Wildcat experiment meets ignominious end- McCummings moved to WR per Jim Fuller | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wildcat experiment meets ignominious end- McCummings moved to WR per Jim Fuller

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Article said more than a few guy came into camp out of shape, not a good sign. I think some of that has to be on the coach. Everyone leaves spring ball with the message that if you show up out of shape, you'll be on the bench or the scout team. There will always be a few, but if it is a significant amount...

Good news is that it said the big guys came in in good shape.

C

Chief00

McCummings unfairly had the dismal failure of the Wildcat associated with him when Coach D's predictable play calling and tendencies spelled it's doom. If he gets in shape getting Scott on the field will be good. He is one of the few good athletes on the team.

Reaction Score
McCummings unfairly had the dismal failure of the Wildcat associated with him when Coach D's predictable play calling and tendencies spelled it's doom. If he gets in shape getting Scott on the field will be good. He is one of the few good athletes on the team.

Do you really mean to say UConn only has a few good athletes on this football team? If that is the case, I would love to hear who those few are.

Reaction Score
I could see Scott McCummings as a good blocking wideout who can give time and room for a guy like Foxx to wiggle. I hope he gets to see some receiving action before his time is done at UConn. He is a shifty guy and one who can carry a guy or two. Good luck to him and I hope he keeps his head up and demonstrates the leadership skills I know he has.

Reaction Score
He is one of the few good athletes on the team.

I can only assume that this perception persists because our recruiting classes are never highly ranked. But, the fact is, this program continues to produce very good athletes. The last NFL draft certainly supports that.

As for McCummings, I agree that he is a very good athlete and the wildcat last season was a complete and utter cluster duckk. With that said, if he's really 257 pounds that probably means he came to camp grossly out of shape which raises serious doubt in my mind as to whether his head is in this. Frankly, if I were his coach and he came in that big he'd still be running and be somewhere on the depth chart with the walk-ons. He should be very thankful the former head coach of this program moved elsewhere.

C

Chief00

There are few known play makers on offense. In fact, I have difficulties thinking of one, perhaps Davis?

Reaction Score
Article said more than a few guy came into camp out of shape, not a good sign. I think some of that has to be on the coach. Everyone leaves spring ball with the message that if you show up out of shape, you'll be on the bench or the scout team. There will always be a few, but if it is a significant amount...

100 percent disagree. Watch the football video sny did on the huskies. The end of the video before the spring game he makes it clear they need to work during the off season. Something to the effect of you don't belong in division one college football and you certainly don't belong in the nfl if you don't put the extra in.
Sio Moore raves how e loves to put the extra work. In. Mccumings is the anti-sio.

C

Chief00

One last thought on the Wildcat. Scott had 39 runs and 2 pass completions, hence the defense knew the play ahead of time putting everyone behind the 8 ball.
As for recent NFL draft picks, they were Edsall recruits, who did have an eye for athletic potential. Most of these guys are gone now.

Reaction Score
There are few known play makers on offense. In fact, I have difficulties thinking of one, perhaps Davis?

Folks will probably think I'm nuts (or probably already do), but I think Whitmer has the chance to be far and away the best QB UCONN has ever had not named Dan. Last season he had two NFL caliber TEs and two prospective (imho) NFL caliber receivers in Davis and Philips to say nothing of Nick Williams who is sticking around in the NFL right now and Smith who was more than serviceable. We were thin at RB, but McCombs is a serviceable back. So there is and was talent. Oregon? No. But I think better than less than 18 points a game.

If we committed to run the football last season and set up play action with the TEs we had we would have won 8 games. Instead we had zone blocking for a flyweight back and a QB who is lucky to still be in one piece coupled with a wildcat package that UMass had figured out about 3 minutes into the season.

I am typically not a fan that bashes coaches, but these guys were incompetent last season.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I hope we see more Wildcat next year...its really been successful.

Reaction Score

It is concerning and I don't remember it happening under Edsall. The Big East's leading rusher in 2004 (?) Brockington came into camp the following year out of shape and ended up with splinters in his a** that season. Edsall did not duckk around and I think P's comments are way too cavalier (for me anyway).

Reaction Score
It is concerning and I don't remember it happening under Edsall. The Big East's leading rusher in 2004 (?) Brockington came into camp the following year out of shape and ended up with splinters in his a* that season. Edsall did not duckk around and I think P's comments are way too cavalier (for me anyway).
I agree p is being very cool about it but he either encourages him to fix him or wastes a scholly for someone to keep the bench down. Either way Scott gets a scholly weather he shows up 300 lbs or not. I think the kid mailed it in. It happens in the nfl too.

Reaction Score
It is concerning and I don't remember it happening under Edsall. The Big East's leading rusher in 2004 (?) Brockington came into camp the following year out of shape and ended up with splinters in his a* that season. Edsall did not duckk around and I think P's comments are way too cavalier (for me anyway).

You'd be laying into the Coach if he knifed SM publicly through the media.

I think PP's patience w/ SM is wearing thin. This is the second year in a row that he was not ready for the start of camp as expected. He is not a PP recruit and because of lack of depth he caught a break - not thinking he will get another one this year.

Reaction Score

I think PP's patience w/ SM is wearing thin. This is the second year in a row that he was not ready for the start of camp as expected. He is not a PP recruit and because of lack of depth he caught a break - not thinking he will get another one this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if SM is off this team before the end of the month. 60 percent chance in my opinion. Its pretty clear he's not focused on football and this probably explains his lack of development. My gut tells me he is gonna transfer.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if SM is off this team before the end of the month. 60 percent chance in my opinion. Its pretty clear he's not focused on football and this probably explains his lack of development. My gut tells me he is gonna transfer.

Judging. By McCummings' weight, hid gut tells him it's time for a double cheeseburger, fries and a shake.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Scott's relaxing after day 1 of practice
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375565189.553121.jpg

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

What PP says to the media is irrelevant.

I'm sure they are annoyed with him but if he can play they will use him.

The funniest thing P said was it took 6 months to figure out how to practice with 5 quarterbacks. It can't be true but it's a bizarre thing to say.

Reaction Score
The funniest thing P said was it took 6 months to figure out how to practice with 5 quarterbacks. It can't be true but it's a bizarre thing to say.

What PP says to the media is irrelevant. :)

I did chuckle @ that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What PP says to the media is irrelevant. :)

I did chuckle @ that.

It's further evidence that what coaches say is pointless. Only about a hundred teams practice with 5 quarterbacks - it's a real head scratcher.

Reaction Score
It's further evidence that what coaches say is pointless. Only about a hundred teams practice with 5 quarterbacks - it's a real head scratcher.

I have go back and find he question that prompted it... I almost think he was being sarcastic because of the QB depth they have now.

Either way... I hope SM finds a way onto the field (just not in previous role).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have go back and find he question that prompted it... I almost think he was being sarcastic because of the QB depth they have now.

Either way... I hope SM finds a way onto the field (just not in previous role).

Seems literal to me:

“We are working with five,” Pasqualoni said. “It took us about 6 months to organize it. I thought that went, and you have consider those young guys, we just threw it at them. For them to get in the huddle and take a snap, for them to have any idea what we are doing is a positive thing. We started with them. We did pretty good today.”

Reaction Score
Seems literal to me:

“We are working with five,” Pasqualoni said. “It took us about 6 months to organize it. I thought that went, and you have consider those young guys, we just threw it at them. For them to get in the huddle and take a snap, for them to have any idea what we are doing is a positive thing. We started with them. We did pretty good today.”

Preceded by...."The Huskies are trying to get all their quarterbacks up to speed, especially early in camp. The staff designed a five-man rotation system to get Whitmer, Cochran, Boyle, Taylor and Lagow enough reps."

Sure it didn't just come up out of the blue...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Preceded by...."The Huskies are trying to get all their quarterbacks up to speed, especially early in camp. The staff designed a five-man rotation system to get Whitmer, Cochran, Boyle, Taylor and Lagow enough reps."

Sure it didn't just come up out of the blue...

Yeah, like I said I don't care what he says, but don't see any sarcasm there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
McCummings unfairly had the dismal failure of the Wildcat associated with him when Coach D's predictable play calling and tendencies spelled it's doom.

I disagree with this post twice. The Wildcat wasn't unfair to McCummings, it was the only way he was going to see the field. And it's execution was as dismal as the tendencies.

Reaction Score
The wildcat worked on some occasions Maryland being one.

It lost effectiveness because they almost never threw from the formation. There was no attempt to keep the defenses honest. The point of the wildcat is to give the opponents a headache preparing for the Huskies. However, our wildcat was easy to prepare for and rarely caught opponents of balance.

The theory was fine. The timing and execution were awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom