Why not more personnel shuffling on the offensive line? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why not more personnel shuffling on the offensive line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Husky,

What that should tell you is frightening - he is the 4th best OT on this roster. You'll see Gifford, Rutherford, Hopkins, even Hashemi at OT before you see MP in game action this year, but the very loud message is he is the 4th best at this stage. My goodness, we have work to do in terms of rebuilding an OL.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Honestly, that doesn't tell me that all. It just demonstrates the worthlessness of the two-deep,

There are only two reasons I can think of to put players you plan to redshirt on an active roster (and one ain't too logical).

1. It is mandated by rule (and i don't understand why it would) that the game depth chart must reflect practice.
2. One player cannot "back up" two positions on the two-deep (still farcical, but a tad more logical considering the NCAA).

My question still stands...why does a two deep depth chart for a game translate to practice reps?

If Peart is not next-man-up, my opinion is he should not be on the game roster.

Reaction Score
1. I am not here to advocate how worthy a depth chart might be. And I am not at practice, but my guess is you answered your Q in 2, above. If an OT were to go down, there would be a shuffling of players. Same can be said for a lot of positions. There's a 3rd CB, a 3rd WR, etc. If a guy goes down, you put in the next best player, not necessarily the guy listed on a depth chart. It happens at every level of FB.
2. When you scrimmage, you usually line up 2d O versus 1st D. That's where reps come in.
3. Not sure where this leads to game roster, but everyone is on the game roster - and you can play if you're not on the 2 deep.

Reaction Score
FWIW I also post regularly on a Nebraska football board and they are complaining about the same thing. Something about "rotating offensive linemen creating a lack of cohesiveness with the group" is the reason the UNL O-Line coach gave
Or it gives you multiple people that can play multiple positions. Look what the NFL has to do.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
1. I am not here to advocate how worthy a depth chart might be. And I am not at practice, but my guess is you answered your Q in 2, above. If an OT were to go down, there would be a shuffling of players. Same can be said for a lot of positions. There's a 3rd CB, a 3rd WR, etc. If a guy goes down, you put in the next best player, not necessarily the guy listed on a depth chart. It happens at every level of FB.
2. When you scrimmage, you usually line up 2d O versus 1st D. That's where reps come in.
3. Not sure where this leads to game roster, but everyone is on the game roster - and you can play if you're not on the 2 deep.

I can buy #2 above and it lines up with the second reason I gave as well. I know a player can absolutely play if they are not on the two deep, and a player can play out of position as compared to the two deep. I also understand that players planning to redshirt may still dress because they may be forced into action in an emergency.

Basically the two deep means nothing for me going forward except the expected starters, especially if second string lists expected redshirts.

Reaction Score
From last night:

>>Sophomore Trey Rutherford, listed as the second right tackle behind Andreas Knappe, got some playing time Saturday in Tyler Samra's spot at right guard. Now he's going to get a lot more time at guard. "He has to play more," Diaco said. "He's tough, strong, fast and quick. He's too good a player to be standing on the sideline watching the game so we need to get him in there at guard." Rutherford (6 feet 5, 300 pounds) played in 10 games as a true freshman and spent a lot of time at guard. Another sophomore, Steve Hashemi (6-6, 286) could see his time increase, too, on the offensive line, Diaco said. Hashem, from Trumbull, would see his time at left guard behind Tommy Hopkins. ... Diaco also confirmed junior offensive lineman Zach Rugg, like wide receiver Dhameer Bradley, is still part of the program but has stepped back to focus on academics. ...<<

Reaction Score
Without naming names, I'm guessing somewhere between 5-10 underclassmen with eligibility remaining will opt not to return for 2016.

Reaction Score
For the record, I believe even this is an overstatement

the two deep means nothing for me going forward except the expected starters

remember that we only recently moved Mayala on to the 2-deep and were showing Lucas as a starter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom