Will Geno get more use from the transfer portal? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will Geno get more use from the transfer portal?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If it's their first time in the portal they are immediately eligible. If they enter a second time, then they need to wait a year. Graduate transfers are immediately eligible.
Plus, I believe any player on a roster for 2020-21 gets an extra year for the Covid extension.

Reaction Score
Geno's landed several high profile transfers. Stevens and Westbrook were arguably the biggest transfers in the off seasons that they left, plus Juhasz was another big get this year (2x First Team All Big Ten). I don't expect that will slow down, especially since he likely only has 10 players projected on the roster next year unless ONO/Williams/Juhasz return.

Looking at next year's roster, assuming everyone is back and healthy besides the 4 seniors, the lineup is probably:
C-Aaliyah Edwards
F-Caroline Ducharme
G/F-Azzi Fudd
G-Paige Bueckers
G-Nika Muhl

Potential Rotation Players:
F-Ayanna Patterson
G/F-Aubrey Griffin
F-Isuneh Brady
F/C-Amari Deberry
C-Piath Gabriel

UCONN needs a quality center, first and foremost, especially if Edwards doesn't revert back to freshman form. Deberry was highly touted but gets 0 playing time right now, I don't see Gabriel getting minutes, and incoming freshmen Patterson/Brady aren't centers.

Another quality shooting guard would be big too. None of the projected bench players are likely going to take shots from the perimeter next year, so depth is needed. At first glance that would be my top priority if I'm Geno, but next season is a ways away and it all depends on who is available in the portal and if they want to come to UCONN.
The way I see it, DeBarry could have a massive sophomore leap. She oozes potential from the high post as a facilitator, she has good form on her shot, and she is highly skilled. I know it was only one basket against GA Tech in the first half, but that catch, turn over her right shoulder and finish with the left hand, sealed the deal for me that she is going to be good; very good. The reason she doesn't play now is because our frontcourt is the only consistent rotation we've had all season. With a team that's struggling, you don't really want to interrupt what little consistency it has as far as rotations go.

I think her at the high post and Alliyah and Ice on the block, could be a thing of beauty.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The way I see it, DeBarry could have a massive sophomore leap. She oozes potential from the high post as a facilitator, she has good form on her shot, and she is highly skilled. I know it was only one basket against GA Tech in the first half, but that catch, turn over her right shoulder and finish with the left hand, sealed the deal for me that she is going to be good; very good. The reason she doesn't play now is because our frontcourt is the only consistent rotation we've had all season. With a team that's struggling, you don't really want to interrupt what little consistency it has as far as rotations go.

I think her at the high post and Alliyah and Ice on the block, could be a thing of beauty.
She could make the leap, but I'd think she'd get at least some playing time as a freshman. She's played in just 6 games this year. For comparison, she's getting fewer minutes than both Kyla Irwin or Molly Bent got as freshmen in 2016-17.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
She could make the leap, but I'd think she'd get at least some playing time as a freshman. She's played in just 6 games this year. For comparison, she's getting fewer minutes than both Kyla Irwin or Molly Bent got as freshmen in 2016-17.
Kyla and Molly had a lot more blow out games in which to participate. I too, am looking for Amari to be the most improved player on the team next year and to provide several posters with the opportunity to try her recipe for crow. :p

Reaction Score
I think you need to add Ice and subtract Nika.......
I agree she brings a shot from the elbow that we have been lacking and she is strong down low. She also is a good passer. If it does't start that way I think it will end up with Ice in the starting lineup. This way we would have 4 consistent shooters from the outside. Aubrey and Nika will be first off the bench for energy and defense. This considers Dorka going to the WNBA

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I agree she brings a shot from the elbow that we have been lacking and she is strong down low. She also is a good passer. If it does't start that way I think it will end up with Ice in the starting lineup. This way we would have 4 consistent shooters from the outside. Aubrey and Nika will be first off the bench for energy and defense. This considers Dorka going to the WNBA
I really like Dorka but to date she has been too inconsistent to be a high draft pick. Unless she is consistently close to a double-double from here on out, I have to believe she will be back and as the featured big on the team. It's my feeling now that Dorka and Aaliyah will be the big starters and Amari is the first big off the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom