Williams and Nelson-Ododa raring to go | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Williams and Nelson-Ododa raring to go

Reaction Score
Rebuilding time has finally come to Geno - the chickens they are a coming home to roost after years of dominance. Hopefully, this isn't the start of another "Dark Age" of UConn basketball (post DT & pre-Mayan era - those teams were unwatchable). CW will have to have a monster year offensively & ONO will need to be a defensive stopper if this team has any chance of winning a Title. I'm afraid we're in for a multi-year ND title run. I dont see many teams come close to beating them next year.
Everyone said that no one would touch UConn last year too and that they were gonna lose 10 games the year before after losing top 3 draft choices. All it takes is one misstep ever so slightly in the tourney. Also remember we lost the last two years on last second shots in OT.

It's not like we still aren't a power house with 2 or 3 of the best players in the country (if you count Crystal Dangerfield as top PG.) I also don't see why CW will have to have a monster offensive year when you have two of the best offensive players in the country who will most likely average 20ppg on the team already.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
I may be going out on a limb but, IMHO, CW and ONO will be one of the top recruiting classes of all time.

CW has already demonstrated her immense skill set against the best players in the country in her class and ONO has only begun to scratch the surface of her bucket of talent. There is no comparison between these two and last years class. CW alone is better than all of them combined.

CW will start sooner than later and ONO will see significant minutes early on.

Starting lineup early on - Crystal, KLS, CW, MW and Pheesa

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I may be going out on a limb but, IMHO, CW and ONO will be one of the top recruiting classes of all time.

CW has already demonstrated her immense skill set against the best players in the country in her class and ONO has only begun to scratch the surface of her bucket of talent. There is no comparison between these two and last years class. CW alone is better than all of them combined.

I agree that this could be a great recruiting class. I wouldn't call CW better than all of last year's frosh, because I think MW is going to be really good, but some folks though that CW was the best player in the nation as a junior. She swept all the NPOY awards and looked good in both AA games. ONO was ranked #1 before her injury. She's a legit 6'5" with a ton of versatility. People say she needs to get stronger, but so did Lou, Pheesa, Stewie, et al. Olivia has strong legs already. If she goes to the weight room with Guns Dangerfield, she'll be fine.

I like your starting lineup, but it's small. I think Liv starts and CW becomes the change-of-pace first sub.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
<<I like your starting lineup, but it's small. I think Liv starts>>

I thought about that and balancing the need for height vs possibly damaging ONO's self confidence in a "trial by fire" situation is something the coaches will need to address.

As DDW posted above, Camara may be the answer but her performance last year was spotty, at best.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
<<I like your starting lineup, but it's small. I think Liv starts>>

I thought about that and balancing the need for height vs possibly damaging ONO's self confidence in a "trial by fire" situation is something the coaches will need to address.

As DDW posted above, Camara may be the answer but her performance last year was spotty, at best.
The season is 5+ months away. That’s enough time for a lot of learning and improvement. Liv wants to help her team. I don’t think her confidence will be shaken, at least not badly. She knows she’s young and inexperienced.

Camara was erratic last year. Though she has more college experience than Liv, I’m taking the unknown of a very talented freshman over the known limitations of Batouly. I hope BatCam makes big strides, but I’m not expecting her to start.

Reaction Score
It's pretty clear that the two freshman will play significant minutes probably from the beginning of the season. Except for MW, I think the remaining non starters from last year are at best role or support players, which is actually ok.
Assuming good health (hopefully), KLS and Pheesa I believe will each average 18-24 points a game. CD should add being one of, if not the best point guards in the country and 10-14 points a game.
I expect MW to make a solid but not huge jump this year after having figured out what got in her way last year. Either she or CW will start and the other be the 6th player, with Ono needed to start providing size and inside play offensively and defensively. I expect CW to have a much stronger freshman season than MW had, as I see her skill set and self confidence, perfectly complimenting CD in the backcourt.
I also see two or three of the others continuing to improve and playing meaningful support roles. My guess is in this order they will contribute. Kyla is a solid, smart player who gets it, and is not afraid to get in there and just play. Boutaly hopefully will be healthy and help inside and be a bit of the enforcer most teams need. Coombs, also again with health concerns, but her quickness and defensive abilities might truly help at times. The surprise player might be Lexie, who could become a solid backup point guard. Molly brings enormous effort and appears to be a great teammate.
What I'm saying is after the first six they only need the remaining five to take turns adding a bit or more, here and there.
I believe by mid to the later part of the season, they will be a solid FF contender. A national championship while possible, will take many things falling into place, and someone becoming that go to player in serious crunch time in regional finals, semi finals and hopefully championship game. KLS assuming she will be and can remain healthy, might well become that player and then be NPOY. Pheesa right behind her. And CW becoming freshman of the year!
Bronx23

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Camara will start.

I'm leaning in that direction. At her best she can be a beast and she has some quick inside moves that are impressive. Hopefully the leg issues, which became head issues, are behind her. Olivia, Liv, ONO ... wanting her to be good enough to come out and start is natural and I feel the tug of it, but I don't know if it is the best way to bring her along.

Reaction Score
I'm leaning in that direction. At her best she can be a beast and she has some quick inside moves that are impressive. Hopefully the leg issues, which became head issues, are behind her. Olivia, Liv, ONO ... wanting her to be good enough to come out and start is natural and I feel the tug of it, but I don't know if it is the best way to bring her along.

if Batouly plays like she did at Kentucky she has much to contribute.............if she's the player she was last year she's just a helpful backup..........I've got my fingers crossed that she's feeling more like a Wildcat......

Reaction Score
I agree that this could be a great recruiting class. I wouldn't call CW better than all of last year's frosh, because I think MW is going to be really good, but some folks though that CW was the best player in the nation as a junior. She swept all the NPOY awards and looked good in both AA games. ONO was ranked #1 before her injury. She's a legit 6'5" with a ton of versatility. People say she needs to get stronger, but so did Lou, Pheesa, Stewie, et al. Olivia has strong legs already. If she goes to the weight room with Guns Dangerfield, she'll be fine.

I like your starting lineup, but it's small. I think Liv starts and CW becomes the change-of-pace first sub.

The best freshman last year was AEH.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Today, June 2, 2018, I cannot argue your prediction. It makes perfect sense to me (at this time). We all remember the reserves as we last saw them in March. Hopefully all or most of them will have made that "leap" between the last game and the beginning of official team practice in mid October. From the video clips I’ve seen, and what I’ve read, Christyn appears to be one of those special talents that only comes along every 10-15 years (like Maya and Diana).

Nothing she does in the next four years will surprise me. She has a rare internal drive and desire to be great. Not just good.....but great. She's willing to put in the work and sacrifice to make that happen. I think the worse thing we can do as UConn fans is to assume that CW is your "average" incoming freshman point guard. She's anything but average. I don't think it will take her very long (during team workouts and drills) for her to make that known. I think between the two, CW will take the leap before ONO does. ONO however should not be too far behind.

So, for her to step into the starting lineup on day one would not surprise me. I'm not saying it will happen, only that it would not surprise me. This will only happen if last years reserves allow it to. Geno is going to put his BEST five players on his roster on the court in that first exhibition game in early November.

If she's one of the 5, so be it. No one can accurately predict anything this far out. I will root and cheer for whoever Geno has on the court at any given time. I have no preferences. I just want the team to win and be successful...........period!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
It's pretty clear that the two freshman will play significant minutes probably from the beginning of the season. Except for MW, I think the remaining non starters from last year are at best role or support players, which is actually ok.

Assuming good health (hopefully), KLS and Pheesa I believe will each average 18-24 points a game. CD should add being one of, if not the best point guards in the country and 10-14 points a game. I expect MW to make a solid but not huge jump this year after having figured out what got in her way last year. Either she or CW will start and the other be the 6th player, with Ono needed to start providing size and inside play offensively and defensively.

I expect CW to have a much stronger freshman season than MW had, as I see her skill set and self confidence, perfectly complimenting CD in the back court. I also see two or three of the others continuing to improve and playing meaningful support roles. My guess is in this order they will contribute. Kyla is a solid, smart player who gets it, and is not afraid to get in there and just play. Boutaly hopefully will be healthy and help inside and be a bit of the enforcer most teams need. Coombs, also again with health concerns, but her quickness and defensive abilities might truly help at times.

The surprise player might be Lexie, who could become a solid backup point guard. Molly brings enormous effort and appears to be a great teammate. That I'm saying is after the first six they only need the remaining five to take turns adding a bit or more, here and there. I believe by mid to the later part of the season, they will be a solid FF contender.

A national championship while possible, will take many things falling into place, and someone becoming that go to player in serious crunch time in regional finals, semi finals and hopefully championship game. KLS assuming she will be and can remain healthy, might well become that player and then be NPOY. Pheesa right behind her. And CW becoming freshman of the year!
Bronx23

I guess we can begin to refer to Crystal, Pheesa and Lou as "The BIG 3". We know what we'll get from them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
certainly the best at transferring.....not at basketball

AEH was able to get on the court and looked pretty sharp. Showed confidence and a nice shot. Too bad it did not work out with Geno. She was certainly on a trajectory to be the best freshman last year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
AEH was able to get on the court and looked pretty sharp. Showed confidence and a nice shot. Too bad it did not work out with Geno. She was certainly on a trajectory to be the best freshman last year.
AEH had one good game where she drained 3- 3 pt shots. After that, her performance and trajectory steadily declined until her PT dissapeared and soon thereafter she was gone from the team. Through a series of ups and downs, MW, Mikayla & Lexi hung the whole season. Completing what you started counts a lot in my book.

Reaction Score
AEH had one good game where she drained 3- 3 pt shots. After that, her performance and trajectory steadily declined until her PT dissapeared and soon thereafter she was gone from the team. Through a series of ups and downs, MW, Mikayla & Lexi hung the whole season. Completing what you started counts a lot in my book.

AEH was worlds ahead of the curve than Coombs and Lexi. I mean that’s not even debatable.
Yeah obvi it didn’t work out for AEH. She’s a young girl and it didn’t work out, no crime there. Sounds like Geno got rid of her rather than her quitting. Semantics I guess

Reaction Score
AEH was worlds ahead of the curve than Coombs and Lexi. I mean that’s not even debatable.
Yeah obvi it didn’t work out for AEH. She’s a young girl and it didn’t work out, no crime there. Sounds like Geno got rid of her rather than her quitting. Semantics I guess

MW was the only freshman that had any real impact on the season.......AEH may very well have become a contributor but for whatever reason it didn't work out

Carnac

Reaction Score
I will add Megan, Crystal, Pheesa and Lou as the core four ... this coming year.

Kaizen my friend, I would love to add Megan to this group. Unfortunately, I have a small problem. I'm from "Missouri".
She's got to "Show Me" something first!!! I'm hoping she does. I've already gone out on a limb a month or two ago, and predicted that she will be promoted to a starter this coming season...........................but, before she can gain admittance into that prestigious club, she's got to play well at this level, and do it consistently!!! We're ALL pulling for Megan to have a break out season in the same fashion that Dangerfield did last season. :cool:

Reaction Score
MW was the only freshman that had any real impact on the season..AEH may very well have become a contributor but for whatever reason it didn't work out

Yeah that’s fair for sure. It’s too bad I really liked what I saw. Sometimes it’s not all about stats but I just liked what I saw. I felt she was ahead of the curve. I wish her the best.

Reaction Score

We are going to get absolutely manhandled on the boards next year!

Reaction Score
We are going to get absolutely manhandled on the boards next year!

they may or may not be the case........if Camara returns to her best that should be helpful and if ONO gets playing time I think you will be pleasantly surprised.........additionally MW and CW should each be pulling down a minimum of five rebounds each if playing regularly.....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I tend to agree with you on AEH relative to Mikayla & Lexi, but I did go back and look at AEH’s stats, all in OOC games, just to gauge her progress or lack there of.

Stanford: 0-2, 0 pts
Cal : 0 pts, 1 A
MD: 2/3 from 3, 6 pts, 1 TO
UCLA: DNP
MSU: 3/5 (2-3), 8 pts
NV: DNP
ND: DNP
DePaul: 0/1, 0 pts, 2 TO’s
OK: 0 pts, 1 PF, 1 TO
Duquesne: 0/2, 0 pts, 1 PF, 1 St

Clearly she showed some shooting touch in MD & MSU, but after that, AEH did not play in two close games. When she did get to play in her last 3 games, she did not score, assist or rb. The only positive stat was her 1 steal in her last game as a Husky on 12/22.

My only comment on AEH is that she was a freshman who wasn’t ready, just like many other UConn freshmen. I wish she hung around and decided to put in the effort to see what she could have become as a Husky. Unfortunately we will never know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom