Why We Lost -- the Definitive Reason | The Boneyard

Why We Lost -- the Definitive Reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After spending the weekend analyzing video of the AZ game and sifting through the Boneyard for expert explanations (missed layups, poor coaching, lousy refs, emotional letdown, lack of depth, lack of toughness, etc) I have uncovered the definitive reason our beloved Huskies lost – AZ scored more points than we did. :)

Now, having settled that and put it behind us, the Boneyard can turn to our usual off season discussion topics: prognosticating next year’s starting lineup, complaining about our lack of a truly “physical big,” predicting a 100+ (or even 150+) winning streak, bemoaning our lack of a tough conference schedule, worrying about who may leave early (even if it’s two or three years away), reporting that someone’s cousin’s hairdresser is the aunt of the guy who cuts the grass for some big name recruit and has the inside scoop that UConn is a LOCK to get her (see Boston, Aliyah), and predicting (and pretending to understand) what goes on in the minds of high school girls when they make what is probably the biggest decision thus far in their lives (and even better, instructing them on what their decision should be).

Let the fun begin!

Reaction Score
I think Christyn said in the post-game press conference they thought it was going to be easier to beat Arizona. That's part on the players and part on the coaching staff for not being able to get the team ready. Maybe missing Shea had a role to play in this. Also the other problem with the team is that outside of Paige, who else can you count on? Who else doesn't get so nervous and pressured to the point they can't function? We need some shooters that we can rely upon. Luckily Geno has some coming. Can't wait to see Paige and Azzi on opposite sides of the floor. Have fun defending that.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
"...Fewer points scored than the opposing team." That is always, in my view, the definitive reason a team loses. ;)
I draw this same distinction, and it applied on Friday night. Either never had or executed a successful a Plan B or C offense after Plan A revealed itself as untenable.

Arizona scored not even 3 points above its season average, while UConn scored more than 22 points below its season average, its lowest output all year.

Reaction Score
I draw this same distinction, and it applied on Friday night. Either never had or executed a successful a Plan B or C offense after Plan A revealed itself as untenable.

Arizona scored not even 3 points above its season average, while UConn scored more than 22 points below its season average, its lowest output all year.
Exactly what I have been saying with much push back. The high post offense didn't work because they choked off the first pass and overplayed the second one. There was no Plan B such as a 3-2 dribble drive set to open the top of the lane. The overwhelming majority of our points came from our guards. That was our advantage on offense yet we didn't take advantage of it and put the ball in a player's hands as the first or second touch on the offense ( Liv) who was nervous and uncertain. I wouldn't be surprised to see that offense change for next year to take greater advantage of our 3 point shooters.

Reaction Score
In my exhaustive research I discovered that the team scoring the most points wins except in golf.
Never thought of it that way. So when I get beat I can say " I outscored you and I wasn't even trying to".

Reaction Score
You can look at it two ways. Did not score more points. Or did not hold the team from scoring more points than you. I think it was a combination of both. I think our defense (as well) has a ways to go to be a classic shut down defense of Uconn teams.

Reaction Score
By and large, Uconn got good shots, they just missed too many of them. But just a broken record for all the living room coaches here.

Reaction Score
This is strictly IMO. After watching the Baylor- Gonzaga game last night, we saw the Baylor offense we should have been running especially in the tourney. Baylor runs a few different sets. One is a 3-2 set with the bigs on the block extended. If a pick is needed one of them comes up like in a flex and picks and immediately rolls. There is never a pass to the high post like we did with Liv. They also run a low horns offense with the 4 players across the block line and the same thing happens. If they are in the 3-2 and the ball goes to the wing the low player goes to the block and posts up. If the ball doesn't go in, he clears out so the wing player has an angle driving lane. They also run a tight horns at the foul line but it is meant for a player to receive a pass and drive. Never does a big get the ball at the high post with his back to the basket. The middle is kept open, they drive and kick or finish the drives or pull up.

With our offensive players next year in Paige, CW, Evina, Azzi and CD, this will work much better than having Liv receiving the ball high with her back to the basket and having to make an offensive decision and Evina or the first passer to Liv cutting into the corner and being out of the flow. We have 4 players who can drive and pull up next year ( don't know about CD) so keeping the middle open is a necessity and let's face it, what team can shut down Paige, Azzi, CW and EW in one on ones if they are on the court at the same time?

Reaction Score
I think our beloved Huskies lost because they did not have that "Killer In Control" Mindset. That Killer Instinct. Now it is called the "Mamba Mentality". Bottom line is, everyone likes to say that they are competitive or love to win, until they run into that person or team that wants it just a little more. Sure we missed shots, had turnovers, and all of that stuff plays into losing. But if you are as competitive as you like to say that you are, and we all are competitive to a degree. When you run into that person or team that wants it just a little bit more, it is going to show. When our players develop that Killer Instinct and realize, the higher the stakes, the higher the rewards, the higher the level you play at. That is the mental challenge our girls have to understand and figure out.

Reaction Score
The Gonzaga/Baylor men's game reminded me of UConn's semi game. They both got behind early and never recovered, either offensively or defensively. Slow starts for the women were a frequent occurrence this season.

Reaction Score
Can we not talk about body type please. I understand what you're trying to say, but please refrain from using words like "skinny." Our players need to add strength, and that does not look the same on all bodies.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
After spending the weekend analyzing video of the AZ game and sifting through the Boneyard for expert explanations (missed layups, poor coaching, lousy refs, emotional letdown, lack of depth, lack of toughness, etc) I have uncovered the definitive reason our beloved Huskies lost – AZ scored more points than we did. :)

Now, having settled that and put it behind us, the Boneyard can turn to our usual off season discussion topics: prognosticating next year’s starting lineup, complaining about our lack of a truly “physical big,” predicting a 100+ (or even 150+) winning streak, bemoaning our lack of a tough conference schedule, worrying about who may leave early (even if it’s two or three years away), reporting that someone’s cousin’s hairdresser is the aunt of the guy who cuts the grass for some big name recruit and has the inside scoop that UConn is a LOCK to get her (see Boston, Aliyah), and predicting (and pretending to understand) what goes on in the minds of high school girls when they make what is probably the biggest decision thus far in their lives (and even better, instructing them on what their decision should be).

Let the fun begin!
I'm looking for a new lawn guy. Do you think the guy you mentioned is looking for new yards to mow. Seems he is well connected. ?‍?‍?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMHO, the game was lost when the HC thought the path to victory was thru the bigs Ono is too inconsistent and struggles in the spotlight and Edwards was just too young for that stage. Agree, both need to get stronger.
Knowing now how healthy Muhl was, I would have returned to the preinjury lineup with her starting. From the mid 3rd Qtr on, it was a completely different game with her running the show. Much quicker pace.

Reaction Score
When our players develop that Killer Instinct and realize, the higher the stakes, the higher the rewards, the higher the level you play at. That is the mental challenge our girls have to understand and figure out.
Who wants it more is always the deciding issue. Ask Geno.

Reaction Score
A main reason came from their own mouths. They thought it would be an easy game so they were not mentally prepared and ended up on their heels early and never recovered. This is because they played very few teams who had any chance of beating them this season, so they did not realize how many teams out there had that capability. The lack of a tournament last season reinforced that perception. I don't know about the team but fans last year believed they were the fourth best team in the country based on the fact that only the three highest rated teams beat them. They played the three top rated teams but not any on the next level down. The only other team they played in the top 25 was De Paul and they had a real matchup advantage against them . You really need a tournament to get a good perception of relative strength especially teams like Uconn in weak leagues. Not the top teams they played only gave them insight into how the stacked up against those teams but not the group in the next level. It was worse this year because of Covid so having a good won loss record can be deceptive. It doesn't make your team better or worse than it is but it can affect your game through via confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom