Why Was Geno Displeased With Gabby vs. Colgate? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why Was Geno Displeased With Gabby vs. Colgate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Earlier, some of you were wondering why Gabby was not listed on the top 25 list. Now some of those same people are complaining about her play. If Gabby starts faking some of her shots under the basket, she won't have so many blocked. Sometimes she misses her layups because it seems she is afraid they will get blocked. The team needs her rebuilding.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
The People you miss--Kiah and KML--wouldn't they have been nice to have against ND and Depaul??? When the opponent are closing you down with a tight zone--it's always great to have a Zone buster.
Gabby--however, has hit a few 15 footers or 10 footers.
Thanks for the replay. Until Butler is useful on the floor, and produces as expected, Gabby, Katie Lou and Collier will be needed--hope they learn to make the 3 ball shot consistently, soon.!!!
I can understand how KML would help break the Zone. I'm not sure what Kiah Stokes would have done for us on offense- she was terrible with the ball in her hands, and couldn't hit shots consisrently from outside of 4-6'?

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Gabby came out of the gates looking like a significantly improved player. I don't think we need to panic yet. Geno is giving KML a long leash to get her Long range offense going. And I think Collier & KLS are look and are playing great, even though many are so quick to point out ever mistake they make. We're scoring 90 pts per gm agains gd teams, and with less three's than normal. Which is pretty cool!!!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Maybe it's an attitude thing we don't even see. Perhaps Gabbie is thinking too highly of herself as a starter and won't work the zone, or try to follow directions to do it better?
IDK, but sometimes what motivates Geno is all about attitude, not ability. Stewie said after the game, that she now gets it. maybe Gabbie has too just "get it" too.
From how disciplined Geno and the team said she is, and how accirding to many, she worked the hardest and is the most improved since last yr, I don't think that's it. She may jhave just hit one of those Soph Walls they talk about!

Reaction Score
When Gabby is playing "freely," she's truly fun to watch. Catches the ball, then quickly does something impressively athletic with it, or sometimes makes a nice pass (her passing has always been a bit hit-or-miss, but when on-target she's thrown some nice ones).

Sometimes she has looked a bit indecisive lately, though. Not for an entire game at a stretch. But certainly there are segments of the games, even against a team like Colgate, where the bouncy grasshopper shows that she has much to learn. :D
Nailed it.

Reaction Score
I think it has to do with Gabby's lack of a consistent outside shot......Playing against a zone defense limits Gabby's effectiveness. Not so with Napheesa or Lou. Both Lou and Napheesa can hit the outside jumper with more consistency. Creating problems for the other team. So until Gabby's jumper improves to the point of being a more consistent threat we may see more Napheesa or Lou. But on the flip-side , as long as the other team plays man-to-man , look for Gabby.

JMHO.

Now imagine when KLS begins to drill her shot. Hopefully that will happen this year - early enough in the season so the team can play at another higher notch above rhythm. If she sticks her shot well- then can you play us a zone? If you can't play us a zone then it opens things up for Gabby.

In part I was psyched this year for Gabby and KLS in that KLS would play a bit more outside on offense and on defense Gabby could guard the quicker player while KLS takes the bigger. I thought they were perfect for each other. Just waiting for KLS to start drilling those 3's. Hopefully it's not what slu had mentioned as a possibility. That she gets hot for 5 games then can't hit much for 4. But for now - obviously she isn't hitting.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I watched the replay today. I thought Gabby was good after she returned in the second half.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
a game against Colgate, isn't this a great time for Gabby to "practice" on being creative against "a zone"... its not like UConn was going to lose

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Accurate observations. My brother and I thought the same things. Gabby is a great athlete, but not yet a great basketball player. She's playing out of position. Even with her jumping ability, she gets lost around the basket with bigger/stronger players. She's either unable or uncomfortable shooting the 15 footer. If she develops that shot, it will open up other opportunities.

For now, she'll excel against average teams, but struggle to get quality minutes in the big games until she develops more weapons.
How many "big games" will there be this season?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As Geno has said people fail to remember that Gabby lost two plus years of development to injuries and recovery. Her athleticism is off the charts her head and heart (trusting her body) is just now catching up.

For those who forget too easily or missed them Gabby does now have the 12-15 pull up now and has hit several this season. Unfortunately, people remember misses more than remembering makes.

Gabby's shooting percentage is still very good just not the .650ish she hovered around last year. That is to be expected as she expands her shooting range. She does not have KLS's range and so against the zone the minutes to KLS make great sense.

Reaction Score
a game against Colgate, isn't this a great time for Gabby to "practice" on being creative against "a zone"... its not like UConn was going to lose
Geno does not seem to work that way at all. He's much more inclined to pull a player against a weak team for making errors than to let them "play through". I don't know if he's ever expounded on this, but Bob Knight used to say something on the order of that if you keep practicing badly, you're learning how to do it badly.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Not many now. Maybe Fla St. and Maryland. SCAR will be a challenge for her. After that, we'll have to wait for the Sweet Sixteen.
Don't forget a probable three games against South Florida.

Reaction Score
I can understand how KML would help break the Zone. I'm not sure what Kiah Stokes would have done for us on offense- she was terrible with the ball in her hands, and couldn't hit shots consisrently from outside of 4-6'?
Kiah would have made it difficult of those driving to the basket to score--she did that regularly and well. As a down low scorer she was exceptional as she proved in her final (NC) game against ND, while accepting passes and scoring (good hands). She had proven that she could score the 3 and shoot from 10 feet but got chewed pretty good from Geno in the Stanford game after taking and missing (rolled around the rim) a 10 ft shot.
-ista, Reality--perception!! She could, she does hit the long shot. Lambeer didn't teach her to shoot that shot, she had it--he only gave her the green light to shoot it. Comfortable with it?? Who knows. She scored those shot regularly in HS. Perception?? REality?? Playing in the shadows of KML and Stewie it wasn't necessary for her to shoot beyond a layup. Reality?? Perception??

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno gave her the green light, too. She chose not to it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
BTW, after 7 games Gabby's shooting % is .612 compared to last year's .637. That is hardly something to scoff at while she has been playing the role of starter.

Reaction Score
BTW, after 7 games Gabby's shooting % is .612 compared to last year's .637. That is hardly something to scoff at while she has been playing the role of starter.

I would be interested to see her %'s against Neb., DePaul and ND...especially in the first half of those games.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I would be interested to see her %'s against Neb., DePaul and ND...especially in the first half of those games.
Once doesn't measure shooting performance by halves. It is always possible to select a period to show bad performance.

Reaction Score
I am confused about this thread. Why would Geno even care about what Gabby did against a tube of 'Dental Cream".

Reaction Score
Once doesn't measure shooting performance by halves. It is always possible to select a period to show bad performance.

Why not? Those games were more competitive in the first half...maybe thru 3 quarters. Her shooting % seems to improve once the game is out of reach.

Reaction Score
Collier starting for Gabby tonight. Geno says he wants to bring Gabby off the bench to spark the offense.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Why not? Those games were more competitive in the first half...maybe thru 3 quarters. Her shooting % seems to improve once the game is out of reach.
Not by much. Gabby's at 58% this year in the 1st quarter, a pct. that most players would be happy with even if it doesn't quite reach her 61% overall average. Make one more shot in the 1st quarter and she's above her season's average. And why did you exclude Ohio State on Gabby's breakdown against good teams since they're a Top 10 team and the Huskers aren't even ranked? Against the three you cited she's only 7-15, but throw in the Buckeyes and she's 12-24, and most players would be happy enough to shoot 50% against those four strong teams. She's often been a beast out there early on.

UConn still has 5 more scheduled games with ranked opponents this year, and anyone who actually watched how tough USF played UConn in their last encounter last season may not want to pooh-pooh the chances that the Bulls will do the same when they get everything together later in the year. BYers used to slight both Rutgers and ND on their way up, and then things got testy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom