Why we need to hire Petrino | The Boneyard

Why we need to hire Petrino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He is damaged goods and for us that is a good thing.

Sure we can hire an up and coming coordinator or go after an up and coming coach like Doeren at NIU but the problem with those guys is that if they are successful they will bolt after 2 to 3 years. While this may have been a flawed philosophy when we were hiring PP it actually holds some weight now.

Like it or not we are stuck in the AAC for a long time. If we are going to write a Boise story on the east coast we will need a coach who can be here 5 to 10 years and rebuild what RE started to burn to the ground only to have PP stomp on the ashes.

When I think about the next head coach I look at a guy like George O'leary. G.O. was on his way to becoming the head coach at Notre Dame until people found out he falsified his resume. G.O. immediately became damaged goods and frankly no one but a program like Central Florida would touch him. UCF landed a coach that they normally would never have had a shot at and the guy elevated there program while playing in a crap conference to the point where they are now ranked and just beat a top ten team on the road.

Our program is desperate for a top football mind, unfortunately we are not at place where we will be able to keep...or possibly even land a top football mind. Damaged goods is the way to go. Petrino can clean up his reputation while he fixes our program. In 7 years he can land another payday in the SEC or the Big 10 and hopefully our program will be in a place to at least be considered by the ACC or Big.

Simply put we fargin SUCK right now. No conference wants us and top players do not want to play for us. We are not above Bobby P and I feel it would be a major mistake by Warde and the powers that be not to consider him.

Reaction Score
Fudging your resume doesn't compare to what Petrino did. I'm amazed that WKU even hired him.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
What's the hard@n for this guy? Isn't he the guy that left the Falcons high and dry?

Reaction Score
"RE started to burn to the ground ..."

WOWOWOW

I cannot see the world more different. I have no clue how you, and others, conclude that is the summary of where we were with Edsall. I guess WE have to agree to disagree ... and remember, with heartfelt compassion, that we are all suffering UConn fanatics watching this Football.

I posted a week ago ... my vision is Jim Mora. Not Jim Mora/not George O'Leary. But ... we are on the same page. We are UConn. Basically, by rights, I think we ought to just be a top 60 Program with whomever (instead of the #113 we are now). But, where we agree (I think) is we have to do something unconventional to find a Program Builder - a guy who is going to LOVE New England & put together the elements that will take us on a nice 10 year run to where we are highly competitive. A Boise. Jim Mora was a intense Pro coach with a strong discipline streak. But he is rah rah by nature. He is highly state of the current Football mind. (not PP ... imho) A guy that would not be on the mind of the top 6 Programs at the Pac 12/SEC/ACC/B12/B10. Somehow, UCLA needed not to strike out with a conventional guy. We aren't going Petrino. (just not in our Moral compass mood with SH etc) We can get a guy who is highly technical but spirited. Pro experience is excellent. But, the right age comes into play too.

We are going to need a really great Warde Manual move. I am rooting for that guy. May Lightning strike.

Reaction Score

WOWOWOW

I cannot see the world more different. I have no clue how you, and others, conclude that is the summary of where we were with Edsall. I guess WE have to agree to disagree ... and remember, with heartfelt compassion, that we are all suffering UConn fanatics watching this Football.

I posted a week ago ... my vision is Jim Mora. Not Jim Mora/not George O'Leary. But ... we are on the same page. We are UConn. Basically, by rights, I think we ought to just be a top 60 Program with whomever (instead of the #113 we are now). But, where we agree (I think) is we have to do something unconventional to find a Program Builder - a guy who is going to LOVE New England & put together the elements that will take us on a nice 10 year run to where we are highly competitive. A Boise. Jim Mora was a intense Pro coach with a strong discipline streak. But he is rah rah by nature. He is highly state of the current Football mind. (not PP ... imho) A guy that would not be on the mind of the top 6 Programs at the Pac 12/SEC/ACC/B12/B10. Somehow, UCLA needed not to strike out with a conventional guy. We aren't going Petrino. (just not in our Moral compass mood with SH etc) We can get a guy who is highly technical but spirited. Pro experience is excellent. But, the right age comes into play too.

We are going to need a really great Warde Manual move. I am rooting for that guy. May Lightning strike.

Holy mackerel, have we entered a new circle of hell. I just read freescooter is blaming Warde Manuel for Boyle playing as a true freshmen and not red-shirting, and Pudge, is having some kind of visions / fantasies about Jim Mora? Really - Jim Mora? Is it possible that we've gone so far south that I'm the only one around here with a grip on reality?

We are a crappy football team right now - period. The key word in that statement is 'team'. You watch this group of players, and that's what they're playing the game like - groups of players - and there are quite a few bright spots. We need some leadership, to assemble a team - and that includes coaching staff and players.

Turning this program around, can and should happen pretty quickly. It's the responsibility of upper level management, not on the football field, at this point though - to make that happen. The guys out there now, for the rest of this season, we just have to hope they have tunnel vision and can focus on the task at hand. They are capable of winning some games out the remaining 6.

I'll be cheering for them to do it.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
You really think Petrino would be here 5-10 years? That isn't happening. He is one upset victory over an SEC team away from a P5 deal right now. He took his current job not as a stepping stone to get to UConn. It is to get back into a major conference. If he was unemployed right now, he might consider it. But he is already in his stepping stone job and it won't be long before he is in a' football success at all costs school" in the SEC, ACC or Big12.

By the way....I don't agree with hiring a slimeball like him anyway....I just don't think it is even a possibility.

Reaction Score
No way does Petrino - stay @ UConn for 7 years. He'd be gone after two (three on the outside) and there would have been no significant time to make any progress forward before we have to start all over again. No thanks.

82980019.gif

He also has a $1.2m buyout clause @ WKU.

Reaction Score
I do think he would last 5 to 10 years...simply because he needs to redeem himself before he can land P5 job. He needs more than 2 years to do that.

We are a program that needs to win at all cost RIGHT NOW or face the possibility of becoming Temple...who is better than us for what that's worth.

What exactly did the guy do...cheat on his wife? What do you think the percentages are for men in this country who cheat on their wives at some point in their life and then lie about it? How many college professors sleep with coeds every year? I'm just not a holier than thou type of guy, i've made mistakes in my life so I wont throw stones. Maybe some of you are perfect.

@Pudge, yes we are in agreement, an unconventional approach is needed.

Reaction Score

WOWOWOW

My comments about RE are related to recruiting. Recruiting took a hit in his last few years...probably partially due to him having one foot out the door and every recruit knew it. We struggled to recruit WR's, RB's, TE's and Oline. Today we are paying for it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
At what point do you think Petrino throws his hands in the air and program under the bus and leave the team before the first year is up because it's too hard? Give the Corporate offices of Home Depot a call before executing a 7 figure contract with a guy like this.

Reaction Score
I do think he would last 5 to 10 years...simply because he needs to redeem himself before he can land P5 job. He needs more than 2 years to do that.

We are a program that needs to win at all cost RIGHT NOW or face the possibility of becoming Temple...who is better than us for what that's worth.

What exactly did the guy do...cheat on his wife? What do you think the percentages are for men in this country who cheat on their wives at some point in their life and then lie about it? How many college professors sleep with coeds every year? I'm just not a holier than thou type of guy, i've made mistakes in my life so I wont throw stones. Maybe some of you are perfect.

@Pudge, yes we are in agreement, an unconventional approach is needed.

Infidelity did not get him fired - lying and manipulative behavior did.

Reaction Score
I posted this in another thread but I think it is relevant here -
"Addazzio is not leaving BC for Uconn. And that was not my suggestion. But Uconn needs someone with that energy and passion to recruit. Schiano had/has the passion (but lacks the game day coaching skills), Brian Kelly has it, Petrino has it (along with a bunch of other baggage). Uconn needs to identify it and hire it like Lville, RU and Cinci did, It elevates the program quickly."

Programs turn on recruiting. With recruiting classes in the 35-50 range nationally coupled with an OC that does not have a flat line EEG, programs become and stay relevant. But before you get the relevance, you need to recruit, recruit and recruit more. You don't want to read this, but take a look at BC's current class for 2014. Right now, Rivals has them at #30. Last year, they were #87 and before that #63. Addazzio loves to recruit and tells the entire world how important it is to him. He demands that all of his coaches recruit hard and successfully. And he hired a young OC that has taken below average talent and basically doubled their average points per game.

Look at how Cinci became relevant again with Kelly and Dantonio. Look at how Lville turned around their post Petrino debacle with Strong. Look at what UCLA did. Look at Michigan with Hoke. And Schiano took RU from being a joke to being relevant on the back of some great recruiting. The formula is really clear that the winning formula starts with the ability to recruit. So you start looking down one or two levels and you find that guy. And if the guy wants to leave after 3 years because he was successful, as a fan, I would embrace that level of success and know that Uconn is now a great stop for young, aggressive and talented coaches that will continue the formula for success. What I would not want as a fan is an OC or DC from some school that has been successful (thinking about Diaco from ND in this case). You want someone that can run the whole show and who has shown it before.

Reaction Score
Hiring Petrino because we need someone who will stick around for awhile is incredibly backwards. That's a guy who has proven he has no issue jumping at the first opportunity he gets. And if you really think that he's going to last here 10 years simply because nobody else will be willing to touch him, than that should be a pretty good sign we should stay away. Nobody is going to come here and consider UConn their destination job. But not everyone is going to jump at the first opportunity that could be considered any type of upgrade. Petrino has already shown he's the type of guy that will.

As far as a coordinator or young up and comer jumping after 2-3 years, I doubt it. And if it does happen, it's because they've completely turned us around and had a couple of great years, and in that case you take it. But if we hire a guy who gets us 7 wins against a weak schedule in their 2nd year, they aren't going to have bigger schools fighting to hire him at that point.

Uconnalliance

Reaction Score
Didn't we spend the last 3 years !ng up our program we don't need to spend another 10 rebuilding it with that bum.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Programs turn on recruiting. With recruiting classes in the 35-50 range nationally coupled with an OC that does not have a flat line EEG, programs become and stay relevant.

Stop it, everyone knows recruiting rankings are totally invalid. After all, the top 15 in ESPN's rankings for 2012:

1. Alabama
2. Florida State
3. Texas
4. Florida
5. Georgia
6. Ohio State
7. Michigan
8. Miami
9. Notre Dame
10. Clemson
11. Oklahoma
12. Stanford
13. USC
14. LSU
15. Texas A&M

I mean look at that list! How could they rank those as the top 15! Those teams are terrible! Don't you realize the rankings don't matter because UConn had a handful of NFL guys out the few-hundred kids they've churned out since joining FBS!!!!! UNDER TEH RADAR FTW!!!!!

/Boneyard apologista logic

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
What I would not want as a fan is an OC or DC from some school that has been successful (thinking about Diaco from ND in this case). You want someone that can run the whole show and who has shown it before.

I would disagree on this point, especially based on your recruiting thing. What if the OC or DC had a heavy role in recruiting? I don't want to categorically rule out a top coordinator from a strong program just because he "hasn't run the show" before, because then you basically limit yourself to guys whose experience at the FBS level was getting fired.

Reaction Score
I would disagree on this point, especially based on your recruiting thing. What if the OC or DC had a heavy role in recruiting? I don't want to categorically rule out a top coordinator from a strong program just because he "hasn't run the show" before, because then you basically limit yourself to guys whose experience at the FBS level was getting fired.
I guess that there have been way too many career OC/DC's that were labeled as great hires have flamed out (Weiss, Willingham, Kragthorpe, O'Brien, London). The successful assistants are younger guys that start as HC's at smaller schools (Kelly at CMU, Golden at Temple, the guy at Ball State and NIU; hell, even Edsall at Uconn). I think HC's from the MAC, Sunbelt, WAC, FCS are far more successful at stepping up than FBS OC/DC's getting their first gig.

Reaction Score

I'm sure we could get a successful MAC head coach, that's FBS experience, even someone like Moorhead had success as an offensive coordinator at the FBS level at two different stops and is now proving he can run his own show.

The MAC is a good league, hiring a MAC head coach who wins should not be considered beneath us, a coach who can coach up players and win with lesser talent is exactly what we need. (see Lembo and Ball St beating Virginia at Virginia)

First you win with lesser talent and then you improve recruiting. Winning comes first. Calhoun won the NIT with marginal recruits and then recruiting improved year by year and eventually took off, it didn't happen over night.

This idea that we need a recruiter is garbage, we need a head coach who can do it all including recruiting. We need the complete package. A slick recruiter who is a bad coach will fail and get us in hot water with the NCAA.

Uconnalliance

Reaction Score
Petrino has left everyone high and dry. Including both his wife and mistress! He two timed both of them for the one person in his life he really loves, himself.
Lmfao!!!!!!! Beautiful !

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't doubt that Petrino would bring excitement. both on and off the field if we were to hire him. I am however having difficulty resolving the premise that he would leave Western Kentucky after one season to come here yet remain here for seven years because he needs to clean up his reputation. If he would leave WKU this quickly for an AAC school I don't see why he wouldn't leave an AAC school for something better just as easily. If he needs to remain somewhere for a while to prove something, wouldn't leaving WKU after one year be counterproductive?

That aside, the closest Petrino would come to consideration here would be if his name gets thrown out as someone to be put on the initial (long) list, at which point the idea will be dismissed.

Reaction Score
I couldn't care less about the affair Petrino had. But the fact is that we have to spend 1.2 buying him out of WKU,

Also, you can't believe anything the guy says. And one can only assume that the people that he hires have similar character issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom