Why Hamilton picks up Rebounds | The Boneyard

Why Hamilton picks up Rebounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Quite frankly, the question has come up why Hamilton gets rebounds in bushels and others get 1 or 2 a game. So I decided to break it down for the folks out there.

First, as in all players who do something well, many rebounds are easy. That's because he knows to go to the weak side - and you generally just have to stand there - most of the boxing out is in front and on the strong side. And of course, more rebounds go to the weak side 60 to 65%.

Ok - so DHam creates that baseline of rebounds stats and then many games takes it to another level. The average fan (and we need all the paying fans we can get - so if you are one its not meant as a put down) may not appreciate that Hamilton keeps active - he finds the right lanes to get to the ball - he is starting to go after the rebound long before Brimah and Nolan even start thinking about it. True, in Brimah's defense often when you attempt a block shot it leads you out of position for the rebound. But, that doesn't explain Hamilton's superior offense rebounding. I won't get too technical here other to say the dude knows the game and playing with his older brothers vs playing soccer makes all the difference (sorry soccer moms).

He also is gifted with length and reach that help but let's not underestimate he is working at it long before a lower BB IQ player since they wait for it to come off the rim before they start to rebound.

If people think it's useful I can address what happens after he gets a rebound vs what other guys do - early next week. I hope this all helps.

Reaction Score
He's wiry-strong, very agile, and aggressive. Add in a knack/savvy for reacting to the shot, and you get a great rebounder.

The fact that he leads the league in rebounding and none of our 6'10 bigs can grab 6/game is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, the question has come up why Hamilton gets rebounds in bushels and others get 1 or 2 a game. So I decided to break it down for the folks out there.

First, as in all players who do something well, many rebounds are easy. That's because he knows to go to the weak side - and you generally just have to stand there - most of the boxing out is in front and on the strong side. And of course, more rebounds go to the weak side 60 to 65%.

Ok - so DHam creates that baseline of rebounds stats and then many games takes it to another level. The average fan (and we need all the paying fans we can get - so if you are one its not meant as a put down) may not appreciate that Hamilton keeps active - he finds the right lanes to get to the ball - he is starting to go after the rebound long before Brimah and Nolan even start thinking about it. True, in Brimah's defense often when you attempt a block shot it leads you out of position for the rebound. But, that doesn't explain Hamilton's superior offense rebounding. I won't get too technical here other to say the dude knows the game and playing with his older brothers vs playing soccer makes all the difference (sorry soccer moms).

He also is gifted with length and reach that help but let's not underestimate he is working at it long before a lower BB IQ player since they wait for it to come off the rim before they start to rebound.

If people think it's useful I can address what happens after he gets a rebound vs what other guys do - early next week. I hope this all helps.

Please tell me this is a joke.

Reaction Score
100261-Joe-Biden-shake-head-no-gif-Im-cWnq.gif

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Imagine all these years teams have been trying attempt to rebound on the strong side... they have been wrong 2/3rds of the time and no one has adjusted.

Reaction Score
That ranks among the most condescending posts I've read on the BY.

Reaction Score
Imagine all these years teams have been trying attempt to rebound on the strong side... they have been wrong 2/3rds of the time and no one has adjusted.
And how silly of them, given that virtually none of that "boxing out" thing is occurring on the weak side.

Reactions: caw

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
It helps immensely. I've been in a constant state of angst the past month whilst trying in vain to figure out how Hamilton or any basketball player manages to successfully rebound the ball. This post came right in the nick of time too, because I've smashed all but the last lightbulb in my house in frustration.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
That ranks among the most condescending posts I've read on the BY.
While I can appreciate how someone with very little boneyard awareness could come to such a conclusion, my superior oversight of the forum has allowed me to observe a plethora of more condescending posts. If you'd like me to learn you further on the subject please request and I will put together a syllabus for next week.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
joober jones said:
It helps immensely. I've been in a constant state of angst the past month whilst trying in vain to figure out how Hamilton or any basketball player manages to successfully rebound the ball. This post came right in the nick of time too, because I've smashed all but the last lightbulb in my house in frustration.

Quite frankly I don't appreciate the sarcasm.

Reaction Score
Really looking forward to next week's installment on what to do with the ball after it is rebounded.

Reaction Score
Chief00 said:
. But, that doesn't explain Hamilton's superior offense rebounding.

86 percent of Hamilton's rebounds are defensive.

C

Chief00

I get it - most of you have never played the game - hence its more a video game experience rather than from game playing learning. Not saying that to be condescending its just your reference point.
I agree the game is simple principles however if it was so easy as some of you suggest to apply those principles in a game our record would be better and we would score many more points.

When a shot goes up from a corner look at the rebound action - it's amazing how many guys choose to rebound from the strong side. In part that's where they were defensively.

I am glad at least one poster wants to learn more about how to transition from the rebound to the break - something we haven't done as well as KO would like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I get it - most of you have never played the game - hence its more a video game experience rather than from game playing learning. Not saying that to be condescending its just your reference point.
I agree the game is simple principles however if it was so easy as some of you suggest to apply those principles in a game our record would be better and we would score many more points.
Going to hang with DHam at a basketball game soon??

C

Chief00

Some day you will realize I wasn't kidding it was a simple miscommunication about timing. I was the guy in August of 2011 who said AD was enrolling that semester - I was the only one who said that then and there is a reason I knew it.

Reaction Score
AD committed in August...

And just look at DHam. Definitely doesn't have "length" and certainly not "reach"

He definitely does seem to have a nose for the ball, but we have been seeing that for like a month now.

C

Chief00

I posted it a couple weeks before it was announced; good try! LOL

If length was all you needed to rebound Brimah and Nolan would average double figures and Bazz never would have rebounded like he did. Don't underestimate desire and basketball IQ. Have you ever heard of Paul Silas, who later became an NBA coach? He was barely 6-7 wasn't a great leaper but was a very good rebounder, especially offensively. Quite frankly, he used to go out of bounds then backed himself in under the basket. I think they may have a rule against that now?

I do agree some guys are simply quick to the ball - Roscoe Smith comes to mind - and I won't make the argument he has a high BB IQ, let's leave it at that.

Last edited by a moderator:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Some day you will realize I wasn't kidding it was a simple miscommunication about timing. I was the guy in August of 2011 who said AD was enrolling that semester - I was the only one who said that then and there is a reason I knew it.

You said you had already seen him that night. Nothing you ever say will ever have any legitimacy.

Reaction Score
The one thing that is absolutely true is DHam has excellent court awareness. He knows where others are on the floor. TSam and Purvis have poor vision and are lousy weak side rebounders. They can jump well enough, but opponents routinely rebound over, around or through these guys on the weak side. DHam sees the ball and the other players on the court.

Reaction Score
Weakside rebounding is hardly from just "standing there". Weak side rebounding is also where your best "offensive" rebounders thrive so you better box out or get physical on that side also or you will not succeed. No doubt it's thinking ahead and timing also, knowing when they're going to shoot it as well as reading the carom, but being physical is a must to be real good.

Reaction Score
Agree, but before you create space and eliminate an opponents angle, you need to be aware. TSam and Purvis think that they are in good shape/position for a weak side rebound until they are not.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
If length was all you needed to rebound Brimah and Nolan would average double figures and Bazz never would have rebounded like he did.

Hmm, I see that both Brimah and Facey have about twice as many O boards as DHam while averaging 5 and 8 minutes less per game. And DHam, the "Superior Offensive Rebounder" by your decree, averages 1 (one) a game.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure I buy your "Superior BBIQ".

Reaction Score
Hmm, I see that both Brimah and Facey have about twice as many O boards as DHam while averaging 5 and 8 minutes less per game. And DHam, the "Superior Offensive Rebounder" by your decree, averages 1 (one) a game.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure I buy your "Superior BBIQ".

You only need to watch the game and what each player does to know who has the superior basketball IQ of those 3, and it's not close. You're point on offensive rebounding is well taken though but part of that would be served by how much he has the ball in compared to those 2 who get to camp down low and make things happen on the block. As a whole, we have blown on the offensive end rebounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom