Why is Diaco petrified to pass? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why is Diaco petrified to pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We had the ball at the end of the game with a chance to win so agree about Diaco trying to give us the best chance to win. However there are plenty of pass plays that are thrown in 2-3 seconds. Our QB is inaccurate. Without his running we would be shut out. We had better be recruiting QB's who can run. I don't know how Davis is in this regard. Marshall won 10 games for the third year in a row. Their defense was good, quick, tackled well. Our D needed to play better which is asking alot but they had their chances. Frustrating game for our side but I am happy they got the chance at a Bowl. I think the team will be back more determined next year.

Agree, problem is we don't have the offense to do anything with the ball at the end of the game. And the coaches and players don't know how to manage the clock at the end of the game. Have to be better prepared with both if this is our style.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
How DARE he have an opinion!

Reaction Score
If it was his sophomore season I could maybe see it but not heading into his senior year, Ron Johnson on the other hand.... I haven't seen anything to back it up but I would not be surprised in the least if he took off.

Shouldn't speculate about these things. Not cool.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Shouldn't speculate about these things. Not cool.
If that's how you feel that's fine but the guy who scored our lone TD didn't touch the ball after that. That's a problem and all I'm saying is I would not blame him one bit.

Reaction Score
The passing game becomes harder when you keep your tailback in to block while sending out your 300 lb offensive tackle across the middle.

He was open every time they tried to go to him. Don't get it, the same people who blame the coaches for being too predictable complain when they try something like this.

Not that the logic makes much sense anyway.

Reaction Score
If that's how you feel that's fine but the guy who scored our lone TD didn't touch the ball after that. That's a problem and all I'm saying is I would not blame him one bit.

I just think that with some work in the weight room and on catching the ball in the open field, he can be very effective for us next season. Newsome can't carry the ball on every down and as far as I know we don't have any stud RB's coming in next season.

Reaction Score
So maybe we should have throw deep more than one if it took an exception effort to stop it. no?
No. BS can't throw long, the line can't give him the time, and the receivers can't outrun anyone. We need quick hitters, and they can't be to the same person on the same route. And I don't know why I feel like I have to say that out loud.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, our offensive game plan is worse than Coach P's and much worse than TJ's.
Diaco tries to have our defense and field goal kicker win the game. Number 4 is not a QB but a slightly above average runner. There are probably 4-6 players on the defense faster - and any team that shadows the QB is well on their way to beating us.
It is not exciting football to watch and the redeeming value is only if it produces a 9-6 win or something like that. When you lose like that there is nothing good about it.
Number 4 isn't a QB and NC State was moving him to tight end before Diaco rescued the QB illusionary dream.
It's amazing how Diaco can recruit a wide receiver playing this style. True, our OL is not very good but there are a lot of teams that have below average OL that produce much better passing attacks.
First off UConn football has always been built off of strong defenses. And the "slightly above average runner" has thrown for 2,000 yards and runs because the pocket collapses on him every other play. Who would you prefer to start? The guy with one career game as the solo QB with a record of winning 3 games he's played in or the true freshman? And if you look at the incoming recruiting class, all the receivers are built for this scheme. Quayvon Skanes and Keyion Dixon are going to be great in this system simply because of their speed and running ability. Wins are wins and if you think this offense is worse than any of Pasqualoni's then you clearly don't watch or understand UConn football.

Reaction Score
ZOOCONN said:
He sure did, I don't blame him one bit, all he has done this season is make spectacular play after spectacular play for us and this is how you work him into the game?

You don't blame him for going to social media and complaining??? Really. That is not being a leader at all. He wants to complain or question scheme, he can keep it in the locker room. Very dissapointing.

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score
You don't blame him for going to social media and complaining??? Really. That is not being a leader at all. He wants to complain or question scheme, he can keep it in the locker room. Very dissapointing.
I dont at all, as dooley said, it shows he has some fight and the passion that i want in a player. you tell me, did the scheme suck? because i sure think it did. now if he had gone out and said these coaches are morons etc etc. then yea i think that would have been too far but showing that your upset over a game you easily could have won because not only were your talents not used to their fullest extent but not utilized at all then no, i do not blame him.

Reaction Score
ZOOCONN said:
I dont at all, as dooley said, it shows he has some fight and the passion that i want in a player. you tell me, did the scheme suck? because i sure think it did. now if he had gone out and said these coaches are morons etc etc. then yea i think that would have been too far but showing that your upset over a game you easily could have won because not only were your talents not used to their fullest extent but not utilized at all then no, i do not blame him.

We will agree to disagree here.

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score
We will agree to disagree here.
i appreciate this exchange, too many times the conversations on here devolve into name calling and get totally off base. i respect your view and i understand it just in this case we disagree.

Reaction Score
To all the people saying we can't pass block, running all game scored us 10 pts. You need to throw and run, regardless of how bad the oline is.
that logic gets the QB injured and Boyle into the game.

Reaction Score
that logic gets the QB injured and Boyle into the game.
Not if you throw swings and screens and slants and down and outs. Quick passes. Passes that frustrate pass rushers. The scheme sucks.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not if you throw swings and screens and slants and down and outs. Quick passes. Passes that frustrate pass rushers. The scheme sucks.
From what I remember we did attempt quite a few screens and swing passes.

As far as slants and down & outs, our QB hasn't shown proficiency with accuracy nor a quick release. Our first pass attempt inside the hashmarks could have been picked off. I imagine that if we did attempt the approach that so many are professing and got blown out (due to turnovers), the theme of the day would have been to have played to our strengths as that would have been better coaching,

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
From what I remember we did attempt quite a few screens and swing passes.

As far as slants and down & outs, our QB hasn't shown proficiency with accuracy nor a quick release. Our first pass attempt inside the hashmarks could have been picked off. I imagine that if we did attempt the approach that so many are professing and got blown out (due to turnovers), the theme of the day would have been to have played to our strengths as that would have been better coaching,

30.0 QBR for the game. And one gift-wrapped pick dropped.

Yeah, we would have won if we passed more.

Sorry to admit, but Marshall was better on offense and defense yesterday. And specials.

Reaction Score
Sorry to admit, but Marshall was better on offense and defense yesterday. And specials.

The only thing they were better at was offensive game planning--and we still held them to one touchdown.

Reaction Score
I mean really. He is afraid to pass the ball. I think we targeted 2 passes to WRs in the first 58 minutes.

If you don't pass that means running into a loaded box for the entire game. That might work against SHU but not any balanced BCS team. It's embarrassing. Many high school passing games are more sophisticated.

The players are smart. They know Diaco don't trust them. It's amazing the WRs can stay in the game and still block for the backs.

The odd thing is his defense is also afraid of the pass. Huge cushions. Safties 20 yards deep. It's all so very bizarre.

If the line can't block... try the shotgun...but I hope we recruited some OLmen...and yes, have Anderson in for plays, too...

Reaction Score
Update: Thomas is further engaging with fans/Boneyarders on Twitter on this matter. I know transfer speculation is generally verboten, but I hope to God this isn't the sign of something big.

I hope he won't...but, again, I think he will....wish I could tweet him and tell him that he should stay...but I think that would be a violation...

Reaction Score
I hope he won't...but, again, I think he will....wish I could tweet him and tell him that he should stay...but I think that would be a violation...

Do you drink all day?

Reaction Score
If the line can't block... try the shotgun...but I hope we recruited some OLmen...and yes, have Anderson in for plays, too...

Agree about the shotgun. Has anyone watched Toledo this year? Shotgun on almost every play, every pass usually out by 3 seconds. Toledo allowed 4 sacks in 411 pass attempts with the least experienced OL in the FBS (only 4 career starts). Toledo's offensive scheme helps the OL in the passing game, no question. But I guess that's not "hard-nosed, smash-mouth football" so our coaches won't consider it.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Agree about the shotgun. Has anyone watched Toledo this year? Shotgun on almost every play, every pass usually out by 3 seconds. Toledo allowed 4 sacks in 411 pass attempts with the least experienced OL in the FBS (only 4 career starts). Toledo's offensive scheme helps the OL in the passing game, no question. But I guess that's not "hard-nosed, smash-mouth football" so our coaches won't consider it.

I still think Alabama is better than Toledo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom