• Offensive Line

Votes: 16 7.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 112 49.6%

• Total voters

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Our offensive line is performing well below what was expected, especially considering we brought back four starters from last year.

Our receivers aren't accomplishing much of anything, especially compared to a year ago when we were down to third and fourth team players by mid season.

There has been almost nothing about what we've seen from our QB's to be pleased with. A quality season opening drive and a couple flashes during games that were basically over mixed in with quite a bit of mediocrity.

I won't criticize the running backs as a) we've seen a handful of quality runs and b) they are very dependent on holes the OL can create and relief the threat is a passing game can provide.

The play calling hasn't helped us, and in all candor, the near disastrous inside pass when two RBs collided may have derailed the entire season for us while still in the season opener. Not only did our offense appear shaken after that play, we haven't looked right since.

The coaches warrant blame, the players warrant blame, hell, there's enough blame to go around that everyone except the students. Cheerleaders and band deserve some for our offensive ineptitude.

On Charlton, I don't know what changed from the guy who found a way to squeeze out some quality plays a year ago to what we see now. Keep in mind however, as we complain about how FCS FCS schools can develop offenses, if we hadn't hired him from Maine he would be the exact profile that many are now clamoring for. His offense played a major role in Maine's run a half decade ago, which led to his getting the HC job there when Harasmyak (sp) left. There is no guarantee that the next guy we grab (young offensive mind with a pretty good track record) won't end up in the same boat.

We need a massive amount of improvement on many levels before we can consistently accomplish what we want accomplished here. It sucks that after what appeared to be a legitimate step forward a year ago has (at least so far) been followed up with backsliding to basically where we began in early August 2022. We need a spark. We need something that will rekindle hope in the current season before what is left of our fan base decides showing up to USF and SHU won't be worth the effort.

Reaction Score
Charlton is the biggest issue.
The entire offense seems shell shocked. Coaching scared clearly leads to playing tentatively.
I think we miss Guidone a lot.
The amount of drops are unacceptable.
If McDonald is any good give him the ball in the Spring and don't look back.
But Charlton has proved himself and the results speak for themselves. Our guys are not worse then every D1 program.

Reaction Score
Something that caught my ear near the end of the press conference was Coach Mora said how at the end of practice he felt it was the best Tuesday of the season the defense has had. He asked Charlton how it went with the offense and Charlton said it was their best Tuesday also. Great to hear on the effort of the team. It also means Charlton is it as far as the offense goes. Do any FBS schools have head coaches that do not oversee both sides of the ball? JM has put a lot of faith in Charlton.

Reaction Score
Rosa does not have pretty good vision... he runs into our o-line a lot. Carter had good vision to hit other open holes, Rosa does not
He breaks for big yardage and finds his way, but I said pretty good not great. He does run into the backs of his lineman a lot, but I think it’s because he wants to get to daylight fast and isn’t comfortable waiting for slow line play to develop and ads crashing down on him fast. Beating the edge with speed is a no go for us despite our OC’s preoccupation with doing so.

Reaction Score
Our offensive line is performing well below what was expected, especially considering we brought back four starters from last year.

Our receivers aren't accomplishing much of anything, especially compared to a year ago when we were down to third and fourth team players by mid season.

There has been almost nothing about what we've seen from our QB's to be pleased with. A quality season opening drive and a couple flashes during games that were basically over mixed in with quite a bit of mediocrity.

I won't criticize the running backs as a) we've seen a handful of quality runs and b) they are very dependent on holes the OL can create and relief the threat is a passing game can provide.

The play calling hasn't helped us, and in all candor, the near disastrous inside pass when two RBs collided may have derailed the entire season for us while still in the season opener. Not only did our offense appear shaken after that play, we haven't looked right since.

The coaches warrant blame, the players warrant blame, hell, there's enough blame to go around that everyone except the students. Cheerleaders and band deserve some for our offensive ineptitude.

On Charlton, I don't know what changed from the guy who found a way to squeeze out some quality plays a year ago to what we see now. Keep in mind however, as we complain about how FCS FCS schools can develop offenses, if we hadn't hired him from Maine he would be the exact profile that many are now clamoring for. His offense played a major role in Maine's run a half decade ago, which led to his getting the HC job there when Harasmyak (sp) left. There is no guarantee that the next guy we grab (young offensive mind with a pretty good track record) won't end up in the same boat.

We need a massive amount of improvement on many levels before we can consistently accomplish what we want accomplished here. It sucks that after what appeared to be a legitimate step forward a year ago has (at least so far) been followed up with backsliding to basically where we began in early August 2022. We need a spark. We need something that will rekindle hope in the current season before what is left of our fan base decides showing up to USF and SHU won't be worth the effort.
First, we were 0-4 last season against FBS opponents to start the season, similar to this year. And, UConn has not been outscored as much as last year. That said, some things are different.

According to PFF stats, the OL is not performing below expectations. What you are seeing is the OL can not offset the poor schemes, poor play calling, predictable offense, and no scrambling or running by the QB. The opponents never have to worry about Roberson running or a vertical pass game, so we are easy to defend. Wide out screens? It's usually 3 defenders against 1 or 2 blockers. In my opinion, you can not run Charlton's offense with no vertical passing game and no scrambling or running from the QB as it is too easy to defend.

The WRs are dropping the ball more than last year including one of our best pass catchers from last year, Joly.

Our TEs are not blocking effectively, which is a problem.

We have committed 6 turnovers and our opponents have committed 1. We have had 5 fumbles and lost 4. Our opponents have 6 fumbles, but they have lost 1.

On defense, UConn has been gashed by running QBs. In fact, in 3 games, the QB was the leading rusher and in the 4th, he was the second leading rusher.

Tackling has been poor. Most noticeably, Jackson Mitchell has graded poorly when it comes to tackling which is big change form last year. That said, we have held 3 of the 4 teams to below their season average in yards.

Finally, Caratan has been punting well, but we are allowing 12.5 yards per return.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Charlton is the biggest issue.
The entire offense seems shell shocked. Coaching scared clearly leads to playing tentatively.
I think we miss Guidone a lot.
The amount of drops are unacceptable.
If McDonald is any good give him the ball in the Spring and don't look back.
But Charlton has proved himself and the results speak for themselves. Our guys are not worse then every D1 program.

Walker at C instead of Jake has been a huge downgrade in performance.
Walker does good in space when he has to pull but cannot withstand a bull rush straight at him.
Fortin has been in program for 3 years and hasn't broken in to starting lineup.

Also stunts up the middle destroy UConn when they go between C amd LG.

Reaction Score
Something that caught my ear near the end of the press conference was Coach Mora said how at the end of practice he felt it was the best Tuesday of the season the defense has had. He asked Charlton how it went with the offense and Charlton said it was their best Tuesday also. Great to hear on the effort of the team. It also means Charlton is it as far as the offense goes. Do any FBS schools have head coaches that do not oversee both sides of the ball? JM has put a lot of faith in Charlton.
I think coaches are a lot more one-sided biased than people realize especially as they have to come up as assistants. Maybe some handle both sides of the ball but I tend to look at them like soccer managers who have some strengths and usually let their assistants handle key tasks.

Reaction Score

It’s FAR more common than you realize. Frankly, I don’t like it for us at this point in time.

I hope he can find a DC and a new OC this offseason.

Reaction Score
I think coaches are a lot more one-sided biased than people realize especially as they have to come up as assistants. Maybe some handle both sides of the ball but I tend to look at them like soccer managers who have some strengths and usually let their assistants handle key tasks.
Jim is a defensive guy. He knows offense, but as a manager ya gotta let your OC run it. OC presents the game plan to HC to clear. HC has total rights to step in an do whatever he wants, but you hire people .

Ultimately .it is Jim’s ass and from all reports, he isn’t gonna take poor performance.

Reaction Score
First, we were 0-4 last season against FBS opponents to start the season, similar to this year. And, UConn has not been outscored as much as last year. That said, some things are different.

According to PFF stats, the OL is not performing below expectations. What you are seeing is the OL can not offset the poor schemes, poor play calling, predictable offense, and no scrambling or running by the QB. The opponents never have to worry about Roberson running or a vertical pass game, so we are easy to defend. Wide out screens? It's usually 3 defenders against 1 or 2 blockers. In my opinion, you can not run Charlton's offense with no vertical passing game and no scrambling or running from the QB as it is too easy to defend.

The WRs are dropping the ball more than last year including one of our best pass catchers from last year, Joly.

Our TEs are not blocking effectively, which is a problem.

We have committed 6 turnovers and our opponents have committed 1. We have had 5 fumbles and lost 4. Our opponents have 6 fumbles, but they have lost 1.

On defense, UConn has been gashed by running QBs. In fact, in 3 games, the QB was the leading rusher and in the 4th, he was the second leading rusher.

Tackling has been poor. Most noticeably, Jackson Mitchell has graded poorly when it comes to tackling which is big change form last year. That said, we have held 3 of the 4 teams to below their season average in yards.

Finally, Caratan has been punting well, but we are allowing 12.5 yards per return.
Punt coverages are terrible.

Reaction Score
The opponents never have to worry about Roberson running or a vertical pass game, so we are easy to defend. Wide out screens? It's usually 3 defenders against 1 or 2 blockers. In my opinion, you can not run Charlton's offense with no vertical passing game and no scrambling or running from the QB as it is too easy to defend.
This ^^^^^................ I needed a timeout from social media after disgustingly watching this putrid offense hand off 3 times a row, throw bubble screens or sideline passes over and over and over......down 3 or 4+ touchdowns again and again and again. Do they think this ball/clock control FB is anything that a fan wants to waste their time sitting through ! ( I left the game at halftime the 1st time ever ........because Charlton/Mora's plan to play out this loss was so pathetically predictable )

I am a diehard of diehards since the Memorial days, like alot on this board. But I just can't watch anymore of these defensive HC's (going on 4 now) who all come to Uconn and talk a good game but somewhere along the line all convince theirselves that fetal position offense and winning games 21-14 games, is sustainable. (and I don't buy the NE football angle either) To me last year shows now that 6-6 was an anomaly, and took alot of things to go wrong by the opponents, not the other way around...with Zion and the conservative sets /play calling. But nothing at all was done over the summer to fix or spread out the offense, like any normal team would, who plays for nothing ( to make it fun for us an Indy), so here we go again.

It's downright pathetic football and I wish they would realize the only reason they are getting paid is that this should be entertainment for fans/students, etc. on our Saturdays. So it blows my mind that every coach we've had in our recent FBS history reverts to a show grind it out, stay in front of the chains offense when they come to Storrs. That opponents are just licking their chops and can't wait to jump up with 8 or 9 in the box vs. these useless formations, as they watch Uconn self-destruct. Whose only plan on offense seems to be hand offs to keep the score down, while running out the clock. IMHO...end of rant !

Reaction Score
I remember watching the spring thing and Drawdy was by far the best WR. He he was the one wide out who got separation. He caught everything. He was also talked about very highly during the spring practices.

Come the fall and he's like bigfoot. Is he injured?

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
All are problems.

I would rank issues of offense here.

1. WR
2. Charlton
3. QB .

All are contributing factors. RBs are good. OL isnt great, but it has some good players on it.

They need to play Rosa and Houston at the same time.
Welp….

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You know who used to love zone blocking and refused to do anything else? George DeLeone. He even made a video on it. And I'm sure you all remember how well his tenure went here as our OC.

Look, I'm not enough of an expert to say whether or not it's the right strategy. But...I don't have to be an expert to say that it's NOT WORKING! The results say that for me.

Either we try something new from the OC or we try someone new at the OC...

Reaction Score
I wonder how much of this is defenses adjusting and us not figuring out a way to handle it?

There was that article on the athletic about how us as well as a ton of big schools were using slide rpos extensively last year and defenses were trying to figure out how to stop it.

The running game drop off just doesn’t make much sense otherwise. I don’t think we have the talent at wr or qb and last year we had very little margin of error, we can’t afford the additional dropped passes we’ve had.

Not a fan of charlton but mora doesn’t get off Scott free. He can call out a play call here and a play call there all he wants, but a couple bad play calls hasn’t been the problem it’s been this horizontal offense hasn’t worked. If mora wanted a more aggressive offense it would happen

Reaction Score
Think pretty much all are to blame but the WR corp is just about the worst I think ever seen at UConn. We've been subjected to terrible QBs through the years, but the WR are just so bad.
Mora made a comment today. He said that they worked hard to find WR’s “but we’re not P5.” So the real problem has reared it’s ugly head. Can’t get kids to Storrs. Despite Mora.

Agree with another post. We lost much more than we gained in Transfer Portal.

Reaction Score
Mora made a comment today. He said that they worked hard to find WR’s “but we’re not P5.” So the real problem has reared it’s ugly head. Can’t get kids to Storrs. Despite Mora.

Agree with another post. We lost much more than we gained in Transfer Portal.
It's not a good enough excuse. Most G5 teams (nearly all) have a QB who can throw (or at least run), and a WR or two that can run a route and catch.

FIU QB had 284 pass yds against us.
Ga St QB had 145 passing, and 145 rushing against us.
Nearly every team in the country, at all levels, has had a single "good" offensive performance by this point in the season.

"Were not P5" is not a good enough reason to not throw into the wide open middle of the field, or the wide open area beyond 15 yards, when all the other "not P5's" can do it...most without the level of investment that we have.

Reaction Score
It's not a good enough excuse. Most G5 teams (nearly all) have a QB who can throw (or at least run), and a WR or two that can run a route and catch.

FIU QB had 284 pass yds against us.
Ga St QB had 145 passing, and 145 rushing against us.
Nearly every team in the country, at all levels, has had a single "good" offensive performance by this point in the season.

"Were not P5" is not a good enough reason to not throw into the wide open middle of the field, or the wide open area beyond 15 yards, when all the other "not P5's" can do it...most without the level of investment that we have.
Using our conference status as a crutch, publicly, is a really bad look.

You're the head coach. You run the program. Figure it out. If you can't, then leave so we can find someone else who will.

There are tons of competent QBs and WRs out there nowadays. It's not like it's 1980 and we're searching far and wide for a high schooler, JUCO or transfer that knows what a spread offense is. All these kids are getting specialized training and skill development. There's no reason we should have the worst WRs and worst QB in every game we play, every year.

Reaction Score
It seems to me that our run game is developing much more slowly this season. I don’t quite get that. It wasn’t like Zion was throwing it around. He didn’t run much either. So teams could focus on the run then too. Backs just seemed to hit holes more quickly. Plays developed more quickly. Or am I imagining it?

Reaction Score
100%... it's a lame excuse when most of the schedule is G-5 and as you posted and we've seen over and over recently or in the AAC.. Plenty of programs have no problem playing wide open FB and find numerous players to play in those spread offense schemes. Which besides being watchable to anything Mora and Charlton run for 2 years now. It always "gives you a chance to hit back with quick scores to overcome stuff " that can and will go wrong in games, like bad officiating as an Indy ( see ACC refs), TO's, giving up long TD's, etc.

Plus it'd be nice to Uconn still trying to punch in TD's late in games like GA ST. and others have done over the years up big, while trying to rub it in.....in the last few minute(s) of a game. Instead of Uconn FB always playing like a bunch of victims hoping to run the clock run out so they don't give up 50...SMH!

Reaction Score
This quote...yeah sure Nick....When have you ever tried to stress out an opponents defense with aggressiveness...and passing LOL !
Reminds me of Diaco's 1st presser (" We're gonna throw it down the field, ALOT !" ) or Edsall 2.0 (" Everyone plays 7 on 7's now ", you have to play fast/ aggressive) .... what a bunch of frauds, SMH!

Reaction Score
The problem is QB. Has been for a decade.

Amazingly, even when we had a QB with NFL ability (Boyle) we were still unable to get production from the QB.

Reaction Score
Amazingly, even when we had a QB with NFL ability (Boyle) we were still unable to get production from the QB.
I feel that was more an OL problem than a QB problem.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom