Wildcat Stats from UMASS game | The Boneyard

Wildcat Stats from UMASS game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Wildcat is being debated. Here are the stats, 4.3 yards per run and 1 pass for 33 yards. Not so bad if you ask me....and NC State now has to spend time preparing for this and the kitchen sink. Kudos to the Wildcat.

Play # Drive # QB Description Yardage.
2 1 McCummings Nick Williams run 15
5 1 McCummings McCombs run 3
9 1 McCummings McCummings run 2
11 1 McCummings Nick Williams run 10
12 1 McCummings McCombs TD 1
14 2 McCummings Nick Williams run 0
17 3 McCummings McCombs run 11
18 3 McCummings McCummings run -2
24 3 McCummings McCummings run 5
30 4 McCummings McCummings run 4
34 5 McCummings McCombs run 8
41 6 McCummings McCombs run 2
44 6 McCummings McCummings run 3
45 6 McCummings McCombs Fumble at two yard line 0
49 7 McCummings McCombs run 7
50 7 McCummings Hypolite run 0
56 8 McCummings McCummings run 2
60 9 McCummings Razzle Dazzle, Whitmer completion to Griffin 33
62 9 McCummings McCummings run td 2

17 RUN PLAYS 73 Yards 4.294117647
1 Pass Completion 33

Reaction Score
You can't just go off stats when discussing the wildcat, as it can have an effect on the traditional set over the course of a game.

Reaction Score
You can't just go off stats when discussing the wildcat, as it can have an effect on the traditional set over the course of a game.

It also really confuses the hell out of Rutgers...and it is apparent the struggle to understand continues.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Very helpful to see this. I was wondering how we did out of the Wildcat versus the "regular" formation. I think others have said it before - not sure we get the larger gains on the edges against a faster defense. Those comprised the vast majority of our gains in the running part (certainly the first gain by Williams).

The pass play took too long to develop in my opinion but was interesting to see at least. I highly doubt we run that play again this season but who knows? The fake handoff, fake run and throw to the TE down the seam was pretty effective on the few times we ran it last year. I still expect NC State to be prepared for that regardless of what we ran yesterday.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I think his overall point is valid though. It is effective at times, and NC State should not overlook it- particularly if we ever mix it up 50/50 run/pass in the formation.

Reaction Score
Running plays with Whitmer as QB. 2.6 yards per carry. The regular offense needs more MAX D! BTW I left out the McEntee garbage time stats.

1 1 Whitmer R McCombs run 5
3 1 Whitmer R McCombs run 3
8 1 Whitmer R McCombs run 3
13 2 Whitmer R McCombs run -2
16 3 Whitmer R McCombs run 3
21 3 Whitmer R McCombs run 3
26 3 Whitmer R McCombs run 2
28 4 Whitmer R McCombs run 0
36 5 Whitmer R McCombs run 3
39 6 Whitmer R McCombs run 3
43 6 Whitmer R McCombs run 4
46 7 Whitmer R McCombs run -2
57 8 Whitmer R McCombs run 3
59 9 Whitmer R McCombs run 3
61 9 Whitmer R McCombs run 8

15 for 39 Yards 2.6

Reaction Score
Talk to us after the NCState game. . . real D1 players, maybe Top 25, power conference school. We can only hope that the gimmic works on them too.

Reaction Score
Very helpful to see this. I was wondering how we did out of the Wildcat versus the "regular" formation. I think others have said it before - not sure we get the larger gains on the edges against a faster defense. Those comprised the vast majority of our gains in the running part (certainly the first gain by Williams).

The pass play took too long to develop in my opinion but was interesting to see at least. I highly doubt we run that play again this season but who knows? The fake handoff, fake run and throw to the TE down the seam was pretty effective on the few times we ran it last year. I still expect NC State to be prepared for that regardless of what we ran yesterday.

i agree. hopefully that play was just to give NCSTate something to think about and plan for. it took too long to develop and could have just as easily been an INT

Reaction Score
I think most here are fine with the wildcat. The debate is over how much it was used last night.

FWIW.........I don't think it's a huge deal. The first half was pretty much scripted anyway. If we see the wildcat put in as sporadically next weekend and the OL being rotated as much as it was, I will much more annoyed.

Reaction Score

I think the point of that play, was that Whitmer was on the field for it. If I get the energy, I'll describe what I think this whole package does to opposing defenses, that have only so many hours per week that they can work with their teams to prepare.

The bottom line goal, is that for every extra thing, and decision that a defense needs to make during the course of a game, that's a split second that they're not getting geared up to play fast. We saw what a defense that's playing fast can do last night. Until we get our offensive front settled and playing at a high level, we need every bit of edge we can get in slowing down a defense - McCummings package is what that does. It slows down a defense, from the guys upstairs all the way through the system to the guys on the field.

In the NFL, football is 24/7. A wildcat, jet motion, kind of set becomes gimmicky, because there are no limits on practice and prep time during the week, like there are in college, with students, and not professional players.

I would get used to it folks, it's going to be with us. The key - is finding the balance, in where you're not disrupting your own momentum on offense by using it. that's what everybody, I think, is really worked up about - is the change of pace detrimental to our own team?

Well, if you look at the results of last year, where without it, who knows if we can even win 5 games........and so far this year.......the evidence would seem to indicate that it's not detrimental to our own team.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My problem with the 'Cat is that there were a couple of times where Whitmer went to the bench right after making a good play. Then we get a short gain and he comes back in. Feels like it kills the momentum.

Reaction Score
My problem with the 'Cat is that there were a couple of times where Whitmer went to the bench right after making a good play. Then we get a short gain and he comes back in. Feels like it kills the momentum.

But is that change of pace you're perceiving really detrimental to the offense? I think that 13 games in, the evidence is pretty clear that it's not detrimental to the offense at all.

Reaction Score

These are the drives that did not end in a TD. There were a variety of things that killed our drives.
Drive 3 was an Osiecki drop that would have been a first down. 4 was a McCombs drop that would have been a first down. 5 was the drive that whitmer threw the ball deep to Phillips twice. There was a tripping penalty picked up, the second pass should have been thrown to a wide open RB in the flat. P reamed Whitmer after that drive. 6 was the McCombs fumble at the goaline. 7 was the Whitmer INT. If there was a drive where the Wildcat may have hurt Whitmer it was drive 7

Drive # QB Description Yardage.

2 Whitmer McCombs run -2
2 McCummings Nick Williams run 0
2 Whitmer Interception, could have thrown 5 yard pass to set up FG 0
3 Whitmer McCombs run 3
3 McCummings McCombs run 11
3 McCummings McCummings run -2
3 Whitmer Completion to Smith 10
3 Whitmer Completion to Smith 7
3 Whitmer McCombs run 3
3 Whitmer Incompletion 0
3 Whitmer Comletion to McCombs 12
3 McCummings McCummings run 5
3 Whitmer Holding on Griffin Negates 21 yard McCombs run 0
3 Whitmer McCombs run 2
3 Whitmer Pass to Osiecki dropped, Would have been 1st down 0
4 Whitmer McCombs run 0
4 Whitmer Completion to Davis 13
4 McCummings McCummings run 4
4 Whitmer incompletion 0
4 Whitmer McCombs drop, would have been first down 0
5 Whitmer incompletion 0
5 McCummings McCombs run 8
5 Whitmer Completion to Smith 15
5 Whitmer McCombs run 3
5 Whitmer Incompletion receiver tripped up penalty thrown but picked up 0
5 Whitmer Incompletion Ignored wide open RB in flat for first down. 0
6 Whitmer McCombs run 3
6 Whitmer Completion to Davis 26
6 McCummings McCombs run 2
6 Whitmer Completion to Davis 18
6 Whitmer McCombs run 4
6 McCummings McCummings run 3
6 McCummings McCombs Fumble at two yard line 0
7 Whitmer McCombs run -2
7 Whitmer Completion to Phillips 6
7 Whitmer Completion to Phillips 14
7 McCummings McCombs run 7
7 McCummings Hypolite run 0
7 Whitmer Interception 0
8 Whitmer Holding Penalty on Delahunt -10
8 Whitmer Completion to McCombs 12
8 Whitmer Dropped by Griffin Low pass 0
8 Whitmer Completion to Davis 16
8 McCummings McCummings run 2
8 Whitmer McCombs run 3
8 Whitmer Whitmer desparate scramble 1

Reaction Score
We just need to bump the pass plays up to 30 percent and keep whitmer on the field in many of the formations.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
So what I see there is that the two picks were thrown when Whitmer comes back into the game immediately after the Wildcat was used.

To be fair, he also had a couple nice completions when following the Wildcat. Either he needs to adjust and be ready for the in and out, especially on the next play, or we need to scrap it to only some goal line situations.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I think the point of that play, was that Whitmer was on the field for it. If I get the energy, I'll describe what I think this whole package does to opposing defenses, that have only so many hours per week that they can work with their teams to prepare.

The bottom line goal, is that for every extra thing, and decision that a defense needs to make during the course of a game, that's a split second that they're not getting geared up to play fast. We saw what a defense that's playing fast can do last night. Until we get our offensive front settled and playing at a high level, we need every bit of edge we can get in slowing down a defense - McCummings package is what that does. It slows down a defense, from the guys upstairs all the way through the system to the guys on the field.

In the NFL, football is 24/7. A wildcat, jet motion, kind of set becomes gimmicky, because there are no limits on practice and prep time during the week, like there are in college, with students, and not professional players.

I would get used to it folks, it's going to be with us. The key - is finding the balance, in where you're not disrupting your own momentum on offense by using it. that's what everybody, I think, is really worked up about - is the change of pace detrimental to our own team?

Well, if you look at the results of last year, where without it, who knows if we can even win 5 games........and so far this year.......the evidence would seem to indicate that it's not detrimental to our own team.

Carl, I understand what you're saying but to a certain extent, doesn't the same apply in reverse? Doesn't our offense need to practice this play and others like it to make sure that when we execute it, it isn't a complete disaster? I understand that you don't practice it every week since it might not be in that week's game plan and the opposing defense won't know that, but it still distracts from the primary offense I would think.

Regardless, I agree that the wildcat isn't going anywhere. I just wish we were more focused on executing our basic offense first.

Reaction Score
The Wildcat is being debated. Here are the stats, 4.3 yards per run and 1 pass for 33 yards. Not so bad if you ask me....and NC State now has to spend time preparing for this and the kitchen sink. Kudos to the Wildcat.

2 1 McCummings Nick Williams run 15
5 1 McCummings McCombs run 3
9 1 McCummings McCummings run 2
11 1 McCummings Nick Williams run 10
12 1 McCummings McCombs TD 1
14 2 McCummings Nick Williams run 0
17 3 McCummings McCombs run 11
18 3 McCummings McCummings run -2
24 3 McCummings McCummings run 5
30 4 McCummings McCummings run 4
34 5 McCummings McCombs run 8
41 6 McCummings McCombs run 2
44 6 McCummings McCummings run 3
45 6 McCummings McCombs Fumble at two yard line 0
49 7 McCummings McCombs run 7
50 7 McCummings Hypolite run 0
56 8 McCummings McCummings run 2
60 9 McCummings Razzle Dazzle, Whitmer completion to Griffin 33
62 9 McCummings McCummings run td 2

17 RUN PLAYS 73 Yards 4.294117647
1 Pass Completion 33

Great post and thank you for doing the work. It did appear that McCombs was much more effective from the wildcat than out of it.

Reaction Score
i agree. hopefully that play was just to give NCSTate something to think about and plan for. it took too long to develop and could have just as easily been an INT

Among other issues with that play, it wasn't clear to me why McCummings pattern took him to where Griffin was catching the ball.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
These are the drives that did not end in a TD. There were a variety of things that killed our drives.

Thank you for doing the research that verifies my initial impression, that the Wildcat being used after a nice Whitmer pass killed momentum. You posted 7 drives where UConn did not score a touchdown. In five of those drives, a gain of 10 yards or more resulted in Whitmer heading to the bench. To take it a step further, when Whitmer came back to the field in those five instances, only once was the result a decent gain. Add to this the previously mentioned fact that both his picks came after the Wildcat and you have to wonder if it's worth the trouble. I'm not saying discard it, but we have a D-1 QB now and we don't need the gimmicks like we did last year. The fact is, when we are in the Wildcat, our best asset on O is off the field.

Reaction Score
Carl, I understand what you're saying but to a certain extent, doesn't the same apply in reverse? Doesn't our offense need to practice this play and others like it to make sure that when we execute it, it isn't a complete disaster? I understand that you don't practice it every week since it might not be in that week's game plan and the opposing defense won't know that, but it still distracts from the primary offense I would think.

Regardless, I agree that the wildcat isn't going anywhere. I just wish we were more focused on executing our basic offense first.

I think you have to ask if the development of our quarterbacks and receivers and backs and OL has in any way been going backwards, or plateau'd. I don't think so, I think we've seen consistent improvement in all of those things through 13 games, so it's hard to argue that it's hampering the development of the rest of the offense, by practicing it.

WHen the pro-set offense really starts clicking? Then you've got a really good point. WE're not there yet, the majority of our success on offense through 13 games, has been based on that offensive set.

Reaction Score
What about the fact that the PA guy announcing that "Whitmer is at wide receiver". Am I the only person to find that ridiculous?

He did? I didn't hear it. I tune out that kind of stuff.

Reaction Score
Thank you for doing the research that verifies my initial impression, that the Wildcat being used after a nice Whitmer pass killed momentum. You posted 7 drives where UConn did not score a touchdown. In five of those drives, a gain of 10 yards or more resulted in Whitmer heading to the bench. To take it a step further, when Whitmer came back to the field in those five instances, only once was the result a decent gain. Add to this the previously mentioned fact that both his picks came after the Wildcat and you have to wonder if it's worth the trouble. I'm not saying discard it, but we have a D-1 QB now and we don't need the gimmicks like we did last year. The fact is, when we are in the Wildcat, our best asset on O is off the field.

WHitmer hasn't proved himself to be our best asset on O yet. He proved we can take the sticker off the helmet and stop calling him Charlie Whitman. But let me get this - you're saying that Whitmer can't play well, after coming back on the field after McCummings goes out?

Clearly, we're all going to disagree. I had a long thing typed out - but never mind.

I think the wildcat is an effective offense, and should be a part of the offensive game plan.

Reaction Score
I am mostly concerned about the ball control with the wildcat. The snaps are erratic. McCummings is always juggling the ball around and sometimes he loses it. I have not seen that get any better. Even when he scored it looked like the ball was a hair away from getting knocked out. It always seems like Every time he is in the game I'm thinking "please don't fumble it". 5 good wildcat plays in a row mean nothing to me if the 6th is a botched exchange for a fumble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom