Williams/setting real screens | The Boneyard

Williams/setting real screens

Reaction Score
play Williams more! He’s the only guy on the team that sets real screens, can body guys, plays with spirit, and who cares if he’s limited....at least he’s out there playing w pride

Worst screen setting team I’ve ever seen....lots of college teams are terrible at it but not the great ones.....

Reaction Score
Bad screens are as much on the player running to the screen as it is on the screener. Players need to run right to the screeners hip so they screener doesn't get tempted to shift at last second.

A lost art

Reaction Score
We had the worst moving screen I ever saw the other night and it didn't even get called. I think it was Whaley out in the area between the top of the key and the foul line and he basically shuffled to the hole with the ball handler. I was amazed that it didn't get called.

There was also a play by a Tulsa player that brought back memories of Phil Nolan doing his perfect 720, but it was much sloppier.

Reaction Score
play Williams more! He’s the only guy on the team that sets real screens, can body guys, plays with spirit, and who cares if he’s limited....at least he’s out there playing w pride

Worst screen setting team I’ve ever seen....lots of college teams are terrible at it but not the great ones.....
I’m in the play Williams more camp too (at Cobb and DO’s expense), but Whaley set a screen that let Adams get that huge and one at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
It's up to the ball handler to maneuver his man into the screen. We were taught in the old days that you should always brush the screener with your leg, hip or arm as you went by him.

Reaction Score
I’m in the play Williams more camp too (at Cobb and DO’s expense), but Whaley set a screen that let Adams get that huge and one at the end of the game.

Good call on that one I remember that. He does set screen as well as he can and holds them, for now he's just a bit thin but he gets it which is good.

Williams showed us how bad he wants to play, aggressive rebounds and toughness I'm with you guys need a little more time every game, baby steps.

Reaction Score
Good call on that one I remember that. He does set screen as well as he can and holds them, for now he's just a bit thin but he gets it which is good.

Williams showed us how bad he wants to play, aggressive rebounds and toughness I'm with you guys need a little more time every game, baby steps.
Williams needs to stop over extending on defense because it takes him out of position to guard 4s and grab defensive rebounds, but he hustles and is probably our best offensive rebounder. I think with good coaching he could become a solid contributor.

Reaction Score
Williams does a lot of good things. We basically doubled our season dunk count in the Tulsa game (little victories), and he had at least a couple of those. But he still does a LOT of bad things. Just go back and watch him on the floor, he still looks lost at both ends. It gets worse the more minutes he's out there.

I do think if he had some more time on the floor he'd settle down, but he needs more prep work, too.

Reaction Score
Pretenders....

I see our guys pretending to defend and pretending to set screens over and over again.

Do your job!

Reaction Score
Williams needs to stop over extending on defense because it takes him out of position to guard 4s and grab defensive rebounds, but he hustles and is probably our best offensive rebounder. I think with good coaching he could become a solid contributor.

He's raw as heck. Like it or not he's getting some decent coaching because he's looked a little better every time he steps on the floor. I know this is hard for many to accept LOL

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Bad screens are as much on the player running to the screen as it is on the screener. Players need to run right to the screeners hip so they screener doesn't get tempted to shift at last second.

And our guards often get a screen and then dribble back the other direction, or swing wide around it by 3-4 feet, totally wasting it. Our guys setting screens tend to peel off way too soon when the guard is trying to use it properly, and the defense doesn't need to switch. Williams, to his credit, don't start his "roll" prematurely like most of them. Diarra leaves way too soon.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Williams does a lot of good things. We basically doubled our season dunk count in the Tulsa game (little victories), and he had at least a couple of those. But he still does a LOT of bad things. Just go back and watch him on the floor, he still looks lost at both ends. It gets worse the more minutes he's out there.

I do think if he had some more time on the floor he'd settle down, but he needs more prep work, too.

I don't care if he randomly runs all over court. He brings energy and constant movement. It really freaks out other teams since the other four players are in slow motion.

Reaction Score
Good grief. It doesn't matter if we play Williams or not. He won't make a difference if we win or lose. None of our inside guys matter that much. They are all fair to poor players.

The one guy who could make a difference is Anderson. We haven't won since he went in the tank. We need him to help Adams, Larrier and Vital. He is capable of scoring in double digits and guarding effectively. He hasn't done either in a few games. If he had played well against WSU or Tulsa we could have won those games. He needs pick it up now.

Reaction Score
Good grief. It doesn't matter if we play Williams or not. He won't make a difference if we win or lose. None of our inside guys matter that much. They are all fair to poor players.

The one guy who could make a difference is Anderson. We haven't won since he went in the tank. We need him to help Adams, Larrier and Vital. He is capable of scoring in double digits and guarding effectively. He hasn't done either in a few games. If he had played well against WSU or Tulsa we could have won those games. He needs pick it up now.

Geez what were we thinking talking about Kwintin, if Palantine think he makes no impact then why bring it up?

Lol speaking of fair to poor :eek:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I said it during the game thread: the kid has no idea what he's doing, but I love his energy and seeing him out there. He busts his , goes after the ball, doesn't lose focus on D, etc etc. Plus he's got an NBA body and athleticism.

Just needs serious coaching and time.

Reaction Score
I said it during the game thread: the kid has no idea what he's doing, but I love his energy and seeing him out there. He busts his , goes after the ball, doesn't lose focus on D, etc etc. Plus he's got an NBA body and athleticism.

Just needs serious coaching and time.

Yeah agree he has the energy which cold be contagious. He has gone from completely robotic when stepping on the floor, thinking of where he's supposed to be and when to actually playing with a little natural instinct, quickness. A small thing I like too is he throws solid passes to his target. None of these soft little chest passes he puts zip on them and they get to the guys he's throwing them to, not always like that in UConn land. He really wants to be good and I like that, you can see it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I mentioned in another thread Adams and Vital are terrible at using screens

Adams game could become so much easier if he learns how to use a pick and roll the right way. He never lets things develop. But if would help if there was someone actually rolling or popping rather than just awkwardly running towards the basket with their heads down.

Reaction Score

What's wrong with just playing Diarra, Carlton, and Whaley and getting a rhythm with those guys? Why such a need to use every man on the roster?

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score

Weve all had to do it once or twice. Send in the slump buster.

Reaction Score
He was given a scholarship he never expected and has clearly worked his butt off, I like him. Always plays hard and is pretty much the only guy on the team who has both athleticism and strength.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What's wrong with just playing Diarra, Carlton, and Whaley and getting a rhythm with those guys? Why such a need to use every man on the roster?

Those guys foul enough where you've got to have other guys on tap.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom