Williams and Nelson-Ododa raring to go | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Williams and Nelson-Ododa raring to go

Reaction Score
For Freshmen, Geno awards playing time based on their performance & attitude in practice. My sense is Geno did not like what he saw from AEH, & AEH probably didnt agree with the process. Not surprised that AEH left if her goal was to play basketball as a career. I'm surprised more players havent left UConn over the years. Its a tricky balancing act for Geno in terms of recruiting.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We are going to get absolutely manhandled on the boards next year!
Only against a few teams, like Baylor, in my opinion. Pheesa is a good rebounder. Lou has improved and is decent. Megan is a strong rebounder. Olivia can rebound. Christyn is one of the best rebounding guards I've seen. Look at her work in the Jordan Brand game. Batouly looks like a fierce rebounder.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not surprised that AEH left if her goal was to play basketball as a career.
If AEH’s goal was to “play basketball as a career,” there is absolutely no better place on the planet to develop the skill set required to do that than at UConn. IMO, her departure had more to do with an unrealistic expectation of PT as a freshman that developed into an attitude problem for Geno and the Huskies.

Hopefully, for AEH’s sake, she will bring a positive attitude when she suits up for MSU, because Vic Schaefer is every bit as demanding as Geno.

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
If AEH’s goal was to “play basketball as a career,” there is absolutely no better place on the planet to develop the skill set required to do that than at UConn. IMO, her departure had more to do with an unrealistic expectation of PT as a freshman that developed into an attitude problem for Geno and the Huskies.

Hopefully, for AEH’s sake, she will bring a positive attitude when she suits up for MSU, because Vic Schaefer is every bit as demanding as Geno.
But in the dinner recording, which I didn't see, he is supposed to have said it wasn't about PT.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But in the dinner recording, which I didn't see, he is supposed to have said it wasn't about PT.
Of course we will never know for sure, but after the MSU game, her best, AEH sat in the 2 close games to Nevada & ND. The next game she played was vs DePaul, and she did not play well. After that AEH played very little in games vs OK & Duquesne, and showed little to distinguish herself.

I suppose there could have been any one of a number of problems, but when a player is not doing what they are supposed to be doing, and the coach is not happy with the player, the root cause is often PT.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
they may or may not be the case...if Camara returns to her best that should be helpful and if ONO gets playing time I think you will be pleasantly surprised....additionally MW and CW should each be pulling down a minimum of five rebounds each if playing regularly.....

While we're talking about willing and able rebounders, let's not forget about Napheesa Collier. She has already proven to be a willing and able rebounder. She's not afraid of contact, and has pulled down her share of rebounds in the last 3 years. :cool:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Geno plays freshmen who earn playing time in practice. That is it. Forget tendencies, opinions, tall-tales, etc. Since the 2000-01 season 56% of all freshmen played on average more than 15 minutes per game. That is 29 out of 52 freshmen. Sixteen freshmen averaged less than 10 minutes a game. Excepting Maria Colon, these players contributed as practice players and bench cheer squad. This does not bode well for Bent, Irwin, Gordon, and Coombs. All who averaged less the 10 minutes per game did so because they were not good players at least not at UCONN. Twenty-nine freshmen averaged more then 15 minutes per game which is the cut off for further success in the UONN program. See stats below.
upload_2018-6-4_16-48-53.png

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno plays freshmen who earn playing time in practice. That is it. Forget tendencies, opinions, tall-tales, etc. Since the 2000-01 season 56% of all freshmen played on average more than 15 minutes pregame. That is 29 out of 52 freshmen. Sixteen freshmen averaged less than 1o minutes a game. Excepting Maria Colon, these players contributed as practice players and bench cheer squad. This does not bode well for Bent, Irwin, Gordon, and Coombs. All who averaged less the 10 minutes per game did so because they were not good players at least not at UCONN. Twenty-nine freshmen averaged more then 15 minutes per game which is the cut off for further success in the UONN program. See stats below.
View attachment 31802
Thanks for the info. I'd put the cutoff closer to 12-13 mpg, because these players were contributors, some to a substantial degree late in their careers:

Ketia Swanier 13.9
Kalana Greene 13.6
Kaili McLaren 12.5
Lorin Dixon 14.4
Kiah Stokes 13.4

Ketia, Kalana, and Kiah all were drafted and played multiple years in the W.

I agree, though, that Kyla, Molly, Lexi, and Mikayla are unlikely to be impact players. Mikayla may be the exception, because of her athleticism.

Reaction Score
Geno plays freshmen who earn playing time in practice. That is it. Forget tendencies, opinions, tall-tales, etc. Since the 2000-01 season 56% of all freshmen played on average more than 15 minutes pregame. That is 29 out of 52 freshmen. Sixteen freshmen averaged less than 1o minutes a game. Excepting Maria Colon, these players contributed as practice players and bench cheer squad. This does not bode well for Bent, Irwin, Gordon, and Coombs. All who averaged less the 10 minutes per game did so because they were not good players at least not at UCONN. Twenty-nine freshmen averaged more then 15 minutes per game which is the cut off for further success in the UONN program. See stats below.
View attachment 31802

if the two freshmen aren't getting at least 15 minutes playing time each, I'm not sure who's getting their minutes off the bench..........if Coombs is healthy and at UConn I believe she also still has much to offer

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just a comment on Mikayla’s freshman season performance. Some symptoms of DVT include leg pain, leg fatigue and dizziness. If Mikayla was experiencing any or all of those symptoms, it’s not surprising that she did not become a major contributor last season. I for one am very anxious to see how Mikayla performs now that she has a clean bill of health.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just a comment on Mikayla’s freshman season performance. Some symptoms of DVT include leg pain, leg fatigue and dizziness. If Mikayla was experiencing any or all of those symptoms, it’s not surprising that she did not become a major contributor last season. I for one am very anxious to see how Mikayla performs now that she has a clean bill of health.
Good points!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

If Meg can approach Pheesa's level of play--this season or anytime at all--that will be awesome!

I remember a very undersized forward at Baylor who was a 2x All-American and succeeded by hustling and being extremely scrappy. Meg has more natural ability, more size, and a better shot than Nina Davis.

Reaction Score
Only against a few teams, like Baylor, in my opinion. Pheesa is a good rebounder. Lou has improved and is decent. Megan is a strong rebounder. Olivia can rebound. Christyn is one of the best rebounding guards I've seen. Look at her work in the Jordan Brand game. Batouly looks like a fierce rebounder.

Notre Dame, Baylor, Texas, Miss St., Oregon, will all dominate UConn on the boards next year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Notre Dame, Baylor, Texas, Miss St., Oregon, will all dominate UConn on the boards next year.

All of these teams have something this year that UConn does not............................tall experienced post players. It is possible for UConn to overcome this deficiency IF Geno makes rebounding and putting a body on the opponent's BIG (every time the ball is shot) a priority. I have faith that Geno and staff will figure something out, they have to.

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
All of these teams have something this year that UConn does not.Tall experienced post players. It is possible for UConn to overcome this deficiency IF Geno makes rebounding and putting a body on the opponent's BIG (every time the ball is shot) a priority. I have faith that Geno and staff will figure something out.
Or if we shoot 60%, we’ll be in good shape.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Only some of those are on our schedule.

Don’t sell the newbies short.

Milford, I'm a blank canvas going into the season. I'll let the newbies and the returning reserves paint the picture. The one thing on my mind is that somebody has got to step up this year!!! We just (at this point) don't know who it will be yet.
One or more of the reserves, or possibly the two freshmen? :rolleyes: Someone has got to replace the production loss by the departure of Gabby, Azura and Kia. I've said it several times already, I'll say it again......the BIG 3 CANNOT carry this team by themselves. The need some help.

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford, I'm a blank canvas going into the season. I'll let the newbies and the returning reserves paint the picture. The one thing on my mind is that somebody has got to step up this year!!! We just (at this point) don't know who it will be yet.
One or more of the reserves, or possibly the two freshmen? :rolleyes: Someone has got to replace the production loss by the departure of Gabby, Azura and Kia. When I think about that, I sound like an owl sitting in a tree a night...WHO??? :eek:
I'd say it's clear that we NEED someone to step up. We have 3 really good players returning. Beyond that, there are no guarantees. I'm hoping that everyone is better. Geno has said that Meg looks good. I think she becomes our 4th starter. Beyond that, we have heard little. I'm betting that our new rock duo, Liv and the Legend, will move up the charts quickly. ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno plays freshmen who earn playing time in practice. That is it. Forget tendencies, opinions, tall-tales, etc. Since the 2000-01 season 56% of all freshmen played on average more than 15 minutes per game. That is 29 out of 52 freshmen. Sixteen freshmen averaged less than 10 minutes a game. Excepting Maria Colon, these players contributed as practice players and bench cheer squad. This does not bode well for Bent, Irwin, Gordon, and Coombs. All who averaged less the 10 minutes per game did so because they were not good players at least not at UCONN. Twenty-nine freshmen averaged more then 15 minutes per game which is the cut off for further success in the UONN program. See stats below.
View attachment 31802

Pheew. Megan is at 15.5. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom