Why is Diaco petrified to pass? | The Boneyard

Why is Diaco petrified to pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I mean really. He is afraid to pass the ball. I think we targeted 2 passes to WRs in the first 58 minutes.

If you don't pass that means running into a loaded box for the entire game. That might work against SHU but not any balanced BCS team. It's embarrassing. Many high school passing games are more sophisticated.

The players are smart. They know Diaco don't trust them. It's amazing the WRs can stay in the game and still block for the backs.

The odd thing is his defense is also afraid of the pass. Huge cushions. Safties 20 yards deep. It's all so very bizarre.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I keep seeing this sentiment and don't get it. Our OLINE sucks ass. We cannot pass block for even 3 seconds. This team passing is a recipe for lost yardage.

Those are the reasons. Not because he doesnt want to win as Ive seen suggested many time. All of the playcallING has to work around the framework of a terrible OL. Let's keep this in mind. Next year better be different.

Reaction Score
I keep seeing this sentiment and don't get it. Our OLINE sucks ass. We cannot pass block for even 3 seconds. This team passing is a recipe for lost yardage.

Those are the reasons. Not because he doesnt want to win as Ive seen suggested many time. All of the playcallING has to work around the framework of a terrible OL. Let's keep this in mind. Next year better be different.
You don't have to block three seconds. You can throw bubble screens, slants, down and outs. You can play action pass.

The scheme sucks.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
You don't have to block three seconds. You can throw bubble screens, slants, down and outs. You can play action pass.

The scheme sucks.

You can't play action pass if you don't block. What are you talking about? We can run a slant successfully, which is a "guarantee" play which requires no blocking. You can only run a slant so often before it turns into a pick six.

Sherri fs is another issue. He has Blane Gabbert type awareness and fear in the pocket.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The passing game becomes harder when you keep your tailback in to block while sending out your 300 lb offensive tackle across the middle.

Reaction Score
Let's give credit when it is due, well before the game it was mentioned from many sources that Marshall had a top 20, maybe even better, FBS pass defense.

How many times did the commentators ask why BS waits so long to run when his 1st, 2nd, 3rd looks indicate receivers are covered?

The one time he threw deep, the defender made an exceptional play to knock the ball away.

Then again, maybe our receivers don't have the talent to break tight coverage, as opposed to so many times we moyiced Marshalls receiver's break free"

How many times did a freshman QB pass successfully from the end zone?

Then again, maybe it was suggested to him not to take too many chances running.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, our offensive game plan is worse than Coach P's and much worse than TJ's.
Diaco tries to have our defense and field goal kicker win the game. Number 4 is not a QB but a slightly above average runner. There are probably 4-6 players on the defense faster - and any team that shadows the QB is well on their way to beating us.
It is not exciting football to watch and the redeeming value is only if it produces a 9-6 win or something like that. When you lose like that there is nothing good about it.
Number 4 isn't a QB and NC State was moving him to tight end before Diaco rescued the QB illusionary dream.
It's amazing how Diaco can recruit a wide receiver playing this style. True, our OL is not very good but there are a lot of teams that have below average OL that produce much better passing attacks.

Reaction Score
You can't play action pass if you don't block. What are you talking about? We can run a slant successfully, which is a "guarantee" play which requires no blocking. You can only run a slant so often before it turns into a pick six.

Sherri fs is another issue. He has Blane Gabbert type awareness and fear in the pocket.
Now read the whole post.

Reaction Score
Let's give credit when it is due, well before the game it was mentioned from many sources that Marshall had a top 20, maybe even better, FBS pass defense.

How many times did the commentators ask why BS waits so long to run when his 1st, 2nd, 3rd looks indicate receivers are covered?

The one time he threw deep, the defender made an exceptional play to knock the ball away.

Then again, maybe our receivers don't have the talent to break tight coverage, as opposed to so many times we moyiced Marshalls receiver's break free"

How many times did a freshman QB pass successfully from the end zone?

Then again, maybe it was suggested to him not to take too many chances running.
So maybe we should have throw deep more than one if it took an exception effort to stop it. no?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
To all the people saying we can't pass block, running all game scored us 10 pts. You need to throw and run, regardless of how bad the oline is.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
To all the people saying we can't pass block, running all game scored us 10 pts. You need to throw and run, regardless of how bad the oline is.

Sounds pretty simple when you put it like that

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score

The scheme sucks.
This x1000 when Noel Thomas is favoriting my tweet saying the offensive scheme sucks, that's a problem.

Reaction Score
ZOOCONN said:
This x1000 when Noel Thomas is favoriting my tweet saying the offensive scheme sucks, that's a problem.

Please don't tell me he liked that tweet. If that is true, very dissapointed in him.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Kind of makes you nostalgic for the days before social media when you could live in blissful ignorance of those things.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Update: Thomas is further engaging with fans/Boneyarders on Twitter on this matter. I know transfer speculation is generally verboten, but I hope to God this isn't the sign of something big.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Our line can't block and our QB is very inaccurate. Take today's game, throw in a number of sacks (and possibly a fumble or two caused by the sacks) and another interception or two and the game would have been a nightmare. As it was, if Adams wraps up their running back, the 40+ yard gain that killed us would have been a two yard gain and we would have had a legitimate chance of getting the ball back near midfield with neatly five minutes left, down three.

A major part of Diaco's job is to give us the best chance of winning. It can easily be argued that the approach we took today was in fact that.

Reaction Score
Update: Thomas is further engaging with fans/Boneyarders on Twitter on this matter. I know transfer speculation is generally verboten, but I hope to God this isn't the sign of something big.

Really? Being frustrated on a loss and zero catches and retweeting what fans are tweeting @ him makes the leap that you just made?

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
If it was his sophomore season I could maybe see it but not heading into his senior year, Ron Johnson on the other hand.... I haven't seen anything to back it up but I would not be surprised in the least if he took off.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Really? Being frustrated on a loss and zero catches and retweeting what fans are tweeting @ him makes the leap that you just made?

Most players don't broadcast those frustrations on social media.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
It's happened more and more. Off the top of my head, I know of Texas, LSU, and Ohio State players all doing this as well this year. These kids get frustrated and are quick to post. I no longer read much into it.

Reaction Score

But a lot do in all levels of sports. It is what it is these days - I just wouldn't make the quantum leap you did over a few retweets/favorite/likes after a rough day. Might just be me...

Reaction Score
Our line can't block and our QB is very inaccurate. Take today's game, throw in a number of sacks (and possibly a fumble or two caused by the sacks) and another interception or two and the game would have been a nightmare. As it was, if Adams wraps up their running back, the 40+ yard gain that killed us would have been a two yard gain and we would have had a legitimate chance of getting the ball back near midfield with neatly five minutes left, down three.

A major part of Diaco's job is to give us the best chance of winning. It can easily be argued that the approach we took today was in fact that.

We had the ball at the end of the game with a chance to win so agree about Diaco trying to give us the best chance to win. However there are plenty of pass plays that are thrown in 2-3 seconds. Our QB is inaccurate. Without his running we would be shut out. We had better be recruiting QB's who can run. I don't know how Davis is in this regard. Marshall won 10 games for the third year in a row. Their defense was good, quick, tackled well. Our D needed to play better which is asking alot but they had their chances. Frustrating game for our side but I am happy they got the chance at a Bowl. I think the team will be back more determined next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom