Wichita State Post-Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wichita State Post-Game Thread

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Ah Gee, I thought I could slip that one by everyone! ;) Natasha, Boris, Professor, Dudley ... the whole crew remembrances of youth gone by.
Were you named after Rocket J. Squirrel? I hope so! Fearless Leader and Mr. Big are both UConn fans, by the way. They just love the dominance.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
KLS post-game : "Usually when Crystal isn't looking at you you know you're getting the ball!" Dang girl, that's a state secret. Hush now.
When I first learned how to play basketball, one of the things the coaches would always tell you is to, “look a pass into your teammates hands.”

Obviously, Danger and Lou are playing the game in an entirely different universe.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not much to say. I did say to friends that I felt sorry for the next team that faces UConn though. More sorry for WS which also met UConn for the first time. A perfect storm for a massacre. I do find the idea of a post game thread better than a game thread. Thanks moderators.

Same here Jordy. I saw what everyone else saw. Total dominance over a team that was vastly over matched as Geno and Kara both commented on. The Shockers are not a tall team. Their tallest player is a 6-3 freshman that did not get into the game today (according to the box score). UConn did what they were suppose to do to prepare for Monday. The starters went out there and had fun today. Crystal was feeling frisky and started showing off (I loved it).

It's interesting to see how much she's grown in one year. Remember where she was in her development this time last year? She went from not being ready to play (only 17 mins in the semi-final game against Miss St.), to being the starting point guard, and running the offense in 1 year. Geno said It's not the same if she's not on the floor, and they need her out there. I really expect Megan to make that same exact leap over the summer and become a starter in November.

The thing that no one mentioned about today's game is that it was a "trap game". That fact went completely unnoticed. What impressed me most today............. was the play of the reserves. The starters went about their work, doing what they were suppose to do, checking off boxes on their individual "things I need to do today" checklists. Justine reported that during a time out just before Geno sent 5 reserves onto the floor, he told them he did not want to see a drop off in play. Coombs, Irwin, Stevens, Bent and Walker started the 4th quarter. The Shockers were outscored 23 -4 in the 4th quarter. That was very impressive.

I thought their play in the 4th quarter today (with no starters on the floor) was the best I've seem from them all year. Wichita State will play UConn again many more times in the coming years, but they won't soon forget the first time they met. The Shockers got shocked today, and found out first hand why UConn is considered by many to be the best team in D-1 WCBB.

I would like to see the starters pick up right where they left off. Same hustle & flow and crisp accurate passes. I'd like to see UConn hold the Cardinals to 12-15 points a quarter. I'd like to see Durr and Hines-Allen held to a combined 21 points as they were Wednesday against Clemson.

If UConn can match Clemson's defensive effort and hold the Cardinals to 65 points or less (and I see no reason why they can't), UConn should win going away. If UConn is not ready for Louisville now, they never will be. I agree with some other posters that don't think this game will be as close as some fear it will. I'm not going to predict a score, just a "convincing" UConn victory. :cool:

Here are some current streaks UConn has going.........................

“No back to backs" – 909 straight games, no consecutive losses; ACTIVE, #1 All-Time WCBB [Mar. ‘93]
“Ranked Streak” – 462 straight weeks in AP Top 25; ACTIVE, #2 All-Time NCAAW - ’93; Tenn #1 @ 565
“Top 10 Streak” – 239 straight weeks AP Top 10: ACTIVE, #1 All-Time
“No double digit Loss Streak” – 223 straight games w/o double-digit loss; ACTIVE
“Road Unranked Streak” – 116 straight road wins vs. unranked foes; ACTIVE, #1 All-Time
“Regular Season Win Streak” – 108 straight regular season wins; ACTIVE, #1 All-Time
"Road Streak" – 49 straight road wins; ACTIVE, #1 All-Time D-1 WCBB

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Help me here. The UConn WCB archives only go back to 2000-01 season.

Today, Frede reported that 126 v. Providence was the most points the women have scored. I recall an early-season game on the west coast sometime in Abrosimova's career that the team scored something like 133 points (in overtime) against either UCLA or Stanford. Would have been in the previous century.

Anyone know?
I think you're remembering the UCLA game from 11/17/98, where UConn won a crazy fast-paced game 113-102.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Today, Frede reported that 126 v. Providence was the most points the women have scored. I recall an early-season game on the west coast sometime in Abrosimova's career that the team scored something like 133 points (in overtime) against either UCLA or Stanford. Would have been in the previous century.

Anyone know?
HEre's a link to the online media guide which has historical statistics back to the beginning of the program.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...pdf/2017-18/misc_non_event/1718MediaGuide.pdf

Reaction Score
Have at it.
Ok let's...I have not payed as much attention to the women's team as I had in past years, so maybe I'm missing something here, but Walker's contribution in this game and in many others continues to be a worry for me. I mean has Geno ever had the #1 player in the nation the year before, be this much of a ghost in her freshman year?

Reaction Score
I felt sorry for the next team that faces UConn though
Maybe. My guess (and hope) is that the team enjoys the win then quickly puts this behind them. I can imagine Geno telling them: "Forget about scoring 120, 100 or even 90 points against Louisville. That's not going to happen. You're going up against the No. 4 team in the country, a team that is 25-1 and a single point from being undefeated, a team that's given up more than 70 points only 3 times since early November. This is a talented and disciplined team. They're not going to be standing around letting you fire away uncontested outside shots."

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ok let's...I have not payed as much attention to the women's team as I had in past years, so maybe I'm missing something here, but Walker's contribution in this game and in many others continues to be a worry for me. I mean has Geno ever had the #1 player in the nation the year before, be this much of a ghost in her freshman year?
Ghost? UConn may not have beaten ND without her.

Meg is coming along nicely. Earlier in the year, she was trying to win games single-handedly like she did in high school but Geno got her to concentrate on other aspects of her game - defense and rebounding, specifically. She's cut way down on her early season turnovers and has been deflecting passes and making steals. I like her recent body language and the energy that she brings off the bench.

Reaction Score
Ghost? UConn may not have beaten ND without her.

Meg is coming along nicely. Earlier in the year, she was trying to win the game single-handedly like she did in high school but Geno got her to concentrate on other aspects of her game - defense and rebounding, specifically. She's cut way down on her early season turnovers and has been deflecting passes and making steals. I like her recent body language and the energy that she brings off the bench.
Thanks

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe. My guess (and hope) is that the team enjoys the win then quickly puts this behind them. I can imagine Geno telling them: "Forget about scoring 120, 100 or even 90 points against Louisville. That's not going to happen. You're going up against the No. 4 team in the country, a team that is 25-1 and a single point from being undefeated, a team that's given up more than 70 points only 3 times since early November. This is a talented and disciplined team. They're not going to be standing around letting you fire away uncontested outside shots."

It'll be interesting to see what happens.
Agree with you that UConn will not get to 100, but not so sure about 90. Louisville prefers to play up tempo on offense, as they did in the win vs ND. The Huskies will also speed up the Cardinals by pressing and trapping on defense.

No one on this Louisville team has ever faced UConn, same as Wichita St. The length and quickness of UConn is just not something you can prepare for in practice. At Gampel, on national TV, I think Louisville will get a tough lesson in basketball. I see a final score in the 92-68 range.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

Anyone know?

Not quite. Although your recollection of the century and the location is spot on. UConn defeated UCLA 113-102 on 17 November 1998. Abrosimova was on that team.

Maybe you almost remembered the 113 and somehow switched it to 133?

It was in regulation, not OT.

That game is notable as the most UConn has ever given up.

Every team has a most points ever given up - for how many teams was that a win? (Maybe Baylor?)

Edit - Ooops, UConn also gave up 102 points in another game, this time a loss - to Massachusetts. 102-78. Back on February of 1979. Pre-Geno.

Last edited:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The thing that no one mentioned about today's game is that it was a trap game. That fact went completely unnoticed.

It may not have been mentioned here, but it was mentioned by Kara. Although her point was the opposite - that the team would not be looking ahead.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Here are some current streaks UConn has going.....

“No back to backs" – 909 straight games, no consecutive losses; ACTIVE, #1 All-Time WCBB [Mar. ‘93]
“Ranked Streak” – 462 straight weeks in AP Top 25; ACTIVE, #2 All-Time NCAAW - ’93; Tenn #1 @ 565
“Top 10 Streak” – 239 straight weeks AP Top 10: ACTIVE, #1 All-Time
“No double digit Loss Streak” – 223 straight games w/o double-digit loss; ACTIVE
“Road Unranked Streak” – 116 straight road wins vs. unranked foes; ACTIVE, #1 All-Time
“Regular Season Win Streak” – 108 straight regular season wins; ACTIVE, #1 All-Time
"Road Streak" – 49 straight road wins; ACTIVE, #1 Tie All-Time WCBB [excl. neutral sites]

Nice summary.

Who is the co-holder of the Road Streak?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Not quite. Although your recollection of the century and the location is spot on. UConn defeated UCLA 113-102 on 17 November 1998. Abrosimova was on that team.

Maybe you almost remembered the 113 and somehow switched it to 133?

It was in regulation, not OT.

That game is notable as [tied for] the most UConn has ever given up.

Every team has a most points ever given up - for how many teams was that a win? (Maybe Baylor?)

Edit - Ooops, UConn also gave up 102 points in another game, this time a loss - to Massachusetts. 102-78. Back on February of 1979. Pre-Geno.
2nd edit - I see the game was already mentioned.

Reaction Score
It may not have been mentioned here, but it was mentioned by Kara. Although her point was the opposite - that the team would not be looking ahead.

the opponent has to be talented enough to beat you for it to be a possible trap game............never sensed that would be the case with WS

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
When I first learned how to play basketball, one of the things the coaches would always tell you is to, “look a pass into your teammates hands.”

Obviously, Danger and Lou are playing the game in an entirely different universe.
And then he taught you the new two hand set shot.;):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Even though Lou only played 25 minutes, the way she is consistently moving around to try to get into position, she must feel like she has played the full 40 minutes. After watching her play as a freshman, I never believed that she would become such a all around player.

You can't win with Geno. Stewie learned that and KLS knew after the first year. When they were freshmen, he told them to find something they are good at and keep doing it to help the team. KLS thought her 3 point shot is her best asset and tried to do that every game she was in. She didn't move around because she was open all the time and seldom got the ball. Then he complained that she just stood around all game and that really confused her.

She finally learned in her sophomore year that she needed to do more to get the ball and the closer to the basket the better chances of getting it. The more baskets she made the more often she gets the ball. She saw that with what Napheesa was doing.

Now, she's got it all. And Geno made her think basketball instead of scoring. Meg is currently at the confused stage.

Reaction Score
You can't win with Geno. Stewie learned that and KLS knew after the first year.

Now, she's got it all. And Geno made her think basketball instead of scoring. Meg is currently at the confused stage.

it's all a game you can win with Geno if you just listen, learn and make the effort until you shut him up with your great play.........then he can't stop saying good things about you............

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom