Will Tina Be the Starting Olympic Center? | The Boneyard

Will Tina Be the Starting Olympic Center?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I have now seen two public references to the possibility that Tina Charles may be the starting center for the 2012 US Olympic team. One of these was from Geno a while ago (a passing reference which I believe was on one of the last "Geno Auriemma Show" editions of 2011-12). The other was in an article by John A in this morning's Courant -- also a passing reference.

Is it really likely that Tina will start at center over Sylvia Fowles? I would not have thought so, and I believe that Big Syl's stats in the WNBA, except obviously in rebounding, are still better than Tina's. When I have seen them play head-to-head at Mohegan Sun, it is a close contest, but Syl usually seemed to me to have the edge.

I know that Geno said in 2010, after coaching the USA team in that year, that Syl does not always play with the level of intensity that he would like to see. Neither did Tina before her senior year at UConn, but she seems (to this distant observer) to have overcome that problem in her professional career.

There will be another aneurysm among the Orange People if she actually does take the position from Ms. Fowles.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think it is close. The 2 players are very even in my book. And very, very good. I would not be surprised either way.

If Geno starts 5 Huskies, there will be a major health crisis on Rocky Top. :)

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Fowles has more experience, but as the only two centers on the roster, they will both get plenty of minutes regardless.

Reaction Score
I have now seen two public references to the possibility that Tina Charles may be the starting center for the 2012 US Olympic team. One of these was from Geno a while ago (a passing reference which I believe was on one of the last "Geno Auriemma Show" editions of 2011-12). The other was in an article by John A in this morning's Courant -- also a passing reference.

Is it really likely that Tina will start at center over Sylvia Fowles? I would not have thought so, and I believe that Big Syl's stats in the WNBA, except obviously in rebounding, are still better than Tina's. When I have seen them play head-to-head at Mohegan Sun, it is a close contest, but Syl usually seemed to me to have the edge.

I know that Geno said in 2010, after coaching the USA team in that year, that Syl does not always play with the level of intensity that he would like to see. Neither did Tina before her senior year at UConn, but she seems (to this distant observer) to have overcome that problem in her professional career.

There will be another aneurysm among the Orange People if she actually does take the position from Ms. Fowles.
Plenty of room for Tina at PF. She can do that.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think it is close. The 2 players are very even in my book. And very, very good. I would not be surprised either way.

If Geno starts 5 Huskies, there will be a major health crisis on Rocky Top. :)
The governor of Tennessee has already ordered all bridges be lowered.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Heck, the Guv will order that the flags be lowered.

Reaction Score
DT and Sue are locks in my opinion to start. Tina would be a good option with Fowles coming in off the bench to provide supporting minutes. Asjha will be off the bench. I would be surprised if Swin starts. Maya should start but I have a feeling will be coming in off the bench to provide a little spark... I would not be shocked to see Parker start, or Augustus, or Catchings... This will be difficult...

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I would go with Big Syl as the starter in the games where size is at a premium, with Tina subbing in at the 5. This is why they picked up Asjha, so Tina doesn't need to play the 4. (Parker will likely be the starting 4, but Asjha brings depth.) In a more run-and-gun type of game, Tina will get more minutes than Syl and could possibly start.

Keep in mind that the compressed schedule could result in different people starting just to give the 'true' starters a rest.

Reaction Score
I would go with Big Syl as the starter in the games where size is at a premium, with Tina subbing in at the 5. This is why they picked up Asjha, so Tina doesn't need to play the 4. (Parker will likely be the starting 4, but Asjha brings depth.) In a more run-and-gun type of game, Tina will get more minutes than Syl and could possibly start.

Keep in mind that the compressed schedule could result in different people starting just to give the 'true' starters a rest.
My Starting Five - and probably the most obvious. Sometimes the simple answer is the right one.
PG - Bird
SG - DT
SF - Catchings
PF - Parker
C - Fowles

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Is Australia our biggest roadblock? Penny Taylor being out will hurt them bigtime.

I do recall that the Tulsa center [forgotten her name] played well against both Fowles and Tina
in the USA/Australia game a couple of summers ago.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My Starting Five - and probably the most obvious. Sometimes the simple answer is the right one.
PG - Bird
SG - DT
SF - Catchings
PF - Parker
C - Fowles
Yep that's mine too. I posted that on another thread.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Is Australia our biggest roadblock? Penny Taylor being out will hurt them bigtime.

I do recall that the Tulsa center [forgotten her name] played well against both Fowles and Tina
in the USA/Australia game a couple of summers ago.
Cambage (6-8) and Jackson (6-5) could cause some problems. This is were Griner might have been helpful.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
PG - Bird
SG - DT
SF - Catchings
PF - Parker
C - Fowles
Shock troops (second unit):
PG - Whelan
SG - Augustus or Angel
SF - Cash or Angel or Maya
PF - Asjha or Maya
C - Tina

That is some team. Great flexibility.

Reaction Score
Tina is the better player, but Fowles experience might get her the nod. Plus, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have Tina's offense coming off the bench since the starting 1-4s (presumably Bird, Taurasi, Catchings, Parker) will all be elite offensive players.

It really doesn't matter, though. Like someone else mentioned, Tina and Fowles are essentially equals, so depending on who is playing better or matchups (i.e. Fowles will probably play more against Australia's huge front line) will likely dictate playing time from game to game.

Reaction Score
Who from this Olympic team isn't likely to be back in 2016?

Catchings & Swin (37 in 2016) are the oldest
Sue & Ashja would be 36

I doubt Swin & Ashja. Not sure about the other two.

DT (34), Parker (30), Fowles (30), Tina (28), Maya (27) seem like sure things
Whalen (33), Augustus (32), Angel (29) probable

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Who from this Olympic team isn't likely to be back in 2016?

Catchings & Swin (37 in 2016) are the oldest
Sue & Ashja would be 36

I doubt Swin & Ashja. Not sure about the other two.

DT (34), Parker (30), Fowles (30), Tina (28), Maya (27) seem like sure things
Whalen (33), Augustus (32), Angel (29) probable
good post. assuming the 4 you mentioned are gone that would open the door for Griner, Ogwumike, possibly Simms/Harding/Montgomery, and then 1 other...

Reaction Score
good post. assuming the 4 you mentioned are gone that would open the door for Griner, Ogwumike, possibly Simms/Harding/Montgomery, and then 1 other...

Vandersloot, EDD, Hartley, Appel, Diggins, Wiggins, Dupree, Vaughn, D Robinson (looking at old USA rosters)

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Given how physically Catchings plays, I'd be surprised if her body is still holding up at an elite level at 37. I agree that Cash and Jones will also be about ready to move on. Bird could still play, particularly if the team hasn't found a suitable replacement yet.

Reaction Score
Given how physically Catchings plays, I'd be surprised if her body is still holding up at an elite level at 37. I agree that Cash and Jones will also be about ready to move on. Bird could still play, particularly if the team hasn't found a suitable replacement yet.

Kinda what I figured too.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
PG - Bird
SG - DT
SF - Catchings
PF - Parker
C - Fowles

This would be my starting 5. What a lineup!!!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I think that Diggins and Sims will be ready by then. Diggins will have 3 years in the WNBA and Sims will have 2. They will be the best in the world by then. I'm not sure there is a PG in the world that Sims could not guard even at this point in her career.

Reaction Score
I think that Diggins and Sims will be ready by then. Diggins will have 3 years in the WNBA and Sims will have 2. They will be the best in the world by then. I'm not sure there is a PG in the world that Sims could not guard even at this point in her career.

The Olympic committee tends to place a lot of value on experience. A lot of people moaned when Katie Smith (~36) made the 08 team, thinking she was way past her prime. She ended up playing a lot of minutes.

I can see them keeping Bird around to help guide the youngsters, and get them used to the environment, setting them up for 2020.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Tina is the better player, but Fowles experience might get her the nod. Plus, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have Tina's offense coming off the bench since the starting 1-4s (presumably Bird, Taurasi, Catchings, Parker) will all be elite offensive players.

It really doesn't matter, though. Like someone else mentioned, Tina and Fowles are essentially equals, so depending on who is playing better or matchups (i.e. Fowles will probably play more against Australia's huge front line) will likely dictate playing time from game to game.

Better player? No (though it is close). More consistent player? Yes. More reliable player? Yes. But Fowles changes the game more defensively than Charles. Fowles also has more upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom