Will stadium issues doom UConn? | The Boneyard

Will stadium issues doom UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hope not and if so, I don't think Uconn will have a problem expanding its stadium. I think if we join the ACC everybody would want to play in our tiny stadium.

Reaction Score
Nobody wants to come to our tiny stadium. Will that kill UConn's chances of changing seats?

Of course not. We'd commit to the 12k or so expansion as a condition to joining, and we could complete it probably in one year.

There are many stadiums where football games are played with less than 40k people in the building in the ACC. Including Maryland when we were there.

Reaction Score
duke never filled wallace wade stadium, i dont think it will be an issue, but I can see uconn added 10k seats if invited to another conference.

U

UConn9604

Of course not. We'd commit to the 12k or so expansion as a condition to joining, and we could complete it probably in one year.

There are many stadiums where football games are played with less than 40k people in the building in the ACC. Including Maryland when we were there.

It is cheaper to fix our stadium problem than it is to fix Louisville's and Cincinnati's U.S. News & World Report rankings problem.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Official capacity of the Wake and Duke stadiums are less than 35k. Alumni Stadium in Chestnut Hill only seats 44,500 (expanded right after they beat Notre Dame in the early 90's). As mentioned, many of these teams (BC, Maryland, etc.) play in front of much small crowds than their capacity.

My guess is stadium capacity (and hopefully an upgraded video/scoreboard) will be further addressed once the facility operator is settled. Whoever it is, needs to book more events at the Rent, whatever they are (even non-sporting events...Wedding receptions come to mind). Save for 6 days in the fall, a handfull of concerts and a couple soccer games, the building stands empty.

Reaction Score
How does the ACC work in terms of how many games do they play in each division?

Playing FSU, Clemson and Miami at home every 4 years won't do much for attendance.

Reaction Score
Not that I currently think expansion of The Rent is a good idea (I can just see vast emptiness in the stands on TV) but is there a diagram or plan available on how the proposed expansion would look like?

Reaction Score
How does the ACC work in terms of how many games do they play in each division?

Playing FSU, Clemson and Miami at home every 4 years won't do much for attendance.

Wouldn't the ACC replacement team (UConn / Ville / Wildcard) simply slot into the UMD slot in the Coastal division? If that's the case, those schools are annual opponents.

Even if the ACC shuffles it up a bit, still better for attendance than the pu pu platter the NBE will be serving up in 2014...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
1. Add seats where DJ booth is.
2. Enclose the Beer Garden under the scoreboard.
3. Add another deck opposite the suite tower, if necessary.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
1. Add seats where DJ booth is.
2. Enclose the Beer Garden under the scoreboard.
3. Add another deck opposite the suite tower, if necessary.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

The existing plans are to do #3. The infrastructure (footings, etc.) were done when the stadium was already built.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't the ACC replacement team (UConn / Ville / Wildcard) simply slot into the UMD slot in the Coastal division? If that's the case, those schools are annual opponents.

Even if the ACC shuffles it up a bit, still better for attendance than the pu pu platter the NBE will be serving up in 2014...

I didn't realize that MD was in the same division with FSU and Clemson. I'm sure that would be the case seeing BCU is in the same division.

Reaction Score
I didn't realize that MD was in the same division with FSU and Clemson. I'm sure that would be the case seeing BCU is in the same division.
It works out well because Syracuse will be in that division too.

Reaction Score
Nobody wants to come to our tiny stadium. Will that kill UConn's chances of changing seats?

Nobody except for Michigan, Tennessee, NC State, et cetera. ND's reluctance to play us never had anything to do with our stadium size. If you think it does try to explain to me why they've played at BC and Wake Forest(capacity 31k) in the past couple years.

Reaction Score
The Rent is actually an awesome facility, and very capable of upgrading and built to accomodate that.

Reaction Score
No ACC team will have that many traveling supporters to warrant asking UConn to expand the Rent. If we do expand, we should start with temporary seating at field level and below the scoreboard.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
No worries as we know even with the state financially buried in red tape money greases the gears on the greed machine consider it done. And sooner than you think.

Reaction Score
Lets get a few sellouts in a row before we start the silly talk of taxpayer funded expansion. Most of us are both football fans and taxpayers.

Reaction Score
The existing plans are to do #3. The infrastructure (footings, etc.) were done when the stadium was already built.
A friend of mine works for State of Ct DPW as an engineer on state construction projects. I asked him just last week about Rentschler...he told me plans for a 30,000 seat expansion are dine and just awaiting the go ahead from UConn (funding he said is ready to go)... footings are all there and expansion project will be quick since it is all modular.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
A friend of mine works for State of Ct DPW as an engineer on state construction projects. I asked him just last week about Rentschler...he told me plans for a 30,000 seat expansion are dine and just awaiting the go ahead from UConn (funding he said is ready to go)... footings are all there and expansion project will be quick since it is all modular.

All true but for the funding part.

Uconnalliance

Reaction Score
All true but for the funding part.
Add it to the red! studdering fuc! Malloy said it was ok he'll blame it on Rowland & Rell,build now it ain't my $$$$$$!

Reaction Score
The plans are ready. I was told the new scoreboard is HD and huge. Just the TV screen alone is what our entire board is now. They have to get rid of the wandering and standing venues. One of the reasons our stands often appear so empty is too many folks not in their seats. That will cease with expansion. The original designer admits to big mistake having so many open portals.

Uconnalliance

Reaction Score
The plans are ready. I was told the new scoreboard is HD and huge. Just the TV screen alone is what our entire board is now. They have to get rid of the wandering and standing venues. One of the reasons our stands often appear so empty is too many folks not in their seats. That will cease with expansion. The original designer admits to big mistake having so many open portals.
Buddy nice having someone like you keeping us informed thanks,i'm alway all eyes when it comes to your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom