Why there's no season tix yet | The Boneyard

Why there's no season tix yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After speaking to the ticket office about why there's no season tix yet, they replied that the AD is trying to find ways to enhance the game day experience for season ticket holders. The problem of course, is money. They listed *possible* things they'd like to do, like extended tailgating hours. They cited the extra bucks they'd have to spend for police, parking, etc. It costs 100,000 per game just to use the field. They get zero dollars from parking and zero dollars from the concessions.
My take is that they are probably not going to drop prices, but do what they can to give us as much bang for our buck without breaking an already strained bank. On another related note, they are finally going ahead with plans (that are at least two years old) to deploy a mobile Dairy Bar truck. I know it was on the drawing board a while ago, but it appears to be coming back around. Like, money is committed and they're building the trucks this time. That'll be a nice addition.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The fact that they can't 'fix' parking tells you everything you need to know about how that facility is run. First of all, the amount of cops at the entrance is absurd - that needs to be reduced, which would free up cash. Second, UCONN should suggest to building management that they put the damn parking contract back out to bid if Laz won't accommodate their primary tenant. And third, barring the first two things - why can't they set aside one lot that opens early. You wouldn't need as much police / parking and they could charge accordingly (although I am sure I can build a business case where an appropriately staggered opening of lots wouldn't cost $1 extra).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
After speaking to the ticket office about why there's no season tix yet, they replied that the AD is trying to find ways to enhance the game day experience for season ticket holders. The problem of course, is money. They listed *possible* things they'd like to do, like extended tailgating hours. They cited the extra bucks they'd have to spend for police, parking, etc. It costs 100,000 per game just to use the field. They get zero dollars from parking and zero dollars from the concessions.
My take is that they are probably not going to drop prices, but do what they can to give us as much bang for our buck without breaking an already strained bank. On another related note, they are finally going ahead with plans (that are at least two years old) to deploy a mobile Dairy Bar truck. I know it was on the drawing board a while ago, but it appears to be coming back around. Like, money is committed and they're building the trucks this time. That'll be a nice addition.

I have been harping on these two things, among others, for YEARS now. Would love to see both actually happen.

Dooley

Reaction Score
If you only opened the lots earlier for season ticket holders (blue parking as an example), you'd get more people to buy season tickets - and give them something that would actually be valuable to them.

Bingo. Plus, it offers UConn an opportunity to broaden their season ticket radius to fans who live farther away from East Hartford.

Reaction Score
If you only opened the lots earlier for season ticket holders (blue parking as an example), you'd get more people to buy season tickets - and give them something that would actually be valuable to them.

I was about to post something very similar. All you have to do is have a "premium lot" and charge a little extra to cover the cost of the additional man hours of 4 troopers sitting in their cars, and 2 idiots in yellow jackets driving a golf cart! Don't make the average fan absorb that cost. Have an additional carrot like limiting the number of premium passes you sell and make them available to the most tenured season tix holders first then open it up to others if available. Watch how quickly those passes become
the hottest ticket in town because it will be "the place to be" which will drive demand.

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
I was about to post something very similar. All you have to do is have a "premium lot" and charge a little extra to cover the cost of the additional man hours of 4 troopers sitting in their cars, and 2 idiots in yellow jackets driving a golf cart! Don't make the average fan absorb that cost. Have an additional carrot like limiting the number of premium passes you sell and make them available to the most tenured season tix holders first then open it up to others if available. Watch how quickly those passes becomes the hottest ticket in town because it will be "the place to be" which will drive demand.

I'd say make extended tailgating part of the incentive package to sell season tickets. All season tickets. Including Top of the Rent and Young Alumni season tickets. And when they're bussing in student season ticket holders, set up an extended tailgating lot for them too. Let's worry about selling season tickets first and offering season ticket holders as many perks as possible before we turn this into a premium/VIP thing.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of staggered opening of lots. You can def recoup the extra money for the big hats and the yellow jacket squad with extra parking money. Want to tailgate longer? Great. It's going to cost more. I'd be more than willing to pay to tailgate earlier.

Dooley

Reaction Score
WOO HOO!! I will buy their biggest chocolate ice cream cone every game!

I'll meet you there. We've had years to dedicate a space for casual fans to mingle by the scoreboard. Now, we will finally have a space for ice cream fans to huddle around!

Reaction Score
I'd say make extended tailgating part of the incentive package to sell season tickets. All season tickets. Including Top of the Rent and Young Alumni season tickets. And when they're bussing in student season ticket holders, set up an extended tailgating lot for them too. Let's worry about selling season tickets first and offering season ticket holders as many perks as possible before we turn this into a premium/VIP thing.

I agree, helping out the students should b part of the plan as long as the first bus doesn't leave until 1 hr after the game!

Reaction Score
If they end up levying a surcharge per season ticket account I wouldn't have a problem paying $20-$25 .... if this is where the $$ needs to come from. Like WestHartHusk posted this is what's wrong with how this facility is managed...the CRDA is a complete and utter joke! Rentschler should be handed over to UCONN for them to run and maintain it.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I agree, helping out the students should b part of the plan as long as the first bus doesn't leave until 1 hr after the game!

I was encouraged to see this issue addressed on the questionnaire survey they passed out a while ago. At least they know this is an issue and are, hopefully, trying to figure out how to best address it. It seems like halting the bus schedules back to campus until after the game, even if it means that busses should get their own dedicated lane (like a stadium Diamond Lane) to get out of Dodge quicker, should be towards the top of the list to improve gameday atmosphere.

Reaction Score
The real question I have regarding all of the additional parking staff and police presence required for The Rent on game day is: what metric is being used to determine the manpower, thus the cost? I mean... compare our 20-30,000 fans to any big time program with 75-100,000+ and tell me how they can possibly pay for the same proportionately similar numbers based on the attendance differences? I Have to assume the State Police dictate this requirement but who knows.....

Reaction Score
The real question I have regarding all of the additional parking staff and police presence required for The Rent on game day is: what metric is being used to determine the manpower, thus the cost? I mean... compare our 20-30,000 fans to any big time program with 75-100,000+ and tell me how they can possibly pay for the same proportionately similar numbers based on the attendance differences? I Have to assume the State Police dictate this requirement but who knows.....

I know for the FD at least it's negotiated long ahead of time and the number of fireman (which are also the paramedics), is variable on the expected attendance. We've had as few as 10 guys there for poorly attended events to prob 20+ for the bigger ones. There's minimums you have to deal with... like you have to have an engine company (for fire suppression) regardless of how many people there. Medical teams consisting of one EMT and one Paramedic are variable though. From one to 5 for a full house. I assume the PD has some kind of similar deal. Now EHPD also has minimums because they are putting a cop on every corner in the town it seems. The big hats I have no idea what it is they do. Prob run around telling everyone that they have big hats, I suppose.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I don't like getting upset at things beyond my control but it pisses me off that UConn doesn't manage the Rent. The folks that do do NOT have the best interest of fans at heart.

Anyway I'm glad they are thinking of "pot sweeteners", and as others have mentioned, there are easy ways to mitigate the costs of extended tailgate (just include us poors in Gray Lot :) )

Reaction Score
could be a good opp for Suzy and Warde to act like a P5 program, and not a mid-major. The fact that UConn gets ZERO from parking or concessions is shocking. We're making a fraction of what P5 programs without including the gameday experience - now I learn we actually have to pay to put on a game? We're better off playing road games!

Reaction Score
Oh, and tell Warde I have some ideas:

everyone gets in for free. If you leave before end of Q1, you pay $200/pp. If you leave after Q2, you pay $150. If you leave before half ends, you pay $100. If you leave before end of Q3, you pay $75. If you leave at end of game, you pay $25.

Anyone in the parking lot more than 5 mins after kickoff pays another $25 fee.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Oh, and tell Warde I have some ideas:

everyone gets in for free. If you leave before end of Q1, you pay $200/pp. If you leave after Q2, you pay $150. If you leave before half ends, you pay $100. If you leave before end of Q3, you pay $75. If you leave at end of game, you pay $25.

Anyone in the parking lot more than 5 mins after kickoff pays another $25 fee.

LOL. Believe me, I'd love to see something like this!

Add: if you don't have a voice as you leave the stadium, you pay $15.

Reaction Score
Or guys we can get to the real issue of putting a stadium in Storrs. UConn needs to get permission from the state to operate as its own entity, kick the Mansfield town board to the curb, and start operating like a real public university. There is plenty of space if you configure it right in Storrs to build a decent sized stadium. That way UConn can reap the money from the parking, lower the prices for the fans and students so more will go, and create their own atmosphere, not the one provided by the State of CT or whoever manages the Rent (msg?).

Reaction Score
Did Laz buy the rights? Do they expire? Do they share with state?

Reaction Score
After a game last year we're waiting for traffic to clear and smoking cigars. Area is clean, no excessive drinking, being good citizens. Parking attendants came by and wanted us out ASAP. Pretty clear their schedule was a hell of a lot more important than our experience as patrons. Damn customer!!

I wonder if these guys and Ward realize that we all have about 1 million other things we can do with our time and money. They are about as far away from duck*ing business people as they can possibly be. Not a duck*ing clue!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Or guys we can get to the real issue of putting a stadium in Storrs. UConn needs to get permission from the state to operate as its own entity, kick the Mansfield town board to the curb, and start operating like a real public university. There is plenty of space if you configure it right in Storrs to build a decent sized stadium. That way UConn can reap the money from the parking, lower the prices for the fans and students so more will go, and create their own atmosphere, not the one provided by the State of CT or whoever manages the Rent (msg?).
Unless one of us wins powerball tonight, can we stop beating this dead horse? Not even remotely possible for the next 25 years. Much more productive and impactful to figure out how to improve game day at the Rent. No offense to you or other gay milkmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom