Williams and Nelson-Ododa raring to go | The Boneyard

Williams and Nelson-Ododa raring to go

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The freshmen will spend five weeks in school and with their teammates. If Williams and/or Nelson-Ododa are named to the U-18 team, they’ll return here for a training camp on July 20 ahead of the tournament being held Aug. 1-7 at a location to be determined.

Williams will keep her high school uniform No. 13 at UConn as will Nelson-Ododa, who will wear No. 20.

“I’m excited, I know we’re both excited,” Williams said. “We’re enjoying our time here and we’re doing all we can to make this team, but we’re also ready to go.”

5b0bef779ad37.image.jpg

Incoming UConn women freshmen in Team USA tryout before heading to Storrs

Reaction Score
All top rated incoming freshman are raring to go. We all know camp Geno has a way of humbling even the best talents. I have high hopes for CW that she will be solid by years end, while I think Ono will be further behind and need a year in the system with plenty of weight training until we see the true Ono.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Given the current roster, not hard to predict BOTH will contribute significantly this season. Particularly, Christyn at Kia’s old spot.... :)

I've said this on several occasions in the last month, that because of the lack of meaningful "on-court" experience among the returning non starters, and because of the exceptional skill set and USA experience both will bring with them this fall, it could be almost impossible for Geno to keep them on the bench this year.

This topic will be at the fore front of the items discussed and debated on this board during the summer. We all know Geno's tendency to not play freshmen meaningful minutes in meaningful games. If I'm missing something here, someone please enlighten me. Right now, we don't know which one or two of the reserves can definitely be counted on to step up and replace the production of Kia and Gabby (which averaged close to 45% of the total scores last season).

One would think it would be a member of last year's team as opposed to one (or both) of the freshmen. UConn lost two rim protectors and a shooter in Kia that could shoot 3 pt shots on a relatively consistent basis.
Williams has already demonstrated that she can create her own shot, drive the lane, as well as score consistently from beyond the arc. Do we know if there is a reserve from last season that can do that?

IMO, the more they play early in the season, the more they'll play the rest of the season. Geno may not be afforded the luxury of allowing this freshman class to sit and observe this coming season, especially if Lou and Crystal are not fully recovered (or Heaven forbid have a relapse) from their injuries when the season begins. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This will be an interesting season, that may well be defined by the contribution of these two very talented freshmen. If they perform at the level of last year’s freshmen, then I tend to believe that UConn will fall short of a national championship. However, if CW & ONO both step up to become key contributors by mid-season and beyond, then this could be an exceptional season.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
The freshmen will spend five weeks in school and with their teammates. If Williams and/or Nelson-Ododa are named to the U-18 team, they’ll return here for a training camp on July 20 ahead of the tournament being held Aug. 1-7 at a location to be determined.

Williams will keep her high school uniform No. 13 at UConn as will Nelson-Ododa, who will wear No. 20.

“I’m excited, I know we’re both excited,” Williams said. “We’re enjoying our time here and we’re doing all we can to make this team, but we’re also ready to go.”

5b0bef779ad37.image.jpg

Incoming UConn women freshmen in Team USA tryout before heading to Storrs

While they're very talented coming in, this coming season should be be their least productive year of the 4 years they'll be here. With their work ethic and desire to improve, you know they'll get better each year as they approach graduation. Despite their obvious size differential, these two will be forever joined at the hip!!!

I'm hoping that these two young ladies will emulate Kia Nurse, in that they both become (as her father said) "a nasty piece of business" in the eyes of their opponents. I know it's early, and they have to adjust to Geno's system, and play at this level; but I'd bet a sizable wager that BOTH of these ladies become All-Americans at some point while at UConn. We've seen some great ones come through the program. These two have that look. They have a high BB IQ, they're coach-able, they want to become the very best they can be, and they're both no-nonsense in their approach to their education and their athletic development.

Reaction Score
This will be an interesting season, that may well be defined by the contribution of these two very talented freshmen. If they perform at the level of last year’s freshmen, then I tend to believe that UConn will fall short of a national championship. However, if CW & ONO both step up to become key contributors by mid-season and beyond, then this could be an exceptional season.

there's no reason why CW shouldn't average 13/5/5 or better if she gets meaningful minutes.........of course I said the same thing about MW last year and we saw how that ended up.............

Reaction Score
I have read many times on this board and on various other avenues on the internet from staff interviews that UConn looks for a "certain" type of player with skills, attitude and behavior that would make them a worthwhile team member. I would suspect that any of the players who were freshman and sophomores would be greatly accepted and playing on other Division I teams. If these young people "buy" into the training system and work their skill sets, they all could be valuable contributors. It seems that we may see more of that this coming season and I would hope that bench warmers will use this as an opportunity to become aggressive and pursue excellence.

Reaction Score
All top rated incoming freshman are raring to go. We all know camp Geno has a way of humbling even the best talents. I have high hopes for CW that she will be solid by years end, while I think Ono will be further behind and need a year in the system with plenty of weight training until we see the true Ono.

ONO will clearly need to hit the gym but don't sell her short.........she's more athletic and has equal or better natural ability then Azura or any UConn big since Stewie so she should be a useful asset from day one..........

Reaction Score
I have read many times on this board and on various other avenues on the internet from staff interviews that UConn looks for a "certain" type of player with skills, attitude and behavior that would make them a worthwhile team member. I would suspect that any of the players who were freshman and sophomores would be greatly accepted and playing on other Division I teams. If these young people "buy" into the training system and work their skill sets, they all could be valuable contributors. It seems that we may see more of that this coming season and I would hope that bench warmers will use this as an opportunity to become aggressive and pursue excellence.

I'm not sure exactly who's going to play if they don't.........

Carnac

Reaction Score
there's no reason why CW shouldn't average 13/5/5 or better if she gets meaningful minutes....of course I said the same thing about MW last year and we saw how that ended up...

Agreed, but Geno doesn't have the quality of players 1-6 that he had last year (that we know of right now today). He's got the 3 returning starters, and I'm assuming Megan will or has made that sophomore leap, and be promoted to a starter.

That still leaves 1 more opening in the starting line-up, as well as the 6th man. I could be wrong, but it would not surprise me if either or both of these ladies jumped the line on the team depth chart this season. I'm NOT saying it will happen, just that it would not surprise me. ;)

Reaction Score
Agreed, but Geno doesn't have the quality of players 1-6 that he had last year (that we know of right now today). He's got the 3 returning starters, and I'm assuming Megan will or has made that sophomore leap, and be promoted to a starter.

That still leaves 1 more opening in the starting line-up, as well as the 6th man. I could be wrong, but it would not surprise me if either or both of these ladies jumped the line on the team depth chart this season. I'm NOT saying it will happen, just that it would not surprise me. ;)

it better happen.........:mad:

Carnac

Reaction Score
ONO will clearly need to hit the gym but don't sell her short....she's more athletic and has equal or better natural ability then Azura or any UConn big since Stewie so she should be a useful asset from day one.....

It's a good bet she'll spend an appreciable amount of time in the weight room this summer and fall. Remember what Judy Garland's character Dorothy (the Wizard of OZ - 1939) told her dog Toto........

170px-The_Wizard_of_Oz_Judy_Garland_Terry_1939.jpg

"I don't think we're in Kansas anymore". ONO has been use to playing against other post players that were not as tall or talented as she. That won't be the case now. She'll be playing against posts that are bigger, stronger, faster older, more experienced (at this level) than she is. The good thing is she will figure it out, and adjust. She will be OK.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom