Will B12 Add UConn This Week? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Will B12 Add UConn This Week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
Texas A&M, Missouri, Colorado, Nebraska have all managed to leave the B12. UConn could too, if a B1G opportunity presented itself.

Reaction Score
How many more years do we collect extra revenue for the teams that left the big east? And what's the real payout. Would we still have tier 2 rights to sell to SNY?
...the AAC pays $2 million the ACC pays $22 million. .

Reaction Score
I understand UConn wants P5 money.
I understand UConn wants P5 respect.
I understand (at least this seems to be the case) most UConn fans hate the ACC, and not without good reason.

Yet are not most of your traditional rivals in New England and the Eastern seaboard? Rutgers and Maryland are gone (but can be scheduled non-conference). I know at present the ACC is not calling, and if they did it would be a bitter pill to swallow (yet you would swallow it!). But is that not where UConn actually belongs? Academically? Geographically?

Traditional rivalries still matter. Re: football…

UM v OSU (started 1897) 100+ games
OU v OSU (started 1904) 100+ games
USC v UCLA (started 1929) 80+ games
Army v Navy (started 1890) 100+ games

Other than cashing big checks and P5 status, what in the world does UConn have in common with Texas? Oklahoma? Baylor? Etc.

And if you jump conferences often enough the word ‘carpetbagger’ will come to mind.

Will the B1G or ACC offer if it is apparent you are simply looking for the largest check available, status, and not a true affiliation.

I’m not trying to piss anyone off. I am simply asking a question.

Reaction Score
I understand (at least this seems to be the case) most UConn fans hate the ACC, and not without good reason.

Yet are not most of your traditional rivals in New England and the Eastern seaboard? Rutgers and Maryland are gone (but can be scheduled non-conference). I know at present the ACC is not calling, and if they did it would be a bitter pill to swallow (yet you would swallow it!). But is that not where UConn actually belongs? Academically? Geographically?

Other than cashing big checks and P5 status, what in the world does UConn have in common with Texas? Oklahoma? Baylor? Etc.

And if you jump conferences often enough the word ‘carpetbagger’ will come to mind.

Will the B1G or ACC offer if it is apparent you are simply looking for the largest check available, status, and not a true affiliation.

In a perfect world..yes UConn belongs in the ACC...that's also where Rutgers and Maryland belong too. But P-5 CR moves (and Blumenthal) have dictated UConn's present position in the American. If the B-12 offer's a spot to UConn, they need to take it and run. The ACC has already had a shot 3x and they passed..that ship has long since sailed!

Reaction Score

Troll Alert....

Carpetbagger??? Why would UConn cares what others call us? So UConn should just sit on the sideline and die since it did not get invited to the ACC? P5 is life and death for UConn's athletic future. UConn did not ask for this but this is the world we are in now.

Seriously....you are trying to piss people off

Reaction Score
UConn takes the first hard P5 offer on the table. UConn can always work toward an alternate P5 offer from within an existing P5 conference.

My how times and attitudes have changed. I recall that this kind of thinking, ie ...working toward another league offer from within an existing league... could have generated lots of animosity and even a lawsuit toward a school acting in this manner. But... it does sort of put things now in its proper perspective as to the self interests that all schools must operate under.

Reaction Score

In the world of conference realignment where money trumps all, some schools get blackballed while others who a) provide nothing and/or b) who actions would make the mob blush, I would call UConn a survivor if we make it into a P5/4 conference.

Reaction Score
My how times and attitudes have changed. I recall that this kind of thinking, ie ...working toward another league offer from within an existing league... could have generated lots of animosity and even a lawsuit toward a school acting in this manner. But... it does sort of put things now in its proper perspective as to the self interests that all schools must operate under.

At least UConn did not to blackball their long-time conference mates from getting into a conference to protect a private, religious college's self-inflated view of being the 'only' major university of New England, which by the way, is not a state.

Reaction Score

A very weak attempt. Are you ill?

Why is BC so afraid of UConn.

We all know.

Reaction Score

Yes Yawkey Way, times have indeed changed:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...-yawkey-way/5onMIw3vE6cNAyeZXs9NAN/story.html

Please refer to my signature (below) if you need further clarification.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score

Why don't you just go enjoy your 0-fer seasons and take the snide comments to your own board. That's right, no one is there.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the mostly kind feedback. Knew I wasn't going to get a bunch of 'likes' for asking.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

There's a difference between being first off the boat (and initiating the Big Bang that caused all of this) and last off the boat.

Reaction Score
I don't see the question. Is the question, would UConn join the ACC? Of course.
If the question is, which conference would UConn prefer to join, then the answer is:

1. B1G
2. ACC
3. B12

Okay, then the question is why not the ACC over the B1G, given the geographic and historic 'fit'? (Obviously B12 would be third.) Is it simply a matter of animosity regarding previous treatment by ACC member schools? That would be reason enough. Or is it the general consensus UConn - given it's location, size, academics, etc., works better in the B1G? (I'm trying to be real delicate about how I ask these questions. This is a great board and really enjoy reading it. Certainly not trying to aggravate readers.)

pj

Reaction Score

We wanted an affiliation with the ACC. Then we realized that the ACC was riven by politics and cultural divisions; that the divisions between public/private, football/basketball, southern/northern all seemed to work against UConn, such that a significant number of ACC schools were hostile to us. In other words, the ACC has demonstrated that they don't desire a true affiliation, and that if they came back to offer us a spot, it would be for the money we bring a potential ACCN. They would be simply looking for the largest check available.

Now, you don't have to love all the people you do business deals with, and we could do a deal with the ACC. But we could be just as happy doing a deal with the B12.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Okay, then the question is why not the ACC over the B1G, given the geographic and historic 'fit'? (Obviously B12 would be third.) Is it simply a matter of animosity regarding previous treatment by ACC member schools? That would be reason enough. Or is it the general consensus UConn - given it's location, size, academics, etc., works better in the B1G? (I'm trying to be real delicate about how I ask these questions. This is a great board and really enjoy reading it. Certainly not trying to aggravate readers.)

Because the B1G is the biggest player in the game. They're the most stable. They're the number one conference in each state in their footprint. All schools are public land-grants, minus Northwestern. There's a few of my reasons.

pj

Reaction Score

Culturally, UConn is more similar, at the moment, to the ACC public schools; but its future may be more like a B1G school -- at least it seems to aspire toward that model. UConn is expanding its student count and building its research. The B1G is not just an athletic conference, it promotes academic cooperation and joint research.

Moreover, with the ACC moving west to Louisville and Notre Dame, after its earlier move south, it is at least as far flung and distant from UConn as the B1G.

Nor is the history with ACC schools so long that it can't be reproduced with new rivals. UConn joined Big East in basketball in 1979 and in football in 2003; and the ACC has only a few of those teams -- Syracuse and Pitt primarily. It's not like we would be losing 100-year rivalries.

Reaction Score
I really hope the B12 invites us.

With that said, how many years until the B12 just splits? The Longhorns won't give up that Longhorn Network and Oklahoma really wants to leave. If The B12 does split, where would we go? I have a feeling if we join the B12, the B12 splits and the other Power conferences raid only schools like Iowa, Oklahoma, Baylor, etc. That leaves us right where we left off.

Reaction Score
I really hope the B12 invites us.

With that said, how many years until the B12 just splits? The Longhorns won't give up that Longhorn Network and Oklahoma really wants to leave. If The B12 does split, where would we go? I have a feeling if we join the B12, the B12 splits and the other Power conferences raid only schools like Iowa, Oklahoma, Baylor, etc. That leaves us right where we left off.

I'm not understanding your premise. We won't be invited to join the Big 12 unless Texas gives up their network and the Big 12 forms their own network. Hopefully that is enough to keep Oklahoma.

So if you don't believe that Texas will give up their network, you don't have to worry about what will happen when UConn is in the Big 12, because we won't be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

In all respects, the B1G is better. I can't see the geographic argument at all. There are 3 northeast ACC schools and 3 northeast B1G schools.

But the B1G is on TV more than the ACC, they make twice the money, and it is filled with land grant state schools.

Reaction Score
I think it just depends on how you look at it.

The B1G I feel is the best fit. I think we bring the most to that conference, I think there's plenty of traction for new rivalries, etc. I think from a 360 degree look at things it's the best place for us to land. They've also classified us as P5 anyway and we have histories with Michigan State, Ohio State, Maryland and the like.

The ACC I'd like to see just from a cool factor. I'm speaking solely as a fan here... I'd love to get rivalries with Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville going again. They could break that conference into two divisions and essentially have the old ACC and and Big East and her bastard kids...

-Syracuse, UConn, Boston College, Pitt, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Miami, Louisville

-Duke, UNC, Georgia Tech, NC State, Florida State, Clemson, Virginia. Wake Forest.

I'd love the idea of a staggered schedule where we're home vs. UNC one year while at Duke and then flip flopping it then next year. I've got no basis for any of this economically. Just would love to see it. We get 'Cuse back on the schedule, Pitt back on the schedule and then Louisville back.

The Big 12 isn't a fit i'm wild about at all, but I'd rather be there than in the AAC long term. We play Texas annually, Kansas would be an awesome add on the schedule each year.. I'd be fine with it. Not doing back flips, but fine with it.

In the meantime, I wish the AAC would stop farting around and just go hardcore Island of misfit toys and add UNLV, BYU, etc. duck it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom