Why the ACC took Louisville | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Why the ACC took Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It makes me smile to know you are surrounded by Buckeye Nuts 24/7...

Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg

I used to work for a co. whose corporate office is in CBus, and yesterday and today drove from Louisville > Cleveland and back. I probably saw 846948765398746398475632086 tOSU stickers, plates, flags, etc etc. Enjoy!!!

Yes, I very much enjoyed the 2014 Orange Bowl; you?

Reaction Score
Yes, I very much enjoyed the 2014 Orange Bowl; you?

I'll use your line; "I didn't care."

CLEM vs tOSU?? ACC lightweight wannabee heavyweight vs the jackass Buckeyes? Barf.

Reaction Score
I should say this tho, it also makes me smile to know you WERE in that sea of Buckeyes, and were able to ((Hopefully)) rub their noses in the loss vs CLEM.

I do love the B1G, but there are some schools that I can never force myself to pull for. IU, ILL, MSU, tOSU....

Go VT!

Reaction Score
I should say this tho, it also makes me smile to know you WERE in that sea of Buckeyes, and were able to ((Hopefully)) rub their noses in the loss vs CLEM.

I do love the B1G, but there are some schools that I can never force myself to pull for. IU, ILL, MSU, tOSU....

Go VT!

Your wish was fulfilled....I also root against Ohio State (learned at my father's knee). My dad's family is from Wisconsin but he was a black sheep Michigan grad. I raised a glass in the old man's memory.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
BC has ZERO stroke in the ACC. That cannot be reinforced enough.

Had the FSU-CU-GT-VPI-Miami voting bloc wanted UConn, you all would be in the ACC today. BC's position be damned. They are irrelevant, on and off the field. Regardless of what a Boston paper says.

Are you insinuating that the "FSU-CU-GT-VPI-Miami voting bloc" wanted UL instead? I think it was more the FSU-CU bloc with Miami going along with it. GT would want UConn because of better academics. VT would want anyone in the world except for Louisville.

Reaction Score
I'd definitely take him over Bowlsby, and I'd probably take him over Scott. But I certainly rank Delany and Slive above him.

Scott has the luxury of geography on his side. Who is the PAC's threat? So I don't know if Scott is a good commissioner or not. Bowlsby has the toughest job of any commissioner IMO. 1) Outside of Texas, all the states in the Big XII have rather small populations and markets, 2) they are surrounded by the SEC, B1G and PAC and 3) he has to deal with Texas.

Reaction Score
Scott has the luxury of geography on his side. Who is the PAC's threat? So I don't know if Scott is a good commissioner or not. Bowlsby has the toughest job of any commissioner IMO. 1) Outside of Texas, all the states in the Big XII have rather small populations and markets, 2) they are surrounded by the SEC, B1G and PAC and 3) he has to deal with Texas.

IIRC, Neinas got the Big XII GoR. Bowlsby blew the chance at having Cincy and Louisville flank WVU.

Given the increase in broadcast rights fees across the board, I don't think Scott fully monetized Colorado's addition, perhaps because Utah just isn't worth that much. And there was that possibility of a Pac 14/16 that never came to fruition.

Swofford deserves some credit for holding things together amidst great turmoil. So far, he still has some valuable property in his domain. (He also has WF and BC, of course. )

Reaction Score
BC has ZERO stroke in the ACC. That cannot be reinforced enough.

Had the FSU-CU-GT-VPI-Miami voting bloc wanted UConn, you all would be in the ACC today. BC's position be damned. They are irrelevant, on and off the field. Regardless of what a Boston paper says.
UConn and Syracuse were the first two choices in the early stages. The problem with UConn was 1) BC did not want any interference on their turf and 2) There was a suitable replacement for UConn in Pitt.

Schools tend to listen to other schools who bark on someone being added who is within their footprint unless the alternatives suck.

If you don't want to believe this is how it went down, then there's not much I can do to sway you. So be it.

Reaction Score
Are you insinuating that the "FSU-CU-GT-VPI-Miami voting bloc" wanted UL instead? I think it was more the FSU-CU bloc with Miami going along with it. GT would want UConn because of better academics. VT would want anyone in the world except for Louisville.

I am not insinuating it. I am flatly saying it.

While you'd think that Tech would prefer UConn's high academic standards, they threw in with the others in order to keep the ACC as a more Southern league. VPI wanted Louisville because of their more recent success on the gridiron, and, of their being a Southern school.

It was the NC schools, UVA, and, Maryland who all wanted UConn. The rest voted against them.

Reaction Score

The Pac have no threats.

Good gracious, Utah is only in the Pac because the proposed Pac-Big 12 South merger fell through. They were the Pac's Louisville, if you want to go that route.

Reaction Score
UConn and Syracuse were the first two choices in the early stages. The problem with UConn was 1) BC did not want any interference on their turf and 2) There was a suitable replacement for UConn in Pitt.

Schools tend to listen to other schools who bark on someone being added who is within their footprint unless the alternatives suck.

If you don't want to believe this is how it went down, then there's not much I can do to sway you. So be it.

And, if you believe that BC's barking is what kept UConn out of the ACC, theres nothing I can say to sway you.

Had the FSU-CU led group voted FOR UConn, BC would've been told to sit down and shut up. It really is that simple.

Reaction Score
I am not insinuating it. I am flatly saying it.

While you'd think that Tech would prefer UConn's high academic standards, they threw in with the others in order to keep the ACC as a more Southern league. VPI wanted Louisville because of their more recent success on the gridiron, and, of their being a Southern school.

It was the NC schools, UVA, and, Maryland who all wanted UConn. The rest voted against them.

You may want a history lesson on UL, Virginia Tech and the metro. Just google it for fun one day. Tech is not warm and fuzzy with UL and hasn't been since the late 80s.

Reaction Score
And, if you believe that BC's barking is what kept UConn out of the ACC, theres nothing I can say to sway you.

Had the FSU-CU led group voted FOR UConn, BC would've been told to sit down and shut up. It really is that simple.

He's talking about 2011 obviously.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
You may want a history lesson on UL, Virginia Tech and the metro. Just google it for fun one day. Tech is not warm and fuzzy with UL and hasn't been since the late 80s.

That can't be true. L'Ville fans tell me that they are universally loved.

Reaction Score
The ACC has apparently adopted an approach to realignment opposite to the rest of the P5. I say apparently because there is no articulated approach, and, to be fair, the B12 is more like a less active ACC than the SEC, B1G, or Pac. Whereas the P3 targets large, public institution readily identifiable with their state, the ACC targets institutions, primarily private, identified with cities rather than states. The ACC just does not give me a warm fuzzy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Of course but they didn't so BC was part of the anti UConn vote. BC had more impact in committee when they objected to UConn in favor of Pitt.

Reaction Score

Something is going on with VT animosity regarding Louisville. We've had an unprecedented number of Hokies come on to the UVA board wishing UVA luck in beating Louisville this week. We hardly ever have Hokies wishing UVA luck against anyone. It's not tons and tons but certainly more than we ever have. Hopefully the football team can beat Louisville. It will be a challenge though.

Reaction Score
Something is going on with VT animosity regarding Louisville. We've had an unprecedented number of Hokies come on to the UVA board wishing UVA luck in beating Louisville this week. We hardly ever have Hokies wishing UVA luck against anyone. It's not tons and tons but certainly more than we ever have. Hopefully the football team can beat Louisville. It will be a challenge though.

Below is a link that sheds some light on UL and VT. No love lost between the 2....

http://virginiatech.sportswar.com/f...eone-explain-our-relationship-with-Louisville

After you read the link, you understand when I say Go Hoos!!!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Apparently the Metro Conference was the forefather of Conference Realignment and everything that comes with it. . .

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19950202&slug=2102750

And of course there was a media entity pulling strings behind the scenes. . .

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/09/26/Colleges/Super-conference.aspx

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Interesting stuff. Seems like Raycom handed their manual over to ESpin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom