Why not more personnel shuffling on the offensive line? | The Boneyard

Why not more personnel shuffling on the offensive line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sometimes putting a player on the OL is like appointing them to the Supreme Court. I try to check the offensive line on each new series. It is virtually always the same five guys. Lots of back ups got in against UCF but mostly there doesn't seem to be anyone breaking in and getting some playing time.

Last week, Tommy Hopkins was noticeably struggling. Why not let him sit for a series and plug in someone else? Sometimes that good for both. The starter can reset, the new guys gets a few plays of live action and the ability to have his play assessed.

I am not talking about wholesale changes during the game. But on occasion, especially when the starter is having a wee bit of trouble, why not see if someone else can be more productive. And even if there isn't improvement it pays dividend down the road.

We do this constantly at WR, trying new guys and even running plays for them. Yes, there is a bigger risk at offensive line. But there is also a chance for a improvement. Both side of that coin need to be balanced.

Reaction Score
Can we just see less of everyone?

That's kind of what I'm saying. Although I would like to see more of Oak than we have. But the others? Either: we've seen enough (Rutherford, Gifford), guys haven't been able to get on the field in years (Schafenaker, Rugg, Nwokeji), or they're true freshmen.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Levy has been struggling for a month now; inconsistent at best. I think we all know the two-deep is not worth the paper it is printed on. Coach Diaco is quirky but even he will not put Matt Peart on the field as a FBS tackle at 263lbs. So the question remains, who is Levy's real back-up?

Reaction Score
Specifically, who would you like to see more of?
Rutherford.

To my eyes, from what I saw last year in games, he looked far more athletic than the two starting guards this year. I understand the coaches see these guys every day in practice and have come to the conclussion Hopkins and Samra are better perhaps they see Rutherford as a tackle. When the tackles screw up its very noticeable and I've seen people scream for Levy to be replaced but the far bigger problem continues to be the interior of the line. Vechery is probably the best of the 3, on some plays Hopkins looks really good pulling on others he looks like he cannot reset his feet as delayed blitzer or stunting lineman goes by him untouched.

Reaction Score
Levy has been struggling for a month now; inconsistent at best. I think we all know the two-deep is not worth the paper it is printed on. Coach Diaco is quirky but even he will not put Matt Peart on the field as a FBS tackle at 263lbs. So the question remains, who is Levy's real back-up?

The next OT in at this point is Gifford. They can move Knappe over to the left if they want to. Another option is moving Hopkins outside and getting Oak a good look at OG.

Reaction Score
Rutherford.

To my eyes, from what I saw last year in games, he looked far more athletic than the two starting guards this year. I understand the coaches see these guys every day in practice and have come to the conclussion Hopkins and Samra are better perhaps they see Rutherford as a tackle. When the tackles screw up its very noticeable and I've seen people scream for Levy to be replaced but the far bigger problem continues to be the interior of the line. Vechery is probably the best of the 3, on some plays Hopkins looks really good pulling on others he looks like he cannot reset his feet as delayed blitzer or stunting lineman goes by him untouched.

Rutherford is another case of abused redshirts. Two years in a row he has played spot minutes here and there. In this area, Diaco is Pasqualoni-esque in torching redshirts.

Reaction Score
Rutherford is another case of abused redshirts. Two years in a row he has played spot minutes here and there. In this area, Diaco is Pasqualoni-esque in torching redshirts.
I dont disagree.

Reaction Score
Specifically, who would you like to see more of?

The real answer is I'm not really sure. Rutherford would probably have been the choice on Saturday. Other OG possibilities are Rugg and Schafenacker (?). Gifford as a senior is a possibility when Levy struggles. Oak is suppose to be a very smart guy and may be be helpful in recognizing blitzes and calling line changes. Bockeloh is a OC/OG who has been in the system a while.

Guys can sometimes surprise you. Chris Meyers came out of nowhere to win the starting job at safety. Blidi stepped in against Baylor and looked like he belonged immediately. We're 3-5, finding out a little more about these lineman especially the under classmen, is something that Diaco seems to like to do, except when it comes to the offenive line. Just something to think about on a Monday morning.

Reaction Score

You have to cut Diaco some slack on the O-line as the roster was thin. Since Diaco arrived, 3 O-linemen weren't redshirted: Hashemi, Crozier, and Rutherford. Hashemi was used as a blocking TE his freshmen year and Crozier and Rutherford were needed to contribute. Crozier is on a probable injury redshirt this year so it's a mute point anyway.

One of the main problems for UConn's O-line depth is that 2 R-Srs, 1 R-Jr, and 1 R-So are not on the "listed" 2 deep, but 2 So, 1 R-Fr, and 1 Fr are.

Reaction Score

I'd arguer this statement as to 14. He played a lot last year, far more than this year. I was hoping they'd use this year to get his RS back, but he played more than spot minutes here and there in 14.

Reaction Score
You have to cut Diaco some slack on the O-line as the roster was thin. Since Diaco arrived, 3 O-linemen weren't redshirted: Hashemi, Crozier, and Rutherford. Hashemi was used as a blocking TE his freshmen year and Crozier and Rutherford were needed to contribute. Crozier is on a probable injury redshirt this year so it's a mute point anyway.

One of the main problems for UConn's O-line depth is that 2 R-Srs, 1 R-Jr, and 1 R-So are not on the "listed" 2 deep, but 2 So, 1 R-Fr, and 1 Fr are.
Fair points but to have Peart on the 2-deep serves no purpose. He hasn't and shouldn't play. Building depth does require giving some of these guys playing time. Just in case their is an injury.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I like that he is saying this, but Diaco is the head coach. Adjustments to person is under his charge. Cummings might have a say, but ultimatelyDuaco is the decision maker.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think we've come to find that the two deeps means nothing. My question is if this is so, why publish it?

Reaction Score
The 2 deep matters for reps. But be honest, does every coach in America worry about updating a 2 deep. And what happens when guys go down, does it mean the name behind his auto moves up - no! This is especially true on OL. If Levy was injured, we could just as easily see a shuffle along the line with a guard shifting over.

We've got a lot of problems right now. Getting Peart reps in practice is a potential answer to a long-term problem. Fretting over the maintenance of a list is not a problem in my book.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
FWIW I also post regularly on a Nebraska football board and they are complaining about the same thing. Something about "rotating offensive linemen creating a lack of cohesiveness with the group" is the reason the UNL O-Line coach gave

Reaction Score
FWIW I also post regularly on a Nebraska football board and they are complaining about the same thing. Something about "rotating offensive linemen creating a lack of cohesiveness with the group" is the reason the UNL O-Line coach gave

It's a balancing act. Neither extreme, constantly rotating or the supreme court method is optimum. You need to get back ups real live experience. But you also need give the primary group time to jell. We're on one extreme. I haven't a clue about the Huskers.

Reaction Score
Levy is a real weak cog in the line. Not sure if his head can process what is happening fast enough. Seems to be a step behind everything and unaware of anything outside of a 1 yard radius.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The 2 deep matters for reps. But be honest, does every coach in America worry about updating a 2 deep. And what happens when guys go down, does it mean the name behind his auto moves up - no! This is especially true on OL. If Levy was injured, we could just as easily see a shuffle along the line with a guard shifting over.

We've got a lot of problems right now. Getting Peart reps in practice is a potential answer to a long-term problem. Fretting over the maintenance of a list is not a problem in my book.
This doesn't make sense to me. What do practice reps have to do with the depth chart for specific games? Is it a rule that the Two Deep must reflect practice reps? The worst kept secret in the Shenkman Center is that, given his druthers, Diaco plans to redshirt undersized linemen. Why feign like he's going to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom