Wilson should start | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wilson should start

Reaction Score
Also, for what it’s worth, Wilson is overall shooting 28%, and 16% on 3’s. I don’t think either are great solutions right now. So Hurley’s usage has, I believe, been correct for Wilson and Polley.. Unless and until one of them makes a jump up on the court.

Maybe Whaley should get PT?

He’s a better rebounder than either, better than average blocker, and gets some points off the offensive board.

His strengths are more those of a true PF than either Wilson or Polley.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Maybe Whaley should get PT?

He’s a better rebounder than either, better than average blocker, and gets some points off the offensive board.

His strengths are more those of a true PF than either Wilson or Polley.

He looked lost out there yesterday, almost as if he had regressed from last year. Hard pass.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
If Sid started, we may be outscored by the number of goaltendings he got. Love the kid’s potential but damn if he doesn’t have several boneheaded goaltendings per game.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Sid is a good shot blocker but otherwise is a pretty horrific defender.
Tell me what Polley does better than Sid on both ends. If polley is missing his wide open threes what is he doing? I’d rather have 4 points, 5 boards, and 4 blocked shots with 4 fouls from Sid than 6, 0, 0 with 2 fouls from Polley. Not saying o don’t think Polley can be a good player, but as of now with our three guards shooting the three we could use Sids energy

Last edited:

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Tell me what Polley does better than Sid on both ends.
It may be just me, but he plays better team defense position-wise, and he forces the D to honor his perimeter shot, which helps to open the floor, even when he’s missing. Wilson is a more dynamic athlete, who rebounds better, but is often out of position on D, and you can give him the 3, he’s not likely to make it.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Tell me what Polley does better than Sid on both ends. If polley is missing his wide open threes what is he doing? I’d rather have 4 points, 5 boards, and 4 blocked shots with 4 fouls from Sid than 6, 0, 0 with 2 fouls from Polley. Not saying o don’t think Polley can be a good player, but as of now with our three guards shooting the three we could use Sids energy

I wasn't advocating for Polley. I was just pointing out that Sid is also a pretty terrible defender. I enjoy watching Sid a lot more and would rather see him in the game but that's based on the fact that he's an actual division 1 athlete which is more fun to watch and not on any statistical analysis.

Reaction Score
Wilson shouldn't start right now. On most UConn teams that is. But as others have said if Polley isn't hitting his shot he brings little else. At least Wilson brings some athleticism and a higher upside.

Reaction Score
Both Polley and Wilson have been disappointing, and based on their play, neither deserves to start.

But if we're going to be the kind of team and program we want to be going forward, we should invest in developing Wilson. His ceiling is much, much higher.

Reaction Score
Polley is in year 2, Sid is a rookie. Play Sid more even if he does not start like Calhoun did with Hilton A from long ago. Start Polley and after 5 minutes take a seat.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
There's some guy on here that keeps insisting he's a good defender (huskymagic iirc)--mind boggling take.

Depends what he is talking about.

Polley is a decent team defender within the scheme. I’ve watched enough live off the ball to see that. Hes a terrible man on man defender . Real bad at defending bounce right now, he gets turned ALL the time.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Polley is scared, Sid isn’t. The decision is easy for me
As bad as polley has been in his recent funk offensively , Sid is that much worse. I’m a Sid guy too. He’s got tools. But he’s having a rough go of it so far.

Reaction Score
As bad as polley has been in his recent funk offensively , Sid is that much worse. I’m a Sid guy too. He’s got tools. But he’s having a rough go of it so far.
I feel like Sid brings more confidence and energy even when he isn’t playing well

Reaction Score

Sid has tremendous athleticism. Unfortunately, he is far more of an athlete than he is a basketball player. His basketball IQ is pretty low and his offense is raw at best. He is the guy who will do something extraordinary on occasion and make you think he could be special some day.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Ik he isn’t playing today, but I’ve seen enough with Polley. Shooting 26% in conference play, 14% from 3. Even worse, 2 rebs per.
Wilson will only get better on offense as the year goes on, and he is far better on the boards/defensively.
Where do you get your stats? I want a good source to follow them myself. To make this a relevant post, my take is Polley is just awful.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with Sid playing 40 minutes a game this year if it helps him next year. Expectations have to be downgraded because he can’t shoot though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom