Why is the board so hard on Dez Conner? | The Boneyard

Why is the board so hard on Dez Conner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is it his writing style on his blog? Is it that he is an admitted Syracuse Orange fan?

I happen to like Dez's stuff on UConn but is there some back story I'm missing? Has he been unfair to Calhoun/UConn etc? Anything?

I'm curious as to why the board always mocks his "whats good?" line, I think its his go to line like Mills Lane had "lets get it on!".

Reaction Score
He's a Pasqualoni apologist. If you were in his chats last year, they were a macabre theater of the absurd.

Is it his writing style on his blog? Is it that he is an admitted Syracuse Orange fan?

I happen to like Dez's stuff on UConn but is there some back story I'm missing? Has he been unfair to Calhoun/UConn etc? Anything?

I'm curious as to why the board always mocks his "whats good?" line, I think its his go to line like Mills Lane had "lets get it on!".

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Dez's reporting is fine. Some just want more of it. Others could do without the sometimes rabbit eared defense of why there isn't more. There was a long running drama about what access Randy would or wouldn't grant. Still others find his sometimes all-knowing attitude off-putting. It usually occurs when he is trying to defend the program and it is assumed it is to protect certain relationships. The Syracuse thing isn't so much a dig, but fodder for banter with the fans. He has been a good conduit for information on the program.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
He's a Pasqualoni apologist. If you were in his chats last year, they were a macabre theater of the absurd.
Ahhh Ok, I don't do the chats. I have disagreed with Dez about the talent on hand going back to when Will Beatty was here and he was telling me UConn didn't have anyone on the roster close to George Selvie in ability.

I do think he undersells UConn's overall talent level, but that's just a matter of opinion.

Reaction Score
Ahhh Ok, I don't do the chats. I have disagreed with Dez about the talent on hand going back to when Will Beatty was here and he was telling me UConn didn't have anyone on the roster close to George Selvie in ability.

I do think he undersells UConn's overall talent level, but that's just a matter of opinion.

Desmond Conner uses the talent excuse to cover up for Pasqualoni and Deleone's lack of coaching effectiveness.

Even last season when it was obvious that Deleone was doing a terrible job he was making excuses and parroting Pasqualoni. "He's working 18 hours a day!".

Reaction Score
Dez does a good job. He does fall into the pack mentality of the press covering UConn football. Once an opinion gets established, they all toe the line.

The UConn didn't have the talent to compete with SU or Rutgers dogma got reverberated in the echo chambers and all of them, Dez included, and they just ignored contrary evidence like the L'ville or NC State game. It didn't fit their premeditated story line that Pasqualoni's problem was a lack talent. The predominate Boneyard view that the problem was on the sideline not the field actually has much more evidence to back it up.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Most of the comments above tell the story.

I will add that personally I don't think he gives enough insight or opinion. When he gets questions he gives very bland answers. His blog should be the place where he can give his honest perspective on things....but he is so cautious...probably worried he will lose access...that his answers don't really say anything.

A good contrast for me is Rich Cimini. I am a Jets fan...and I love reading his blog because he will actually give his opinion on things. he will say what is and isn't working and will comment on the coach's actions. I know college and pro are different, but I still think Dez can step out a little bit more.

I think both Chip and Silver are better at providing insight.

Reaction Score
Because he doesn't agree with the central premise of most Boneyarders that Pasqualoni and George DeLeone are unholy monsters sent from the future to destroy UConn Football before it gets too good.

This is the Internet. We don't allow nuance. It can't be because we started a first-year BCS QB or an almost entirely new and pretty unspectacular offensive line or wide receivers who have trouble making the big play or running backs who can't produce yards. And it sure as heck can't be a combination of things.

It's Pasqualoni. It's DeLeone. And if you disagree, duck you because you're a ducking idiot.

That's pretty much it.

I will say there are other writers I prefer, like John Silver, but preferring someone and feeling the need to constantly over someone are two very different things.

Reaction Score

Because Lee Lewis and Mike DiMauro are not worth the time.

Reaction Score
Yeah because every BCS team with a first year QB had the worst offense in BCS football.

The excuses you Pasqualoni people make defy reason.

Because he doesn't agree with the central premise of most Boneyarders that Pasqualoni and George DeLeone are unholy monsters sent from the future to destroy UConn Football before it gets too good.

This is the Internet. We don't allow nuance. It can't be because we started a first-year BCS QB or an almost entirely new and pretty unspectacular offensive line or wide receivers who have trouble making the big play or running backs who can't produce yards. And it sure as heck can't be a combination of things.

It's Pasqualoni. It's DeLeone. And if you disagree, duck you because you're a ducking idiot.

That's pretty much it.

I will say there are other writers I prefer, like John Silver, but preferring someone and feeling the need to constantly over someone are two very different things.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I've found some of his blog entries to be defensive at times. I understand it's a blog and that format can lead to the author expressing their opinions and such but he's supposed to be the beat writer for the football team for the major paper in CT. If someone asks him a question he doesn't like or feels is a slight on him he'll respond with a two to 5 word answer and that's it when it's a mailbag question.

I have not been to the chats but I've heard that his defenisveness comes through a lot in there when he decides to answer questions that he feel are not what he wants to hear or answer.

Overall I don't have a problem with him unlike a lot of folks here but I do feel he could do more. Is that out of his control? Possibly. Would challenging or taking a tougher stand on some issues cause him to lose access to the program? Also possible. As I like to say to my wife, I don't understand or know the ins and outs of your job so I try not to criticize too much. :D

pj

Reaction Score
Dez does a good job producing material but none of it is adventurous and most of it is publicly available or released by the team. I read his stuff but rarely does it provide new insight.

Since it almost all comes from P or GDL, watching Dez carry material onto the web is like watching Lyle McCombs or Scott McCummings carry the football into the line. It's very predictable, and on the rare occasions when it looks like Dez has broken a big play, like the GDL to the Giants scoop, you soon realize that actually it wasn't Dez's story, he was just carrying out GDL's play call, and GDL screwed up the play by running it at the wrong time.

He could have developed other, non-UConn sources, and run stories on conference realignment showing us how TV networks and other conferences/schools regarded UConn. That would have attracted a big readership. He didn't.

There's another side to this. The Boneyard culture has decayed since its early days, when it was full of excited fans having fun together. Now it displays a lot of the things I dislike about Connecticut culture; a lot of negativity, a lot of critics who do nothing themselves, discouraging people who are actually trying to achieve something. It's why things rarely get done in Connecticut -- look at all the uncompleted highways, for example. So I sympathize with people like Pasqualoni and Dez who are trying to do something. Still, they could do better. There was no excuse for last year's offense, and Dez's writing defines prosaic.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Des got very thin-skinned this past season.

My perspective was that he personally likes PP and GDL and took any criticism of them and of his coverage of the team too personally.

It wasn't unreasonable for fans and readers of the paper to ask why an offensive coordinator who had the knowledge to wallpaper a room full of his plays couldn't get the offense to perform. As others have said, DC's default was that there just wasn't any talent on offense and that Edsall left the cupboard barren.

Most of us Uconn fans have seen a decade of of players develop in a consistent manner on both offense and defense. Des felt that there was a two year abberation which perfectly coincided with GDL's tenure. Coupled with anecdotal stories of there being a toxic atmosphere between players and coaches on offense and there's plenty of stories out there. DC didn't produce anything about them.

Bottom line is that for me, DC's coverage has devolved from being the go-to source for Uconn football to a one-of-many source.

John Silver has blown past DC in terms of quality and quantity.

Reaction Score
Yeah because every BCS team with a first year QB had the worst offense in BCS football.

Not excuses. Context. Did every first year BCS QB start behind that O-line with a Center who had never snapped a ball in a BCS game? With an undersized running back and wide receivers who lack the speed to get separation or catch the ball when they do?

The problem is that you want the world to be black and white. It's all Pasqualoni's fault. None of it Whitmer's, none of it the ragtag OL, none of it McCombs, none of it the WR's, none of it our kicker. Zero.

You want the world to be simple. It isn't. Simple people see simple explanations to complex problems.

Call me an apologist all you want. If the alternative is just mindless blaming of the coach, then I'll stick to my guns, thanks.

Reaction Score

ZooCougar, How about giving it a break. Your comments have to be the most negative on the board. Do you think your comments help in any manner shape or form? What exactly have you done to help grow the UConn football program? Enough!! Let the coaches do their job.

Reaction Score
Not excuses. Context. Did every first year BCS QB start behind that O-line with a Center who had never snapped a ball in a BCS game? With an undersized running back and wide receivers who lack the speed to get separation or catch the ball when they do?

The problem is that you want the world to be black and white. It's all Pasqualoni's fault. None of it Whitmer's, none of it the ragtag OL, none of it McCombs, none of it the WR's, none of it our kicker. Zero.

You want the world to be simple. It isn't. Simple people see simple explanations to complex problems.

Call me an apologist all you want. If the alternative is just mindless blaming of the coach, then I'll stick to my guns, thanks.

Is it that unreasonable to believe that GDL's offense was so bad, and they showed little to no ability to make in game adjustments, that it may have cost us 3 games? Is that so unbelievable to you? Why can't it be a little bit of both?

Reaction Score
Is it that unreasonable to believe that GDL's offense was so bad, and they showed little to no ability to make in game adjustments, that it may have cost us 3 games? Is that so unbelievable to you? Why can't it be a little bit of both?

It's not so unbelievable, no. My suspicion is that it was a little from both. I remember quite a few plays last year where I thought the playcall was actually quite good, but the execution was terrible, i.e., a sack or a missed block or something. Though there were some serious errors on the coaching stuff, like leaving Whitmer out there to get hurt and not really trying other RB's.

Then again, Edsall's playcalling used to drive me up a wall, but when you have Jordan Todman, sometimes you can afford to just run the ball up the middle 3 straight downs.

Reaction Score
There were 120 FBS schools in 2012.

UCONN finished

110th in total offense
118th in scoring
112th in first downs
117th in rushing
113th in rushing td's scored

The numbers for 2011 are just as bad. Yet it took Warde Manuel's intervention before Pasqualoni demoted George DeLeone. How anyone could justify this is beyond me. Desmond Conner was front and center defending DeLeone, and attacking those with different opinions, which says to me he cared more about sucking up to them then being a purveyor of information. And let's be frank, he's just a very bad writer, defensive, and has zero ability at nuance. If he was more prolific, those traits are easily ignored. Still the animus towards him is a professional animus, and the "whats good" stuff is just a simple way for those who wish his work product would be better use to frame his opinions.

Reaction Score

Irish Loops' theory is the talent on last year's offensive line was horrendous, McCombs was trash, and that even Dan Radakovich or Howard Mudd (google them if you don't know) couldn't coach them up.

For this to be true, that means Edsall & Co. (including Foley) failed to bring the same talent in 2009-10-11 they brought in the years previous to that, when Foley produced six All-Big East linemen (two pros) and UConn averaged over 160 yards rushing for five straight years (2006-10).

UConn averaged 118 yards rushing in 2011 and 97.2 in 2012. This was either the fault of crappy players or a predictable, plodding, un-adjusting, uncreative offense that relied on smashmouth 3 yards and a cloud of dust football when counters, misdirection and bubble screens were called for. How many of the last three types of plays did we see?

So in my opinion it was clearly B. Warde Manuel agreed. Thank God Loop is not the AD.

OK Loop, now you can go back trolling the BY with Des.

1. @Irish_Loop@desmondconner lol I just love playing Devil's Advocate on the BY, you know how it is.

View conversation
  2. Desmond Conner@desmondconner@Irish_Loop oh and another shout out for gettin my back today. Laughed a good while on a couple comments. Thanks buddy... #springpractice

Reaction Score
OK Loop, now you can go back trolling the BY with Des.

Troll?

Dude. I have written over 2500 messages on this board. I actively participate in an ongoing conversation about our sports team in our community.

I am sorry you don't agree with me and that I am actually friendly to the people who cover this team. I am so very, very sorry.

My theory, since you seem so compelled to assign me ideas, is that a combination of talent graduating/leaving the program, a couple of weak recruiting classes, new starters at skill positions, bad luck/momentum, and poor coaching decisions led to back-to-back mediocre seasons. I think it could've been a lot worse. Heck, Edsall ain't exactly basking in glory at his Dream Job no matter how hard y'all keep patting him on the back for what he used to do.

I don't think Pasqualoni is the perfect coach for this program, but I am not sure there are a ton of brilliant minds who want to come to our program, with our conference situation, and our regional/institutional recruiting issues, and our lack of history, and turn us into a BCS contender.

But I don't think he's done such a terrible job to get fired. Heck, if he deserves to be fired, St. Edsall probably should've been gone twice as fast. But coaches tend to get three years to build a program because any shorter than that and it's hard to make enormous changes. For anybody.

But I could be wrong. I'm just a troll on the Internet.

Reaction Score
personally I think it is both. the team going to Fiesta Bowl, lost its starting qb, its only offensive game breaker, and some very talented offensive lineman.

In P's first year a walk on quarterback and a 160 pound running back, what a best he inherited at the respective positions. They did blow some games because of the coaching however Vandy comes to mind.

this is the year.. no excuses in year three. is literally win or go home for P.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My reasons:

1. Little to zero insight
2. Completely in the tank for PP
3. Ridiculously defensive when challenged
4. Dislike the Jesus/religious stuff on twitter

Reaction Score
In this case "Devil's Advocate" = troll. Nothing wrong with having a twitter conversation with Des, but to leave this board and go to another social media forum to trash people here isn't real cool.

And enough with that "St. Randy" crap. There is ZERO similarity between the situation Edsall took over in 1999 and what PP was handed in 2011. Edsall was asked to build a I-A program from scratch (and yes, out of trailers, though he did overplay that hand). I knew he made a poor decision the minute I heard Maryland because, as events has proved, he's too secretive and thin-skinned and can't handle the scrutiny of the Baltimore-Washington media market. But UConn/Hathaway/McHugh trumped that bad decision by deciding the best "brilliant mind" available was someone who hadn't coached in college for seven years (but was buddies with our friends in the CT HS football coaches Assn).

PP inherited a program with a $50 million facility, $90 million stadium, and a team that won at least eight games and went to a bowl the previous four seasons. Not an incredibly high bar to clear. There were 17 RETURNING STARTERS from that 2010 team. True, QB was an incredible weakness. But your boys PP and GDL, with a fourth-quarter lead on the road at an SEC school and a defense playing out of its mind and possessing the ball at midfield, decided it would be a brilliant idea to pass with a walk-on QB. Hello, road to 10-14 and two non-bowl seasons.

We're going to find out in a few months if TJ Weist is the exception to your "brilliant mind" theory. Somehow Boise State out in the middle of nowhere with far more disadvantages than ones you ascribe to UConn managed to work their way to the top. Until this conference stuff sorts itself out, that's what UConn has to be, Boise East. And with the ability to pay a head coach $1.5-$2 million a year, which fewer than 50 schools can.

The key to this upcoming season will be how much freedom (and internal cooperation) TJ gets to run a 21st century offense instead of the 1960s offense that you somehow haven't noticed has been used the past two seasons -- despite your keen ability to break down the most intricate details of offensive line play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom