Wildcat experiment meets ignominious end- McCummings moved to WR per Jim Fuller | The Boneyard

Wildcat experiment meets ignominious end- McCummings moved to WR per Jim Fuller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess Weist had sufficient data to support this move. Must have been really hard for him.

mymug_normal.jpg

Jim Fuller ‏@NHRJimFuller 4m
Scott McCummings moved from QB to WR for Uconn
Expand
https://twitter.com/NHRJimFuller

Reaction Score
Oh thank god! Best of luck to Scott at WR! :D

Reaction Score
Latest is 6'3", 257lbs.

Decidedly more tight endish at that weight. As an example, heaviest WR at the NFL combine was Harrison from RU at 231, who also is 6'3", and he's got a rep as a big WR.

Reaction Score
Latest interview video...HCPP stated he's not out of the question for the QB position. They want to give him reps as a WR.

Reaction Score
It doesn't mean the Wildcat is dead. The original design of the Wildcat was to have a RB play the QB position. Joe Williams or Max could be a Wildcat QB.

Reaction Score
Original design of George DeLeone was to put the backup QB in as the wildcat, that backup QB being McCummings. Perhaps some other skill player will be used in some version of the wildcat, but my gut instinct says the wildcat that we have painfully witnessed over the past two years will not be so prominently displayed.

If you recall, after the UMass game DeLeone was challenged about the wildcat's disruption of the offensive flow. He didn't learn from that game, nor the subsequent 11 to follow. Apparently Weist has a different philosophy as he made a change on day 1 of practice.

It doesn't mean the Wildcat is dead. The original design of the Wildcat was to have a RB play the QB position. Joe Williams or Max could be a Wildcat QB.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This is the right move, in my opinion. The wildcat....ughh....but also, McCummings is a fantastic athlete. You always want fantastic athletes on the field and in positions that can help you. Although he is a little big for wide receiver, I'm guessing he wouldn't fit the blocking role for a tight end. Get the man the ball with a little room to run, and I think he's going to really pay dividends.

And also, you won't continue to kill momentum by sitting Whitmer down on first down after having just completed a 20 yard pass....please kill that friggin' play, TJ!!!

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Latest interview video...HCPP stated he's not out of the question for the QB position. They want to give him reps as a WR.

image.jpg

Coach Dracula in the daylight? this time next year this fool is gone.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
I cringed every time that we ran the wildcat. However, if SM was a threat in the air and we actually threw the ball, it might have been effective.

Reaction Score
6'3" 257 running with the receivers means he showed up to camp out of shape. To me at least. He's got 30lbs to drop minimum to play that position.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
6'3" 257 running with the receivers means he showed up to camp out of shape. To me at least. He's got 30lbs to drop minimum to play that position.

PP said as much in one of the interviews.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
What a way to waste your talent. The kid has an extra chin now. Apparently he is disgruntled and ha given up on the team. No way does he play this year. Hope the incoming freshmen see him as a poor example and don't follow him.

Reaction Score
What a way to waste your talent. The kid has an extra chin now. Apparently he is disgruntled and ha given up on the team. No way does he play this year. Hope the incoming freshmen see him as a poor example and don't follow him.

Are you speculating on him giving up on the team or do you know something? I doubt PP gives him the reps he got today if that was the case.

Someone who gives up and is disgruntled does not see the field on day 1, IMO.

He's running or riding the bike until he gets the message. The head coach is not giving him semi kudos by saying he didn't drop one pass today.

Reaction Score
Are you speculating on him giving up on the team or do you know something? I doubt PP gives him the reps he got today if that was the case.

Someone who gives up and is disgruntled does not see the field on day 1, IMO.

He's running or riding the bike until he gets the message. The head coach is not giving him semi kudos by saying he didn't drop one pass today.
Coach o is doing the right thing to motivate him I agree. This is where pp shines is positive reinforcement. I give the guy credit. He can fix Scotty or blow a scholarship on another water boy. Only people on naked and afraid lose 30 pounds in three weeks. I see him riding the pine this year and hopefully it's noticed by the underclass men.

Reaction Score
What you never seen a 250 pd. Wr screen before? How bout H-back? I see alot of screens. I did like to see that he caught everything, but the problem I have with him is he had trouble holding onto the ball. FUMBLE!! He's still their best goal-line play hands down, unless clax or hypolite can punch it in.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
He's not a WR. Not at 250+. TE until he sheds 20+ and then he'll have some quicks at WR or Hback.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I love how when you go to DC's courant.com story on McCummings, the top of the page loads a photo gallery and the first one is of Coach Buggs. Since I haven't seen his picture before my first reaction was "Daaaaamn they weren't kidding about Scotty putting on weight!"

I0P3q9C.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Wildcat was so misguided. One of the reason it failed is because the team could never execute it crisply. GDL kept going with it because of pride. To end it would be to admit failure in his mind. SO GDL put personal pride ahead of team success. Why is he still on the staff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom