Why We’re Not Likely To See UConn-style Dominance Again | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why We’re Not Likely To See UConn-style Dominance Again

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think it overstates the pressure being imposed on women's coaches, and the frequency with which they are fired. The truth is the women's coaches in most places still get plenty of rope. GG is probably an outlier at TX, but my understanding is she really annoyed a lot of people with a serious culture clash, which is not a normal issue. And she got more rope and more chance to prove herself than men's coaching at P5 get. She had enough time to create a 'process' and a pathway forward, that she didn't was a big factor in her leaving.
Sure, a rabid fan base at TN or sometime in the future at UConn will get antsy, but Holly is still there at TN and will probably get a few more years to 'prove' herself - that is the same time frame that Tara and Geno and Pat got all those years ago.

Reaction Score
No, not at all. Its just when someone says 'never' or 'always' it just isn't true. It may take a long time but eventually the never becomes today and the always becomes missed.
Got it. The dreaded absolutes. One of my favorite sayings: always remember to never say always or never!

Reaction Score
This one knows her stuff ....and she nails it! Super piece.

My apologies. But I cannot resist letting this one go without a final appeal . . .

UConn dominance is no doubt inextricably linked to Geno’s coaching presence. But his eventual absence from the NCAAWB scene is not why it is unlikely we will see UConn style dominance again.

Rather, it is because general improvements in play will, in time, lead to lower standard deviation between and among the best and the worst players, teams, and programs. The differences between the best and the worst in the league will shrink. Increased trends towards parity will result, with corresponding increases in overall general performance. Under such circumstances, the impact of singular talents (e.g., a Babe Ruth, Wayne Gretzky, Wilt Chamberlain, Geno Auriemma) will have reduced (though not insignificant) consequences. And it will become increasingly difficult and unlikely (though not impossible) for records to be broken.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="connie, post: 2049660, member: 7882"it will become increasingly difficult and unlikely (though not impossible) for records to be broken.[/QUOTE]

No need to apologize... Parity WILL increase which means great games! We will also see how much good coaches matter.

Reaction Score
I think it overstates the pressure being imposed on women's coaches, and the frequency with which they are fired. The truth is the women's coaches in most places still get plenty of rope. GG is probably an outlier at TX, but my understanding is she really annoyed a lot of people with a serious culture clash, which is not a normal issue. And she got more rope and more chance to prove herself than men's coaching at P5 get. She had enough time to create a 'process' and a pathway forward, that she didn't was a big factor in her leaving.
Sure, a rabid fan base at TN or sometime in the future at UConn will get antsy, but Holly is still there at TN and will probably get a few more years to 'prove' herself - that is the same time frame that Tara and Geno and Pat got all those years ago.

You are correct in as much as many Women's BB coaches have lots of time to "prove themselves'. Mainly because some if not many schools only 'accept" WBB programs--and if the coaching staff does not have a national issue arise --the HC can sit there and retire.
Holly isn't a case in point--she inherited a job--got the sanctioning by being appointed by Pat. From all I have read, the AD has no desire to dump Holly, for financial reasons--the buy out and buy in of a new coach of any repute.
Also, we'll never know how long a lead time Geno, Pat , Tara got to prove themselves---in Pats case it proved to be life long--maybe the same with Geno--long probationary period wasn't it??? But it is possible--Tn and Uconn maybe Stanford--were less interested in coaching than these coaching staffs provided--there are /were Title 9 programs and TITLE NINE programs.

Reaction Score
I always say that.
I never do. Because always isn't never, or ever or infinity--which is quite a bit longer. Never can infer during the game, after the game, or every time I perform a function as in the past 10 years--because everyone knows as in always--a persons time is not infinite. Always and never are those terms Freshmen in college learn to argue against--in beginning logic courses. In debating clubs you learn to control your opponents words by --picking apart---Always/Never. I always knew that!!

Reaction Score
FWIW, Geno said this before anyone else. Asked by ESPN suit Steve Levy about whether the UConn 100 will ever be matched, he said likely not, because WCBB is almost exactly where--relative to the beginning of the NCAA tournament for women--UCLA was, relative to the initial men's tournament.

Frankly, I don't accept that analogy, because the NBA became so incredibly lucrative and the equivalent--not WNBA but international BB--doesn't match up to it in anyway. There's far less incentive for all the talented female athletes to become basketball players--just today, there's a thread noting that high school girls are turning from basketball to volley ball.

Reaction Score
Also, kids have changed dramatically over the past 30 years. Geno's bootcamp (team first, never stop trying to get better, push, push, push) succeeds today because, well, because he's Geno Auriemma. And they buy in, at least most of them do. Could another coach, a new coach, without his record, pull it off in the long term, with kids more and more focused on themselves, or whatever grabs their attention these days? Not so sure. Even Geno admits they're harder to motivate. But whoever succeeds him, whenever it happens, needs to bring their own strong stamp, and be successful quick!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom