Why is Memphis able to overcome the AAC stigma with recruits? | The Boneyard

Why is Memphis able to overcome the AAC stigma with recruits?

Reaction Score
Title says it all. Just honestly curious if there’s a reason or just hiring the right coach in the perfect circumstance.

Reaction Score
Memphis has great recruits in its back yard and Penny is the sexy new name right now. They have a ton of momentum, and I'd imagine there's some impermissible benefits involved (to be fair, happens at every school - some go further than others). Also helps that their recruits seemed to have established relationships/friendships from high school and AAU.

Reaction Score
The catalyst of their huge offseason was getting James Wiseman who is a Memphis guy. His relationship with Penny was huge getting him there and he has the golden ticket to as many minutes as he can get on his way towards becoming a top pick in the '20 draft.

There are two other key Memphis residents who were Memphis recruits: #105 center Malcolm Dandridge was Wiseman's high school teammate while #114 combo guard Damion Baugh is another Memphis resident, so in a sense Memphis has a bit of luck of having the #1, #3 and #4 recruit from the state play high school ball in Memphis. Penny's Memphis roots no doubt helped seal the deal there.

With those three recruits, you have a very good, top-25 level haul. Penny is a wildly popular guy within AAU circles so combine that and a dedicated Memphis bred core helped bring in Precious, Boogie, Jeffries and Quinones.

However, Wiseman being a Memphis guy is the biggest catalyst.

Reaction Score
Most likely a mixture of hiring a former NBA local star who ran the AAU scene and a historic high school program and some money to throw around to recruits. Kids are easily enamored. You get Wiseman to commit via some funny money and hiring his coach and immediately it's a "destination"

Reaction Score
The catalyst of their huge offseason was getting James Wiseman who is a Memphis guy. His relationship with Penny was huge getting him there and he has the golden ticket to as many minutes as he can get on his way towards becoming a top pick in the '20 draft.

There are two other key Memphis residents who were Memphis recruits: #105 center Malcolm Dandridge was Wiseman's high school teammate while #114 combo guard Damion Baugh is another Memphis resident, so in a sense Memphis has a bit of luck of having the #1, #3 and #4 recruit from the state play high school ball in Memphis. Penny's Memphis roots no doubt helped seal the deal there.

With those three recruits, you have a very good, top-25 level haul. Penny is a wildly popular guy within AAU circles so combine that and a dedicated Memphis bred core helped bring in Precious, Boogie, Jeffries and Quinones.

However, Wiseman being a Memphis guy is the biggest catalyst.
Agreed, that is why I don't buy on to "Penny is a master recruiter" hype. That being said James Wiseman is a gift from God for their program but I have my doubts that Penny will be able to keep the momentum going. At least now with the big east of the Penny tanks after our series is up in 4-5 years or whatever we can just dump them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FWIW the American isn't necessarily a bad conference for everyone. It was a bad a conference for us though. The AAC is a step up for Memphis both in money and exposure and it makes more sense for it geographically.

I don't think their current recruiting binge has much to do with the conference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
KO recruited well for a couple years when he was young and charismatic

Championship didn’t hurt

But you know there$ other thing$ going on with Memphi$

Without knowing what they paid, I’d still say they are getting their money’s worth. Good for them.

This has been going on so long and the NCAA has created a rules environment where the moral hazard is real and even criminal for some. Stay out of jail, but do whatever you want to break the NCAA rules without getting caught. I fully support it.

They let sneaker money ruin the feeder leagues and the NCAA. As a middle aged dude who could care less about shoes in any respect, it is super odd that “cool shoe” marketing ploys are to blame for a good batch of the sleaziness in NCAAB, but that’s where the money is I guess. Everyone knows it and the NCAA can’t ban the sneaker money from itself and the schools cause they want the money just like the shady recruiting dealers do. Pay players all you can without going to jail, and make sure you become a valuable enough program for the NCAA so they can’t kill you when you get caught. It’s the NCAA way.

Reaction Score
There is no AAC stigma for recruiting.

Ollie recruited a top five class in the AAC. He just didn't know what to do after they got on campus. Hurley recruited a top 20 ecuiting class before the NBE news was released. There is no AAC stigma. It's just a figment of imagination by folks who overvalue the NBE.

Reaction Score
Isn’t the real question how does Villanova manage to overcome the Big East stigma and get a top 5 class?

The reality is that Big East recruiting is decidedly mediocre with the exception of Villanova. We would hsve th #2 class in the Big East this year as we do in the AAC.

MSG baby MSG!

Reaction Score

Ollie recruited a top five class in the AAC. He just didn't know what to do after they got on campus. Hurley recruited a top 20 ecuiting class before the NBE news was released. There is no AAC stigma. It's just a figment of imagination by folks who overvalue the NBE.

Ollie’s top-5 recruiting class was partly off the heels of the 2014 title. You’re blind if you can’t see that top players would rather play in NBE than AAC.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Back for more? Knock yerself out.
But why?

Reaction Score
Agreed, that is why I don't buy on to "Penny is a master recruiter" hype. That being said James Wiseman is a gift from God for their program but I have my doubts that Penny will be able to keep the momentum going. At least now with the big east of the Penny tanks after our series is up in 4-5 years or whatever we can just dump them.
I wouldn’t hate on Penny too much. He’s the one coach in the American who gave respect to UConn and Hurley after the exit announcement. Hurley ain’t doing so bad either!

Reaction Score
Except for the facts you are right Hans. I get it. Hurley is looking to build a regional power, not necessarily a national one and the UConn brass is good wi5h that. It is easier it is cheaper and they will probably sell a few more tickets for a few years. But Calhoun built his recruiting the west coast, the southeast, the Midwest, basically wherever good players were found. Hurley has made it pretty clear when he talks recruiting he intends to focus on the northeast. The Big East fits that profile. Plus MSG Baby!

Reaction Score
Let's not get too excited about Memphis just yet. It was one year and as people pointed out there were a lot of AAU connections between Hardaway and some of those recruits. Let's give it some more time before anyone declares, "Why Memphis is able to overcome the AAC stigma with recruits."

I am really curious to see how they do this year. Having a bunch of ranked freshmen doesn't always turn out that well.

Reaction Score
I think I said this elsewhere, but Penny, had it not been for injuries, if not a top 50, would be a top 100 player in NBA history and even with injuries, still had a good career. I still see him on highlight videos on youtube sometimes along with MJ and Kemp. He was very well known as a player (thanks to those commercials, I don't think I need to link to them) and he has a name people recognize, so recruits will, maybe not flock, but at least be interested. And since he is the hot "young" (young by coach standards) name, they will buy (maybe literally, $$$$$$), into what he is saying. Mix in a little (potential) cheating and there you go. If he doesn't do anything with this class, if Memphis struggles and is NIT or worse his name will quickly fade IMO. He has a a great class, now do something with it, nab a top 5 seed this year.

Reaction Score
Memphis always was able to lure recruits since it was in CUSA. Right coach and matters if no illegalities going on. Ollie did have some good recruits, they just didn't develop in his system.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak