Wichita State to AAC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wichita State to AAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In a UConn view ...

This AAC needs better basketball. UConn fans need better RPI & better conference games. You can wait for Johnny Dawkins & Tubby Smith to elevate from the near ground up ... or buy existing.

The idea we (UConn) are getting anywhere near the Big East is simply wrong. The immediate future continues to be no chance for inclusion in either the ACC or B1G. B12 breaks. 2020-2024. There's going to be change. Wichita & VCU are the only Programs in the footprint that have regularly been top 30 over the last 5 years. Dayton, A10 nor any of the BE are likely.

Yes. This has been a rumor. But Wichita as a market isn't great shakes. We still need Gavitt type thinking to rise & draw eyeballs. And there aren't easier answers.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
^VCU is in the A10 now.

I'd like to grab them though as opposed to Wichita State.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this verbatim earlier this year.
Agree I have wondered why AAC has not courted Wichita state, vcu, northern Iowa or is it northern Illinois. Hell nova makes sense as it would be a football upgrade for them

Reaction Score
I mean since we're talking really crazy now, is there a reason that the AAC hasn't explored merging w the Big East somehow for at least bball?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Please let this be about filling our spot because that whole B12 circustomers was a head fake while the paperwork was being worked up to grease our exit and allow the AAC time to find a replacement.

It's all I want for Christmas. I'll even shut up about Trump until he takes office.
The Cesspool calls bs on this.

Reaction Score
I brought this idea up about two years ago. I don't remember if I posted it to the bball board or CR board. I was mostly laughed out of the gym but their were a few who were okay with the idea. My rationale is that if football has 12 members (1 fb only) I don't see adding a bball only school as a problem. You could argue travel is worse but we're already making trips to Texas and Oklahoma, what's one more stop to Kansas gonna do? I definitely want to see stronger bball programs in the conference.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
feel like this has been a rumor for a while? maybe just speculation up to this point

would be nice for the american, but you still gotta hope (against hope) that uconn is out by 2018-19 anyway[/QUOTE
Where do you see opportunities in the next couple of years? I thought things were staying as is for the P-5 conferences

Reaction Score
I brought this idea up about two years ago. I don't remember if I posted it to the bball board or CR board. I was mostly laughed out of the gym but their were a few who were okay with the idea. My rationale is that if football has 12 members (1 fb only) I don't see adding a bball only school as a problem. You could argue travel is worse but we're already making trips to Texas and Oklahoma, what's one more stop to Kansas gonna do? I definitely want to see stronger bball programs in the conference.
Elevating Wichita State will likely piss off Kansas. Kansas is in the Big 12. F the Big 12.

I'm down.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think this is a good move. They are a geographic fit with most of the conference, being reasonably close to Tulsa, SMU, Houston, Tulane and Memphis. We need the league RPI and strength of schedule to be improved.

I am willing to bet that WSU would get the UConn BE deal, and would be given a home for football if they move to FBS.

Reaction Score
Please let this be about filling our spot because that whole B12 circustomers was a head fake while the paperwork was being worked up to grease our exit and allow the AAC time to find a replacement.

It's all I want for Christmas. I'll even shut up about Trump until he takes office.
Promise? LOL

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

What an idiot. Shocker games are almost never on TV. They'd get much more exposure. They'd also make more money. While it is true that most of the AAC wants to move up, it's also true that most of the teams in the G5 want to move up to the AAC, if they play football at least.

Now that's the kicker. If WSU harbors no football plans, the Big East might be better, and certainly the MVC is travel friendly for them, keeping costs down.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
What an idiot. Shocker games are almost never on TV. They'd get much more exposure. They'd also make more money. While it is true that most of the AAC wants to move up, it's also true that most of the teams in the G5 want to move up to the AAC, if they play football at least.

Now that's the kicker. If WSU harbors no football plans, the Big East might be better, and certainly the MVC is travel friendly for them, keeping costs down.
I believe the only hold-up is their potential to start football. If they shelve that idea, they would be accepted quickly. 12 in basketball, 12 in football.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Isn't this what broke up the Big East. Teams not playing all sports. Navy is a military academy and has a national following. Wichita State is not Navy. AAC needs BYU.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Isn't this what broke up the Big East. Teams not playing all sports. Navy is a military academy and has a national following. Wichita State is not Navy. AAC needs BYU.
BYU will NEVER stoop to play in a non-power football conference as long as Utah is in the Pac-12. Wichita State is perfect because it evens out football and basketball at 12. The OBE had 7 non-football schools, who had power. Little old WSU would be the only basketball school in the conference and be less powerful than Tulane.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
BYU will NEVER stoop to play in a non-power football conference as long as Utah is in the Pac-12. Wichita State is perfect because it evens out football and basketball at 12. The OBE had 7 non-football schools, who had power. Little old WSU would be the only basketball school in the conference and be less powerful than Tulane.

Of course we are perfect fit in the ACC for the same reason, and would even out the schedule...if we played football elsewhere.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Of course we are perfect fit in the ACC for the same reason, and would even out the schedule...if we played football elsewhere.
Wichita State doesn't have football yet, and may never. If joining the AAC convinces them to shelve football, it's good for us.

Reaction Score

The Number One reason for Wichita State to do it is quite apparent in the DeCourcy lines - but he doesn't see it. Missouri Valley Ain't what it used to be. ALL these Universities are looking for a way up ... more revenue. More games in great venues. And the AAC slog at about the #8 Basketball conference points to the drop at the MVCC. Particularly with Creighton gone. Northern Iowa, Drake and Indiana State aren't going to rise.

Anyway to get UConn hoop in a better spot is what we should be for.

Reaction Score
I'm unfamiliar with many of the variables that determine a move like this, but I'd say if you're going to do it, you'd better be damn sure that Marshall is there long-term (which might be impossible), because without him, I don't know how much they move the needle. This is a program that went 17 seasons between tournament appearances not so long ago - we already have a bunch of programs in the conference who can become good with a single hire. If Wichita State becomes just another one of those, you're only diluting the pool. As far as conferences go, less is better, especially when you're outside the P5.

Reaction Score
Wichita likely feels that in the case this becomes a disaster, they can always land in either the BE, or the A10. Also, even if there are departures from the AAC, there will only be room for a handful of teams at the big boy table. What would be left is unlikely to be any worse than the MVC currently is, so what is really the risk?

Reaction Score
Wichita likely feels that in the case this becomes a disaster, they can always land in either the BE, or the A10. Also, even if there are departures from the AAC, there will only be room for a handful of teams at the big boy table. What would be left is unlikely to be any worse than the MVC currently is, so what is really the risk?

Why would they desire to play in Olean, New York?

Reaction Score
I think Kansas could care less where Wichita State ends up. I think their 15 minutes has come to an end though. Fred Van Fleet is not walking back through that door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom