Why I think the 2013 Huskies will be better than last year | The Boneyard

Why I think the 2013 Huskies will be better than last year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://abitofeverythingblogger.blogspot.com/2012/09/four-reasons-why-2013-huskies-will-be.html

Just a few thoughts of mine

The 2012 Huskies struggled mightily against Big East opponents they should have beat, while coming frustratingly close to knocking off a top 5 team in Syracuse twice, once in regular season, and once in Big East Tournament play. The type of inconsistency the Huskies played with, almost knocking off the Orange, while losing to Rutgers and Providence maddened Huskies fans and was seen as wasted talent by some.

Though not able to participate in post season play because of questionable NCAA decisions, this year’s Uconn team will be better than last. What the 2013 team lacks in NBA potential will be made up two fold in hard work, confidence, and moxie. Let’s take a look at why this year’s team will be better than last year.

1. A Chip On Their Shoulders
The 2013 Uconn team will be looking for revenge, after being punished by the NCAA for academic reasons in which none of the current team had anything to do with. If that doesn’t fire the squad up, Coach Jim Calhoun most certainly will. Calhoun, who thrives off of controversy and doubt (see the ’05 ’06 laptop scandal), will have plenty to motivate him, as his ethics and reputation came into question by the NCAA, along with rumors of his retirement. Look for Calhoun to brush away pestering uncertainty of the future this upcoming season.

2. Lowered Expectations, Not Always A Bad Thing

Expectations for the 2012 Uconn team shot up, after the arrival of top recruit Andre Drummond last year. Whether unfairly or not, many were anticipating a similar final four and championship run as the 2011 team. Truthfully, the 2011 championship team had plenty of subpar moments, and the season was won not because of a dominant team, but a dominant player, with a good cast of sidekicks. Immense pressure was put squarely on the shoulders of a team without an experienced leader last season. There was no Kemba Walker in 2012. This season’s team will fall into the shadow of afterthought, to the rest of the country; exactly where Jim Calhoun likes it. The pressure is off this season, and experience will come through trial and error without the strain of living up to high expectations.

3. Distractions

Believe it or not, this year’s Uconn squad, coming off the chaotic off season it had, will have less distractions than last season’s. Andre Drummond’s last second commitment, Ryan Boatright’s ineligibility, Alex Oriakhi’s statements about his coach, Shabazz Napier’s statements about his teammates, and Jim Calhoun’s health were all distractions to last year’s team. This very likely affected the 2012 team’s cohesion last year, and could certainly have played a part in their disappointing season. Look for all that off the court drama to be gone this upcoming season.

4. Ryan Boatright

If you compare Freshman Ryan Boatright to Freshman Kemba Walker the similarities are striking. Both were small, speedy, high energy scorers with great athleticism and plenty of swagger. The case can even be made that Boatright was the better Freshman because of Walker’s tendency to play out of control. If Boatright can progress at the same level as Walker, the 2013 team should be much improved. Boatright has all the tools to become the next “Kemba Walker” or maybe he’ll be first “Ryan Boatright”. I believe Ryan Boatright will have a breakout year this upcoming season, and he will be one of the major reasons why this year’s Uconn team will be better than last year’s.

H

Husk-E

I would hope everyone thinks we'll have a better year than last. I know most see this as a rebuilding year, but anything would be better than last year. Last year was just ugly. Plus, we kind of of have a history of doing well when people don't think we will.

Reaction Score
All they really need to fix is chemistry, to me its that simple. Fix that and they will be 100% better.

Reaction Score
All they really need to fix is chemistry, to me its that simple. Fix that and they will be 100% better.

I agree that chemistry was a major issue last year, but I think you are either greatly oversimplifying the fix or are being subtly sarcastic. However, they defintely need to "fix" last year's chemistry issues.

Reaction Score
Simply put they will have 2 guys who play a major part who actually want to wear the HUSKY uniform with pride.......those 2 can replace the 2 guys who did last year and weren't Huskies in the end!! That's a great start right there......

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nothing more overrated than the "chip on the shoulder" effect.

Reaction Score

I will take the "chip on the shoulder" team who even loses ahead of the team with the underachieving whiners we saw last year....you would have to be way to spoiled to have any respect for the guys who have left the program since last year that's for sure....they were spoiled by Kemba's succcess and thought they were something they obviously weren't....so I will be happy with guys working their respective a**es off rather than worrying about wusses walking back to the bench upset why they were taken out........last year was a debacle this year can only be fun even at 12-16

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
last year was a debacle this year can only be fun even at 12-16

In that context, "fun" means "sucks". Like Expendables 2 was a "fun"movie

Reaction Score
It's all about the frontcourt: Olander, Wolf, Nolan, Tolksdorf and Daniels.

Olander is the only one who has any meaningful experience. Hopefully, he'll make that leap and become a solid big east player this year.

Maybe Daniels also will turn the corner and be a solid player.

The other three are complete unknowns, so hopefully they can at least play defense and rebound.

It's not like uconn was making layups last year anyway.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

2011 - down two scholarships - national champion

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Didn't they sing "Don't Pull Your Love Out on Me, Baby"?

This thread reminds me more of a Beatles line.

"Got to admit it's getting better, a little better all the time. It can't get no worse.."

(The upbeat main story is McCartney, the sarcastic insert is pure Lennon.)

UConn wasn't fun to watch last year and the chemistry issues were part of that. It everyone is on the same page, and playing with a chip on their shoulders, it will be a fun season, at least until March.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom