• Offensive Line

Votes: 16 7.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 112 49.6%

• Total voters

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
On a side note...was Charlton the lead recruiter for Welliver? That may influence what they do with him.

Reaction Score
How come FCS schools in the Northeast can pass the ball and have found decent QBs?

Four FCS QBs from the Northeast:

URI: Kasim Hill, from DC transfer from Tennessee, 6-2, 234 lbs, 1,116 yards, 8 TDs, 4 Ints.

UNH: Max Brosmer, from Georgia HS, 6-2, 221 lbs., 1,231 yards, 12 TDs, 1 Int.

Fordham: C.J. Montes, from Cailf., transfer from New Mexico, 6-2, 205 bs., 1,046 yards, 13 TDs, 0 Int.

Hoy Cross: Matthew Sluka, NY HS, 6-2, 216 lbs., 781 yards, 10 TDs, 1 Int. 364 yards rushing, 4 TDs.

If Fagnano were still at Maine he might be on that list but look at how he turned out.

The problem runs deeper.

Reaction Score
The defense was all second and third string and they were playing soft.

Roberson seems like a classic practice and camp type player who can't process at game speed.
I get that part, but we never even try those things otherwise. His throws seemed decent. At least they were past the LOS.

Reaction Score
I still can't believe Mora didn't pull him after that

He said in postgame that the play call there was not good and that it would be evaluated. A very subtle dig at Charlton.

Reaction Score
I am as frustrated as anyone on many of Charlton play calls, especially the second and long calls. However, I have to believe that after 4 games Charlton and Mora must be essentially on the same page as the our basic game plan each week. That tells me that neither Mora or Charlton have a lot of confidence in any of our quarterbacks throwing consistently accurate passes down field.( I am factoring in the fact that our receivers are weak as a group and that we need very accurate throws to get any completions.) Maybe Roberson has never been a very accurate throwing college quarterback. Or maybe he just hasn't fully recovered from last year's injury. In any case, there is very little to be optimistic about in regards to our passing offense going forward this season. I have some doubts that playing Zion Turner would improve our offense by any large degree. Last year had trouble reading coverages and did not run any of Charlton designed RPO's or option pitch run plays very well.. He had more speed than Roberson seems to have at this time. Zion was able scramble for extra yards and run an occasional quarterback draw effectively last year. Of course, he was only a true freshman last year and hopefully he will improve a lot going forward. It will be interesting to see if the staff burns Zion's red shirt for this year. Beyond any improvement in our quarterback play, it appears that our hope for any victories this year may be a big game running the football and our defense playing lights out ( last year's formula for victory). I will be there cheering our Huskies on but it has been a very disappointing season so far.

Reaction Score
I am as frustrated as anyone on many of Charlton play calls, especially the second and long calls. However, I have to believe that after 4 games Charlton and Mora must be essentially on the same page as the our basic game plan each week. That tells me that neither Mora or Charlton have a lot of confidence in any of our quarterbacks throwing consistently accurate passes down field.( I am factoring in the fact that our receivers are weak as a group and that we need very accurate throws to get any completions.) Maybe Roberson has never been a very accurate throwing college quarterback. Or maybe he just hasn't fully recovered from last year's injury. In any case, there is very little to be optimistic about in regards to our passing offense going forward this season. I have some doubts that playing Zion Turner would improve our offense by any large degree. Last year had trouble reading coverages and did not run any of Charlton designed RPO's or option pitch run plays very well.. He had more speed than Roberson seems to have at this time. Zion was able scramble for extra yards and run an occasional quarterback draw effectively last year. Of course, he was only a true freshman last year and hopefully he will improve a lot going forward. It will be interesting to see if the staff burns Zion's red shirt for this year. Beyond any improvement in our quarterback play, it appears that our hope for any victories this year may be a big game running the football and our defense playing lights out ( last year's formula for victory). I will be there cheering our Huskies on but it has been a very disappointing season so far.

He read them well enough to gash a bunch of teams on the ground last season. We really haven’t seen that happen consistently with TR.

I think Zion does Zone reads better.

Why are worried about preserving redshirts in this portal era?

Reaction Score
Fagnano stunk and so does Roberson.

Roberson looks decent once the game is decided and defense slacks off. In baseball terms he is a AAAA level minor leaguer. Looks good at AAA but never can play at MLB.

His fefusal to dive hard at the fumble in the first half directly led to a Duke TD. I would have benched him right there. Announcers correctly called him out for mailing it in.

More critical, his refusal to pull the ball and call his own number on the zone reads is further evidence he isn't all in for the team.

Meanwhile the only QB to win six games in a season at any time over the past decade is a year older and healthy and hasn't played a snap all year.
Your comment in second paragraph is so true. Disgraceful. Off the field, sit for rest of game.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
We have to give Turner his shot next game right? I can’t see them sticking with Roberson from now on. This is embarrassing
To whom will he throw with a reasonable chance at a reception?

Reaction Score
Most depressing of all is the realization that the instant this team falls behind by two scores the game is over given the current personnel on offense and the abysmal play-calling. Other than Rosa and Houston there hasn't been a single skill position player on offense who has shown me anything that gives me even a glimmer of hope.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I get that part, but we never even try those things otherwise. His throws seemed decent. At least they were past the LOS.

Dickie V used to have have a thing where he named players who looked great walking off the bus and during warm ups but couldn't perform come game time. That is Roberson.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Most depressing of all is the realization that the instant this team falls behind by two scores the game is over given the current personnel on offense and the abysmal play-calling. Other than Rosa and Houston there hasn't been a single skill position player on offense who has shown me anything that gives me even a glimmer of hope.
And they play them separately as featured back, never together. God forbid.

Reaction Score
Turner has had his shot. He played 13 games last year and averaged just 112 yds passing / game. Pretty bad. Would things suddenly get better if we just back to him? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Granted, Fagnano & Roberson have been no better. I thought they would be, which is why I was optimistic going into this year.

But the common denominator in both seasons is Charlton. Our playing calling has been predictable and ineffective. Maybe it just feels this way (I don’t have the stats) but it seems like we rush 90% on second and long and get stuffed more times than not. It’s not working & yet out approach never seems to change.
I just don’t see what going to Zion would do. We’ll still be running the same terrible offense and the receivers will still be dropping balls. I’m all for getting the younger guy reps, but giving him a redshirt season isn’t a bad move either.

Reaction Score
I just don’t see what going to Zion would do. We’ll still be running the same terrible offense and the receivers will still be dropping balls. I’m all for getting the younger guy reps, but giving him a redshirt season isn’t a bad move either.
More mobility and better reads. In addition, he provides more confidence. He’s already proven himself to be better.

Reaction Score
Why don't we hire Rob Ambrose as an offensive consultant for the rest of the year? He was fired from Towson last year and made ~$400k. He was at UConn from 2002 to 2008, QB coach in 2002 to 2004 and was Dan O's QB coach, PGC/QB coach in 2005, and OC/QB coach from 2006 to 2008 before leaving for the head coaching job at Towson.

Reaction Score
The offense is terrible because every position group has fallen off from where it was last year, and the play calling has too. I don't know what can be done about the other position groups but at QB we should try going back to ZT, who, in addition to winning 6 games, did a good job moving the chains with his feet and a pass here and there. It wasn't enough to put up a lot points or big stats but it did help shorten games and gave our punter the opportunity to make teams start drives from deep in their own territory. I think Duke must have started about 5 posessions from around midfield or better. And ZT did make a few big plays in the passing game. I don't recall seeing any yet this year. It might not yield different results, but then again, it might. We have to do something.

Reaction Score
Having an OC whose only experience is University of Maine probably does not help

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom