why was she crying | The Boneyard

why was she crying

Reaction Score
I had house guests so no sound for the game. I saw an ECU player crying on the bench. Did the announcers know why ?

Reaction Score
I think that was sophomore Lashonda Monk. After a win over a decent Tulane team, she was probably devastated by the drubbing her team got tonight. Most D1 starters were all-something in high school, used to winning, and getting overpowered will never be comfortable for them.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
hmmmm, house guest = no sound?
Yea,

5b4522b41dd871116baac78f954aec62a61aa1b1e23e0c6dfdf5edec284afc1a.jpg

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think that was sophomore Lashonda Monk. After a win over a decent Tulane team, she was probably devastated by the drubbing her team got tonight. Most D1 starters were all-something in high school, used to winning, and getting overpowered will never be comfortable for them.
I'm not sure why she was crying but I was very impressed with how the very "young" coach handled it.
I only knew she was young because Meg made a comment that she was born when Geno was in his 3rd year of coaching at UCONN which would make her 31 or 32.

Last edited:

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
ECU had only seen 2 teams in the Massey Top 100 all year and the best was Central Florida. I'm sure last night was a shock to the senses.

Next, they should try a 60 point loss to UConn (that could've been 80) in the Sweet Sixteen. That'll focus you on what you need to fix.

Reaction Score
ECU had only seen 2 teams in the Massey Top 100 all year and the best was Central Florida. I'm sure last night was a shock to the senses.

Next, they should try a 60 point loss to UConn (that could've been 80) in the Sweet Sixteen. That'll focus you on what you need to fix.

One could almost sense a game of this nature eventually occurring, especially the way UConn looked the last two games and frankly prior games also. My heart went out to that player after seeing that. Just a side comment, why do cameras always tend to stay focused on players that are suffering on the bench?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
We don't know why she was crying. She might have something difficult going on in her personal or academic life, which would make it harder to handle a road game in which her team was overmatched. I would be more compassionate than some, and err on the side of giving someone their space.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sports can be an emotional roller coaster. When you win it feels like you’re sitting on top of the world. But losing hurts, and losing big hurts a lot.

I know “There’s no crying in baseball.” But WBB is another story.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
One could almost sense a game of this nature eventually occurring, especially the way UConn looked the last two games and frankly prior games also. My heart went out to that player after seeing that. Just a side comment, why do cameras always tend to stay focused on players that are suffering on the bench?
Especially when there is an actual game going on, on the court. One of my many pet peeves.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why she was crying but I was very impressed with how the very "young" coach handled it.
I only knew she was young because Meg made a comment that she was born when Geno was in his 3 year of coaching at UCONN which would make her 31 or 32.

As I said in another thread yesterday, she played 4 years for Macy at another college, became ECU's video coordinator for 4 years, became an assistant 2 1/2 years ago and became the second Acting head Coach this winter. ECU's AD has as his "special assistant" Tenn's former AD who is a dedicated MCP and tried to dismantle Tenn's women's basketball program after Pat became ill.

Could be her player crying under the towel was dwelling on that. I suspect this young Acting will be made HC at the end of the season ofr chump change so they can spend more on an offensive Coordinator for the football team.

Reaction Score
I cannot understand why discussion of a player of an opposing team is crying on her bench is taking place. Frankly, it is none of our business. Or maybe we should discuss "why do players cry?"

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I cannot understand why discussion of a player of an opposing team is crying on her bench is taking place. Frankly, it is none of our business. Or maybe we should discuss "why do players cry?"
Have to disagree. It was part of the broadcast. I have a tendency to pay attention to what I'm watching. When I see a player crying I wonder why. Kia Nurse once cried after coming out of a game and both CD and Geno later commented on it.
No more crying over missed shots for Kia

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Have to disagree. It was part of the broadcast. I have a tendency to pay attention to what I'm watching. When I see a player crying I wonder why.
I agree with veryolddog, not sure why we should care about her crying. BUT Coco is correct they made a deal about it on the broadcast. Don't think they should have, but they did.

My opinion, if she's crying....well

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
As to whether or not posters should care why someone is crying, IMO one's reason for doing so stems from two different motivations:

1) Gawker interest, as in those who slow down to stare at highway wrecks.
2) Being caring and empathetic.

One of the great things about this board and the majority of those who post here is a genuine concern for the women who play the game, regardless of the school name on the jersey.

In some instances, the broader discussion sometimes leads to education. For me personally, until this thread I was unaware that ECU was on their third coach this season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Send a memo to DNY, ESPN, CBS Sports Network, Fox Sports E, W, N, S, SW etc etc: Thou shall not put the camera on a player writhing in pain on the floor, or having her knee worked on with 4 minutes to go in the NCAA championship game, or if she's Skylar Diggins and is crying at the end of the bench, or etc etc etc. Or if she's Stacey Dales and she just fouled out (thanks DT) of the Championship and she's crying under a towel. I could go on and on.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Or this:

Or "yeah, it's cuz I get to coach kids like them".

Disgraceful showing stuff like that! Head bang:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

"The thrill of victory .... and the agony of defeat. How many years did we watch that ski jumper crash and burn.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Or this:

Or "yeah, it's cuz I get to coach kids like them".

Disgraceful showing stuff like that! Head bang:rolleyes:

Are either of those...."during the game"? Or did they not know they were on camera?

Completely different.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sports can be an emotional roller coaster. When you win it feels like you’re sitting on top of the world. But losing hurts, and losing big hurts a lot.

I know “There’s no crying in baseball.” But WBB is another story.
Sorry. When my Mets won in '69 and the Cubs finally won in 2016, I cried.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Send a memo to DNY, ESPN, CBS Sports Network, Fox Sports E, W, N, S, SW etc etc: Thou shall not put the camera on a player writhing in pain on the floor, or having her knee worked on with 4 minutes to go in the NCAA championship game, or if she's Skylar Diggins and is crying at the end of the bench, or etc etc etc. Or if she's Stacey Dales and she just fouled out (thanks DT) of the Championship and she's crying under a towel. I could go on and on.
You must go way back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom