Why UConn Number 9 | The Boneyard

Why UConn Number 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We have Breanna. She is a game changer and no other team has a game changer. The best comment I've heard all season is from Becca when she said Breanna is DT at 6'4. She can score at will and from anywhere. You cant stop her and no other team has a player like her. Surround Breanna with UConns starting lineup and you have an almost impossible matchup problem.

Add the fact that UConn has a great point guard in MoJeff who can run the team along with Bria Saniya and BB who make very few turnovers and add to that our height which intimidates shooters from almost anywhere and I don't see a team that can compete with UConn unless UConn has injuries or big time foul trouble.

ND is good but no where near UConn. If Duke played defense like ND that would be a great matchup. Louisville is a very good team with balance and great outside shooting which opens up the middle however they lack a big in the middle. A Louisville ND matchup in the FF would be a great game.

This is why I believe its UConn and everybody else. IMO let everybody else battle it out to face UConn in the FF. UConn has proven they can beat anybody home or away with or without KML and Tuck and it certainly looks like KML will be back. So let Louisville ND Stanford Baylor Duke and South Carolina battle it out to have a legit chance to make the FF and place UConn in Nebraska giving every other top team a chance in a competitive game to reach the FF.

Just my thoughts folks. I think its fair and reasonable and lets face it WCBB needs some competitive games and hype leading up to the FF. Having teams ranked 2-6 face each other in the Regionals will draw fans knowing that their team has a chance to make the FF. Placing UConn in ND or Louisville defeats that purpose because UConn will win that game and eliminate a very good team who should be in the FF and replace them with a team who most likely wouldn't have made the FF. JMO your thoughts

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The committee will come to the same inevitable conclusion Tony.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
As always in your exuberance to proclaim the future glories for UConn you gloss over the really important fact here. Yes we have Breanna but we don't have DT. Notre Dame does.

Diamond Thompson. Alright, she's at the end of the ND bench averaging 0.3 ppg with 0 assists and 5 TOs, but she anchors the span of pine that is rumored to be set to destroy UConn in the tourney. Bring out the worry towels.

Reaction Score
I've watched a weakness in UConn's offense that has been capitalized on recently and that's the mid-range jumper. The first time it was used against us, it was pretty effective. This last game at Houston, Geno had a better time shutting it down (but not completely). I am hoping that this is something Geno has been working on. Outside and inside shots no problem, but UConn has just started getting to defend the midrange jumpers. I am willing to bet Louisville will be trying to use it against us. Hopefully Geno can perfect something before then and the championship games. It seems to be our last weakness on defense. I see it as something that can be exploited if not addressed.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
True, but the Cougars still shot only 27%, and if the posts cheat out a little further to put increased pressure on the lower percentage mid range jumper, they may sacrifice a bit giving up a few more high percentage layups. So it's always a balancing act and a constantly shifting change-up on D.

But the first time I noticed that mid range jumper being used very effectively against the Huskies was in the first Rutgers game by Scaife and Copper, and it's likely that they will try to exploit it again on Saturday.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I've watched a weakness in UConn's offense defense that has been capitalized on recently and that's the mid-range jumper. The first time it was used against us, it was pretty effective. This last game at Houston, Geno had a better time shutting it down (but not completely). I am hoping that this is something Geno has been working on. Outside and inside shots no problem, but UConn has just started getting to defend the midrange jumpers. I am willing to bet Louisville will be trying to use it against us. Hopefully Geno can perfect something before then and the championship games. It seems to be our last weakness on defense. I see it as something that can be exploited if not addressed.

Reaction Score
During the Houston Game it looked like the Huskies were making an effort to adjust for it. Not quite there yet tho.
I agree with you that we will definitely see the teams from now on try to exploit this. I know it's a low percentage of the shots, but they have been uncontested for the most part and opposing teams need anything they can get. They can't foul us too well but won't stop trying.

Reaction Score
We have Breanna. She is a game changer and no other team has a game changer. The best comment I've heard all season is from Becca when she said Breanna is DT at 6'4. She can score at will and from anywhere. You cant stop her and no other team has a player like her. Surround Breanna with UConns starting lineup and you have an almost impossible matchup problem.

Add the fact that UConn has a great point guard in MoJeff who can run the team along with Bria Saniya and BB who make very few turnovers and add to that our height which intimidates shooters from almost anywhere and I don't see a team that can compete with UConn unless UConn has injuries or big time foul trouble.

ND is good but no where near UConn. If Duke played defense like ND that would be a great matchup. Louisville is a very good team with balance and great outside shooting which opens up the middle however they lack a big in the middle. A Louisville ND matchup in the FF would be a great game.

This is why I believe its UConn and everybody else. IMO let everybody else battle it out to face UConn in the FF. UConn has proven they can beat anybody home or away with or without KML and Tuck and it certainly looks like KML will be back. So let Louisville ND Stanford Baylor Duke and South Carolina battle it out to have a legit chance to make the FF and place UConn in Nebraska giving every other top team a chance in a competitive game to reach the FF.

Just my thoughts folks. I think its fair and reasonable and lets face it WCBB needs some competitive games and hype leading up to the FF. Having teams ranked 2-6 face each other in the Regionals will draw fans knowing that their team has a chance to make the FF. Placing UConn in ND or Louisville defeats that purpose because UConn will win that game and eliminate a very good team who should be in the FF and replace them with a team who most likely wouldn't have made the FF. JMO your thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom