Why We’re Not Likely To See UConn-style Dominance Again | The Boneyard

Why We’re Not Likely To See UConn-style Dominance Again

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
This one knows her stuff ...and she nails it! Super piece.

Yeah, maybe. I never thought I'd ever see a player as good as Taurasi. Then I never thought I'd see a player as good as Maya. Then I never thought I's see a player as good as Stewie. . . It's more than just the players.

Reaction Score
Yeah, maybe. I never thought I'd ever see a player as good as Taurasi. Then I never thought I'd see a player as good as Maya. Then I never thought I's see a player as good as Stewie. . . It's more than just the players.
Not sure I understand your point. Are you saying that the author is implying that UConn is UConn solely because of players? I didn't infer that at all.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She's essentially saying there will never be another UConn like program because conditions that exist now will not let it develop. I think that is a stretch, but it is a very fine piece and the end blows away the "bad for the game" blather:

"When the Huskies come up with a Gabby Williams to confound those who wonder when this dominance will ever subside, it surely seems exasperating to their closest pursuers.

She’s a product of a unique, insanely successful culture that continues to be a model for what others want to establish.

I noticed a number of other women’s college coaches remarking about that on social media in the moments after UConn’s historic win on Monday (and which drew a really good national TV audience).

While some want “parity” above all else, there are those who revere the benchmark that endures and inspires in Storrs. That can’t help but be a very good thing."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is no "again".
This was exactly my first thought when I read the article. UConn will continue to dominate for as long as Geno and CD continue to coach, and while there may be a bump or two when they walk off into the sunset, it's not much of a stretch to believe that not only is Geno great developing players, but also great developing assistant coaches. If Shea is the air apparent, and Marissa hangs around as her #2, why shouldn't they continue to field dominant women's basketball teams.

I was struck by a comment Geno made in his post-game presser about UConn's struggles settling on which offense to run against SC. He indicated that after trying a little of everything in the 1st half, Shea made the case to run one or two sets and stick with it in the second half, and Marissa agreed. Once they did that, everything worked better according to Geno. There are some great coaches waiting in the wings at UConn, so I'm in full agreement with CMC'72.

Reaction Score
Interesting article, particularly the observation that institutional pressures for immediate success forestall against developing a culture that assures long-term success.

Personally, whatever the reasons for UConn's enduring success, I think we are unlikely to see UConn-style dominance in NCAAWB in the future because (as I've commented elsewhere) the trend will be toward increased parity in concert with increased excellence of the players and programs. UConn is leading the way. It's just a matter of time before other programs adopt and internalize the UConn approach. Once that happens it will be increasingly difficult for any one program to excel so consistently for so long.

Reaction Score
it will be increasingly difficult for any one program to excel so consistently for so long.

Oops! It takes a team, yes. But it also takes a wise-guy (or woman).

Very few of these around.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I think the comment about the pressure on coaches to build that winning culture and product is telling fact.

Reaction Score
Interesting article, particularly the observation that institutional pressures for immediate success forestall against developing a culture that assures long-term success.

Personally, whatever the reasons for UConn's enduring success, I think we are unlikely to see UConn-style dominance in NCAAWB in the future because (as I've commented elsewhere) the trend will be toward increased parity in concert with increased excellence of the players and programs. UConn is leading the way. It's just a matter of time before other programs adopt and internalize the UConn approach. Once that happens it will be increasingly difficult for any one program to excel so consistently for so long.

On the face of it, you would think so. But Auriemma has had the standing invitation for other coaches, officials, and the like to come see for themselves for decades now and while a few have taken him up on it, the vast majority aren't curious in the least. So the question becomes how much time is actually in that "matter of time" equation? Twenty years? Thirty? More?

Reaction Score
All those who answered, '... as long as Geno and CD ... are heading up the program ...', have got it. Parity in WCBB will become a reality when these icons finally head for the Exit. Not until then

Reaction Score

There is Parity in RECRUITING---interesting comment. She loves Geno and Christine's methods and results.
Javaman---nice find--nice article. The hidden hint I thought was after Geno--the program will go as many others have gone--but should we expect to not change//??

Reaction Score
On the face of it, you would think so. But Auriemma has had the standing invitation for other coaches, officials, and the like to come see for themselves for decades now and while a few have taken him up on it, the vast majority aren't curious in the least. So the question becomes how much time is actually in that "matter of time" equation? Twenty years? Thirty? More?

Not to be the carrier of bad tydings---I suspect the answer to your time question is: The first full season without Geno's input to the program--maybe the same could be said of CD--
I believe all who have been around WBB as a fan or coaching staffs will believe ; the Uconn program will decline regardless of who his replacement may be, because Geno's personality--not style--is the real driving force. His methods can be replicated, his reported beliefs can be present to new team---but all the technical parts of his program will have no effect without his forceful personality..

Reaction Score
I suspect the answer to your time question is: The first full season without Geno's input to the program--maybe the same could be said of CD.

Totally agree. Look at Holly after Pat Summit.

"Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy"

Which is why, Broadway, I have been asking this question ad nauseam!

Maybe I should take up knitting, or something useful!

Reaction Score
....but all the technical parts of his program will have no effect without his forceful personality..
BINGO!

However, that doesn't mean that the AD can't see to it that UConn hires and retains the best coaching available.

There is only one Geno. But there are other darn good coaches. UConn will not always be able to stay at the top of the heap, but it can be in the fight to get to the peak every year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not to be the carrier of bad tydings---I suspect the answer to your time question is: The first full season without Geno's input to the program--maybe the same could be said of CD--
I believe all who have been around WBB as a fan or coaching staffs will believe ; the Uconn program will decline regardless of who his replacement may be, because Geno's personality--not style--is the real driving force. His methods can be replicated, his reported beliefs can be present to new team---but all the technical parts of his program will have no effect without his forceful personality..

I dunno. We use his ex players who coach as an example to support this line of thinking but the truth is they've all been at smaller programs without access to the top tier recruits that UConn has access to. In my mind that negates the proof of the argument that holds the most weight. I agree with the man himself who says the UConn way is larger than any single part of it, including him. As long as the recruiting process takes into account the elements that are deemed necessary for success are still valued and practices are harder than the games I don't see any reason to doubt that the program will continue to shine. Hopefully the competition does finally show up and while there may be losses it's hard to imagine all of this fading away - unlike some other programs that desperately cling to the past in the hope lightning will strike again. The adulation of Auriemma is deserved but, well, if he gets the best out of every player why is it so hard to imagine that he won't have the same effect on the leaders he leaves behind? Does it seem likely he just walks away without any input into who takes over? Now that's hard to believe.

Reaction Score
As civilization advances, poetry (represented by the Huskies) most necessarily declines.

Reaction Score
Don't want to see Geno and Chris go at all. Not until, after I pass away. However, I have always thought that the best personality to replace him would be Coach Diana Taurasi. SHE has the personality.

Reaction Score
Passion, tradition, X's and O's, supporting the whole student athlete, extraordinary division of coaching responsibilities, a unique combination that is hard to duplicate. Geno coaching basketball players and C.D. organizing scavenger hunts; how many programs do that? Tough cop, good cop, but Dawn and Holly only know the love. You have to have the horses, but UCONN is the whole package.

Reaction Score
I dunno. We use his ex players who coach as an example to support this line of thinking but the truth is they've all been at smaller programs without access to the top tier recruits that UConn has access to. In my mind that negates the proof of the argument that holds the most weight. I agree with the man himself who says the UConn way is larger than any single part of it, including him. As long as the recruiting process takes into account the elements that are deemed necessary for success are still valued and practices are harder than the games I don't see any reason to doubt that the program will continue to shine. Hopefully the competition does finally show up and while there may be losses it's hard to imagine all of this fading away - unlike some other programs that desperately cling to the past in the hope lightning will strike again. The adulation of Auriemma is deserved but, well, if he gets the best out of every player why is it so hard to imagine that he won't have the same effect on the leaders he leaves behind? Does it seem likely he just walks away without any input into who takes over? Now that's hard to believe.
\

The argument is circular. Without an end without Geno's retirement and that isn't happening soon.
There are programs cited in the article that attest to the demise or drop in the programs when a long time successful coach retired. No need to post them here. But beside sports--industries have failed or reduced dramatically with end of an era with a spectacular individual. As we have seen with many top programs-- it is NOT just the ability to entice talented and sizable recruits to your program- that keeps it in the top 10-Again--i don't have to itemize them.
I'm the first person to post --Geno isn't a god--he is human with all those failing--but there is no denying that his program has succeeded by his methods, his staff, his management and his personality. Believe it or don't
neither shall be fact until he is gone--and we still will have his services for another 8 or 10 years--or more. You may see his successor--!!

Reaction Score
For some reason or other Norton Antivirus warned me away from the Wendy Parker article. Could be a "false read".

Reaction Score

Thanks again Java for a good read. She (Wendy Parker) makes a point that really stuck in my mind. We won't likely see anything like this run again due to the amount of good high school girl basketball players choosing to branch out to other schools besides the main ones. There's a lot of schools getting multiple top flight recruits. Parity and losses are bound to happen.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Not sure I understand your point. Are you saying that the author is implying that UConn is UConn solely because of players? I didn't infer that at all.
No, not at all. Its just when someone says 'never' or 'always' it just isn't true. It may take a long time but eventually the never becomes today and the always becomes missed.

Reaction Score

It won't matter how much player parity evolves if the culture, which is the product of the COACH, isn't there to define and propel the programs. As others point out here, the unique quality at UConn is its coach. We've come to realize that other programs get good/great players (eg., TN); in the absence of a Geno, it doesn't matter very much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom