Will the Big East add a 12th School | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Will the Big East add a 12th School

Reaction Score
UConn can certainly compete with Big East schools, but it is questionable if it can compete with schools from "P5" conferences. You are praising baseball, but their victories have come at the expense of like minded mid majors and now they have coronavirus. In the early season against P5 schools the record was not so great. Maybe UConn basketball can become competitive on a national level, but watching Gonzaga who appeared unbeatable, go down in flames to P5 Baylor was a bit of wake up call. I haven't heard of any of the basketball players from P5 schools in the transfer portal choosing UConn....yet at least. UConn should be a gargantuan in the new Big East, but whether that will transmit to being a national power remains to be seen. Everyone thought UConn would dominate the AAC, yet that didn't work out. Hockey did not make the tourney in its conference and soccer was totally abysmal. I appreciate your optimism, but the facts speak for themselves. You have to be a UConn fan to know these things.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn can certainly compete with Big East schools, but it is questionable if it can compete with schools from "P5" conferences. You are praising baseball, but their victories have come at the expense of like minded mid majors and now they have coronavirus. In the early season against P5 schools the record was not so great. Maybe UConn basketball can become competitive on a national level, but watching Gonzaga who appeared unbeatable, go down in flames to P5 Baylor was a bit of wake up call. I haven't heard of any of the basketball players from P5 schools in the transfer portal choosing UConn....yet at least. UConn should be a gargantuan in the new Big East, but whether that will transmit to being a national power remains to be seen. Everyone thought UConn would dominate the AAC, yet that didn't work out. Hockey did not make the tourney in its conference and soccer was totally abysmal. I appreciate your optimism, but the facts speak for themselves. You have to be a UConn fan to know these things.
Are you replying to me? If you are used to reply function.

UConn baseball is currently slotted to make postseason play. As you may know that’s a difficult thing to do. You can’t early season record was largely against top 15 teams. They would be very successful against most P5 teams. Have you watch them play at all?

Regarding UConn basketball, are you actually suggesting that the portal in a Covid year is a more important metric then top 100 high school kids? LOL, agree to disagree.

So, just my opinion, but if you have to use Gonzaga to make a tortured point against Connecticut, he probably don’t have much of a case.

Reaction Score
You do realize that Connecticut puts baseball players in the pros fairly routinely, right? (Waits for Billy to finish googling). Maybe you’ve heard of George Springer? Right now we’re predicted to be a four seed post season. I expect that to go up a bit before the end of the year.

Sure...and if that is your definition of being a successful program rather than winning Regionals...declare a victory and go home.

No..I had not heard of Springer (and yes I had to google him)....but I found that I did see him play when Connecticut was knocked out of the Regional in Tallahassee by Oregon.

I did notice in the latest Baseball America projections that they had the Huskies going to play in Blacksburg....maybe one of the better draws.

(FSU played VT in Blacksburg this year...took the series)...VT has a good team, but the SEC seeds are to be avoided.

Reaction Score
Are you replying to me? If you are used to reply function.

UConn baseball is currently slotted to make postseason play. As you may know that’s a difficult thing to do. You can’t early season record was largely against top 15 teams. They would be very successful against most P5 teams. Have you watch them play at all?

Regarding UConn basketball, are you actually suggesting that the portal in a Covid year is a more important metric then top 100 high school kids? LOL, agree to disagree.

So, just my opinion, but if you have to use Gonzaga to make a tortured point against Connecticut, he probably don’t have much of a case.
It was a general comment, but now a reply. I only saw baseball once, on TV, and they lost. I don't remember who it was but I believe one of the southern schools. I am sure that they will do well in the Big East, but will likely flame out in the tourney, as usual. Strange how everyone seems overjoyed that UConn women got a great transfer from Ohio State and it is a big deal in Covid year portal, yet UConn men seem to yet get anyone.
It seems to me the P5 schools have the advantage in basketball tournaments as they have a rougher road to get there, in general.

CL82

Reaction Score
Sure...and if that is your definition of being a successful program rather than winning Regionals...declare a victory and go home.

No..I had not heard of Springer (and yes I had to google him)....but I found that I did see him play when Connecticut was knocked out of the Regional in Tallahassee by Oregon.

I did notice in the latest Baseball America projections that they had the Huskies going to play in Blacksburg....maybe one of the better draws.

(FSU played VT in Blacksburg this year...took the series)...VT has a good team, but the SEC seeds are to be avoided.
Lol, you seem so vested in being pejorative about Connecticut, at least you could spend a minute or two actually looking things up before before making blanket assumptions. Just in the last week you asserted that no northeastern team had had any success in woman's soccer, until I pointed out Connecticut had gone to the championship game 4 times, and then you lambasted UConn's imagined lack of success in baseball until I pointed out their success post season and in the number of players (currently 21) playing pro-baseball. You were wrong on both counts.

I really don't understand what motivates someone to go another team's board and take (often meritless) shots at their team. You've told me that you do on several boards, which astounds me. But I've always been inclined to celebrate successes rather than try to degrade others, but you do you. (SMH)

Be well.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
It was a general comment, but now a reply. I only saw baseball once, on TV, and they lost. I don't remember who it was but I believe one of the southern schools. I am sure that they will do well in the Big East, but will likely flame out in the tourney, as usual. Strange how everyone seems overjoyed that UConn women got a great transfer from Ohio State and it is a big deal in Covid year portal, yet UConn men seem to yet get anyone.
It seems to me the P5 schools have the advantage in basketball tournaments as they have a rougher road to get there, in general.
Oh, a general reply. When you used the phrase "you are praising baseball" it seemed like you were replying directly to my post.

The transfer of an all Big 10 player to the WBB team, filled a need, which may become more apparent shortly. It was a nice pick up. Hurley is going in a different direction on the men's team. I'd expect an announcement in the next 60 days or so. In any event the last I saw no one is printing up banners for how many portal transfers you pick up in the off season. Using that as the marker of the success of a program is kind of a silly hill to die on IMO.

UConn is playing .571 baseball (16-12) 6 of those losses were close games against ranked teams on the road. You should try to catch more games they are a good team with decent pitching and a solid offense. Especially at home they've had some clutch hitting. Have you seen the Elliot Ballpark? It is really a beautiful park.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lol, you seem so vested in being pejorative about Connecticut, at least you could spend a minute or two actually looking things up before before making blanket assumptions. Just in the last week you asserted that no northeastern team had had any success in woman's soccer, until I pointed out Connecticut had gone to the championship game 4 times, and then you lambasted UConn's imagined lack of success in baseball until I pointed out their success post season and in the number of players (currently 21) playing pro-baseball. You were wrong on both counts.

I really don't understand what motivates someone to go another team's board and take (often meritless) shots at their team. You've told me that you do on several boards, which astounds me. But I've always been inclined to celebrate successes rather than try to degrade others, but you do you. (SMH)

Be well.

I usually keep up with women's soccer..not so much men's....

And yes...quite frankly, I did not know of UConn's women's runners up of 40 and 37 years back...I did remember The UNC-UConn 2003 match.

I guess, everything is comparative and my vantage point affects my viewpoint...I, like many of us, tend to focus on the last 20 seasons....where UNC has been in the Finals nine times, winning six NC's....the women that I am most familiar with (FSU) have been to four, winning two NC's, and the Irish going to four and winning two NC's. UConn had that very good team 18 years back...I do remember.

RE UConn baseball..again maybe I am too comparative...Uconn has made five NCAA tournament appearances in the 28 years since joining the Big East in 1985. Ten years ago, UConn played in it's one and only Super Regional losing to South Carolina.

And yes, UConn puts players in MLB....had a huge ten players drafted by MLB in 2011...but still didn't win their Super that year...winning is the measure, not losing with MLB players.

Reaction Score
RE UConn baseball..again maybe I am too comparative...Uconn has made five NCAA tournament appearances in the 28 years since joining the Big East in 1985.

I count 9 NCAA Tournament appearances since 1985 (1990, 1993, 1994, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2018, 2019).

Reaction Score
I count 9 NCAA Tournament appearances since 1985 (1990, 1993, 1994, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2018, 2019).

Need to correct wiki then...should be updated.

"The end of true regional play has hurt teams from the northeast, Connecticut included, as they have made just five NCAA Tournament appearances in 28 seasons since beginning play in the Big East in 1985. The Huskies made their first Super Regional appearance in 2011, defeating traditional power Clemson before falling to eventual national champion South Carolina."

Reaction Score
CL82...

We will always see things a little differently...you, as a fan with some emotional attachment...and me, with a different frame of reference and no emotional attachment.

It is all just discussion....I tend to be emotionally attached to a different program and follow more ACC teams and SEC teams than I do Big East.

But even within fan bases, there are folks who view things differently than others as you notice with Scooter and Buddy.

On FSU boards, there was a body of fans that wanted legendary Coach Mike Martin canned....because he never could win the big one....57 Regionals, 23 trips to the CWS and FSU has never won the NC...and some fans felt that Martin wasn't the man because he didn't win the big game. And others who vieweded him as the best coach in baseball.

Right now, there are some who feel that way about Hamilton...he can get a team just so far is the complaint....three years Sweet Sixteen in a row...but not enough for the fervent fan.

Ultimately...winning is the mark to be met...and winning at a high level if you do win.

CL82

Reaction Score
CL82...

We will always see things a little differently...you, as a fan with some emotional attachment...and me, with a different frame of reference and no emotional attachment.

It is all just discussion....I tend to be emotionally attached to a different program and follow more ACC teams and SEC teams than I do Big East.

But even within fan bases, there are folks who view things differently than others as you notice with Scooter and Buddy.

On FSU boards, there was a body of fans that wanted legendary Coach Mike Martin canned....because he never could win the big one....57 Regionals, 23 trips to the CWS and FSU has never won the NC...and some fans felt that Martin wasn't the man because he didn't win the big game. And others who vieweded him as the best coach in baseball.

Right now, there are some who feel that way about Hamilton...he can get a team just so far is the complaint....three years Sweet Sixteen in a row...but not enough for the fervent fan.

Ultimately...winning is the mark to be met...and winning at a high level if you do win.
Sigh... tag me if you want me to see your posts or hit reply...

No doubt that I am more "emotionally attached" to UConn than you. I am just at a loss why you go to another team's site to post negative, and not infrequently wrong, posts about the team. I just don't see the attraction in it. But as I said, you do you.

Reaction Score
Sigh... tag me if you want me to see your posts or hit reply...

No doubt that I am more "emotionally attached" to UConn than you. I am just at a loss why you go to another team's site to post negative, and not infrequently wrong, posts about the team. I just don't see the attraction in it. But as I said, you do you.

What a fan may see as "negative", I might see as my outsider assessment...

And it is true that my current assessment is that UConn will excel at basketball, be mid level in baseball and football....that may read as negative for a fan...

I do post on a few sites...WVU's since 2002, Oklahoma, UNC, Clemson, Florida, VT, GT, Notre Dame...and a few more...

And while I posted incorrect info today...I did direct Eric to the incorrect UConn data reported on Wikipedia. Mea maxima culpa...

And UConn does have a chance to get out of a Regional this year if the projection holds for Roanoke....VT and Michigan with Old Dominion are maybe the best that one could hope for...I'll cheer for the Huskies...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And while I posted incorrect info today...I did direct Eric to the incorrect UConn data reported on Wikipedia.

In your haste to denigrate UConn Baseball, you clearly missed the correct information in the big chart on the same Wiki page you chose to post your "outsider assessment" from:

UConn Huskies baseball - Wikipedia.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Youth baseball is huge in Florida and the south.....I would have thought thatt baseball was bigger in the Northeast...with Cooperstown and all.

It is.

But it is also very much a summer game; most youth leagues don’t even start practicing until April. Things don’t really get rip-roaring until June and July.

The popularity of college baseball in the northeast (and Midwest to be fair) suffers by the fact that practice and games start in February and March when most Northeast fields are some combination of snow and mud, and then by the time we are able to play home games, all the pro and semi-pro leagues are drawing the fan attention.

Play college ball over the summer, that’d make things MUCH different.

Reaction Score
Oh, a general reply. When you used the phrase "you are praising baseball" it seemed like you were replying directly to my post.

The transfer of an all Big 10 player to the WBB team, filled a need, which may become more apparent shortly. It was a nice pick up. Hurley is going in a different direction on the men's team. I'd expect an announcement in the next 60 days or so. In any event the last I saw no one is printing up banners for how many portal transfers you pick up in the off season. Using that as the marker of the success of a program is kind of a silly hill to die on IMO.

UConn is playing .571 baseball (16-12) 6 of those losses were close games against ranked teams on the road. You should try to catch more games they are a good team with decent pitching and a solid offense. Especially at home they've had some clutch hitting. Have you seen the Elliot Ballpark? It is really a beautiful park.
Unfortunately, I live quite a distance away from Storrs, but my memories, although back then it was nothing like it is now, are fond. Really fond. I truly hope to make a visit some day soon, so we will see. I want all UConn teams to succeed. I haven't seen Elliot Ballpark in person, but from what I did see, it is truly spectacular addition for UConn athletics. The point I was trying to make was that it seems that the P5 schools have an advantage in the post season as their regular season is more challenging.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I live quite a distance away from Storrs, but my memories, although back then it was nothing like it is now, are fond. Really fond. I truly hope to make a final visit some day soon, so we will see. I want all UConn teams to succeed. I have never gotten over the rejection of UConn by the ACC, and it has left me very angry. You seem to be a level headed good guy, and I mean no disrespect.
The new Athletic Campus is really impressive. This doesn't do it just but it gives you the flavor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The new Athletic Campus is really impressive. This doesn't do it just but it give you the flavor.

I used to go to basketball games at the Field House, and that was a thrill. This is incredible.

CL82

Reaction Score
I used to go to basketball games at the Field House, and that was a thrill. This is incredible.
The Field House was a great place to see a game. I have great memories of it.

Reaction Score
The Field House was a great place to see a game. I have great memories of it.

No creature comforts to be had at the old Field House, but watching games there were certainly fun times.

CL82

Reaction Score
No creature comforts to be had at the old Field House, but watching games there were certainly fun times.
People filling the seats, then the aisles, then sitting on the floor in front of the stands, then wherever they could find a place to stand. Cheering so loud that the dust falling from the rafters. It was the quintessential college basketball experience. I miss the old band boxes.

Reaction Score
In your haste to denigrate UConn Baseball, you clearly missed the correct information in the big chart on the same Wiki page you chose to post your "outsider assessment" from:

View attachment 66814

Well...heck...the opening on Wiki spelled it out...and no...I didn't study the various charts...

"The end of true regional play has hurt teams from the northeast, Connecticut included, as they have made just five NCAA Tournament appearances in 28 seasons since beginning play in the Big East in 1985. The Huskies made their first Super Regional appearance in 2011, defeating traditional power Clemson before falling to eventual national champion South Carolina."

I went to a source...read it...they were wrong...I was in no rush to post something derogatory...I read what was listed...and if the section was not internally consistent, shame on them...

Reaction Score
Well...heck...the opening on Wiki spelled it out...and no...I didn't study the various charts...

I went to a source...read it...they were wrong...I was in no rush to post something derogatory...I read what was listed...and if the section was not internally consistent, shame on them...
You should live in the mountainous northwestern corner of the state, given the amount of time you spend on a Connecticut message board.

Reaction Score
You should live in the mountainous northwestern corner of the state, given the amount of time you spend on a Connecticut message board.

Retired...vaccinated but still cautious due to age and co morbidity possibilities...daytime TV sucks...so...I am on the internet...and this marks my 8th year on the yard...And I do love these mountains....and, if I want to go to a mall, Costco, or Bestbuy,...well...a four hour round trip ain't awful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom