Will stadium issues doom UConn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will stadium issues doom UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
One word on the stadium hurting UConn chances would be........NO!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The plans are ready. I was told the new scoreboard is HD and huge. Just the TV screen alone is what our entire board is now. They have to get rid of the wandering and standing venues. One of the reasons our stands often appear so empty is too many folks not in their seats. That will cease with expansion. The original designer admits to big mistake having so many open portals.

I can't stand the social hour over the scoreboard. I would welcome any stadium renovation plans that enclose that side of the stadium whether it's with seating or a huge scoreboard.

Expand the Rent!

Reaction Score
I can't stand the social hour over the scoreboard. I would welcome any stadium renovation plans that enclose that side of the stadium whether it's with seating or a huge scoreboard.

Expand the Rent!

............and of course there is CABELA'S across the way. What a recruiting tool for the rednecks from the ACC. We should be a lock for the ACC.
Instead of tailgating, the visitors can go across the way, buy your ammo, and hunting supplies. What a way to it's a WIN/WIN.

Reaction Score
Stadium issues have long been an issue if being shortsighted is a problem. Stadium should have been built on campus (nothing like college football on game day to bring people back to old State U). But even on it's present stite, the tried to make it "unobtrusive" and "low profile" (What . . . so no one would be able to see it? Because it was visual blight?). And of course, they built it tiny. 50K should have been the minimum and they should have closed off that stupid beer garden (and I love suds don't get me wrong) to force more people to spend more time in their seats rather than stand, drink, and BS with the game as an after thought). And finally, since the public can only glimnce at the Stadium from Silver Lane, how about putting something similar on this side as they have on the Cabelas side so that to the uninformed who are riding by are immediately aware of UConn's pride and joy. Stop thinking small Connecticut.

Reaction Score
The Rent was never going to be built on campus because it would have cost hundreds of millions to address the infrastructure issues - namely extending 384 or building a 4 lane connector to 84.

Even beyond those fundamental issues, if it was in Storrs, you would really diminish your Fairfield county attendance, a part of the state where you are already competing with many pro sporting options.

Even with flaws such as the beer garden, the Rent is an expandable facility in a great spot...it won't be a deciding factor in the ACC selection.

Reaction Score
Lets get a few sellouts in a row before we start the silly talk of taxpayer funded expansion. Most of us are both football fans and taxpayers.

I have tried, over the years, to get this board to focus on Public Finance beyond the cliche. It never works.

Rentschler is fine. In fact, the conservative operating revenue projections done when the Stadium was built PLUS the unbelievable low finance cost now locked into place ... leaves the Net Income available for Debt Service at a number that you can expand that Stadium.

So ... the issue is Public Relations. It is this "silly talk of taxpayer funded expansion" that is incorrect. That is NOT what happens. The Stadium (and also the Public Authority that owns the Stadium) is a separate finance entity. This is NOT going to be paid with your CT tax dollars. I am not saying that it is totally separate from the "full faith & credit" of the State Government. But, I am saying that you can certainly raise the funding necessary to accomplish the expansion on current Net Income.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Rent was never going to be built on campus because it would have cost hundreds of millions to address the infrastructure issues - namely extending 384 or building a 4 lane connector to 84.

Even beyond those fundamental issues, if it was in Storrs, you would really diminish your Fairfield county attendance, a part of the state where you are already competing with many pro sporting options.

Even with flaws such as the beer garden, the Rent is an expandable facility in a great spot...it won't be a deciding factor in the ACC selection.

The reality is that with a little foresight, the state would see the wisdom in doing those things anyway. Universities should be magnets for research and development, tech companies, entertainment venues etc. If Storrs was more accessible, with football on campus, and more restaurants, bars and other necessities, businesses would move there, and it would all be a nice growth opportunity.

Reaction Score

These things should have been done anyway. You have the University of Friggin Connecticut stuck out in the middle of nowhere without limited highway access. Connecticut needs to start thinking in this century not the 1800's.

Reaction Score
These things should have been done anyway. You have the University of Friggin Connecticut stuck out in the middle of nowhere without limited highway access. Connecticut needs to start thinking in this century not the 1800's.
The infrastructure can barely handle 10,000 people coming to a game at Gampel. How is it going to handle 5x's that? Plus, where was it going to go?

I would have liked it to be on campus as much as the next guy/gal. However, it just doesn't make sense.

Reaction Score
Stadium issues have long been an issue if being shortsighted is a problem. Stadium should have been built on campus (nothing like college football on game day to bring people back to old State U). But even on it's present stite, the tried to make it "unobtrusive" and "low profile" (What . . . so no one would be able to see it? Because it was visual blight?). And of course, they built it tiny. 50K should have been the minimum and they should have closed off that stupid beer garden (and I love suds don't get me wrong) to force more people to spend more time in their seats rather than stand, drink, and BS with the game as an after thought). And finally, since the public can only glimnce at the Stadium from Silver Lane, how about putting something similar on this side as they have on the Cabelas side so that to the uninformed who are riding by are immediately aware of UConn's pride and joy. Stop thinking small Connecticut.

We would be behind, not ahead of, where we are today if we build the stadium to seat 50k. Because we didn't need the seats, and the fact that we basically filled the stadium from day one made the stadium exciting and created more buzz. If we started playing in a half empty stadium, fans would have stopped coming sooner.

When we need 50k seats, we will have the expansion.

By the way TDH -- I'm waiting for your explanation of how it's possible to emphasize everything you want in a football team (Heisman contender, throw the ball around, move the ball explosively) and still be on a five game losing streak like the 'Neers. I thought all we had to do to win was that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom