Why is Caroline a natural at PG and Bria a natural at SG? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why is Caroline a natural at PG and Bria a natural at SG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree with most of what has been posted here. More recently, there was a quote from Geno re Bria playing point/off the ball. He said she lost some of her agressiveness when she was playing point and that was not good.
I think ideally he wants CD to start at point so Bria can play off the ball and start the game agressively, with the hope that when CD then sits, he can shift Bria to the point and her having started the game agressively will carry over. It is one of the toughest transitions for star players on less talented high school teams joining teams with more consistent talent at the next level to understand when to shoot and when to pass. This is especially true for guards and especially for point guards. I think this also points to CDs struggles when she started playing the point at Uconn, and to Tiff's failures when she was trying to run point. It can get into a players head, and I think CD had a much higher shooting percentage her first year when she was playing off guard.
I wouldn't call them struggles as much as simply adjustments. When playing the point and running a team many shooters fall off in percentage at first because their first responsibility is now different. Their first responsibility is now to put the TEAM in position to succeed and that means making sure players are in the correct positions, calling the plays, beginning the play in time and sync to deliver the ball to the open player in the best position and if it happens to become opportune be prepared to take a shot and/or other scoring opportunity. Many new to the position at UConn find themselves so involved in the former the last suffers to some degree.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You are correct. She only shot 32.3% on 3's in 2009-10.
32.3 is not bad 3 point shooting is is just not very good 3 point shooting. When she shot 40% her freshmen year that was exceptional but many of her shots were wide open and uncontested On top of all the responsibilities of running the team when you have the ball in your hands at the PG position you often have fewer uncontested good looks. Rene Montgomery only shot .311 her soph and jr years while running the point and came up to .381 as a sr.

Reaction Score
32.3 is not bad 3 point shooting is is just not very good 3 point shooting. When she shot 40% her freshmen year that was exceptional but many of her shots were wide open and uncontested On top of all the responsibilities of running the team when you have the ball in your hands at the PG position you often have fewer uncontested good looks. Rene Montgomery only shot .311 her soph and jr years while running the point and came up to .381 as a sr.[/quote

How about Sue & Dianna?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Icebear said:
32.3 is not bad 3 point shooting is is just not very good 3 point shooting. When she shot 40% her freshmen year that was exceptional but many of her shots were wide open and uncontested On top of all the responsibilities of running the team when you have the ball in your hands at the PG position you often have fewer uncontested good looks. Rene Montgomery only shot .311 her soph and jr years while running the point and came up to .381 as a sr.[/quote

How about Sue & Dianna?

You can do the research as I did. It is all in the UConn archives. But yes, Sue shot a lower % as a freshman during the games she played. Even 42% Jr vs 47% as a Sr. Diana shot only 39% as a Sr.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
How will Banks fit into the guard situation. She is a 2 right? So does she back up Hartley. I read that she never plays point. Is this right?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Something to consider this season and even more so next season. We have a big post player who can score. With a post player who can score you can kick it inside which will force defenses to collapse in the middle leaving someone open. When you have a post player like Stef who can pass and score I see opportunities for her teammates to score almost uncontested. Thus open shots. Renee and Caroline had Tina. Tina drew alot of attention that left Caroline and or Renee open thus shooting percentages were up. I think we will see alot of that this season and for the next few seasons. We have alot of height and alot of height coming in next season. This is going to make it very tuff to defend us.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Something to consider this season and even more so next season. We have a big post player who can score. With a post player who can score you can kick it inside which will force defenses to collapse in the middle leaving someone open. When you have a post player like Stef who can pass and score I see opportunities for her teammates to score almost uncontested. Thus open shots. Renee and Caroline had Tina. Tina drew alot of attention that left Caroline and or Renee open thus shooting percentages were up. I think we will see alot of that this season and for the next few seasons. We have alot of height and alot of height coming in next season. This is going to make it very tuff to defend us.
Yes, and Sue and DT had Williams and Jones. Given Tamika closed out at 70% she definitely required attention.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, for whatever it's worth, this will be Bria's ultimate breakout year. I hope we have the luxury of Caroline effectively running the point while Bria pours in the points...but I'm too worried about CD's fragility...My expectation is that as things evolve, Bria will prove impossible to put on the bench....and will take over PG. Hope I'm wrong about CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom