Will Geno get more use from the transfer portal? | The Boneyard

Will Geno get more use from the transfer portal?

sun

Reaction Score
Geno wasn't very happy about the effect of the transfer portal on college rosters.
Now that UConn has become a victim of what he had feared, I wonder if he will begin to make more use of it.
If other teams are loading up their rosters with experienced transfer players, which upperclassmen and 5th year players predominate, then how will he be able to avoid it?
He acknowledges that some young players get recruited that aren't as good as expected.
How else can a program make up for it if it doesn't want to wait years for new future recruits to develop?
It's a real catch-22.
And if some schools gain a reputation for being able to draw elite transfer players. then there's only one quick way to level the playing field.
If you can't beat them, then join them.
Without another 2023 recruit, I suspect that Geno will be hunting the transfer portal for a transfer player or two so that he can maximize the opportunity that Paige's college career window represents.
Highly visible players like Paige & Azzi should help attract the pieces of the puzzle that UConn may need to obtain its 12th NC sooner rather than later.
How can he predict Aubrey's recovery and future performance?
How soon will our signed class of 2022 actually be ready for the big time?
How long will covid remain a variable in NCAA sports?
How many injuries can a program sustain in a single season and still remain competitive?
How can Geno quickly improve the roster while giving everyone enough minutes to keep them happy enough to not also want to transfer?
Geno predicted that it would become a new WCBB world.
He helped build it and now he may become a victim of it.

I'm concerned about our centers for next year, if Dorka will return or not, and whether they will all be able to meet the team needs.
One special player can make all of the difference.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Most of your questions seem rhetorical to me, meaning there are no answers, just guesses. I am guessing that Geno would be very selective when it comes to incoming transfers just as he has been in the past.
And I think something that we are learning about highly regarded HS players is that it doesn't always translate into an impact freshman from Day One. Obviously Paige is an exception.

Reaction Score
Some of Geno’s criticisms are valid. The current recruiting situation is problematic. A small group of players are inundated by a large number of schools. The pursuit is relentless. Students can’t take an official visit until too late in the process. There’s a lot that could be changed for the system to support students finding a good fit, and to support coaches finding a good fit

I also think the transfer portal right now is a mess because it’s new. No one knows the best way to use it. Over time, I’m sure it will evolve into a more efficient method for players and coaches to find each other.

Geno will use the transfer portal his own way. He’s picky about players, no matter how they come his way. Other coaches will use it differently. That there are options is good.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Geno wasn't very happy about the effect of the transfer portal on college rosters.
Now that UConn has become a victim of what he had feared, I wonder if he will begin to make more use of it.
If other teams are loading up their rosters with experienced transfer players, which upperclassmen and 5th year players predominate, then how will he be able to avoid it?
He acknowledges that some young players get recruited that aren't as good as expected.
How else can a program make up for it if it doesn't want to wait years for new future recruits to develop?
It's a real catch-22.
And if some schools gain a reputation for being able to draw elite transfer players. then there's only one quick way to level the playing field.
Without another 2023 recruit, I suspect that Geno will be hunting the transfer portal for a transfer player or two so that he can maximize the opportunity that Paige's college career window represents.
Highly visible players like Paige & Azzi should help attract the pieces of the puzzle that UConn may need to obtain its 12th NC sooner rather than later.
How many injuries can a program sustain in a single season and still remain competitive?
How can Geno quickly improve the roster while giving everyone enough minutes to keep them happy enough to not also want to transfer?

I'm concerned about our centers for next year, if Dorka will return or not, and whether they will all be able to meet the team needs.

Geno's landed several high profile transfers. Stevens and Westbrook were arguably the biggest transfers in the off seasons that they left, plus Juhasz was another big get this year (2x First Team All Big Ten). I don't expect that will slow down, especially since he likely only has 10 players projected on the roster next year unless ONO/Williams/Juhasz return.

Looking at next year's roster, assuming everyone is back and healthy besides the 4 seniors, the lineup is probably:
C-Aaliyah Edwards
F-Caroline Ducharme
G/F-Azzi Fudd
G-Paige Bueckers
G-Nika Muhl

Potential Rotation Players:
F-Ayanna Patterson
G/F-Aubrey Griffin
F-Isuneh Brady
F/C-Amari Deberry
C-Piath Gabriel

UCONN needs a quality center, first and foremost, especially if Edwards doesn't revert back to freshman form. Deberry was highly touted but gets 0 playing time right now, I don't see Gabriel getting minutes, and incoming freshmen Patterson/Brady aren't centers.

Another quality shooting guard would be big too. None of the projected bench players are likely going to take shots from the perimeter next year, so depth is needed. At first glance that would be my top priority if I'm Geno, but next season is a ways away and it all depends on who is available in the portal and if they want to come to UCONN.

Reaction Score
It's a real catch-22.

I suggest, with the current transfer a near exception, Geno has not done well in the Transfer portal. If you cannot bring in a player that beings immediately to play and dosen't needs months of learning before producing Uconn would be wasting a slot. Dorka, in near recent history is among the best in producing. Often, even with Recruits they fail the hype test.
Your hopes for a top tier Transfer ring well in my ears. I too would like to fill some voids with experience, scoring leader, basketball players. Something along the line of KML, or Stewie, or even DT. They'd probably work out at Uconn.

Reaction Score
Geno's landed several high profile transfers. Stevens and Westbrook were arguably the biggest transfers in the off seasons that they left, plus Juhasz was another big get this year (2x First Team All Big Ten). I don't expect that will slow down, especially since he likely only has 10 players projected on the roster next year unless ONO/Williams/Juhasz return.

Looking at next year's roster, assuming everyone is back and healthy besides the 4 seniors, the lineup is probably:
C-Aaliyah Edwards
F-Caroline Ducharme
G/F-Azzi Fudd
G-Paige Bueckers
G-Nika Muhl

F-Ayanna Patterson
G/F-Aubrey Griffin
F-Isuneh Brady
F/C-Amari Deberry
C-Piath Gabriel

UCONN needs a quality center, first and foremost, especially if Edwards doesn't revert back to freshman form. Deberry was highly touted but gets 0 playing time right now, I don't see Gabriel getting minutes, and incoming freshmen Patterson/Brady aren't centers.

Another quality shooting guard would be big too. None of the projected bench players are likely going to take shots from the perimeter next year, so depth is needed. At first glance that would be my top priority if I'm Geno, but next season is a ways away and it all depends on who is available in the portal and if they want to come to UCONN.
I think you need to add Ice and subtract Nika.......

Reactions: PvP
Reaction Score

C-Aaliyah Edwards
F-Caroline Ducharme
G/F-Azzi Fudd
G-Paige Bueckers
G-Nika Muhl

F-Ayanna Patterson
G/F-Aubrey Griffin
F-Isuneh Brady
F/C-Amari Deberry
C-Piath Gabriel

Why not add a point guard? No subs on the rotation player list that could run the team in the event of an injury.

Reaction Score

C-Aaliyah Edwards
F-Caroline Ducharme
G/F-Azzi Fudd
G-Paige Bueckers
G-Nika Muhl

F-Ayanna Patterson
G/F-Aubrey Griffin
F-Isuneh Brady
F/C-Amari Deberry
C-Piath Gabriel

With this group of starters you have 4 guards and 1 big, but for the other potential rotation players, all bigs since Aubrey plays like a 4. For that reason I think the far bigger need is a 2/3 guard. Nika can back up Paige and we have plenty of bigs, but nobody to back up the presumed starters of Azzi and Caroline.

Rice could have filled that role but we didn't get her, and a grad transfer or senior for one year to backup two positions would be a good fit. I also think Dorka is coming back, but if she doesn't one from Amari or Ice or Piath will have to step up.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that this has probably been discussed in numerous threads in the past year, but is it a rule that incoming transfers are immediately eligible or was that a 1 year only deal?

Reaction Score
They absolutely need another guard next year, but preferably for only one season. A grad transfer would be perfect, unless Evina elects to stay, which is highly doubtful.

Reaction Score
I think they definitely add a guard from the portal seeing as though we lose both E and CW. Dorka has said she intends to stay when she transferred in so until notified otherwise I think we will be ok in the post with what we have coming in/back. I do think our interior defense takes a hit without ONO regardless of what happens as well as I’m not sure we can necessarily replace that with anyone currently playing in college.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Neither Liv nor Dorka are true 5s.

You know Geno signed the #4 ranked player, 6-2 wing Ayanna Patterson, and #5 ranked Isuneh Brady, a 6-3 forward, right? They’ll be freshmen in November. And Aaliyah, AMari, and Piath are coming back

Reaction Score
Neither Liv nor Dorka are true 5s.

You know Geno signed the #4 ranked player, 6-2 wing Ayanna Patterson, and #5 ranked Isuneh Brady, a 6-3 forward, right? They’ll be freshmen in November. And Aaliyah, AMari, and Piath are coming back
Piath is looking like she can get significant minutes playing center next year, but who backs her up? I don't consider Edwards to be a true center. She's more like a 4. AMari is getting zero minutes right now so who knows how she fits in next year. Everyone else appears to be a 4. I'll feel a little bit better if Dorka does come back, but she's another 4. If Geno can get another quality, experienced, true center from the portal he needs to grab her. Lotsa luck finding that...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Piath is looking like she can get significant minutes playing center next year, but who backs her up? I don't consider Edwards to be a true center. She's more like a 4. AMari is getting zero minutes right now so who knows how she fits in next year. Everyone else appears to be a 4. I'll feel a little bit better if Dorka does come back, but she's another 4. If Geno can get another quality, experienced, true center from the portal he needs to grab her. Lotsa luck finding that...
When is the last time Geno had a true, back to the basket center?

He prefers versatile players that can play multiple positions. Having a true 5 is not a must-have for the Huskies

Reaction Score
Nan, you make a good point. True centers (Kara, Tina , Stef, etc.) have been few and far between. But, wouldn't be nice to have the versatile players and a true center?

Reaction Score
I have always believed that the the present standards for transfers is not in the best interests of either the college programs nor the players. They have gone from one extreme ( too hard ) to ( to easy ). It especially hinders a program run like Geno runs his. He was not stupid, he knew it would hurt him more than help him. Many of you are still looking at all things " UConn Basketball " though perpetual rose colored glasses. Geno's reputation for using a short roster works against transfers. They know that when the injured players return next season they might be relegated to the bench. The things that formally were a draw for players to UConn are not a high priority for the majority of players today. And the draw about at least one guaranteed Natty has not happened for quite a while. Parity has seen to that and is becoming more of an influence each progressive season.

PvP

Reaction Score
I think you need to add Ice and subtract Nika.......
I definitely agree and that also points out a crying need for another point guard. Nika is too much of a bull in a china shop and, as several here have pointed out, she seems to have an aversion to passing to Caroline which could become a major chemistry issue.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that this has probably been discussed in numerous threads in the past year, but is it a rule that incoming transfers are immediately eligible or was that a 1 year only deal?
I believe that I found out the answer, doh! Saylor is eligible at Arkansas, Mir at Virginia and the player that just transferred from Florida to Maryland is eligible this fall. :confused:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I think Piath can develop into a rim protector. Whether she can master the footwork, positioning, and angles to be a top notch post defender remains to be seen.

I'm in the camp of thinking the greatest need from the portal is a grad-transfer point guard who is a shutdown defender.

Reaction Score
I definitely agree and that also points out a crying need for another point guard. Nika is too much of a bull in a china shop and, as several here have pointed out, she seems to have an aversion to passing to Caroline which could become a major chemistry issue.
I do believe that Nika is and will continue to adapt. Remember, this is only her second year of playing ball in the States.
European ball is markedly different and much more physical than our brand.
Smart and tough individual. She should get plenty of court time from here on out.
Expecting upward trajectory.

Reaction Score
I would vote for a transfer at the # 5 position , a true post player,
defender, rebounder, with 5 extra fouls to give.
Dorka continues to develope into the # 4 that
I think she will be in the WNBA. Nika will continue
to improve with Paige and Azzi and Caroline providing
the 3 point threat. Everyone else comes back
healthy with a sophomore or junior jump. Aubrey
returns to her healthy , exciting form. GO HUSKIES!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When is the last time Geno had a true, back to the basket center?

He prefers versatile players that can play multiple positions. Having a true 5 is not a must-have for the Huskies
Geno to my recollection, was prescient in this. The rest of college and pro ball seems to have come to the same conclusion.

Reaction Score
If it's their first time in the portal they are immediately eligible. If they enter a second time, then they need to wait a year. Graduate transfers are immediately eligible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom