Will Sterling Dupree Gibbs... | The Boneyard

Will Sterling Dupree Gibbs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

be the best guard in college basketball next year and contend for National Player of the Year (NPY)?

The answer to that question could very easily be a resounding YES. :)

What do you guys think?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
We're too balanced offensively to expect that from Gibbs. His job is to keep the team steady. Move the basketball and hit 3-4 open 3's a game.

Reaction Score
Gibbs is entering a very different situation at UConn.

In his last year at Seton Hall, Gibbs anchored a very young team. Aside from Gibbs, their 2nd, 4th, 5th and 7th best scorers were all freshmen, so when it came down to crunch time, Gibbs was the man and senior Brandon Mobley, a 6-9 forward, was the interior option.

Entering UConn, Gibbs is a cog of a very deep team. Seton Hall didn't have a Purvis or Hamilton on their team, and there's also Miller and Adams to add to the mix.

I'm ecstatic that Gibbs is on the team and he will instantly be our best outside shooter, but my expectations for him will be something like: 14 points, 2 boards, 4 assists per game. He might even be our top scorer, but I can't expect top honors for him.

Reaction Score
he will be one of the most efficient players in college basketball because he won't have to take bad shots and should have a great turnover to assist ratio. His numbers won't be good enough to get first team all american though

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
He just needs to get close to what Boat was for us last year. Make tough shots, lead, play defense. If we get even 90% of boat we're in a great spot.

Reaction Score
No, if he was that caliber of player he would be heading to the NBA. He will provide solid experienced play, but he shouldn't be our best player. If he is our best player then our team is really bad, or he is much better than advertised. I hope that didn't sound too harsh, I'm happy to have him and think he will be valuable to the team, but it will be because he will make his teammates better not because he is an obvious lottery pick.

Reaction Score
  • sdotgibbs4Just got off the phone with my big brother killa Ky!! That motivational talk and inspiration was everything. Sometimes people take for granted the opportunities that are put in front of them. God put you in a specific situation for a reason and it's up to you to take advantage of it. I thank God every single night for these opportunities and blessings that he's allowed. #blessed
  • hoodavillefab
  • soseansandy#UCONN
  • worldboss_wgMy boy keep working
  • ucka5Killa ky that man
  • billycharlemNephew keep fighting.. @sdotgibbs4
  • mcube13Keep grindin homie , let's get after it this year at UCONN @sdotgibbs4
  • easymcclellanKILL. EVERYTHING.

It looks like Sterling the G'MAN is on a mission to take the college basketball world by storm. My guess is we find out against Maryland who the best GS transfer in the United States of America just happens to be. Against this good but beatable preseason #1 or #2 team Sterling the G'MAN will showcase his immense basketball talents and help pave the way to a year filled with dreams and a walk down the yellow brick road otherwise known as...basketball's promised land (The Final4)! His grinding seems to be at unprecedented levels as he prepares to fire killa daggers at every opponent that dares to get in his way!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Why stop there? I heard he'll cure cancer, reform immigration, and defeat ISIS as well.

In all seriousness, enough with the unrealistic expectations. I want him to be an outstanding PG who exhibits leadership and confidence, and we'll go from there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He just needs to get close to what Boat was for us last year. Make tough shots, lead, play defense. If we get even 90% of boat we're in a great spot.
I think he needs to distribute and get the talent around him involved taking advantage of lanes and open shots when they are there. Last year's team Achilles heel was a natural over reliance on Boat. This year I am hopeful that it is really tough to "cut the head off the dragon"... in fact, I think we'll be more hydra than dragon this year.

Hydra-mythical-creatures-28582631-1134-709.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We must pose this question to any Doubting Thomas that exists as it relates to the 1 and only Sterling G.

Who in college hoops will be a better guard than Sterling Dupree???? Arguably there isn't another guard in the country that provides his team what Sterling does. Will he provide Lombardi type leadership? Maybe not. I do think though his heart, mind and the whole of his physical being is just craving to be part of something special and bigger than himself. What better coach than Kevin Ollie to tap into this talent? To drive this kid to heights not even Sterling thought he could reach. To me the Sterling/KO marriage as coach and player could turn out to be beyond special. The man (Sterling) is hungry and you know what happens when someone becomes a Hungry Husky???

Reaction Score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We must pose this question to any Doubting Thomas that exists as it relates to the 1 and only Sterling G.

Who in college hoops will be a better guard than Sterling Dupree???? Arguably there isn't another guard in the country that provides his team what Sterling does. Will he provide Lombardi type leadership? Maybe not. I do think though his heart, mind and the whole of his physical being is just craving to be part of something special and bigger than himself. What better coach than Kevin Ollie to tap into this talent? To drive this kid to heights not even Sterling thought he could reach. To me the Sterling/KO marriage as coach and player could turn out to be beyond special. The man (Sterling) is hungry and you know what happens when someone becomes a Hungry Husky???

2ecludj.jpg

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
This board can start bizarre threads with the best of em.
What's bizarre? Sterling is a greek god, The Hydra is greek Mythos. Rick James smoked the Hydra, or hydro if you willl. As did anyone who listens to that hungry huskies rap on a regular basis and Kenan Thompson is always hungry. This is all completely rational.

Reaction Score
Some of the comp at PG for top diggity doggy honors (Bob Cousey Award) are Chris Dunn (Friars), Monte Morris (Iowa State), Yogi (Hoosiers), Paige (UNC), FVV (Shockers), Nic Moore (SMU) and Melo (Maryland). After looking at the quality of these players has some Rick James (Super Freak great tune) puffery been smoked when comparing Sterling? There is no question that main stream media and the majority of UConn fans will clearly view Sterling as a mere after thought when comparing his game to the above players. I do believe though that while Buddy Hield (Sooners) is building biceps the size of freakin Mount Everest our very own SG's is primed to slay the college basketball world like an assassin with no conscience. A ruthless finisher with the touch of gold. :) ...:)

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Gibbs gives us an experienced point guard and 2 guards on the team able to play the point w/o turning the ball over. The latter was desperately needed last year.

We need him to be good, not POY

Reaction Score
Our starting five will present serious challenges for most teams to defend assuming we see March Purvis (not the totals, but the consistency and aggressiveness) and a jump in consistency and IQ from DHam. Gibbs focus will be on running the offense and hitting 3's.

The primary concern is running the show on offense. Admittedly I have not seen him in a full game to learn if he knows how to run a team, but I imagine he is capable as he has been a PG his entire collegiate career. Last year not only was Boat moving to a new position full time, but he had to develop chemistry with an entirely new group of teammates; Gibbs still needs to mesh with all new guys, but he has more experience as the primary ball handler and those new guys are now a year older and should require less babysitting than they did. With Purvis/Hamilton/Adams/Calhoun/Brimah/Miller all theoretically threats to score 10 any given night, Gibbs will really be making sure they get the ball in spots where they are threats to score. Also, i hope that KO has him pushing the ball every chance especially when Gibbs/Adams/Purvis/Hamilton are all on the floor. If that lineup can hold its own on the defensive end they will destroy teams quickly the other way.

Gibbs from outside the arc though, that is why I am excited. Even without otr threats on his squad he made 75 3's on 44% in the Big East. I expect closer to 100 3's this year, roughly 3 a game. If teams run their D to keep him of the 3 point line they will get eaten alive by driving purvis/ham/adams. If they sit back, he will make it rain. I cannot wait for the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom