Why we need to hire Petrino | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why we need to hire Petrino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He is damaged goods and for us that is a good thing.

Sure we can hire an up and coming coordinator or go after an up and coming coach like Doeren at NIU but the problem with those guys is that if they are successful they will bolt after 2 to 3 years. While this may have been a flawed philosophy when we were hiring PP it actually holds some weight now.

Like it or not we are stuck in the AAC for a long time. If we are going to write a Boise story on the east coast we will need a coach who can be here 5 to 10 years and rebuild what RE started to burn to the ground only to have PP stomp on the ashes.

When I think about the next head coach I look at a guy like George O'leary. G.O. was on his way to becoming the head coach at Notre Dame until people found out he falsified his resume. G.O. immediately became damaged goods and frankly no one but a program like Central Florida would touch him. UCF landed a coach that they normally would never have had a shot at and the guy elevated there program while playing in a crap conference to the point where they are now ranked and just beat a top ten team on the road.

Our program is desperate for a top football mind, unfortunately we are not at place where we will be able to keep...or possibly even land a top football mind. Damaged goods is the way to go. Petrino can clean up his reputation while he fixes our program. In 7 years he can land another payday in the SEC or the Big 10 and hopefully our program will be in a place to at least be considered by the ACC or Big.

Simply put we fargin SUCK right now. No conference wants us and top players do not want to play for us. We are not above Bobby P and I feel it would be a major mistake by Warde and the powers that be not to consider him.
Uconn needs some continuity. your total premise is based on Petrino sticking around for 5-10 years.
Has he been at any school or job for more than 3-4 years?

He has any inkling of success at Uconn and he's gone.

I think he would win at uconn, but I think Uconn is looking in a different direction.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think he would win at uconn, but I think Uconn is looking in a different direction.
Which direction is that? Losing? No, we've tried that for few years. It sucks. Winning would be a nice change.

Reaction Score
Amazing, UConn is Zero for the season, and we are looking for "character guys". How about the Huskies finding somebody who can recruit himself (never mind the school or the weak conference we are in). Need somebody who is a recruiting pied piper. We also need that person to eat, sleep, breath offensive football. Not the ground and pound variety of the '60s Green Bay Packers, but a modern day "run and shoot" offense. Scoring, big breaking plays and more scoring. Games that are won 47-42. I want the defensive players to be placeholders until the offense can get back on the field to score more points. I want one of those Big 12, Pac-12 defense that give up lots of points as long as we can get their offenses too that are capable of outscoring their opponents.

Reaction Score
Uconn needs some continuity. your total premise is based on Petrino sticking around for 5-10 years.
Has he been at any school or job for more than 3-4 years?

He has any inkling of success at Uconn and he's gone.

If continuity is what UConn needed then Warde made a mistake since PP was already in his third season and would have stayed longer. Three to four years would be OK as long as he got UConn back in the game. So if you "think" he would win at UConn (and I do too), then that is the direction UConn should be looking in. PP is an example of this "looking in a different direction" thinking.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
If continuity is what UConn needed then Warde made a mistake since PP was already in his third season and would have stayed longer. Three to four years would be OK as long as he got UConn back in the game. So if you "think" he would win at UConn (and I do too), then that is the direction UConn should be looking in. PP is an example of this "looking in a different direction" thinking.

This will never happen...but let's say Petrino came to UConn...and lets say he was successful. There is NO WAY he would stay 3-4 years! The minute he had any success he would be gone. The only way he would stay....would be if the team continued to suck. Then we wouldn't want him to stay. That is a winning situation for Petrino and Petrino only. He could use UConn to get the next payday...or if he doesn't do well he can collect a paycheck from UConn. Next payday will be 1-2 years...not 3-4.

Here is a potential scenario....UConn finished this season 0-12 (sigh). They hire Petrino for $2.25 mil and next year because of the easier schedule, Boyle experience, distance from PP disaster, the team goes 7-5 and makes a bowl. Maybe even wins its bowl game. Know what happens next? He leaves!! One year of 7-5 would be considered miracle work and the P5 conferences with no conscience would snap him up.

So that's what you get with Petrino...one and done. He would never coach consecutive successful seasons at UConn.

Is that what you want for the program? Sell your soul for one year of 7-5?

This will be a stepping stone job for whoever they hire. I would rather it be a stepping stone job for someone who may stay more than one successful year and maybe has a tiny bit of integrity.

Reaction Score

Do you think that recruits and parents of recruits will trust anything that Bobby Petrino says?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
800 lb. gorilla = Petrino's buy out. Petrino has 1 $1.2 Million buyout if he leaves Western KY on his own volition at any point before his contract is up. an extraordinary circumstance exist, buyouts are paid by the acquiring school. That means a yearly salary north of $1.5 million, plus $2.5 million in dead buyout money, given UConn had to buy out the former regime.

Not only is Petrino a bad hire character-wise, he is a bad gamble financially. I implore the moderators to stop future Petrino threads in their tracks.

Reaction Score
Do you think that recruits and parents of recruits will trust anything that Bobby Petrino says?

Just win and these problems take care of themselves. The parents will definitely send their boys.

Reaction Score
800 lb. gorilla = Petrino's buy out. Petrino has 1 $1.2 Million buyout if he leaves Western KY on his own volition at any point before his contract is up. an extraordinary circumstance exist, buyouts are paid by the acquiring school. That means a yearly salary north of $1.5 million, plus $2.5 million in dead buyout money, given UConn had to buy out the former regime.

Not only is Petrino a bad hire character-wise, he is a bad gamble financially. I implore the moderators to stop future Petrino threads in their tracks.
This kind of buyout issue should make him a No go! That biyout money would be better put towards staff salaries!!

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Just win and these problems take care of themselves. The parents will definitely send their boys.
Here is the flaw in your logic..by the time he wins he will be gone. There will be no win games then recruit scenario.

Reaction Score
Here is the flaw in your logic..by the time he wins he will be gone. There will be no win games then recruit scenario.

Worth the risk since I saw that you mentioned "wins". Time to stop playing safe. PP was a safe hire.

Reaction Score
Sure we can hire an up and coming coordinator or go after an up and coming coach like Doeren at NIU

LRock:

Doeren left NIU at the end of last season for NC State.

Reaction Score
Seriously can we just start a freaking Petrino board? getting tired of people advocating for something that will never happen IN A NEW ENGLAND SCHOOL WITH A WOMAN PRESIDENT. The only Arkansas philanderer that's going to hired here is Bill Clinton

Reaction Score
Seriously can we just start a freaking Petrino board? getting tired of people advocating for something that will never happen IN A NEW ENGLAND SCHOOL WITH A WOMAN PRESIDENT. The only Arkansas philanderer that's going to hired here is Bill Clinton

UConn - even with a women president - does not discriminate on the basis of gender , yada, yada, blah, blah. So bring on Petrino. Just win.

Husky25

Reaction Score
UConn - even with a women president - does not discriminate on the basis of gender , yada, yada, blah, blah. So bring on Petrino. Just win.

Why is Petrino the only coach that can win? And he won't not be considered because of gender or any of the other attributes your yadas represent. He won't be hired because of 1) the Buy out, 2) he can't finish anything that is not already going his way, 3) Past indiscretions/transgressions that embarrass his employer. Period. End of story. Arguments closed. Gavel pounded. Verdict reached.

Reaction Score
Why is Petrino the only coach that can win? And he won't not be considered because of gender or any of the other attributes your yadas represent. He won't be hired because of 1) the Buy out, 2) he can't finish anything that is not already going his way, 3) Past indiscretions/transgressions that embarrass his employer. Period. End of story. Arguments closed. Gavel pounded. Verdict reached.

Then some other Faustian deal. Just win. UConn deserves a seat a the big boy table. They already earned it and have been cheated out of it. Pretty much like to see BC (for its part), and ESPN (for its unwillingness to be a good community neighbor through its disrespect of UConn) both prohibited from doing business until UConn gets into a P5 conference. That should speed up the process quite a bit.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Then some other Faustian deal. Just win. UConn deserves a seat a the big boy table. They already earned it and have been cheated out of it. Pretty much like to see BC (for its part), and ESPN (for its unwillingness to be a good community neighbor through its disrespect of UConn) both prohibited from doing business until UConn gets into a P5 conference. That should speed up the process quite a bit.

Right because deals with the devil always work out for the non-devil party.

Reaction Score
Or maybe for FB Uconn has not earned it. Why is it that Uconn earned it but none of the other people that moved did not earn it?

Uconn needs to win, win big and dominate the AAC in FB and BB. They need to play anybody, anywhere, even without return games. In FB they need to get a coach that is not the star but that produces the stars. Someone aggressive that is just close enough to the edge without violating rules. Juco's need to be welcomed with open arms. No need to have 100% graduation, 85-90% will be just fine. Have the hide a FB player curriculum for the 4 and 5 stars that are weak academically just like most top 25 teams not name Stanford. Uconn needs to become must see TV whenever they play. They need to be the upset darlings of ESPN during Bowl week and the NCAA's. Fans need to buy 100% of the bowl tickets and actually go the games wearing the team colors.

Uconn needs to separate themselves from every other AAC team that is just happy to be in the conference. Then the eyeballs region/nation-wide will be factual and not some self inflated sense of worth that seems to prevail on this board.

And, oh yeah, Uconn needs to sellout every home game in both FB and FB with fans in their seats by kickoff just like the MI game every time they play. The game is the event to be at. Not the tailgating.

Reaction Score
He is damaged goods and for us that is a good thing.

Sure we can hire an up and coming coordinator or go after an up and coming coach like Doeren at NIU but the problem with those guys is that if they are successful they will bolt after 2 to 3 years. While this may have been a flawed philosophy when we were hiring PP it actually holds some weight now.

Like it or not we are stuck in the AAC for a long time. If we are going to write a Boise story on the east coast we will need a coach who can be here 5 to 10 years and rebuild what RE started to burn to the ground only to have PP stomp on the ashes.

When I think about the next head coach I look at a guy like George O'leary. G.O. was on his way to becoming the head coach at Notre Dame until people found out he falsified his resume. G.O. immediately became damaged goods and frankly no one but a program like Central Florida would touch him. UCF landed a coach that they normally would never have had a shot at and the guy elevated there program while playing in a crap conference to the point where they are now ranked and just beat a top ten team on the road.

Our program is desperate for a top football mind, unfortunately we are not at place where we will be able to keep...or possibly even land a top football mind. Damaged goods is the way to go. Petrino can clean up his reputation while he fixes our program. In 7 years he can land another payday in the SEC or the Big 10 and hopefully our program will be in a place to at least be considered by the ACC or Big.

Simply put we fargin SUCK right now. No conference wants us and top players do not want to play for us. We are not above Bobby P and I feel it would be a major mistake by Warde and the powers that be not to consider him.
Don't be so sure we are stuck in the AAC for a long, long time. The fact that I said that is precisely the reason why Petrino will not get the job. There is a lot going on behind the scenes at not just finding a new football coach but a new conference as well. I mean UCF can afford to hire a guy with baggage because they're not going anywhere conference wise. So with what Warde and Susan are trying to do, hiring Petrino is not gonna happen.

Reaction Score
Or maybe for FB Uconn has not earned it. Why is it that Uconn earned it but none of the other people that moved did not earn it?

They earned it the day they beat Notre Dame. They earned it the day they roughed up Steve Spurrier's, South Carolina
Gamecocks. They earned it when they beat West Virginia, and Virginia and Maryland and Wake Forest and Indiana and gave UNC and NC State fits. UConn deserves to be in a Power 5 conference. If these invitations were for merit, Rutgers would be in the Big East still. BC would be in the Big East as well as Pitt. And Syracuse? They'd be in the CAA based on what they've done over the past decade. So I don't wanna hear Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, Larry Zconka. Yale had a couple of Heisman winners and they're not getting invited anytime soon.

So yeah, UConn should be in already.

Reaction Score
Which direction is that? Losing? No, we've tried that for few years. It sucks. Winning would be a nice change.
So Uconn's list of possible coaches in your book has one name, Petrino?

I would be very surprised if Uconn goes after this guy given his track-record off the field, and his length of tenure at any given employer the past 10 years. If he leaves WKU after one season, he'd leave Uconn in a heartbeat if something better came along.
Like I said. I think he would win games. Just not sure Uconn is willing to take on the risk.

In the end, it really doesn't matter what I think, or what you think.

Reaction Score
per my previous post, I don't see Uconn willing to take the risk on Petrino. He's left every job in turmoil, and not one program was in a great position when he left.
I think there are other coaches that could win and bring less baggage. They also have the potential to be here for more than 1 or 2 years.

Reaction Score
This will never happen...but let's say Petrino came to UConn...and lets say he was successful. There is NO WAY he would stay 3-4 years! The minute he had any success he would be gone. The only way he would stay....would be if the team continued to suck. Then we wouldn't want him to stay. That is a winning situation for Petrino and Petrino only. He could use UConn to get the next payday...or if he doesn't do well he can collect a paycheck from UConn. Next payday will be 1-2 years...not 3-4.

Here is a potential scenario....UConn finished this season 0-12 (sigh). They hire Petrino for $2.25 mil and next year because of the easier schedule, Boyle experience, distance from PP disaster, the team goes 7-5 and makes a bowl. Maybe even wins its bowl game. Know what happens next? He leaves!! One year of 7-5 would be considered miracle work and the P5 conferences with no conscience would snap him up.

So that's what you get with Petrino...one and done. He would never coach consecutive successful seasons at UConn.

Is that what you want for the program? Sell your soul for one year of 7-5?

This will be a stepping stone job for whoever they hire. I would rather it be a stepping stone job for someone who may stay more than one successful year and maybe has a tiny bit of integrity.
We need a big name that isn't looking for the next move after Uconn.
Whatever the criteria was for hiring Calhoun, they should revisit and translate those qualities and credentials to a football coach.

Reaction Score
think about what you are saying.
The only item between Uconn and the P5 is Bobby Petrino?

Reaction Score
We need a big name that isn't looking for the next move after Uconn.
Whatever the criteria was for hiring Calhoun, they should revisit and translate those qualities and credentials to a football coach.
Since you seem to be lacking any historical reference, Calhoun came from Northeastern, a small private school, which has never been a a BB powerhouse. Its only period of success was when JC had Reggie Lewis there. He parlayed that success into the Uconn job. The Uconn job at that time was not all that desirable. Perno had been at Uconn for 11 years with a 139-114 record and a couple of NCAA appearances. In 1985 and 1986, Uconn posted 3-13 conference records and played the dreaded 8-9 game. . When JC was hired, he was young, brash, aggressive and was not staring at a long list of offers. In 1985 he wanted the BC job but was passed over in favor of Jim O'Brien. JC knew how to recruit and he had a specific style of ball he knew would work with the right players.

So the circumstances are not that different. If you want a repeat, look at FCS/lower level FBS head coaches that have brought success to perpetual doormats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom