Why we need to hire Petrino | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why we need to hire Petrino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why is Petrino the only coach that can win? And he won't not be considered because of gender or any of the other attributes your yadas represent. He won't be hired because of 1) the Buy out, 2) he can't finish anything that is not already going his way, 3) Past indiscretions/transgressions that embarrass his employer. Period. End of story. Arguments closed. Gavel pounded. Verdict reached.

All great points. Can't agree with you more on your reasoning as to why he wouldn't be hired. But why would he be hired...because the guy can win and recruit. The question is whether the Suze and WM would go that route. This is one Old Husky that would like to see him on the sidelines but like you Husky25, we all knows the reasons he won't. I like Pete Lembo from Ball State, been a winner at every school
he has been a HC and moved up the ranks as a HC (Lehigh, elon, Ball STATE), took Ball State to their first bowl last year. You can't be a consistent winner at three programs without recruiting and coaching up. From a salary standpoint, his base salary at BALL STATE is $350,000. Financial incentives notwithstanding, not a bad choice. He is moving within the next 2 years, a P5 school in trouble would not hesitate. Lembo's our guy.....

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The $1.2 buyout is a much bigger problem with Petrino than his philandering. Manuel is hiring a coordinator that has never been a HC before. That is what we can afford.

Frankly, if we were to hire damaged goods, I like Jim "I am completely bats*$% crazy" Leavitt more than Petrino. Leavitt is 57, is a pretty loyal guy, recruited well against the Big 3, and is fun to watch. We would have to get used to leading the league in after the whistle personal fouls, and pretty much every school would hate us, but I am fine with that.

Reaction Score
They earned it the day they beat Notre Dame. They earned it the day they roughed up Steve Spurrier's, South Carolina
Gamecocks. They earned it when they beat West Virginia, and Virginia and Maryland and Wake Forest and Indiana and gave UNC and NC State fits. UConn deserves to be in a Power 5 conference. If these invitations were for merit, Rutgers would be in the Big East still. BC would be in the Big East as well as Pitt. And Syracuse? They'd be in the CAA based on what they've done over the past decade. So I don't wanna hear Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, Larry Zconka. Yale had a couple of Heisman winners and they're not getting invited anytime soon.

So yeah, UConn should be in already.
So then BC earned it when Flutie won the Heisman, or Matt Ryan was drafted #2 by the Falcons, or when they upset VT on the road or beat ND 6 straight times. That is your logic, right? How about when Pitt when to the Fiesta Bowl? That was earning it? Or Louisville going to and winning BCS bowl games?

What earned these schools conference invites was somebody's very detailed and likely factually based study that showed team X provided more incremental revenue to the conference than team U. I'm sure they had full access to every possible TV rating/demographic slice they wanted and they relied on that way more than anything else. So continue to be in the victim mentality and blame everyone else because that will work real well. Hiring Petrino, since he probably blames his problems on everyone else, would fit your perspective really well.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
No but he's on the list.

I highly doubt that.

The $1.2 buyout is a much bigger problem with Petrino than his philandering. Manuel is hiring a coordinator that has never been a HC before. That is what we can afford.

Agree with the first bold, disagree with the 2nd. UConn can probably afford to pay upwards of $1.5 mil/year. The question is will they find someone worth it? Just because one gets paid as an elite coach, doesn't make one an elite coach). I my guess is they start in the high 6 figures with annual escalators.

Reaction Score
Had Petrino chosen to tell his AD & President that he had a girl he was not married to on the back of his motorcycle when he had the accident he would probably still be coaching at Arkansas much like Pitino is still at Lville. The fact that he publically lied to them (on tv, to the print media & in a face to face meeting) about it makes him a person that UCONN will NEVER hire

Reaction Score
Didn't I read that WKU had him sign a draconian buy-out? If so, he's essentially off the market unless a very desperate school comes up with buy-out cash.

Reaction Score
An now, according to today's news reports, UCONN's got Gloria Allred on its case. Petrino ain't happening.

Reaction Score
Amazing, UConn is Zero for the season, and we are looking for "character guys". How about the Huskies finding somebody who can recruit himself (never mind the school or the weak conference we are in). Need somebody who is a recruiting pied piper. We also need that person to eat, sleep, breath offensive football. Not the ground and pound variety of the '60s Green Bay Packers, but a modern day "run and shoot" offense. Scoring, big breaking plays and more scoring. Games that are won 47-42. I want the defensive players to be placeholders until the offense can get back on the field to score more points. I want one of those Big 12, Pac-12 defense that give up lots of points as long as we can get their offenses too that are capable of outscoring their opponents.

Just win and these problems take care of themselves. The parents will definitely send their boys.

We won a lot of games under Edsall and all you did was bitch and moan about how the games weren't exciting enough, and that we can't recruit QBs and WRs if we don't throw the ball.

Statistically, we have the best passing offense we've had since Dan Orlovsky and we haven't won a game. We're throwing the ball more, doing it more successfully, and we haven't won a game.

You actually said you want a defense that gives up lots of points. Every season you get a little bit crazier, even by boneyard standards.

Reaction Score
So then BC earned it when Flutie won the Heisman, or Matt Ryan was drafted #2 by the Falcons, or when they upset VT on the road or beat ND 6 straight times. That is your logic, right? How about when Pitt when to the Fiesta Bowl? That was earning it? Or Louisville going to and winning BCS bowl games? Thanks . . . for making my point. These programs are all in Power 5 conferences (or soon will be). THEREFORE . . . if that's a tried and true formula (and you just claim it to be so), then UConn should be in, period.

What earned these schools conference invites was somebody's very detailed and likely factually based study that showed team X provided more incremental revenue to the conference than team U. I'm sure they had full access to every possible TV rating/demographic slice they wanted and they relied on that way more than anything else. BC football is an after thought in a professional sports town that considers college ice hockey to be a bigger sport than football. So unless by "more incremental revenue to the conference" you really mean they make money off televisions not tuned in to BC football then that's a bullship piece of illogic. So continue to be in the victim mentality and blame everyone else because that will work real well. Hiring Petrino, since he probably blames his problems on everyone else, would fit your perspective really well.

But I'll agree with you on two points: 1.) UConn has been a victim and 2.) there are lots of parties to blame at the ACC, BiG and television end.

Reaction Score
We won a lot of games under Edsall and all you did was bitch and moan about how the games weren't exciting enough, and that we can't recruit QBs and WRs if we don't throw the ball.

Statistically, we have the best passing offense we've had since Dan Orlovsky and we haven't won a game. We're throwing the ball more, doing it more successfully, and we haven't won a game. Love the passing, however, didn't count on zero running game, an O-line that can't protect the QB, a defense that is as poor as any at UConn in the past 11 seasons. Oh, and can't get a punt return or maybe run a kick out beyond the 18 yard line?

You actually said you want a defense that gives up lots of points. Every season you get a little bit crazier, even by boneyard standards. Speaking of crazy . . . how crazy are you to not have figured out that having a defense that gives up a "lot of points" would require an offense that score a whole lot of points?[/quote]

You do understand those facts, right? What I didn't count on was them firing a boring offensive coach who had trouble recruiting a better level of talent and replacing him with a geriatric, past-prime, conservative, boring offensive coach who didn't recruit much better.

Reaction Score
What moron actually says he wants a defense that gives up a lot of points? I hope you don't really think people take what you post seriously.

I want to win. I'm happy winning 17-10, or 47-42. We should be trying to field the best offense and the best defense. Only on the internet does someone actually think he's making a good point by saying let's suck at defense and be really good on offense.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Three months from now Manuel and Herbst will hire some upbeat young coach who will take the then 2-10 Huskies to a 4-8 season. Then people will say its an improvement and he's back for another year. Next thing you know we're back at another coaching change. And then we'll be stuck in this godforsaken conference for the next 30 eons.

We need to win not 2 years from now, not 3. We can't have a rebuilding year. We need to win starting now. And if anyone, including Petrino, can do that, sign em' up.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I am all for a win at all cost, rules what rules, approach to winning FB and have no problem hiring a scoundrel.

I do demand he be good at it, as in not get tripped up or caught doing stupid things. For that reason Petrino is out.

Reaction Score
Three months from now Manuel and Herbst will hire some upbeat young coach who will take the then 2-10 Huskies to a 4-8 season. Then people will say its an improvement and he's back for another year. Next thing you know we're back at another coaching change. And then we'll be stuck in this godforsaken conference for the next 30 eons.

We need to win not 2 years from now, not 3. We can't have a rebuilding year. We need to win starting now. And if anyone, including Petrino, can do that, sign em' up.

Can I get an amen!! Correct and on target.

Reaction Score
What moron actually says he wants a defense that gives up a lot of points? I hope you don't really think people take what you post seriously.

I want to win. I'm happy winning 17-10, or 47-42. We should be trying to field the best offense and the best defense. Only on the internet does someone actually think he's making a good point by saying let's suck at defense and be really good on offense.

Newsflash Wing . . . . . UConn is 0-6, definitely not winning. However there are a whole bunch of teams that are winning by scores that approximate 47-42. I want to win too, but unlike you (or so it seems), I want UConn to starting acting like those schools. Offense, offense, offence. I'll take a defense that gives up 42 points any day of the week that has my team scoring 43 points or better.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I think Petrino MIGHT get an interview or call, but that's as far as it would go.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
He has too many character issues. Period. If you think that won't be a factor in the hire, it's simply naive.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think Petrino MIGHT get an interview or call, but that's as far as it would go.
Doubtful. Why would you call someone you are positive you will not hire? How do I know UConn will not hire him? Among other things, he just signed a 4 year deal where he has to pay WKU $1.2 Mil if he leaves for any reason of his own doing. The obtaining institution typically pays these buyouts and UConn would have buyout fees (i.e. dead money) approaching $2 Mil for 2013/2014. I'm almost positive that is not what Mr. Manuel meant when he said that the purse strings wouldn't be tied for the next coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom