2023 Recruiting: - Why five-star forward Taylor Bowen could be New England’s next great basketball star | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Why five-star forward Taylor Bowen could be New England’s next great basketball star

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reason why I don’t go by awards or rankings.
And yet you used McD AA as a reason to support your Hazelton comment when you were corrected. You have a problem with facts. How many times have you seen Bowen play that have enabled you to grade him with your “eye test”??

Reaction Score
And yet you used McD AA as a reason to support your Hazelton comment when you were corrected. You have a problem with facts. How many times have you seen Bowen play that have enabled you to grade him with your “eye test”??
Sounds like you don’t read and just like to argue. How many times top 50 kids always make it? You’re saying they are no busts? Rankings are for suckers. And please tell me the next time you’re going to watch a kid live in person with Kimani Young.

Reaction Score
Sounds like you don’t read and just like to argue. How many times top 50 kids always make it? You’re saying they are no busts? Rankings are for suckers. And please tell me the next time you’re going to watch a kid live in person with Kimani Young.
Quadrupling down on a bad take and then acting like everyone else are the ones being irrational…..

Reaction Score
Quadrupling down on a bad take and then acting like everyone else are the ones being irrational…..
Go ahead and think every kid is going to turn out to be a good player, fantasy world. All I said is I’m not impressed by the kid he’s not a 5* and care less if he committed bc we other players. If you want to get butt hurt about it go ahead.

Reaction Score
Go ahead and think every kid is going to turn out to be a good player, fantasy world. All I said is I’m not impressed by the kid he’s not a 5* and care less if he committed bc we other players. If you want to get butt hurt about it go ahead.
No, what you said is he doesn’t pass your “eye test”. And then used a bunch of non sensical words to try and back it up. But what’s clear is that you’ve never actually seen him play.

You should learn that when you are in a hole, the best course of action is to stop digging.

Reaction Score
Now boys...
Spider-Man GIF

Reaction Score
St George's School. Very nice.

I was just looking at video of Terrance Clarke's accident. He veered and hit a telephone pole and wasn't wearing a seatbelt.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'll ask a friend of mine about him. Coaches at St. Andrews so has probably seen him quite a bit. Looks like a nice player to me. If he has elite defense, that is huge.

Reaction Score
Also didn’t take a genius to know Kobe was gonna be pretty good
Jerry West definitely deserves credit and may very well qualify as a basketball front office genius. When Kobe came out of HS, it was rare for a wing and especially guards to be successful and that's likely why he was picked #13. The great HS players to make the jump were usually 6'10' or taller and Moses Malone and Kevin Garnett were the prototypes.

Reaction Score
Brewster Academy took on Word of God late Tuesday night in the final game of the night. Brewster fell short but Taylor Bowen and Reid Ducharme shined in each respective half of basketball.

In the first half, it was Bowen's show. The long and athletic forward played with relentless energy and was making his presence felt all over the floor. He came up with hustle plays, deflections and rebounds but that's not out of the usual for him. He did show an improved handle with a terrific move attacking the rim before spinning off his defender to finish on the other side of the rim. He also knocked down a deep jumper as a defender sagged off.

Reaction Score
What was key in being in Jim Calhoun's favor? Kinda think it is grit and toughness. Hazelton wasn't liked? I have an image of those practices.

Reaction Score
Are we still actively recruiting this kid? Feel like we have shifted to Justin Edwards.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'll ask a friend of mine about him. Coaches at St. Andrews so has probably seen him quite a bit. Looks like a nice player to me. If he has elite defense, that is huge.
No details. "very talented. long and athletic. decision making needs to improve." Says he will share a story about him next time we see each other.

Reaction Score
Are we still actively recruiting this kid? Feel like we have shifted to Justin Edwards.
They are not remotely the same player. Bowen is 100% front court who protects the rim, but could play at the 3 for stretches like Polley, Edwards is a 2-3 player that is very perimeter oriented. You wouldn't be recruiting Edwards to replace Akok. You would recruit Bowen to replace Akok. If we have backed off in any way it is not because we are recruiting Edwards. We should want both. All these kids have tight relationships with 1 or more of Castle, Karaban, and Clingan. We should have as good a shot as anybody depending on what an individual kid is looking for. Bowen is Akok with a straight line aggressive drive from the perimeter. He's a rim protector but not as good a rim protector as Akok, he is fast and quick to defend perimeter bigs, about the same deep shooter as Akok on 1-3 attempts per game, but Bowen has an aggressive offensive attitude to build on.

Reaction Score
They are not remotely the same player. Bowen is 100% front court who protects the rim, but could play at the 3 for stretches like Polley, Edwards is a 2-3 player that is very perimeter oriented. You wouldn't be recruiting Edwards to replace Akok. You would recruit Bowen to replace Akok. If we have backed off in any way it is not because we are recruiting Edwards. We should want both. All these kids have tight relationships with 1 or more of Castle, Karaban, and Clingan. We should have as good a shot as anybody depending on what an individual kid is looking for. Bowen is Akok with a straight line aggressive drive from the perimeter. He's a rim protector but not as good a rim protector as Akok, he is fast and quick to defend perimeter bigs, about the same deep shooter as Akok on 1-3 attempts per game, but Bowen has an aggressive offensive attitude to build on.

I thought this until last week when I watched 3 of Edwards games from Imhotep. Pure 3, leaning towards a 4... and not a 2 at all. Really only plays 4 in hs. Handles it in the open court like a 3, but very limited in half court.

He doesn't shoot it well at all. Scores off back cuts and other guys setting him up or rebound and pushing in the open court. Some 1v1 shot creation, but not nearly the driver I expected in the half court.I

His strengths are similar to Bowens... length, athleticism, versatility. Rebounding, defense. Edwards is a better passer and a slightly better handle. He's definitely got a higher IQ and better finshing than Bowen. Bowen is longer and probably a better defender... especially blocking shots.

Edwards is mostly a 3 with some minutes at the 4. Bowen can play 3 or 4, leaning more towards 4 right now. I still think we could recruit both but it would be a tough sell.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone have an accurate height/weight for Bowen and Edwards? I’ve seen Edwards from 6’6 - 6’7 and 160-180 lbs (pretty small for a 4) and Bowen 6’7 - 6’9 and 180-200 lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom