Why NBA is a Disgrace | The Boneyard

Why NBA is a Disgrace

Reaction Score
I know it's just a demonstration for the fans, but not playing any defense at all makes it a perversion of the very sport itself. They should call it the Dunking Contest Part Deux, or something....

upload_2017-2-20_9-19-42.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-20_9-19-33.png
    upload_2017-2-20_9-19-33.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 34

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Pretty much every time I am in my vehicle I listen to sports radio. Why, I have no idea. Because the overwhelming percentage of this stuff is about stupid interpersonal drivel between these overpaid brats and not the sport itself. The so-called Zen Master and Melo, how loud will the boos be for Kevin Durant, LeBron and his cause of the week. It is a very rare event for basketball skills and strategy get debated, discussed, described. Why? The NBA is a bad product. Pleasing the fans is a tertiary concern at best. To quote Geno: "Don't watch."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@bags27 if the All-star game made you sick just watch 5 seconds of this clip and think of the trickle down effect to HS level. This kid is actually named after two of the NBA best Lebron and Carmello.
That any adult would be OK with the way this kid is playing makes me sick.
That someone one the opposing team did not consider doing him harm is remarkable.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It's an All Star game, an exhibition. People pay a boatload of money to see fancy dunks and showmanship. Defense wins games, but offense sells tickets.

Maya scored 30 points in the last WNBA all star game, en route to a 117-112 victory which was modest compared to the previous years 125-124 game.

Reaction Score
I don't watch but that's because David Stern remade this attraction for kids and their kids by marketing his stars. I could care less about what Kevin Durant thinks of Michael Westbrook but kids do. They love dunks and 3's and personal celebrations. The people watching are the ones the NBA wants to reach. If you're not interested that's because they don't really care about you, me included.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Haven't watched the NBA with any consistency since Bird and Magic. Those were the best games!

I have occasionally watched when the Spurs have played. But I haven't done that in the last 4 years.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I know it's just a demonstration for the fans, but not playing any defense at all makes it a perversion of the very sport itself. They should call it the Dunking Contest Part Deux, or something....

View attachment 19959
No offense bags, but you could have chosen 100 other reasons other than the All Joke Game as to why the Dis-Association is horrible. At least the midseason NBA game has transformed itself into a pageant. Frankly no matter how bad and unwatchable the NBA game is it is still miles better than the travesty that is the NFL Vacation Game.

Reaction Score

View attachment 19959
N
This is not about basketball---the NBA hasn't been in a long time---it's about scoring--the more demonstrative the scoring (i.e. dunking) the greater the Fan's love it. Basketball in the College Men's game has been punished by this comparison of --more scoring, more dunks.
Now if the women lower the basket 6 inches --they can jump right in and join in to the world of Entertainment---we few purist still thinking Basketball is a sport will need to watch old footage of the Yankee Conf.

Reaction Score
If you are judging the state of a league based on their mid-season exhibition...you were looking for a reason to be mad.
Judge not --lest ye be judged!! As I judge the judging you seem to judge of those you perceived to have judged--but it's just a judgement call..

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On the OP - I stumbled onto the NBA all star game last year or the year before and I couldn't believe what it has become. I lasted about five minutes and will never tune in again - it is everything I hate about pro sports rolled into one dreadful exhibition of .... whatever, certainly not sport.

Reaction Score
N
This is not about basketball---the NBA hasn't been in a long time---it's about scoring--the more demonstrative the scoring (i.e. dunking) the greater the Fan's love it. Basketball in the College Men's game has been punished by this comparison of --more scoring, more dunks.
Now if the women lower the basket 6 inches --they can jump right in and join in to the world of Entertainment---we few purist still thinking Basketball is a sport will need to watch old footage of the Yankee Conf.

WBB is heading in the same direction as the NBA. The bump was a dance in the 70s, now it is the reason good players are on the bench. The intent was higher scoring, however that has somewhat backfired by taking the best players out of the game.

I doubt a rim 6 inches lower would add a significant amount of dunks to WBB. I am amazed how many people think a dunk is such an awesome accomplishment. I could dunk in 5th grade, it takes no skill (8 foot baskets at my playground).

Defensive 3 seconds could be next for WBB, when it happens Geno probably retires.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm not a big NBA fan, but I think it's worth noting that the two most consistently successful teams in recent history -- San Antonio and Golden State -- do play team basketball. There is a reason why Geno watches the Spurs practice and picks the brain of Gregg Popovich.

You certainly shouldn't judge any league by its all-star games. As Nan noted, the WNBA all-star game is of a similar quality. If WCBB ever instituted an East-West All-Star game that didn't count toward any long-term goal, it would be just as bad. Have you see NHL All-Star games? There is no hitting, and scores such as 12-9 are fairly typical. When MLB tried to get its All-Star game's outcome to have a very slight significance (the league that won would have its representative in the World Series have home field advantage), players and coaches complained that you can't treat an exhibition like a serious matter -- the two objectives are incompatible.

Recently, the Boston Celtics hired a young college coach in the Geno mold as their head coach. He has done better every season, and now the Celtics have the second best record in the Eastern Conference, without any recognizable "names" on their roster. (Well, I guess Isaiah Thomas is a recognizable name, but the name you recognize doesn't belong to the Celtics player who goes by that name.) Even at the NBA level, good basketball ultimately earns a team-based reward.

Reaction Score
WBB is heading in the same direction as the NBA. The bump was a dance in the 70s, now it is the reason good players are on the bench. The intent was higher scoring, however that has somewhat backfired by taking the best players out of the game.

I doubt a rim 6 inches lower would add a significant amount of dunks to WBB. I am amazed how many people think a dunk is such an awesome accomplishment. I could dunk in 5th grade, it takes no skill (8 foot baskets at my playground).

Defensive 3 seconds could be next for WBB, when it happens Geno probably retires.
Flash---geno loves the faster game!! Also my posting about the 6 inch drop was sarcastic in nature. Not something I was promoting.
I could dunk as a senior in HS --if i was cared there on the shoulders of my 6 ft 6 in center. it wasn't that much fun.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yes, it's an all-star game, but there used to be at least an implication of defense at times. People would at least pretend to try.

This year: 192-182, ten years ago 153-132, twenty years ago 132-120

Pretty soon the winning team will score 250.

Reaction Score
When MLB tried to get its All-Star game's outcome to have a very slight significance (the league that won would have its representative in the World Series have home field advantage), players and coaches complained that you can't treat an exhibition like a serious matter -- the two objectives are incompatible.

Don't try telling that to Pete Rose and Ray Fosse. Back when the Celtics and 76's were bitter rivals they would be scheduled as opponents for 3 preseason games; it was always ugly by the third game. Believe it or not there used to be a time in sports when professional athletes cared more about the sport itself and winning than about their brand and contract

Reaction Score
In their arrogance, they told Texas we'd have to allow unisex bathrooms or they'd sanction us, just like the NFL.
Can you imagine telling Texans we have to do what they say? Really isn't going too well for them down here.
We are having serious discussions about banning NFL and NBA games. There is a pretty large portion of our population that totally agrees. I know some don't agree, but in TX, this stuff goes over very poorly. Don't mess with Texas.

Oh yeah, this too:
Pigs get fat; hogs get slaughtered.
A worm is the only animal that can’t fall down.
Never sign nothing by neon.
Just because a chicken has wings don’t mean it can fly.
Keep your saddle oiled and your gun greased.
You can’t get lard unless you boil the hog.
If you cut your own firewood, it’ll warm you twice.
There’s more than one way to break a dog from sucking eggs.
Give me the bacon without the sizzle.
Don’t hang your wash on someone else’s line.
Do God’s will, whatever the hell it may be.
Lick that calf again? (Say what?)
Why shear a pig?
Don’t snap my garters.
A guilty fox hunts his own hole.
Quit hollering down the rain.
Don’t rile the wagon master.
Better to keep your mouth shut and seem a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
The barn door’s open and the mule’s trying to run. (Your fly’s down.)
Don’t get all her up about it.
There’s a big difference between the ox and the whiffletree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom