Will the Big East add a 12th School | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will the Big East add a 12th School

Reaction Score
I have this weird feeling one of the old BE schools comes back. I could see Cuse as their fans seem to long for the success they once had and don’t like being a consistent middle of pack team in the ACC.
Do you know what no freaking way means? UConn is probably the only school willing to downgrade its athletic program without either downgrading entirely to D3 or something or totally dropping a sport. Because make no mistake. That is what this move was. UConn decided to downgrade its athletic program. And please don’t give me any P6 nonsense. Villanova and a bunch of teams that flame out in The first weekend of the tourney doesn’t equal a P6 league. If The Big East is P6 the league with Gonzaga is P6A.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Besides the fact that Liberty has big FB ambitions and would jump the minute the American or even Sun Belt came calling, I suspect the Catholic schools would have a problem associating with Evangelical nut jobs.
A certain state school may too.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Do you know what no freaking way means? UConn is probably the only school willing to downgrade its athletic program without either downgrading entirely to D3 or something or totally dropping a sport. Because make no mistake. That is what this move was. UConn decided to downgrade its athletic program. And please don’t give me any P6 nonsense. Villanova and a bunch of teams that flame out in The first weekend of the tourney doesn’t equal a P6 league. If The Big East is P6 the league with Gonzaga is P6A.
Geesh you’re act is so tired

Reaction Score
Tell us why you’re mad, again.

Reaction Score
I think he is saying that Cuse won’t consider rejoining the Big East because of the money, which is true.

That...and for the next 15 years..a GOR.

I wish that, if Cuse found another home, that the ACC would release them from the GOR....but, Iike has been said, I don't see the BE being able to pony up enough money to make any immediate Cuse return viable.

Of course Syracuse fans miss their days in the Big East....and moan about their standings in the ACC. Much like UConn folks did while in the AAC.

Reaction Score
It’s remarkable that you speak out on so many topics and are so consistently wrong. There are 2 explanations, of course, including that your bad takes are intentional.

Reaction Score
Zissou posted:

"It’s remarkable that you speak out on so many topics and are so consistently wrong. There are 2 explanations, of course, including that your bad takes are intentional."

There are options to rebut a thought, offer your opinion, etc....rather than choose to make it personal. Attack the person.

Freescooter just has a different view....he has retired his pom-poms.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Zissou posted:

"It’s remarkable that you speak out on so many topics and are so consistently wrong. There are 2 explanations, of course, including that your bad takes are intentional."

There are options to rebut a thought, offer your opinion, etc....rather than choose to make it personal. Attack the person.

Freescooter just has a different view....he has retired his pom-poms.
I suspect he is intentionally making the bad takes .

Reactions: VCE
Reaction Score
The return to the Big East has solidified UConn's position as a midmajor school. They essentially waved the white flag in hoping to get a P5 invite by rejoining the Big East. It is understandable given the downward spiral that was occurring for UConn in the AAC. Once they realized that no invite was coming, they bolted the AAC to save some bucks. Freescooter is correct in his assessment. The overall department of athletics was sacrificed in an attempt to "save" men's basketball.

Reaction Score
Bad takes?

If you disagree....it's a bad take?
Yes, bad takes. Or factually incorrect, if you prefer.

“Villanova and a bunch of teams that flame out in The first weekend of the tourney doesn’t equal a P6 league.”

Do I need to count the ways?

Is UConn too good for the Big 10 too?

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily agree with Buddy and the Scooter all of the time.... But

Zissou...You tend to be basketball-centric and the Big East IS a decent league in basketball...

But as a total sports league the BE is far from being a "P6"...

.....football is irrelevant since it is not a league sport....and being a non football conference is the realm of the BE, Atlantic 10, Atlantic Sun, and Big West.

.....BE baseball is not nationally relevant...two BE programs don't have a team & the league is a single bid league ...has anyone in the current BE won a Super Regional?

You are talking basketball...they are talking more than basketball....

Yes...we know that going to the BE was a rational, and maybe the only, choice....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He’s clearly talking about hoops and March Madness.

oof. Scooter is intentionally off base and bb can’t follow along.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah...I can't follow....yet another example of Zissou getting personal....

I have a pretty decent IQ....and I follow...what he said is that he sees nothing from the Big East that qualifies as being a "P6" conference....and yes, he mentioned the recent basketball performance.

I tend to agree that the Big East is further from being a P6 than is the AAC, who coined the term.

Reaction Score
Moving to the Big East was both a wise, and necessary, decision for UConn. We are a basketball-centric university, and always will be. Division1 football can be successful (ie: fun-to-watch, drawing crowds against geographically-relevant opponents such as Army, UMass, BC, Temple, Rutgers, Syracuse, Buffalo, perhaps Navy), and only modestly money-losing. The only sport that suffers a decline in competitive scheduling is baseball.....................but we will remain among (if not atop) the Northeastern programs, given the superb facilities and superior coaching.

Field hockey (among the country's best programs), M&W soccer, softball, volleyball, track and XC, et al are better off in the BE. Even if the level of competition were similar, the travel considerations tip the balance. Ice Hockey....................case closed. Hockey East is the best conference in the country, top-to-bottom. While the top teams in the NCHC "might" be a shade better, HE's competitive balance is unmatched.

The future is bright in the Big East. BUT........................................................we need football to become relevant! The ball is in your court, Randy.

Reaction Score
The BE is a basketball conference.....

Baseball is sacrifiiced and will never be relevant for the Huskies....football for UConn in the future will be less than that at Wake Forest/ Duke.

It was necessary to move to the Big East because basketball was atrophying in the AAC.....but it was a painful choice.

Like a diabetic who has a leg with gangrene, the leg had to be sacrificed to save the body.

Reaction Score
And, forgive me, but as a southern boy, I pay as much attention to hockey as you guys do to Beach Volleyball.

I did watch the Miracle on Ice...but, heck, I watched Olympic Ice Dancing as well...A once every four years patriotic kind of thing.

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily agree with Buddy and the Scooter all of the time.... But

Zissou...You tend to be basketball-centric and the Big East IS a decent league in basketball...

But as a total sports league the BE is far from being a "P6"...

.....football is irrelevant since it is not a league sport....and being a non football conference is the realm of the BE, Atlantic 10, Atlantic Sun, and Big West.

.....BE baseball is not nationally relevant...two BE programs don't have a team & the league is a single bid league ...has anyone in the current BE won a Super Regional?

You are talking basketball...they are talking more than basketball....

Yes...we know that going to the BE was a rational, and maybe the only, choice....
Actually three Big East schools don’t play baseball. DePaul, Marquette and Providence.

Reaction Score
Youth baseball is huge in Florida and the south.....I would have thought thatt baseball was bigger in the Northeast...with Cooperstown and all.

Reaction Score
East Carolina is currently ranked in the Top 10...and UCF and Tulane were in the AP before the season was called last year.

The AAC isn't a premier baseball conference...but can put up good teams.

CL82

Reaction Score
Baseball is sacrifiiced and will never be relevant for the Huskies
You do realize that Connecticut puts baseball players in the pros fairly routinely, right? (Waits for Billy to finish googling). Maybe you’ve heard of George Springer? Right now we’re predicted to be a four seed post season. I expect that to go up a bit before the end of the year.

CL82

Reaction Score
UConn is probably the only school willing to downgrade its athletic program without either downgrading entirely to D3 or something or totally dropping a sport.
Did we downgrade men’s basketball? You really should let the top 100 HS players know, because they sure seem to be more interested in us now that were in the Big East. You probably should let the players know to because we made it back to the NCAA’s this year and they were all disappointed. Apparently they’re not giving up either. You probably should let the Women’s team know as well because they just went to their 13th straight final four. Hockey looks pretty good this year in baseball is going to be playing in the postseason again, but then again you’d have to be a Yukon in the actuallyHockey looks pretty good this year in baseball is going to be playing in the postseason again, but then again you’d have to be a UConn fan to actually know those things.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom