Will there be basketball rule changes in the future? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will there be basketball rule changes in the future?

Reaction Score
Really well said.
Agreed. Move the 3 point line back, it frees up the court more for lots of inside activity but may result in congestion just outside of a moved back 3 point line. The pro game is getting too focused on the last five minutes of play, could you have bonus points added for leads at the end of the first three 12 minute periods, like plus 5 points???

Reaction Score
I do think a tweak like pushing the 3 point line back would be the only thing I'm really in favor of now. It might make only a small difference but a small difference is all I think the league really needs now as far as this balance issues goes

Reaction Score
Your proposals would make the game a hackathon. That happened when the Original Big East experimented with 6 fouls. and giving a shot would just slow the game down to a crawl. I would suggest calling existing rules like travelling and related things like carrying as they were called traditionally. I forget what game I watched but every single guy either travelled or carried the ball in one stretch. You see guys talks two steps to hoist 3s. Some of these games, I swear would be scoreless if the actually called the what was happening. I’m also thinking that the 3 point shot has reached its limit and though it’s a radical thought, it might be time to eliminate it. It began as a gimmick in the old ABA, then went mainstream, but it may have outlived its usefulness. Go back to requiring guys to actually make plays. Having a guy who can shoot from anywhere will still be valuable. But it won’t be rewarded as much. 10 years ago the league average for 3s was around 34%. Now it’s almost 37%.
You're not reading it correctly. It wouldnt be a hackathon because if you were fouled yould get a free throw and the keep the ball. Its totally different than the big east 6 foul rule. There would be less fouls especially at the end of games. It would eliminate all intentional fouls.

Reaction Score
It's purely math. I was listening to ESPN Radio last week and if you take a 2 from 5 ft out or farther, it is mathematically better to kick it out and try a 3. You get 50% more pts from the 3 ptr and the difference in FG% and 3FG% in those two circumstances will mathematically work out to where taking the 3 is the smarter play.

To solve it? Make the 3FG% harder to achieve and make the mid range 2's worth it once again. Eliminate the corner threes. Extend the rest of the 3 pt line out to where the math works.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
the nba and it's game?
The-Critic-cartoon-it-stinks.jpg

all-time worst rating. barely 6 million. high? 23 million viewers 28 years ago.
NBA All-Star Game Takes a Sharp Nose Dive in TV Ratings Despite New Format (msn.com)
tinkering with the rules ain't the problem.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You just need to calibrate the 3pt line distance to a reasonable expected points per shot. Further back and eliminating the corner 3s will do that.

There's still magic to Steph and Dame pulling up that far out. We want to take early Warriors and 2013-14 Spurs as a platonic ideal of ball movement and try to tinker slightly. How do we make tall guys making post-moves a viable strategy even if you don't have Shaq, for instance? We want diversities of style. The problem with analytics is that it creates a single "best" style.

Completely agree. But part of that is making the 2 point shot relatively easier. That comes to how they call defense and prevent interior baskets.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
1. Internet giving everybody more options.
2. BBall being a gun and crash game with rampant carrying and travel make it boring.
3. Some fans don't want to be told they are bad people.
4. Complicit in CCP human rights abuses.

In combination, these 4 will keep reducing the numbers for the NBA. It's well past its apogee. They're never coming back fully. They are focused on stopping the hemorrhaging.

Reaction Score
You're not reading it correctly. It wouldnt be a hackathon because if you were fouled yould get a free throw and the keep the ball. Its totally different than the big east 6 foul rule. There would be less fouls especially at the end of games. It would eliminate all intentional fouls.
Ok I buy that. But it will still slow the game to a crawl if you have to continually stop play to shoot fouls. I also don’t like taking away the intentional fouls at the end of the game. That is an important element and let’s teams get back into games. I read something a few years ago advocating for a 12 foot basket. But in an era where bigs are irrelevant not sure that helps much.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Prefer this over straightening the arc. It would also cut down on the number of times a player in the corner is called for an of out of bounds.
Rodney Purvis just smiled hearing this.

Reaction Score
The NBA has been very progressive under Silver so I'm sure there will be rule changes going forward, the question is when will the next round of major rule changes that alter the sport take place.

Widening the court has been mentioned for several years now and needs to happen. Make every 3PT shot the same distance. It's a no-brainer but I wouldn't consider it a drastic rule change. Teams will still fire a million threes a night. I would love to see 1-16 seeding; I've wanted it for years as the West has been the dramatically better conference going on 22 seasons now.

Analytics haven't done the game any favors from a fan enjoyment perspective but I think the game can be fine if you just allow physical defense again and cut out the BS fouls they award offensive players for egregious contact-seeking fouls.

I cannot believe I'm saying this but I'm actually trending back towards enjoying college basketball as a whole more than the NBA. The college game is sloppy and ugly and the talent level is quite low compared to two decades ago and conference realignment screwed the sport real good but at least there's a great variety in strategy, styles of play, etc. You still see teams post up frequently, there's physical defense, far less isolation, etc.

Reaction Score
To solve it? Make the 3FG% harder to achieve and make the mid range 2's worth it once again. Eliminate the corner threes. Extend the rest of the 3 pt line out to where the math works.

It'd be amazing if they put a 4' wide arc from 14-18' that was worth 3 points if you were inside of it.

Reaction Score
I agree that flipping should be a technical.

And call carries and travels by the book.
I have no problem making flopping a technical foul.

However the issue with carries is, since today's players are so SO much quicker and more athletic than they were when the rules were written, "carries" happen every possession. You do realize that Kemba wouldn't be an NBA player if they called carries by the book, right? Eliminating the quickness of guards and their ballhandling ability isn't going to improve the watchability of the game, I am sure of that.

And regarding travels, I think there are some misperceptions going on. The NBA rules are simply different than college rules. They allow for a "gather" step and then 2 additional steps, as far as I understand it. Obviously, there are still instances where the refs either have a brainfart or decide not to call an obvious travel. But there are many cases where they are calling it "by the book" - its just a different book than we're used to. Personally, it took me a while to realize that the Eurostep wasn't actually a travel, despite how much my eyes and brain told me it was.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

However the issue with carries is, since today's players are so SO much quicker and more athletic than they were when the rules were written, "carries" happen every possession. You do realize that Kemba wouldn't be an NBA player if they called carries by the book, right? Eliminating the quickness of guards and their ballhandling ability isn't going to improve the watchability of the game, I am sure of that.

And regarding travels, I think there are some misperceptions going on. The NBA rules are simply different than college rules. They allow for a "gather" step and then 2 additional steps, as far as I understand it. Obviously, there are still instances where the refs either have a brainfart or decide not to call an obvious travel. But there are many cases where they are calling it "by the book" - its just a different book than we're used to. Personally, it took me a while to realize that the Eurostep wasn't actually a travel, despite how much my eyes and brain told me it was.

The euro step is still a travel in college according to the rule book unless the player is able to stop his dribble in mid air.

The NBA made their awful rule changes to protect Lebron and trash like ginbili.

The rule book for real basketball (read not the nba) says that you can lift hour pivot foot but cannot bring it back to the floor until a pass or a shot. So technically, 2 complete steps, aka what the euro really is, is a travel.

the Q

Reaction Score

Making them dribble properly isn’t taking away their quickness. At all.

Reaction Score
The euro step is still a travel in college according to the rule book unless the player is able to stop his dribble in mid air.

The NBA made their awful rule changes to protect Lebron and trash like ginbili.

The rule book for real basketball (read not the nba) says that you can lift hour pivot foot but cannot bring it back to the floor until a pass or a shot. So technically, 2 complete steps, aka what the euro really is, is a travel.
Care to explain what you mean by "trash like Ginobili?"

Reaction Score
the West has been the dramatically better conference going on 22 seasons now
Why 1-16 won't happen. If it was the East maybe but NBA can't lose playoff games in the major markets

the Q

Reaction Score
Care to explain what you mean by "trash like Ginobili?"

I hate him from bringing that garbage to the NBA.

Much line I hate Iverson for normalizing blatant carrying on every possession.

I like the rules being correctly enforced

Reaction Score
I hate him from bringing that garbage to the NBA.

Much line I hate Iverson for normalizing blatant carrying on every possession.

I like the rules being correctly enforced
You must have been so mad when they took down the peach baskets

the Q

Reaction Score
You must have been so mad when they took down the peach baskets

I like the rules being enforced.

If you don’t like them, change the rules even if it makes the game a farce, like the NBA does

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom