Will Paige out play "pick a name" ... Yes, she already has | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will Paige out play "pick a name" ... Yes, she already has

Reaction Score
Another good day at the office today for Hailey and Caitlin Clark.

Reaction Score
Bueckers is on another level from Williams as a freshman. And that isn't a slur on Williams.
Bueckers has not played as a freshman yet so how would you really know? What you might say is that Bueckers was a better player coming out of high school than Williams. You have a standard of comparison there. It is really difficult to gage a players ceiling in todays WCBB scene. Most of them have developed most of their individual skill level already. The only thing they have left is playing as a team, adjusting to the higher level and developing better on court judgement. Frankly I have always felt that people have set too high a standard for Williams based on her being rated the top player of her class and her showing in the McDonalds AA game. If we actually remember there was not real standout number one rated player. A few players changed positions trough out their four years and Williams just ended up on top during the last poll. It wasn't even a strong year.
Well she worked hard and remade her body so perhaps that will give her a higher ceiling.

Reaction Score
Clark is good on offense only if so he she has the ball in her hands. She cannot run a an offense and stands around when she doesn’t have the ball in her hands. She forces a lot. She plays no defense and her body language is not great. It will be interesting to see how she develops. Only two weeks in Pao Pao and Hailey Van Lith are both fair better all around players. Haven‘t really watched the others

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I would expect Paige to see less playtime then some of the other freshman who you want to compare her to. I believe she will average more assists and be a better team leader and all round player then most of the others. The others may score more points then Paige and play more minutes then Paige and and be their team maybe more dependent on them to score however UConn is too good for that. We've seen teams with one dominate player before that the team depended on. LVille a few years ago is one. NC's are won by teams not individual players.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I would expect Paige to see less playtime then some of the other freshman who you want to compare her to. I believe she will average more assists and be a better team leader and all round player then most of the others. The others may score more points then Paige and play more minutes then Paige and and be their team maybe more dependent on them to score however UConn is too good for that. We've seen teams with one dominate player before that the team depended on. LVille a few years ago is one. NC's are won by teams not individual players.

With Evina not at 100% and Nika nursing some nagging injuries, I expect Paige to be getting major minutes (30+) and if she performs as well as I think she will, that will not change.

Reaction Score
Bueckers has not played as a freshman yet so how would you really know? What you might say is that Bueckers was a better player coming out of high school than Williams. You have a standard of comparison there. It is really difficult to gage a players ceiling in todays WCBB scene. Most of them have developed most of their individual skill level already. The only thing they have left is playing as a team, adjusting to the higher level and developing better on court judgement. Frankly I have always felt that people have set too high a standard for Williams based on her being rated the top player of her class and her showing in the McDonalds AA game. If we actually remember there was not real standout number one rated player. A few players changed positions trough out their four years and Williams just ended up on top during the last poll. It wasn't even a strong year.
Well she worked hard and remade her body so perhaps that will give her a higher ceiling.

Go to USA basketball and check out the U18 team. It had college players and Howard was the leading scorer but it was HS junior Bueckers who won the MVP. I've watched her games for about 3 years now and she's the best I ever saw. And it goes beyond her prodigious skills to include her team leadership skills and her competitive attitude.
You obviously haven't seen what I have seen and I understand your reluctance in going overboard over a freshman. I have that attitude about the other freshmen and past classes. Bueckers is just different.

As for Williams I thought I stated that I wasn't criticizing her play. In the McDAA game I thought she was easily the best guard playing. She showed poise and skill while the others were just trying to get as many shots as they could.

Reaction Score
I'm not the only one convinced. Geno has already said that as a HS sophomore she was ahead of where Taurasi was at the same point, that she was the best he ever saw with the ball in her hands and that "when we win the championship next season I'll be telling you it was because of Bueckers.

After all that he now says:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“I’ve always tried to push all of the outside noise away,” Bueckers said. “I mean, it’s a huge blessing and I love all the recognition and everything that I get rewarded for. People have these huge expectations for me and I haven’t played a game yet. There’s just really high expectations, and I feel like there’s pressure put on me to perform and be the reason that UConn is on top again, but I don’t think any of that is true. And coach (Geno Auriemma) tells me that like I don’t need to worry about the pressure and just need to worry about the team, and that’s who I’ve always been.

"I’ve tried not to have doubts when noise gets me good or bad. … Obviously I can’t ignore it, but just push it to the side. I’m really just focused on earning the respect of my teammates, and my coaches, and just coming in, doing the right thing, playing selfless and doing whatever the team needs. And whatever happens, happens."

Reaction Score
Jeff and Hailey will run the table this year and not lose a game as long as Dana Evans stays healthy.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Clark is good on offense only if so he she has the ball in her hands. She cannot run a an offense and stands around when she doesn’t have the ball in her hands. She forces a lot. She plays no defense and her body language is not great.

Really? I haven't had the opportunity to watch her play yet but I find that hard to believe. Her stats also seem to indicate otherwise: almost 6 assists/game, 7 reb/game, 2.5 steals/game. Sure looks like she's doing more than just scoring. Her assist/TO ratio isn't great, that's something she could work on.

Reaction Score
Jeff and Hailey will run the table this year and not lose a game as long as Dana Evans stays healthy.
Louisville will be a fun team to watch for sure but teams with size and good guard play might cause some matchup problems. It will be a test of styles and wills. I don't see many solid post options and of the forwards you have 3 of the 4 are freshmen. I would think UConn, Stanford, Baylor, South Carolina (if they get improved guard play) and Oregon might cause you problems. I would really like their team if they had another reliable experienced post player returning or transferring in.

Reaction Score
Louisville will be a fun team to watch for sure but teams with size and good guard play might cause some matchup problems. It will be a test of styles and wills. I don't see many solid post options and of the forwards you have 3 of the 4 are freshmen. I would think UConn, Stanford, Baylor, South Carolina (if they get improved guard play) and Oregon might cause you problems. I would really like their team if they had another reliable experienced post player returning or transferring in.
I agree. Jade Williams from Duke really exposed Lville in the front court. She just didn't have a lot of help from her teammates. A team with good balance and depth can really challenge Lville.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Clark is good on offense only if so he she has the ball in her hands. She cannot run a an offense and stands around when she doesn’t have the ball in her hands. She forces a lot. She plays no defense and her body language is not great. It will be interesting to see how she develops. Only two weeks in Pao Pao and Hailey Van Lith are both fair better all around players. Haven‘t really watched the others
Really? I haven't had the opportunity to watch her play yet but I find that hard to believe. Her stats also seem to indicate otherwise: almost 6 assists/game, 7 reb/game, 2.5 steals/game. Sure looks like she's doing more than just scoring. Her assist/TO ratio isn't great, that's something she could work on.
OK! For openers I am as skeptical of WBBSUperFan's assertions as is nwhoopfan. WBBSUperFan are you referring to her highschool games? College games? If college games, which ones? I can't find a full game video on any of them. Perhaps you can provide their URLs (links). Not highlights - full game video, highlights only focus on scoring. Apparently the NCAA and the Big 10 (Big 10 Player and Freshman of the Week) disgree with your "observations." Caitlin's stats after 4 games: 28.5 points per game on 50% shooting overall and 36% for 3PT shots, 82% free throws, 5.8 rebounds, 7 assists per game but 5 TO per game, and 2.5 steals per game.
Caitlin Clark as freshman is who made the game winning 3 against Iowa State after trailing by 17 going into the fourth quarter. They won with a 24 to 5 rally.
Highlights of Iowa - Iowa State game

Clark's first college game
Go ahead call her overrated. Reminds me of a Bueckers game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom