Why would Geno......... | The Boneyard

Why would Geno.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Schedule a game 48 hours prior to the Baylor game? Rutgers has always been a very hostile place to play in regardless of their Record. IIRC, we had at least 3-4 days to prepare for ND. The Rutgers game will be very physical, but I know our Girls can handle it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Schedule a game 48 hours prior to the Baylor game? Rutgers has always been a very hostile place to play in regardless of their Record. IIRC, we had at least 3-4 days to prepare for ND. The Rutgers game will be very physical, but I know our Girls can handle it.

The league does the league schedule I'm pretty sure and TV pretty much dictates the national games. I don't think Geno gets that many choices other than not agree to play this or that non-conference team No big deal. In the tournaments. as many as 3 or 4 days have to be played in a row at the league level and every other day of each weekend of the NCAAs.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This isn't the bad schedule. As scheduling goes 3/2 @ S. Florida and then followed by 3/4 @ Notre Dame. That's a lot of travel, two away games with the BE Season Championship on the line.

Reaction Score
they had to find a place to squeeze the game in for ESPN. as usual, MONEY talks.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Actually, Geno has noted on a number of occasions this his recent teams have performed very well on Saturday-Monday twofers.

Why that is, nobody knows. But I was actually glad yesterday when I looked again at the schedule and realized we were playing Sat/Mon. RU is not a long road trip so hopefully the pattern will continue.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Well, Baylor plays at TCU on Saturday, then has one day to fly 2000 miles to play an away game at UConn. I'm sure they don't have much sympathy for UConn.

Reaction Score
Doubtful he scheduled it. It's a Big East game.

And I doubt Geno minds -- this team has gotta be able to win 2 games within ~48 hours in the NCAAs.

As mentioned, the league schedules the Big East games and TV dictates the national games. But the schools do have some influence on preferences and Geno has said that he likes this general pattern of a Saturday – Monday pair, or a Sunday – Tuesday pair because that is exactly how the NCAA tournament schedules the games, and he likes to get the team used to that pattern. At the beginning of the season the schedule is always a little irregular with out-of-conference games, invitational tournaments, exams, holidays etc. But once the Big East season gets started, there is a rhythm; since the Christmas holiday, UConn has played:

Saturday – Monday (Stanford, Oregon)
Saturday – Wednesday (Notre Dame, Georgetown)
Saturday – Tuesday (Marquette, Louisville)
Saturday – Monday (Syracuse, Duke)
Saturday – Tuesday (Cincinnati, Villanova)
Saturday – Tuesday (St. Johns, Marquette)
Sunday – Tuesday (DePaul, Providence)
Saturday – Monday (Rutgers, Baylor)
Sunday – Tuesday (Seton Hall, Pittsburgh)
Saturday – Monday (USF, Notre Dame)

Six weeks involve games played two days apart, three weeks have games played three days apart, and there was the one odd week with the second game four days later. And regardless of how Monday’s game plays out, if UConn sees Baylor again it will likely be on the second day after playing a more difficult opponent than this week’s game with Rutgers. If UConn is going to beat Baylor, they’re going to have to do it on one day’s rest, just like this week.

Besides, Baylor also plays on Saturday (TCU) before traveling up north. And for those that are curious, since Christmas Baylor has been generally in a three or four day spacing – a weekend game and a Wednesday game. Last week Baylor shifted to a Tuesday game (still maintaining three or four days between games); the Big Monday game with UConn will be their first on a two day spacing all season (not counting the tournament in Hawaii) so if anything the scheduling would be more familiar to UConn than Baylor.

For the remainder of the regular season, Baylor will play Saturdays and Mondays, essentially on an NCAA tournament rhythm.

UConn has played closer to the NCAA pacing (2.3 & 4.6 days between games not counting the one odd week) while Baylor has played a more even pacing (3.1 & 3.8 days between games). But both teams finish the season's final three weeks in essentially a 2 & 5 day rhythm.

Reaction Score

Plus a 3-4 hour practice the day of the game.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If there wasn't a game on Saturday, there probably would be practice. I'm not sure that the rigors of a game would be much more significant, if at all. And I also don't think that Geno had much choice in the matter.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Kim didnt want to play UConn in Feb... remember, she didnt care for a OOC game in the middle of league play.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Kim didnt want to play UConn in Feb... remember, she didnt care for a OOC game in the middle of league play.
I'm sure he doesn't want to play at 9:00 either but ESPN calls the shots when it comes to scheduling games.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
From today's Journal Inquirer:

The Huskies would like to continue to build momentum heading into Monday night’s showdown with defending national champion and No. 1 Baylor at the XL Center in Hartford and that means they will not overlook Rutgers.

“This isn’t one of those throw-away games where Saturday you have a game against a team that in their wildest dreams couldn’t beat you at home,” UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. “It actually works out better for us that we have a road game against a really tough team in a tough place to play before Monday’s game. I think it really works to our advantage.”

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Look for UConn to get a comfortable lead and for Geno to rest his starters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom