Why Warde won't fire PP now... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why Warde won't fire PP now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Must be tough having your grandfather coaching the team and you have to read our crap everyday, yes?

Reaction Score
Again I say: is there any evidence that the powers that be are very unhappy with PP?

Temple, USF, Buffalo, and Memphis are all bad teams. It is not inconceivable that UConn wins those 4 games. Does 4-8 get PP fired? I wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt.
4-8 Doesn't get P fired? Sportstart is right Vowelguy..you DEFINITELY need to put that crack pipe down!!! No bowl means he is FIRED...less than 8 wins...FIRED!!! This isn't Manuel's guy..he has ZERO loyalty to him! And an empty stadium week after week has McHugh losing P's number pretty quick now. Face FACTS...Face REALITY the announcement that this staff is done will be given by the Memphis game at the latest, most likely following the Temple or Rutgers game.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Under his watch, UConn athletics have gone from national power to midmajor disaster. The only way he leaves UConn is if he gets fired. Would you hire him as your AD if you were a P5 school after seeing him get pummeled by the ACC?

He may have been in office, but he was not the cause. And Mid major is determined by athletic dept. budget.
The basketball team would have made the Tournament last year and they are expected to go deep this year.
He did not hire "Coach" Pasqualoni.
He is not calling or executing the plays on the field.

This is a low point in UConn football to be sure, but Warde Manuel was hired as the ship was running headlong into murky waters and just as it cannot turn on a dime, neither can the Football program. I was not extraordinarily happy with the decision to keep the "leader" of the football coaching staff after last season, but I can certainly understand the decision. Personally, what Mr. Manuel does going forward will determine my future level of support for this particular team.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You lost all credibility with that statement.
There's NO way that WM fires him after a 7-5 season.

There's no way he wins 7. I'm not saying this team can't win 7. I'm saying the team is the boat. The skipper is "Coach" Pasqualoni. The Skipper cannot steer his ship to 7 wins...more like Francesco Schettino, pushing team members overboard so he can save himself.

Reaction Score
There's no way he wins 7.

I agree.
But we were talking about what it would take for PP to get fired. It sure as hell won't be 7-5, and probably wouldn't be 6-6 either.

Reaction Score
You guys all assume Warde Manuel is competent when you say PP is getting fired at the end of the season. I wouldn't assume that if I were you. A competent AD would fire Pasqualoni after a 4-8 or 5-7 season. 6-6 and a bowl win maybe saves him, tough to say. But that's not happening. I'm just not convinced Warde Manuel is a competent AD.

And they're not going to fire him just because he gets blown out by Michigan. If they haven't fired him yet, they won't fire him after the Michigan game (barring him doing something completely unprofessional like punching the opposing coach.) Most people didn't expect us to beat Michigan, even at the beginning of the season. If Manuel didn't think there was reason to fire him already, he won't have any more reason to fire him after a loss to Michigan. If we then lose to Buffalo, maybe PP's job is in trouble. But again, that requires Manuel to be competent.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I agree.
But we were talking about what it would take for PP to get fired. It sure as hell won't be 7-5, and probably wouldn't be 6-6 either.

I think the decision has already been made. The only decision left is when to execute it.

This is not a 1992 San Diego Chargers. There is some, but very little doubt (even by those In The Know), that "Coach" Pasqualoni has probably lost his team. Even Desmond Conner is beginning to question it. Those of us using our tickets are not at the games to be entertained by the product on the field, but to get together with friends and picnic in the parking lot. The game is a side show, a distraction. I doubt this has been lost on the Athletic Department. It is as clear as day to the lay person. If "Coach" Pasqualoni is retained after a mediocre year with "his" players, The athletic Department knows that donations and ticket revenue (all they entitled to, unless the lease agreement at the Rent has changed under Global Spectrum), will all but dry up.

Reaction Score
I think the decision has already been made.

And you're basing this on .... ?

We're back to my original question: is there ANY evidence of displeasure from the powers that be?

Husky25

Reaction Score

We're back to my original question: is there ANY evidence of displeasure from the powers that be?

Other than Mr. Manuel's recent comments? Nothing. Conjecture. Opinion.

But why is my opinion any less credible than this opinion?
I'm just not convinced Warde Manuel is a competent AD.

Or this one?

Reaction Score
"I reserve the right..." Look it up. There is no reason for him to say he reserves the right to make changes during the season unless the hot seat is smoking hot.

If he pulls a miracle out of his ass and we go 7-6, after a bowl win, he still is gone. 17-20 is not progress.

You are either new or foolish to think PP has a chance of getting to year 4 of his contract. He, and his butt buddy GDL, has lost the respect of the team, the donors and the fans.

I'll make you a bet. If PP is here next year I'll go silent for 3 months. If he's gone, you go find a new team to support. Deal....?

Reaction Score
If Pasqualoni goes 7-6 he should be fired. But the key word is "should." I'm not convinced Manuel will actually do so. He's a horrible AD, so just because it's logical doesn't mean he will do it.

Only a fool would keep Pasqualoni around with fewer than 8 wins this year. Which is exactly why Manuel might do it.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If Pasqualoni goes 7-6 he should be fired. But the key word is "should." I'm not convinced Manuel will actually do so. He's a horrible AD, so just because it's logical doesn't mean he will do it.

Only a fool would keep Pasqualoni around with fewer than 8 wins this year. Which is exactly why Manuel might do it.
Let's turn Vowelguy's question on you...

Reaction Score

Not sure how you can say WM is a horrible AD. He has been here, what 18 months or so, and did the right thing with KO, and had no part of hiring PP. While he let PP stay after 2 bad years, it's not unusual to let a bad coach have a 3rd year.

People are in such a microwave society, yes I said microwave, and don't realize Hathaway gets the full blame here.

What happens from here on out is all on Warde. Anyone want to bet some cash on whether PP is here next year. I'm taking all bets. All bets, that is, if they go 7-6 or worse. :cool:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
While he let PP stay after 2 bad years, it's not unusual to let a bad coach have a 3rd year.

People are in such a microwave society, yes I said microwave, and don't realize Hathaway gets the full blame here.

While it may not be "unusual" to let a bad coach have a 3rd year, it was so blatantly obvious last year that P was not only not the right guy to take us forward; he was killing the program. Bu giving him the 3rd year, WM took ownership of P. The full blame for this year's fiasco is on Warde.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Warde knows football. If he believes that PP has lost the team, and that they really won't play for him, I can see him giving TJ a shot after Michigan. If he sees the effort is there and the execution is not, I think PP stays, and is fired after the season.

If I was WM, I'd look at it like this. I don't know what I have in TJ. Can he be a head coach? How badly do I want to find out? Is the team more likely to win if i make a change? There is nothing to be gained from keeping PP on other than consistency. I doubt that if PP is canned at year end, Weist gets the job. There will be full search. Would Weist take the job on an interim basis? We don't know. Does he see any upside in that?

Reaction Score
Warde knows football. If he believes that PP has lost the team, and that they really won't play for him, I can see him giving TJ a shot after Michigan. If he sees the effort is there and the execution is not, I think PP stays, and is fired after the season.

If I was WM, I'd look at it like this. I don't know what I have in TJ. Can he be a head coach? How badly do I want to find out? Is the team more likely to win if i make a change? There is nothing to be gained from keeping PP on other than consistency. I doubt that if PP is canned at year end, Weist gets the job. There will be full search. Would Weist take the job on an interim basis? We don't know. Does he see any upside in that?

Interim head coach in his first year at a program would look great on a resume even if he didn't get the job next year

Reaction Score
We were discussing this at the game Saturday after the wheels fell off the wagon late 3rd quarter/early 4th. The guess as to when P would be let go. Opinions varied from end of season, before Memphis, this Sunday, but the general consensus was WM will announce PP is gone after the 7th loss of the season (once his 3rd straight losing season is cemented). We shall see, but that's what I'm guessing.

Husky25

Reaction Score

The truth is, there is more to being a head college coach than the plays called on the field (i.e. recruiting, delegating, public relations). I think if Coach Weist is tabbed an interim tag, he will undoubtedly be included in the nation-wide search.

I don't think Mr. McHugh will be a prominent figure in the hiring process for the next football coach. Remember, in January 2011 the top of UConn's Administration was in flux. President Herbst was just recently appointed (Didn't start on a full time basis until June), there was a Interim President, and a lame-duck Athletic Director. Regardless of President, Hathaway was gone. It took President Herbst a full 5 weeks to buy out the remainder of his contract.

Mr. Manuel was Herbst's "Rock Star" selection. She will undoubtedly stand behind him and she has built the cache to now do it with little interference from the Board.

Reaction Score

What's the upside to being consistently bad?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What's the upside to being consistently bad?

None, but yanking a coach has the possibility of making them even worse. In this case, I doubt it, but it is a possibility to be considered.

Reaction Score
After the product that has been on the field these past 2+ seasons there is no way he brings him back...especially after the start of this year! As for losing all credibility...I'm not the one who thinks P keeps his job with a 4 win season! Again like Sportstart said get off the crack pipe!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Firing a coach mid season would not be worse than retaining a dead man walking. When the writing is on the wall, it's better for the program to cut ties and start over.

Reaction Score
It's already taking too long to remedy Hathaway's parting gift.

The sooner the better for all concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom