Why was Hamilton on bench so long? | The Boneyard

Why was Hamilton on bench so long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It took 4 fouls by Facey and Nolan to get him back in lineup. We were tied when he came out at the 16:30 mark. We didn't score when he was on the bench

Reaction Score
Hamilton is a mirage on defense. In fairness, they basically all are, but his defensive shortcomings just jump off the screen.

I can't remember a team that played defense so indifferently. And if they actually put in the work to force a bad shot, they're horrible at rebounding the miss. They just make it so damn easy for teams to score. When you're a vintage North Carolina team that has scorers everywhere that's fine, but when you're the local bricklayers union that's a problem.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think ollie sees how good he can be and gets on him when he has his mistakes or isnt confident in his abilities... sometimes riding the pine is a good teacher

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Like others said his defense is poor. Doris Burke pointed out one of his plays so re watch the game and take notes. IMO his defense is worse than OC's was freshman year. It's just bad.

He is an above average creator on the offensive end and a decent rebounder on the defensive end. I'm not taking away his rebounding play but if EO or JA or even AO were on this team, DHam would not be getting rebounds. KF, PN and AB just lack rebounding abilities although KF should be killing that department.

Reaction Score
Hamilton is a freshman, but now has a good idea/understanding of what he has to work on this off season. Div 1 ain't high school. Like Boat he didn't have much around him (think Jeremy).

He'll be the least of our concern next year, and I expect to come back as our best player.

Reaction Score
And he can't guard a chair

That's all good and his defense is not the best, but the funny thing is anyone who replaces him is worst in every aspect of the game. I agree he was out too long, he could go 1 for 20 and give us better minutes than those guys off the bench. Heck he's the ONLY guy who can defensive rebound. You want to take someone out make it Brimah.

Reaction Score
That's all good and his defense is not the best, but the funny thing is anyone who replaces him is worst in every aspect of the game. I agree he was out too long, he could go 1 for 20 and give us better minutes than those guys off the bench. Heck he's the ONLY guy who can defensive rebound. You want to take someone out make it Brimah.

This.

Ollie's rotations have been really questionable. I don't care if has lapse on defenses or in boxing out. He provides more than any other option on the team. The time to teach and send a message is in November, December, and January. Not March.

Whatever the reason are (and I agree if JA or AO were on the team things would be different) he is leading our team in rebounds and second in assists. He has cut down on his turnovers compared to earlier in the year.

The last 2 games he played 32 minutes and 28 minutes. He needs to be playing close to 36 minutes a game for what he can provide us. More importantly than overall minutes played is when he gets his rests. If the other team is making a run, for the love of god put him back in the game. Time his rests with TV timeouts. KO completely mismanaged his minutes the last 2 games IMO.

Reaction Score
Ollie should know better than anyone in college basketball that sometimes you just have to play your way out of a slump. The 2nd best player on our team has no place on the bench in a close game. Its noticible when he is not on the floor. Sure he may be fragile (think freshman) but let him play!

Reaction Score
This.

Ollie's rotations have been really questionable. I don't care if has lapse on defenses or in boxing out. He provides more than any other option on the team. The time to teach and send a message is in November, December, and January. Not March.

IMO.

Perhaps he thinks the teaching moment is more valuable considering the lack of positive output he was providing, the season not really going anywhere, and he might be counted on as our top playmaker next year.

Reaction Score
He is an above average creator on the offensive end and a decent rebounder on the defensive end.
What's your beef with the guy? Talk about back-handed compliments.
"Above average" creator? How about an excellent creator?
"Decent" rebounder? Dude is 2nd in the conference.

WOW. You've taken several opportunities to try to head-shrink me to figure out what I have against Purvis, who has statistically abominable games.

You comment that the best rebounder on our team and then 2nd best in the conference is only "decent" - GET THIS - because "there's not another good rebounder on our team." WOW! That is some f---d up rationalization there Fleud.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
What's your beef with the guy? Talk about back-handed compliments.
"Above average" creator? How about an excellent creator?
"Decent" rebounder? Dude is 2nd in the conference.

WOW. You've taken several opportunities to try to head-shrink me to figure out what I have against Purvis, who has statistically abominable games.

You comment that the best rebounder on our team and then 2nd best in the conference is only "decent" - GET THIS - because "there's not another good rebounder on our team." WOW! That is some f---d up rationalization there Fleud.

Speaking of f--- up rationalization maybe now you might understand what you sound like to me and mau.

I have no problem with someone saying DHam's an excellent creator and taking issue with my statement he's an above average creator. I think he turns the ball over a little too frequently to be excellent, but this scale is subjective.

Decent rebounder was stated in context with the teams rebounding problems. Shabazz was the second best rebounder on last seasons team, but with a decent front court, that should not have been the case. I'm thrilled with DHam's rebounding numbers, but if KF, PN or AB were decent I strongly doubt that Bazz last season or DHam this season would be posting those numbers.

And even if DHam would get those numbers with a decent front court, it doesn't make up for the many times he is unable to find, or play adequate defense on the player he's defending. But I would make a similar case regarding the inability of AB to get defensive rebounds because he doesn't know when to block and when to go for a missed shot. It's the lack of discernment vs. the absence of any skills that concerns me. That doesn't take away from their positive qualities. It diminishes those qualities. But both are young players and hopefully they can find some decent balance in the future.

I primarily point out the flaws of players when I see people avoiding them and only observing the positives. I do the reverse when people are excluding the positives of a player and choosing to point out, or primarily point out, negative things. I will never deny that I have flaws. The one that might be disconcerting to you is that when it comes to opinions I have a strong need to interject something when I perceive a lack of balance in the discussion. I used to feel this need a lot more in the past. Presently I have settled on a few special people. I'm healing this flaw.

With regards to special people I mean that in a non demeaning way. I see something in these people that limits them from being far more special than I believe they are. They already have a lot going for them so if I can't impact them it's not a big deal.

Reaction Score
Speaking of f--- up rationalization maybe now you might understand what you sound like to me and mau.
Throwing your lot in with Mau? Things are indeed Grim my friend!! See you next year!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Throwing your lot in with Mau? Things are indeed Grim my friend!! See you next year!
Me and mau have each others backs until we don't. Started over the AO vs. Chuck discussions. Things accelerated with the mumu issues and the abandon ship and digs on JC. Hope to hear from you well before next season.

Reaction Score
For all the crap Purvis has gotten these last two games, Hamilton has been just as bad if not worse.

Reaction Score
For all the crap Purvis has gotten these last two games, Hamilton has been just as bad if not worse.

He's been worse, but this is his first year out of high school, not his third.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
He's been worse, but this is his first year out of high school, not his third.
I'm not sure there is any excuse to dump on players. It's a whole lot different than critiquing players. It's a team game and singling out players is dumping on them whatever the justification people believe they have in doing it.

Reaction Score

I believe the only stupid one here would be the one who questioned US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom