a way to fight through it. If he does, he can help this team.

Reaction Score
Polley is scared, Sid isn’t. The decision is easy for me
This is my problem with Polley:

Pros: efficient offense
Cons: Defense, Rebounding

Normally, I would say you can live with that trade off. But Polley never looks for the ball. His usage rate is so minuscule that no matter how efficient he is offensively, he can’t outweigh his negative traits. The low usage also allows defenses to cheat helping defend Jalen, Gilbert, and CV. Those guys are our whole team. We need defenders to be pulled away from them.

Polley is talented and skilled. But he is so timid that he kills his value. It’s frustrating, but I think it’s just how he is.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Sid is definitely the future but until he gains strength and skill he limits them by clogging the floor on offense and not being able to physically compete on defense. Polley is struggling in conference but at least he still provides spacing on O and real length on D.
Sid is a way better defender right now. He also boards well too

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I hear you. I just don't think Sid is ready to start quite yet. It feels like he'd pick up 2 quick ones if he were to start.
By this time next season (maybe even by conference tourney time), Sid will either be starting or ahead of Polley, but Polley will be a contributor if he stays the next couple years. He needs more development, both physically and mentally. But if you watch Polley you can see that there is a very good basketball player in the making. He looks smooth out there, has a pure looking jump shot, and some real nice footwork at times. He has great length. He just plays so, so timid.
I think Polley will turn into a really nice player, but it's going to take some time with the coaching staff and Alosi. He needs to do whatever camp or anything that DeAndre Daniels did between his freshman season and the 2014 NCAA tournament.

Edit: Ok dam, I did not realize just how highly touted DeAndre Daniels was coming out of high school.

Reaction Score
Polley is going through the same kind of huge slump that Anderson had last year. Anderson went 0-22 from the arc over a number games. It killed Anderson's season, he never recovered. Polley has to figure a way to fight through it. If he does, he can help this team.
We become a much more potent team with someone making threes from the corner. I thought Polley could be that guy.
I haven’t lost faith in him but he has lost some confidence since Wilson came on board. Fear of losing minutes can sometime snowball.

Reaction Score
I hear you. I just don't think Sid is ready to start quite yet. It feels like he'd pick up 2 quick ones if he were to start.
By this time next season (maybe even by conference tourney time), Sid will either be starting or ahead of Polley, but Polley will be a contributor if he stays the next couple years. He needs more development, both physically and mentally. But if you watch Polley you can see that there is a very good basketball player in the making. He looks smooth out there, has a pure looking jump shot, and some real nice footwork at times. He has great length. He just plays so, so timid.
I think Polley will turn into a really nice player, but it's going to take some time with the coaching staff and Alosi. He needs to do whatever camp or anything that DeAndre Daniels did between his freshman season and the 2014 NCAA tournament.

Edit: Ok dam, I did not realize just how highly touted DeAndre Daniels was coming out of high school.

“A very good basketball player in the making” probably is the way I would’ve said it also about 12-13 games ago now I admit I’m not sure on him at all. He’s a talented kid but a lot is missing to make me believe he’s got the it to be really good, heck even good. It’s impossible to be 6’8-9 and not rebound the ball if you’re a player at all. Don’t care about the body the thin body you can rebound and should rebound at all times. His shooting woes are probably just that but who knows now they are woeful at best. He can’t wait to get rid of the ball on O back to guards doesn’t use the dribble enough. We’re 19 games in and if anything he’s going the wrong way in his improvement. His defense isn’t as bad as most believe but let’s be honest it’s not good.

I like Tyler but he really needs to, more than anyone, man up and show who he can be. I think there’s something there but now I question that.

Reaction Score
Sid is a good shot blocker but otherwise is a pretty horrific defender.
This is exactly right. I am absolutely not saying Tyler is a good defender...the comparison between the two might be over who is the best downhill skier in Florida. But, Sid is clearly lost in the defensive structure (offensive too but that's another story), and anyone with any size immediately posts him up. He does have EXCITING blocks, but its 13 in 12 games. He is definitely an elite athlete; I just wonder if people automatically think that means he will develop into an elite basketball player. That's not always the case.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Also, for what it’s worth, Wilson is overall shooting 28%, and 16% on 3’s. I don’t think either are great solutions right now. So Hurley’s usage has, I believe, been correct for Wilson and Polley.. Unless and until one of them makes a jump up on the court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom