Why Warde won't fire PP now... | The Boneyard

Why Warde won't fire PP now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I think he will wait until a couple weeks to go in the season before he pulls the trigger.

He got stuck with Ollie because of the late JC retirement and then Ollie went out, won and forced his hand.

Ollie will forever be JC's hire, not Warde's.

He won't fired PP after Michigan and then have TJ or whoever have any leverage.

He has one chance to put his stamp on UCONN athletics to use UCONN to get his next job. He will want total credit for it.

That's why the extra $150k of buyout doesn't matter. What matters is getting the right guy and for him to be Warde's guy.

Reaction Score
That is good unless TJ is already Ward's guy. From a career scenario, TJ could have landed other more glamorous places. Sure he was out of a job, but the guy was pretty good coach and did marvels with the receivers here already. Jumping on board with PP already sinking is probably not his first choice unless ........

Do you really think that PP voluntarily went out hired TJ and moved his buddy to the Oline.

There is a back story to go with that and we may soon find out what it is.

Reaction Score
If we lose to Michigan and it ain't pretty and some how manage to lose to lowly Buffalo we'll need to get Whaler11 working on Vegas odds for PP still being the coach when we open AAC play.

If you are a horse player you know that 1-9 pays $2.20 on a $2 wager to win. If the above scenario takes place I doubt you get better than 1-5 odds ($2.40 on a $2 bet that he gets fired)

If we get embarrassed Saturday 50-3 or something like that I say there's a good chance he's gone by Monday.

If we play respectable Saturday and beat Buffalo and may hang on until we lose to USF.

Reaction Score
That is good unless TJ is already Ward's guy. From a career scenario, TJ could have landed other more glamorous places. Sure he was out of a job, but the guy was pretty good coach and did marvels with the receivers here already. Jumping on board with PP already sinking is probably not his first choice unless ........

Do you really think that PP voluntarily went out hired TJ and moved his buddy to the Oline.

There is a back story to go with that and we may soon find out what it is.

Yup, and TJ was a Michigan guy too. A lot of smoke there.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's not the loss to Buffalo that screws the pooch. A win makes firing him more awkward. The 0-4 would empty the rent for the season. Fire him after a Michigan loss followed by a win st Buffalo saves the season from a fan interest perspective.

For all the true fan rants we've had the past few weeks, the fact is our FB fan base is still young and fragile.

0-4 with P means 2014 is done unless a Tressel like coach takes the job. And only a good season in 2014 makes 2015 an attractive ticket.

This is year 3 of the nose dive and in hindsight, it is very clear how devastating it has been. 1-3 still means 6-6 is possible if unlikely.

Waiting out the season is bad for WM.

Reaction Score
A loss to Buffalo and we lose everybody, the players, the students and almost all of the fans. It will get ugly. If we lose to Michigan, which is a likely scenario we near bottom. Do we really need to see more and hit the absolute bottom? 0-12 is not out of the question. Firing p after 0-3 can do no more harm then keeping him. I say you roll the dice, cut pgdl loose and see if lightning strikes. What's the alternative? More of the same? For me it's a no brainier. Now p could pull off one of his head scratching wins. Should that happen we all need to wait until the end of November for change.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
A loss to Buffalo and we lose everybody, the players, the students and almost all of the fans. It will get ugly. If we lose to Michigan, which is a likely scenario we near bottom. Do we really need to see more and hit the absolute bottom? 0-12 is not out of the question. Firing p after 0-3 can do no more harm then keeping him. I say you roll the dice, cut pgdl loose and see if lightning strikes. What's the alternative? More of the same? For me it's a no brainier. Now p could pull off one of his head scratching wins. Should that happen we all need to wait until the end of November for change.

Beat Michigan and he gets a chance to make a bowl game which gives him a chance to save his job, assuming I'm not appointed AD before then.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If we lose to Michigan and it ain't pretty and some how manage to lose to lowly Buffalo we'll need to get Whaler11 working on Vegas odds for PP still being the coach when we open AAC play.

If you are a horse player you know that 1-9 pays $2.20 on a $2 wager to win. If the above scenario takes place I doubt you get better than 1-5 odds ($2.40 on a $2 bet that he gets fired)

If we get embarrassed Saturday 50-3 or something like that I say there's a good chance he's gone by Monday.

If we play respectable Saturday and beat Buffalo and may hang on until we lose to USF.

I'm buying your scenario over sd's. If we put up a fight, P lives to fight another day. If it's like, say, the last two Cincy games. He has to go.

One thing that needs to be factored, is that P should have been canned last year. He is now Warde's guy. Warde should forget worrying about getting credit for the new hire, he should worry about the stench that is enveloping him now.

Reaction Score
Warde owns this season, it's completely on him. There was an outcry to fire him last year too,but he thought it would be bad for stability to fire him.

Losing is bad for stability too.

One of our biggest offensive threats isn't even close to being 100% physically. I have no confidence in this game being winnable.

When Warde fires him, I have little doubt that he will allow him to finish out the season.

Reaction Score
The problem with these threads is that they presume PP is dead man walking. Dont get me wrong, I think he needed to be gone yesterday, but is there any evidence that WM, the admin, or even the world outside this board agrees with that notion?

My fear is that this team scrapes together 5-7 and PP floats for another season.

Reaction Score
The problem with these threads is that they presume PP is dead man walking. Dont get me wrong, I think he needed to be gone yesterday, but is there any evidence that WM, the admin, or even the world outside this board agrees with that notion?

My fear is that this team scrapes together 5-7 and PP floats for another season.

Warde's latest comment seems to indicate that.

Reaction Score

Put down the crack pipe.

Reaction Score
Its going to take more effort than the "Wizzard of Oz" to make this season a success. The only thing the "Wizzard" could do was get Dorothy back home to Kansas.

Paul may be a great personable entity, but not so much of a coach.

I don't see us beating Rutgers, Cincinatti, USF, UCF, ECU, SMU, Louisville or Temple. Buffalo is a better MAC team than UConn. Memphis might be a challenge.

Now I know why the preseason conference rankings had UConn @ #7.

Paul goes home, probably at the end of the season. Changing coaches mid season would hurt the program even more......neither the players or coaches will concentrate on the present.......they have personal concerns regarding the future.

Reaction Score
Its going to take more effort than the "Wizzard of Oz" to make this season a success. The only thing the "Wizzard" could do was get Dorothy back home to Kansas.

Paul may be a great personable entity, but not so much of a coach.

I don't see us beating Rutgers, Cincinatti, USF, UCF, ECU, SMU, Louisville or Temple. Buffalo is a better MAC team than UConn. Memphis might be a challenge.

Now I know why the preseason conference rankings had UConn @ #7.

Paul goes home, probably at the end of the season. Changing coaches mid season would hurt the program even more......neither the players or coaches will concentrate on the present.......they have personal concerns regarding the future.

If we get blown out by Michigan I don't see how Warde keeps PP. How, as a player, do you go to battle for a coach who is 100% dead man walking. When I say PP I mean GDL as well.

You need a team that will go to war for their coach. Not sure there are many on this team that would fight to save a job for a coach who has no chance of keeping his job at the end of the season.

Keep PP around and you start to grow a cancer in the locker room. Then it gets real ugly.

Reaction Score
Lots of interim coaches do well and still get walking papers. I think there is a better than 10% chance that Weist may be Warde's guy all along.

Reaction Score
Here is the problem if Warde cans both P and GDL after Saturday..or any other time in season. It puts us down 2 coaches..leaving the staff VERY short handed. Teams like Pitt and Cincy have done that for a bowl game...but you guys are talking about chnaging blocking schemes which will change how the plays are run (reads, holes shifting, etc...). As good as it sounds to let them both go...it will be better to get rid of one or the other. If the line continues to go into the can...Warde tells P GDL has to go..and Foley can move to ol or coach both te and ol. Maybe Fogarty moves to te and Perkins coaches db's or P takes over lb's and Wholley moves to te's. If Warde fires P then he can move either Weist (my choice) or HH into interim spot. You want to protect the integrity of the program by not causing it to go into total chaos by removing them both. Doing that will hurt recruiting down the road. After reading Warde's comments in the articles today it seems safe to say that there will be a new staff here next year...now all we have to do is ride out the storm...like when people don't heed a hurricane evacuation order. In the end those of us who ride this out will be better fans for it!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Here is the problem if Warde cans both P and GDL after Saturday..or any other time in season. It puts us down 2 coaches..leaving the staff VERY short handed.

Not a problem. I'm sure noted football man Larry McHugh will pitch in.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He has one chance to put his stamp on UCONN athletics to use UCONN to get his next job. He will want total credit for it.

How is the UConn AD's job a stepping stone for Warde Manuel (or any other coach for that matter)?

Manuel is not getting another AD job for quite some time if the new football coach does not pan out. You've implied this. But, if Manuel hits the proverbial homerun, and Herbst is successful in obtaining AAU status, UConn will get a seat at the table in short order. No question. 3 out of the last 4 AD's (not counting interims) were long time ADs. I don't see UConn as a stepping stone by any measure, even in the AAC.

Reaction Score
How is the UConn AD's job a stepping stone for Warde Manuel (or any other coach for that matter)?

Manuel is not getting another AD job for quite some time if the new football coach does not pan out. You've implied this. But, if Manuel hits the proverbial homerun, and Herbst is successful in obtaining AAU status, UConn will get a seat at the table in short order. No question. 3 out of the last 4 AD's (not counting interims) were long time ADs. I don't see UConn as a stepping stone by any measure, even in the AAC.

Under his watch, UConn athletics have gone from national power to midmajor disaster. The only way he leaves UConn is if he gets fired. Would you hire him as your AD if you were a P5 school after seeing him get pummeled by the ACC?

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
TJ is the go to guy when the hits the fan,said it all along,young energetic and ready to go.

Reaction Score

Lose to USF, come on give them a break please.

Reaction Score
Put down the crack pipe.

Again I say: is there any evidence that the powers that be are very unhappy with PP?

Temple, USF, Buffalo, and Memphis are all bad teams. It is not inconceivable that UConn wins those 4 games. Does 4-8 get PP fired? I wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt.

Reaction Score
Again I say: is there any evidence that the powers that be are very unhappy with PP?

Temple, USF, Buffalo, and Memphis are all bad teams. It is not inconceivable that UConn wins those 4 games. Does 4-8 get PP fired? I wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt.

No way. He'd have to go 8-4 to have a chance to survive this year. Too much of the same. The lack of energy and excitement has to drive Warde crazy. He was a B1G football player for God sake. He knows this staff isn't the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom